Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Tigerbaby

I would love to see Mata back. A gentleman and a genius. Just think of him providing fodder for a rampant Costa and Cavani too.

Its just good to see us playing football again. Would happily take a year or two out of the limelight to grow some youngsters, and learn to be creative and enjoyable to watch. I got so tired of watching Mourinho's "style".

Bring Ranieri back as the new Manager ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

So Everton want Begovic

http://www.footballfancast.com/football-news/everton-consider-move-to-sign-unhappy-chelsea-star?

Would be surprised if he is unsettled he knew coming he would be second fiddle to TBo, but could be true of course. But given that it is Everton who have come a-calling with the glad eyes I would tell them to take a hike or else just keep putting the price up until the end of the transfer window and then tell them no go.

Tigerbaby wrote: »
    I would love to see Mata back. A gentleman and a genius. Just think of him providing fodder for a rampant Costa and Cavani too.

Its just good to see us playing football again. Would happily take a year or two out of the limelight to grow some youngsters, and learn to be creative and enjoyable to watch. I got so tired of watching Mourinho's "style".

Bring Ranieri back as the new Manager ?

So Matic came back, Jose came back if Mata and the Tinkerman come back there must be an overload of flux capacitors at the Bridge......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Now that you're doing well again and you've got the thread back to yourselves, I thought I'd drop in with some questions.

1: is there no hope of Guss staying? Did he say it's just short term?

2: as regards Guss not making subs, do you think he just doesn't rate the squad options. Like does he never make subs or just the last few games?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

gosplan wrote: »
    Now that you're doing well again and you've got the thread back to yourselves, I thought I'd drop in with some questions.

1: is there no hope of Guss staying? Did he say it's just short term?

2: as regards Guss not making subs, do you think he just doesn't rate the squad options. Like does he never make subs or just the last few games?

Welcome,

1) No hope, hes nearly 70, looks very well for his age but this was basically a staeadying the ship type role, he knows that and the board does too. Although reports suggest he'll be consulted about and asked his opinion on any new manager, probably a load of BS though.

2) Hard to tell, I reckon its a bit of both, he just doesnt like breaking up the rhythm of the team and hes probably relcutant to throw in the younger guys.

I've been vocal enough about his lack of subs, the results have been ok but theres certainly been games where fresh legs might have made a small difference. Tuesday probably wasnt one of them but Pedro had clearly gassed at about the 70th min and he took off Hazard, truth being told, I'd have taken off both, Costa too as all three were out on their feet.

happy birthday claude , the guy who invented a position

https://twitter.com/premierleague/status/700268948596486144

I'd be surprised if Everton want Begovic, Robles is a good GK and will grow into the position.

If they do want him I'd accept nothing less than 25m for him.

• Advertisement

Avram Grant is meant to be also helping pick the new manager, may God have mercy on us all.

its gary neville's 41st birthday , the inventor of the goalgasm

https://twitter.com/FootballFanCast/status/700284587059113985

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

peteeeed wrote: »
    happy birthday claude , the guy who invented a position

https://twitter.com/premierleague/status/700268948596486144

One of my favourite goals ever! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

On Begovic, if he wants to go that's fair enough, he knew what he was getting into but ya can't really begrudge someone that good getting first team football. Now if it's to Everton then I hope the negotiation proces starts ~£20m and continually gets increased until we're getting one Barkley or Stones in return... and then maybe pull out at the last minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,781 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Avram Grant is meant to be also helping pick the new manager, may God have mercy on us all.

Hope he doesn't end up picking himself

hots wrote: »
    On Begovic, if he wants to go that's fair enough, he knew what he was getting into but ya can't really begrudge someone that good getting first team football. Now if it's to Everton then I hope the negotiation proces starts ~£20m and continually gets increased until we're getting one Barkley or Stones in return... and then maybe pull out at the last minute.

Id say the board will be very relecutant to enter into any deals with Everton and Martinez in the near future.

