Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EDGE 100 greatest videogames list.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

I love these lists

409.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Arkham Knight

mr_chang_senor_chang_laugh_spits_milk.gif

My Arkham Knight (PRE-ORDER) for Steam that I got 3 months ago...is STILL encrypted because they took it off STEAM before I could play it.
    The game is in not fit state to even be played on PC, but still makes it up into the top 100. Console versions must be mindblowing :P looking forward to it now....if/when it even gets released back on Steam

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭crybaby

Very refreshing to see this type of list without Mario at number one

Still haven't played Dark Souls....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Surely Fallout 3 deserves a shout?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yeah, sh*te list is intentionally sh*te.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Here's 60 generic AAA games from the last decade

Sprinkle in 20 "Genre-Establishers" like Tetris to keep the mobs happy

Add in 20 quirky titles "Well we just like em is all, even if dey r not dat popular elsewhere #Random90'sGamers"

Let it stew for an hour, and just f**k that thing right up there on the internet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,414 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

madcabbage wrote: »
    Surely Fallout 3 deserves a shout?

Not before Fallout 2 or New Vegas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I'm can't believe - insert title - wasn't included. And - insert another title - is at - insert chart position here - ?!?! The writers of this poll are obviously - insert insult here that questions their intelligence without directly saying that they are retarded - and deserve to be - insert appropriate punishment here, typically execution of some sort - !!! At least - insert title of some other game you don't like - didn't make it in to the top ten. All in all, completely pathetic…

There you go, lads. This should cover all bases when it comes to talking about polls of the greatest games.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Not forgetting "it only exists to get clicks!"*

*(that it was only officially published in magazine form is besides the point)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

Theres always an FF7 hater that comes out of the woodwork for these things. I assume they have a Google Alert set up for it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,414 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Sometimes it feels like Edge is the biggest troll publication out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭da gamer

jackrussel wrote: »
    but why bring it up? it wasn't even on the list. you brought it and had a pop at it for whatever reason, i don't know. maybe you don't even realize you do it now that you've done it so often. its like you're just trying to start arguments about it out of nothing - like you've just done. you know, people call that trolling

I think retro brings these things up just to get a reaction out of people like you to be honest. His arguments on some subjects and games are baffling for someone who claims to like or know anything about games

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Another list, another list without Thief The Dark Project. Pass. :pac:

Talking how great Thief The Dark Project was seems to be my only contribution to the game forum.

Maybe I should start talking about that other ancient game that looks sh1te but was amazing, Outcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

Retr0gamer wrote: »

it is, they've always managed to dupe some people into thinking they're SO DEEP even when they were running 100% pure weapons grade bull**** in their rumours and redeye sections

on topic this list is embarassingly filled with recent releases, many of which wont even be liked/remembered in a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Sieghardt wrote: »
    on topic this list is embarassingly filled with recent releases, many of which wont even be liked/remembered in a few years.

Its ridiculous the amount of recent/new titles in the list, I had to scroll back up after posting saying Thief was missing to make sure it wasn't a top 100 from years 2010 to 2015 only and I hadn't made a games forum faux pas by posting about game from the 90s.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Sieghardt wrote: »

Agreed. As much as I loved both GTAV and MGSV, neither are even the best games in their series (and none of the other games from either series were even included). Hell my top 2 games of all time are MGS3 and GTA:Vice City.

No Goldeneye!?

Time has not been kind to Goldeneye. It might be a very influential game but it's not a good one especially with the calibre of FPS games that have come and even ones before it like Doom 2.

Time has not been kind to Goldeneye. It might be a very influential game but it's not a good one especially with the calibre of FPS games that have come and even ones before it like Doom 2.

So are you saying goldeneye is not worthy of a place in a 'best video games' list?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Titanfall? - a great game, but hardly deserving of a top 100 spot
    Trials fusion? - I thought this was widely recieved as "grand - more of the same", theres certainly nothing earth shattering about it.
    Dishonored - a solid 7.5 out of ten, looking forward to what they do with the sequel.

• Advertisement

da gamer wrote: »
    So are you saying goldeneye is not worthy of a place in a 'best video games' list?

Definitely not. Influential and innovative games ever, yes, but it's a best games ever list. These days however it doesn't stack up and the sub 15 fps refresh rate is criminal. Games like the half life series, doom, blood, no one lives forever, call of duty mw etc. are far more deserving before goldeneye. Even hybrids lie thief or system shock I'd place above it before even considering it. Some games just date badly and a lot of games from that 32 and 64 bit era fall victim to it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Then why are Tetris and Pacman on the list? It's either the best "if they were on sale today" or the best of their time/most influential. if it's the latter, then how could any of the arcade megahits fail to be in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

The biggest travesty of this list is the special edition magazine actually costs €19 in Easons....Basically 20 euro for a magazine.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Then why are Tetris and Pacman on the list? It's either the best "if they were on sale today" or the best of their time/most influential. if it's the latter, then how could any of the arcade megahits fail to be in it?

They're probably not the best examples as you could nearly class them as timeless - the simplistic gameplay and graphics means they don't suffer the same issues that retrogamer is taking about - sub 15fps etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I thought Dark Souls was absolute crap.

I'm sure it was really, really good at doing whatever it was supposed to do. But I don't like whatever it was supposed to do, at all.

And that's why other people's lists of Top X Best Things Ever are nothing to get wound up about - they're meaningless. Each of us would make a different one. The only time they can really be of use is if you find a list that you broadly agree with, notice some things on it you've never tried, and thus have a pretty good idea that you have some new things to try that you might like.

Definitely not. Influential and innovative games ever, yes, but it's a best games ever list. These days however it doesn't stack up and the sub 15 fps refresh rate is criminal. Games like the half life series, doom, blood, no one lives forever, call of duty mw etc. are far more deserving before goldeneye. Even hybrids lie thief or system shock I'd place above it before even considering it. Some games just date badly and a lot of games from that 32 and 64 bit era fall victim to it.

The list is the top 100 games ever, not the top 100 games that have aged the best. Goldeneye is one of the best games ever, regardless of how it plays today. Anyone that thinks otherwise shouldn't be playing videogames

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Maybe, I used to get the magazine the odd time but could barely get into an article before the author would dissapear up their own hole...it's just the way they're like.

I'm actually a little surprised that Evolve, Uncharted 4 and Scalebould aren't on it.

If memory serves, didn't Boards.ie do our own top 100 a couple of years ago? I'd wonder how they'd compare.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Hercule

What a joke, if this wasn't from EDGE i'd assume it was a trolling top 100 pulled from a reddit ****post - EDGE has always been a total rag in my opinion, constant inconsistent / suspicious content.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭ballyargus

The adventure genre is conspicuous by its ENTIRE absence

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,791 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

ERG89 wrote: »
    The biggest travesty of this list is the special edition magazine actually costs €19 in Easons....Basically 20 euro for a magazine.....

Buy it. Seriously.

They made a similar special edition in 2007 and I sold it to a guy on eBay for about €100. This was after seeing a forum post where someone sold theirs for a similar amount.

Buy it and see if you can sell it for a few months later.

Advertisement