Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EDGE 100 greatest videogames list.

Options
  • 03-10-2015 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭

Well, it's a day of the week ending in y. that means a publication decided to put together a top 100 list. we all know that these things are extremely subjective and are more based on personal opinions than objective value, but this one struck me as odd in that it's weighed very heavily towards recent releases, so far that some games here are only out a couple of months or less.
    Anyway, i thought it's make a decent discussion so here t'is... :D

100 - WarioWare Inc
    99 - Spec Ops: The Line
    98 - Papers, Please
    97 - DriveClub
    96 - Braid
    95 - Super Hexagon
    94 - Her Story
    93 - Super Monkey Ball
    92 - Final Fantasy XII
    91 - Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
    90 - Katamari Damacy
    89 - Animal Crossing: New Leaf
    88 - Resogun
    87 - Puzzle Bobble
    86 - F-Zero GX
    85 - The Sims 3
    84 - R-Type Final
    83 - Elite: Dangerous
    82 - Bomberman
    81 - Starcraft II
    80 - Pac-Man Championship Edition
    79 - BioShock
    78 - CoD 4: Modern Warfare
    77 - Puzzle & Dragons
    76 - Tearaway
    75 - League of Legends
    74 - Super Meat Boy
    73 - Xenoblade Chronicles
    72 - Titanfall
    71 - Outrun 2006: Coast 2 Coast
    70 - Left 4 Dead 2
    69 - Counter-Strike Global Offensive
    68 - Civilization IV
    67 - Rez
    66 - Battlefield 4
    65 - Metroid Prime
    64 - Hearthstone
    63 - Castlevania SotN
    62 - Limbo
    61 - Towerfall: Ascension
    60 - Earthbound
    59 - Batman: Arkham Knight
    58 - Transistor
    57 - Puyo Puyo
    56 - FTL Advanced Edition
    55 - Persona 4 Golden
    54 - Mass Effect 2
    53 - Okami
    52 - The Stanley Parable
    51 - XCOM: Enemy Unknown
    50 - Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
    49 - The Witcher III
    48 - Far Cry 4
    47 - LittleBigPlanet 3
    46 - Trials Fusion
    45 - Nidhogg
    44 - Fez
    43 - Super Mario 3D World
    42 - Journey
    41 - Fire Emblem: Awakening
    40 - Dead Space
    39 - Dota 2
    38 - Vanquish
    37 - Super Mario Maker
    36 - Shadow of the Colossus
    35 - Halo 3
    34 - Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
    33 - Spelunky HD
    32 - Destiny
    31 - Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
    30 - Kerbal Space Program
    29 - Dishonored
    28 - Splatoon
    27 - Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
    26 - Rock Band 3
    25 - Skyrim
    24 - Drop7
    23 - Uncharted 2
    22 - Ico
    21 - Super Metroid
    20 - Demon's Souls
    19 - Advance Wars
    18 - Mario Kart 8
    17 - Ultra Street Fighter IV
    16 - MGS V: The Phantom Pain
    15 - Super Mario World
    14 - Red Dead Redemption
    13 - Super Mario 64
    12 - Portal
    11 - Bayonetta 2
    10 - Minecraft
    9 - Resident Evil 4
    8 - Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
    7 - Super Mario Galaxy 2
    6 - Tetris
    5 - Half-Life 2
    4 - Bloodborne
    3 - The Last of Us
    2 - GTA V
    1 - Dark Souls

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

GTAV shouldn't even be top 100, nevermind top 10.

Edit: Just seen MGSV. Nope, not getting dragged into this. Nope, nope, nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Arkham Knight?

Riiiiiight

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

First top 100 list ever that FF7 didn't make an appearance on ?
    The list is trash, but that's my opinion. There are games on that list that I've never even heard of, doesn't mean they're not good though.
    The list is EDGE's opinion, everyone has their own I guess
    Arkham Knight?

Riiiiiight

Yeah, ..... Far Cry 4 ?!?!?!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,414 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

FF7 isn't even the best final fantasy let alone Japanese RPG. persona 4 is on there and a far better game.

There's much more heinous crimes on that list. What the feck is Limbo and Dead Space doing on there for one and the only 2D shooter being the God awful R-Type Final stinks or someone that doesn't know their arse from their elbow when it comes to those games.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Every list thread should include all generic replies from every other list thread in the OP.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

well they're right about dark souls

curious lack of Stalker in the list though

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Reads like a top 100 list from someone that's just finished their Junior Cert in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Final Fantasy 7 should have been number 1, wtf? Worst list of anything, ever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    FF7 isn't even the best final fantasy let alone Japanese RPG. persona 4 is on there and a far better game.

Do you have an alarm that goes off whenever FF7 is mentioned on the gaming forum?