I will give Everton credit though, they do well to keep their best players even when it looks like they want out.

• Advertisement

Hope he doesn't end up picking himself

People I dont want that maybe considered,

Grant :pac:
    Moyes
    Rodgers
    Rafa
    AVB

Moyes
    Rodgers
    Rafa
    AVB

Pellegrini

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Moyes
    Rodgers
    Rafa
    AVB

Are we linked to AVB ?! Didn't think he'd have a donkeys notion of ever returning!

Panthro wrote: »
    Are we linked to AVB ?! Didn't think he'd have a donkeys notion of ever returning!

We seem to have been linked with everyone but AVB has said he has no intention of working in England again, so put your money on him :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Moyes
    Rodgers
    Rafa
    AVB

There's no chance any of them will be considered, or Pellegrini for that matter.

I think it's safe to assume that the shortlist is down to 3:

Conte
    Allegri
    Simeone

Any conversations with those managers won't be had until season's end, save for Conte who is free to talk now and probably makes him favourite because he can begin planning early even though he finishes up late with Italy at the Euros.

• Advertisement

Lukker- wrote: »
    There's no chance any of them will be considered, or Pellegrini for that matter.

I think it's safe to assume that the shortlist is down to 3:

Conte
    Allegri
    Simeone

Any conversations with those managers won't be had until season's end, save for Conte who is free to talk now and probably makes him favourite because he can begin planning early even though he finishes up late with Italy at the Euros.

With all the tapping up thats done I'd imagine all candidates have been at least approached through agents or third parties to sound out any interest.I reckon its going to be Conte anyway.

hots wrote: »
    One of my favourite goals ever! :)

You had Lampard, Ballack, Makelele and Essien in one team.

The more time goes by, the more incredible that becomes. Even with whatever resources to spend, that's an incredible midfield to assemble.

AS much as it looked like our players stopped playing for Jose, it looks like the Utd players are playing to get him in the door. :o

It'll be strange how they react to Jose. He's gonna wan £250m minimum to overhaul tha squad in the summer. Sick money when you look at what they've spent the last 2 seasons.

It'll be strange how they react to Jose. He's gonna wan £250m minimum to overhaul tha squad in the summer. Sick money when you look at what they've spent the last 2 seasons.

They need a player in nearly every position we do too. CB, CM, CAM and CF.

They need a player in nearly every position we do too. CB, CM, CAM and CF.

They need more in fairness, they prob need 2 CB's, Jose won't rate Smalling IMO. Defensive mid, winger, #10 and possibly 2 strikers depending if they keep Rooney.

I think they are in for a major overaul tbh, I think a large amount of the current crop, Jose won't fancy.

They need more in fairness, they prob need 2 CB's, Jose won't rate Smalling IMO. Defensive mid, winger, #10 and possibly 2 strikers depending if they keep Rooney.

I think they are in for a major overaul tbh, I think a large amount of the current crop, Jose won't fancy.

LVG has had to play the youths a lot due to injuries so Jose wont like that at all.

In retrospect, Utds overhaul is a bit more glaring than ours, add in a GK too when De Gea finally gets his move to Real.

Smalling is good enough IMO but he needs a proper leader next time, a player with a bit more experience, Jones, if he could be kept fit isnt a bad option either but hes made of wet tissue too it seems.

Last year we had the champions league and EPL winners coupled with Jose and London as a factor, this summer we've got London. :o

Utd will outspend us easily as they know theyve got to improve. Anyway, I'm not too pushed about Utd at the moment but they will be a rival for a top 4 spot next year and we'll both be fishing in the same pond for players, so that should be interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

We were unlucky against psg imo. Ya they dominated the game but there 2 goals were lucky enough and they didn't really threaten our goal throughout the game. We had the clearer chances.

I fancy us to go through to be honest. 1-0 at home is all we need.

Willian is serious aswel , you gota love when he runs the length of the pitch ha there's no one gona catch him :D

I'd kind of fear for both parties if Jose goes there.

He would want to spend big to bring in top level talent but I just don't see that many players rushing to join him there given the recent form if both Jose and Utd.

Will he get what he needs to do the job or will just end up buying a bunch of players not quite up to the required standard.

When you look at his last league victory at Chelsea it was the world class backline and Hazard that played as much of a part as Matic/Costa/Fabregas. I'd say at Utd he'd be happy with about four players.

I'm not sure he can overhaul the squad before he runs out of steam after the customary 2 years.

It'd be pretty interesting though. Wouldn't be surprised to see him and Utd purchase a lot of good players from elsewhere in the Prem - Kante, Mahrez, Stones, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,755 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭Killinator

rottie 11 wrote: »
    We were unlucky against psg imo. Ya they dominated the game but there 2 goals were lucky enough and they didn't really threaten our goal throughout the game. We had the clearer chances.

I fancy us to go through to be honest. 1-0 at home is all we need.

Willian is serious aswel , you gota love when he runs the length of the pitch ha there's no one gona catch him :D

Whatever about the first, I don't know how you could consider Cavani's goal as 'lucky'!

Killinator wrote: »
    Whatever about the first, I don't know how you could consider Cavani's goal as 'lucky'!

Get away you with your logic!

Panthro wrote: »
    Get away you with your logic!

You can't handle logic. No logic-handler, you. I deride your logic-handling abilities.

It's Friday we need a sort of Simpsons quote .........

Ah well cup on Sunday match on Auntie Beeb I think so who do we play just who do we play (aside from City of course)

Seems possible City will be weak given a big ears cup tie on Tuesday (and yes that is a disgrace FA obviously have no desire to help English clubs in Europe might not be so funny if they lose the 4th CL place) and we have nearly a week until our next game away at the Saints. So we can mix it up a bit I dare say.

Ivan could do with a rest but who then do we play CB with Bambi Cahill we really are wafer thin in defence.

Centre of midfield should be easier RLC should really get a game there, but won't.

Costa certainly needs a rest but won't get one.

So I expect the team that started against PSG to start Sunday, shame really.

Ah well cup on Sunday match on Auntie Beeb I think so who do we play just who do we play (aside from City of course)

Seems possible City will be weak given a big ears cup tie on Tuesday (and yes that is a disgrace FA obviously have no desire to help English clubs in Europe might not be so funny if they lose the 4th CL place) and we have nearly a week until our next game away at the Saints. So we can mix it up a bit I dare say.

Ivan could do with a rest but who then do we play CB with Bambi Cahill we really are wafer thin in defence.

Centre of midfield should be easier RLC should really get a game there, but won't.

Costa certainly needs a rest but won't get one.

So I expect the team that started against PSG to start Sunday, shame really.

Im confident enough about this game, the PSG tie showed that theres still a team somewhat resembling last years chmapions waiting to get out.

As you mentioned, I think its a joke that the FA have scheduled this with City having a game Tuesday, should have been played tonight but TV money will always win out but if it give us a small advantage, I'm all for it.

Take into consideration that City dont really have a toug draw, for the first time in years, they should be ok in the Champs league and are more likely to go through than us and Arsenal, although I dont think Arsenal have a snowballs chance of going through against Barca at the moment, theyre too good.

Onto the teams, Guus will want a trophy to end his reign and another FA cup would be nice, Citys "weak" side is still pretty good and full of threats even if they make 5 or 6 changes, also their record at the Bridge in the last few years isnt outstanding so we've got a chance.

I'd be like you, I'd expect and hope for changes but we're not playing until next weekend so I dont know will Guus make many if any changes.

Pato should be good to go and I think hes got a record of scoring on all his debuts for all his teams hes played for so far, so if he starts, which is unlikely, it would be good if he found the net, be better if it was a 95th min winner too. :pac:

I'd make changes anyway, RLC for Cesc, Kenedy for Hazard, Oscar for Pedro, back four remains the same and I'd play Begovic too.