Anytime it gets mentioned you're there to remind us how overrated you think it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,436 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Resident Evil 4 at 9,,,RE2 is bloody miles better.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

I see home computers never existed besides Windows PCs. Elite, Alien8 and Zork must have been figments of my imagination.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

If there was a list for the worst top 100 lists, this list would probably be in the top 3.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,414 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Do you have an alarm that goes off whenever FF7 is mentioned on the gaming forum?

Anytime it gets mentioned you're there to remind us how overrated you think it is.

Never said it was over rated. Just quoting the truth.

Thank you for quoting the full list. Guaranteed they would have gone the ign route and had one item per page. Fuck that noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Lads lads lads, lists like these are designed solely to get clicks and comments (even more so than regular internet comment articles) and so they've purposely included a load of trash because people will share and comment on stories when they have a gripe with them and won't if they agree with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Never said it was over rated. Just quoting the truth.

Truth according to Retro :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Crazy list. So many games that won't even be remembered in 2 years time.

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Truth according to Retro :p

I hear they're called opinions these days.:pac:

What can I say. Go play Persona 4, Lucifers Call, Etrian Odyssey, Grandia 2 etc. I'll be here awaiting an apology :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The moment you post 'I can't believe [blank] is/isn't included!' or variations thereof they have won. Who are they are is uncertain, and frankly irrelevant. What's important is that you don't want them to win, because they've probably some sinister motives and/or are lizards.
    Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Lads lads lads, lists like these are designed solely to get clicks and comments (even more so than regular internet comment articles) and so they've purposely included a load of trash because people will share and comment on stories when they have a gripe with them and won't if they agree with them.

Actually the list didn't even originate online - it's just pulled from a one-off Edge standalone issue, featuring substantial new writings about all the games featured. Frankly, I reckon the list was as much determined by what games the writers were keen to write about as anything else (hence the presence of many recent titles). The whole '100 greatest whatever' is likely still a good way to sell magazines, and even though rankings are utterly pointless, it's probably just being used as a marketing-friendly way of publishing a whole lot of retrospective articles in one volume, and make some money in the process.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

So many poor games on that list its ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭jackrussel

There's much more heinous crimes on that list. What the feck is Limbo and Dead Space doing on there for one and the only 2D shooter being the God awful R-Type Final stinks or someone that doesn't know their arse from their elbow when it comes to those games.

seriously, you need to have a chat with yourself. ive resisted to comment about it but no more. like another poster said, you constantly bash FF7 - constantly. we know your opinion on it, why bring it up EVERY SINGLE TIME? its ok for someone else to have a different opinion, i know that but i dont try and ram it down other peoples throats. we GET it. we GOT it the first time.

i suppose im going to get a ban now like another poster did who dared say anything to you.

i dont know if yer trolling or messing about but like FF7 wasnt even on the list, ffs.

rant/ :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Never said it was over rated. Just quoting an opinion.

Fixed that for you.

FF7 is my favourite of the series, with FF6 being a close second.

jackrussel wrote: »
    seriously, you need to have a chat with yourself. ive resisted to comment about it but no more. like another poster said, you constantly bash FF7 - constantly. we know your opinion on it, why bring it up EVERY SINGLE TIME? its ok for someone else to have a different opinion, i know that but i dont try and ram it down other peoples throats. we GET it. we GOT it the first time.

i suppose im going to get a ban now like another poster did who dared say anything to you.

i dont know if yer trolling or messing about but like FF7 wasnt even on the list, ffs.

rant/ :pac:

Ah now I hardly bashed it. Anyway it's what I think about the game, same as people that love it. Deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭jackrussel

Ah now I hardly bashed it. Anyway it's what I think about the game, same as people that love it. Deal with it.

but why bring it up? it wasn't even on the list. you brought it and had a pop at it for whatever reason, i don't know. maybe you don't even realize you do it now that you've done it so often. its like you're just trying to start arguments about it out of nothing - like you've just done. you know, people call that trolling

Nope, just don't feel it deserves a place on the list since it is far from the best JRPG ever and there's already a few more deserving JRPGs on the list anyway. I'm not saying it's bad either, I wrote up my thoughts on the game after playing the recent fan translation a few weeks ago in the JRPG thread and I dnjoyed the game quite a bit. Just because I don't think it deserves a place in a top 100 list out of the tens of thousands of games ever released doesn't mean I'm having a go at it.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

They should replaced Final Fantasy VII with Metal Gear Solid 4 Retro's favorite game ever!!!

Also I'm another person who thinks these lists are pointless, just easy clicks for gaming websites.

Azza wrote: »
    Also I'm another person who thinks these lists are pointless, just easy clicks for gaming websites.

They're mostly pointless but not completely. They can be useful for ideas for games to play or to see what ones are worth a try especially if theres a few you haven't played or heard of before.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Arkham Knight

mr_chang_senor_chang_laugh_spits_milk.gif

• Advertisement

Azza wrote: »
    They should replaced Final Fantasy VII with Metal Gear Solid 4 Retro's favorite game ever!!!

Don't even joke about that! At least FF7 is enjoyable!

Advertisement