Begovic
    Azp Ivan Cahill Rahman
    Mikel RLC
    Willian Oscar Kenedy
    Pato

I might be tempted to leave Hazard in there in the hope he might find some fitness and form, for no other reason he has been a poor as a poor thing all season. Willian deserves a bit of a rest so if Kenedy is to get a start then it would be him I rest.

Is Pato an out and out striker, again if Costa is given a day off I would love to see if Traore from the start looks as good as Traore from the bench.

I still think it will be the team that faced PSG as Guus will want to win, and as you say even a "weakened" City team is better than most PL teams. If it City get a good draw in the last 8 (I really cannot see them going out against Moscow) then the semi is there for the taking and given the quality they have anything can happen from there. Pellegrini I am sure would love a good CL run for his CV as he will be job hunting very soon so hopefully it will be a team of kids on Sunday and a nice comfortable day for us.

I might be tempted to leave Hazard in there in the hope he might find some fitness and form, for no other reason he has been a poor as a poor thing all season. Willian deserves a bit of a rest so if Kenedy is to get a start then it would be him I rest.

Is Pato an out and out striker, again if Costa is given a day off I would love to see if Traore from the start looks as good as Traore from the bench.

I still think it will be the team that faced PSG as Guus will want to win, and as you say even a "weakened" City team is better than most PL teams. If it City get a good draw in the last 8 (I really cannot see them going out against Moscow) then the semi is there for the taking and given the quality they have anything can happen from there. Pellegrini I am sure would love a good CL run for his CV as he will be job hunting very soon so hopefully it will be a team of kids on Sunday and a nice comfortable day for us.

Look at the City team that started the League cup semi final and you get an idea of what they might do, its a very strong side though so it might change, the starting team that night was

Caballero
    zabaleta Otamendi Demichelis Clichy
    Fernandinho Toure
    Delph Silva Sterling
    Aguero

I'd say a few of that team would be rested for the FA cup but theyve got Navas that could come in, the young Nigerian thats got a few important goals and Fernandinhos carbon copy, Fernando.

JT falcao out and its too early for Pato apparently.

Ffs.

• Advertisement

Pellegrini said last week that they were going to play the kids vs. us because the FA did **** all to help them and they have a fixture pile-up and play in the CL on tuesday.

I heard City rested some u21 players last week so it'll be interesting, I'll expect a strong enough team but probably not full strength as I think he's content to put his eggs in the CL and League Cup basket.

It's actually Wednesday they play but they have to travel to Ukraine which is never easy.

Guus quote apparently

‘I will make hardly any changes because we take the FA Cup very seriously.’

Hopefully that's Baba so, will do wonders for his confidence and hopefully opens Guus' eyes to him.

Hopefully that's Baba so, will do wonders for his confidence and hopefully opens Guus' eyes to him.

Thats very true and an excellent benefit but most likely also means Obi et al so Traore, Kenedy and RLC still swinging which is less good.

I'm annoyed at the lack of game time for Kenedy being honest.

Pedro over the last 3 games has improved his levels, but Hazard has been still poor and Oscar is as inconsistent as ever. Willian, well hes nailed on to be our POTY from the fans and players I'd say.

Theres surely a chance for Kenedy to work his way in but maybe Guus doesnt fancy him which is a shame as he seemed like a right good player in his cameos before.

It would be interesting to see how City approach it though, they'll be leaving for the Ukraine on Monday morning probably so the big guns will probably be on the bench, hopefully. :pac:

• Advertisement

Same, anytime I seen Kenedy I was amazed by him. Wonderful weaving runs. Surely he'd create problems for full backs.
    Would love to see him get more game time.

Cesc put the trophies on his snapchat alright.

Jose to be manager so when we move into the new ground?

Pellagrini says he's putting out a reserve team as they are flying to Kiev on Monday

peteeeed wrote: »
    Pellagrini says he's putting out a reserve team as they are flying to Kiev on Monday

I wouldnt believe it until I see it. :o

Would be good for us though.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement