Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Honestly,I'm gave up on Top 4 weeks ago. If not for our good start to the season, we would be well lower. Our form over the last few months has been dire :(
    Also wouldn't have much hope of getting too much further in the EL; any team that actively tries to score against us does so.

But then I have gotten pretty pessimistic over it all since Before Xmas, and think we will go nowhere under LVG.

It could be worse ya could be a team playing in blue from London who were defensing champions. :o

Ye'll be scary under Jose as long as hes backed in the summer with who he wants in.

Potentially 6 or 7 world class managers in the league and extra money will make it very competitive.

Guus has no won 52pts from 69pts available to him.

His record is P23 W15 D7 L1 Pts 52.

Crazy that most of those draws have been this campaign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I dunno Gav I thought Chelsea are playing rather well of late and the tie with PSG is far from settled. No side in Europe will want to face ye anyway.

edit: I really should check if there's another page of posts first.
    GavRedKing wrote: »
    Is it safe to assume that if Utd dont get a positive result tomorrow, ye've got no chance of a top 4 finish?

At least ye still have the Europea League to get in through, theres no hope in hell we'll be getting any European football unless we win the Fa cup or Champs League, one is highly unlikely and the other isnt going to happen at all. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Can't really understand gavs issue with Guus. He's came in, steadied the ship and started to win games, games that we would certainly have lost under Jose! We're still in every compition that we were realistically in when Jose left and on an upward curve. What's not to like? I'd gladly keep him right now, Disapoonted that he took of baba today at half time, he needs to learn that he can't do things like that but hooking him off for a simple mistake is a little harsh, at least it didn't cost us in the end.

Turtwig wrote: »
    I dunno Gav I thought Chelsea are playing rather well of late and the tie with PSG is far from settled. No side in Europe will want to face ye anyway.

edit: I really should check if there's another page of posts first.

True, at home nobody will want to face us but PSG will hold comfort in the fact they knocked us out last year. Its a different side with what appears to be a seperate mentality so that might make a difference. Time well tell, its certainly going to be a very close affair.

• Advertisement

kev1.3s wrote: »
    Can't really understand gavs issue with Guus. He's came in, steadied the ship and started to win games, games that we would certainly have lost under Jose! We're still in every compition that we were realistically in when Jose left and on an upward curve. What's not to like? I'd gladly keep him right now, Disapoonted that he took of baba today at half time, he needs to learn that he can't do things like that but hooking him off for a simple mistake is a little harsh, at least it didn't cost us in the end.

Ive no problem with him at all. Hes done a decent job but id have expected better.

Rahman is still raw no doubt but at least we had a viable option in Kenedy, seems to have no issue playing the LB position if its needed.

He still owes us a UCl final place after getting robbed during his last appearanve with us so heres hoping he turns it around vs PSG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

kev1.3s wrote: »

I don't either, the difference is night and day.

Jose was clearly sore at the start of the season that he didn't get transfer funds he wanted. I agree we should have strengthened more. Fair enough.

But he was clearly sore about it all season and his bad attitude translated onto the pitch, he resented a sizable group of the current group and they in turn resented him.

You play the hand you are dealt but it was clear all season that Jose just wanted to call bung deal. Looking at the league table now and how the league panned out there is no reason with the squad we have that we shouldn't have been challenging for the title.

Hiddink has come in and and has slowly rebuilt players confidence because make no mistake lots of those guys were questioning themselves.

If a candidate as strong as Conte wasn't available I would have no problem keeping Hiddink.

And taking Baba off was the right decision. It was as much tactical as that he was playing bad. Kenedy was a genuine threat and having the extra man going forward kept Southampton pinned back the entire second half and allowed us to grind out the win.

Ive no problem with him at all. Hes done a decent job but id have expected better.

Rahman is still raw no doubt but at least we had a viable option in Kenedy, seems to have no issue playing the LB position if its needed.

He still owes us a UCl final place after getting robbed during his last appearanve with us so heres hoping he turns it around vs PSG.
    I wouldn't have expected better to be honest, Jose fûcked us good and proper! Was listening to a podcast earlier and one of the presenters said the further away from the Jose sacking the happier he is and I agree. He had a job for life if he wanted it and he fuçked it up with his poisonous attitude, the only regret I have is that the board didn't give him the sack earlier!
    Guus came in and has began a rebuilding job that wouldn't have tarn as long if the atmosphere hadn't been as negative but now it finally looks like we have a football team again, there wasn't one player on the pitch today who wasn't giving 110%.
    Southampton set up really well today and nicked a lovely goal just before half time but instead of giving in against a side who have a fantastic defensive record of late we came at them and showed what we are capable of.
    I'd have given fabregas man of the match today because even tho he was closed down as much as possible he was always looking to make things happen and his cross/shot is what got us back in,

Lukker- wrote: »
    And taking Baba off was the right decision. It was as much tactical as that he was playing bad. Kenedy was a genuine threat and having the extra man going forward kept Southampton pinned back the entire second half and allowed us to grind out the win.

Probably agree there but the timing isn't going to do much good for his confidence.

• Advertisement

Guus said : "I could say Baba was injured but no, he was taken off because of his mistake. We have had some problems in that part of our team."

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Tigerbaby

Kev

+ a thousand.

Jose "was" great... but your absolutely right in using the word "poisonous".
    I wish him on United at this stage.

Its just magic to see us playing the game again.

As a team, and a Club and a million supporters. Not just a facade of Herr Jose's personality.

Thats just my view, on the Club I love, going to back to 1972.

Pedro out for at least a week, hopefully he's fit for PSG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Kenedy yet again comes on and shows he's got real talent. (From left back) , hope he gets a better run next season

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

We are all but clear of relegation now, another 6 points and we are free and easy. If Conte is to be the new manager why not just announce it now so as the players know there is no easy ride next season. Then play Kenedy, RLC and Traore in everyleague game till the end of the season see if they will cut the mustard or not.
    I wonder if we will see Pato in a Chelsea shirt or are we just paying to train him? Amazing really why did we leave it till the last week of the window to sign him then spend at least a month getting him fit to play?

We are all but clear of relegation now, another 6 points and we are free and easy. If Conte is to be the new manager why not just announce it now so as the players know there is no easy ride next season. Then play Kenedy, RLC and Traore in everyleague game till the end of the season see if they will cut the mustard or not.
    I wonder if we will see Pato in a Chelsea shirt or are we just paying to train him? Amazing really why did we leave it till the last week of the window to sign him then spend at least a month getting him fit to play?

Corinithian's dragged their heels over the loan fee. he's not match fit. Not much we can do he was in his off season so he's pretty much only starting his preseason now. No point rushing him in either, it's one way to ensure he doesn't stay if we start him before he's ready and he doesn't impress.

There is another round of talks planned with Conte next week, the club can't announced anything because no deal is in place. I don't believe they will keep it under wraps once it's official.

Selling team trying to get the biggest bang for their buck have to expect that, league is gone surely for this season at least he was wanted for the CL and he may not get a run in that. There is no real joined up thinking by anyone at the Bridge at the minute.
    Of course they can't announce until a deal is done but we have some chance against PSG and this could give the final push that is needed (of course JT being back will be a great help as well). I can't fully understand why we drag everything out and make an epic of everything.

Selling team trying to get the biggest bang for their buck have to expect that, league is gone surely for this season at least he was wanted for the CL and he may not get a run in that. There is no real joined up thinking by anyone at the Bridge at the minute.
    Of course they can't announce until a deal is done but we have some chance against PSG and this could give the final push that is needed (of course JT being back will be a great help as well). I can't fully understand why we drag everything out and make an epic of everything.

You think announcing Conte will help us beat PSG? Or was that a reference to Pato?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

You think announcing Conte will help us beat PSG? Or was that a reference to Pato?

I'd guess Pato.

It was the plan to have feature sooner I think but he's supposedly a good bit behind on his fitness.

• Advertisement

There should well be a bounce if Conte is announced, I imagine there has been a lot of chat around the camp fire by the players regarding what Conte is like blah blah blah. Now if Pirlo is to be believed he does not like spoofers or laziness so I imagine he will be watching the reaction of the players from time of announcement and that could be a huge push against PSG. What better way to show your new boss you deserve your place than beating a very beatable side at home in the CL. For me I can't see how there could not be a bounce.
    Even if it is not announced publicly it should be "leaked" to the players - this season has been such a cock up it would be a very strong indication that we are truly focused on the future. We are not playing that well for 70 minutes against Southampton we were total muck, a mistake by their Keeper got us back into it we still need all the help we can get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

PSG not looking too good away to Lyon, 2-0 down.

Hopefully we do a similar job. :pac:

So with City winning the Capital One Cup the Europa League place now goes down to 6th and if a team in the top 5 wins the FA Cup then it is down to 7th.
    So realistically do we want Thursday night league football next season or a nice easy schedule for the new man (unless we do a Robbie of course).

So with City winning the Capital One Cup the Europa League place now goes down to 6th and if a team in the top 5 wins the FA Cup then it is down to 7th.
    So realistically do we want Thursday night league football next season or a nice easy schedule for the new man (unless we do a Robbie of course).

If we win the fa cup..do we ne not also get a europa league spot or qualification spot?

If we win the fa cup..do we ne not also get a europa league spot or qualification spot?

I thought that was the case. Doesn't the FA Cup give you Europa League if the team who wins the League Cup is already in the CL/EL.

I thought that was the case. Doesn't the FA Cup give you Europa League if the team who wins the League Cup is already in the CL/EL.

Well i think the winner of the fa cup gets a 3rd round qualifer for the europa lesvue, hence why wigan ended up in europe after losing a few years ago because they lost to a team that was in the top 4 so by default they got the 'winners' place.

I think thats the case anyway could be wrong. Id prefer to win the ucl though qnd go to the big ear cup :o

Guus is saving Terry for PSG so. He has been ruled fit for Norwich but Guus won't risk him. He'd need a warm up game before PSG but Stoke is too close the PSG game so Guus said he's just going to have him play a behind closed doors game prob with some academy players.

Fabregas completed 128 passes against Southampton, more than any other player this season in league.

Guus is saving Terry for PSG so. He has been ruled fit for Norwich but Guus won't risk him. He'd need a warm up game before PSG but Stoke is too close the PSG game so Guus said he's just going to have him play a behind closed doors game prob with some academy players.

Which was all the more surprising that Mizaga didnt feature on the bench against the Saints.

PSG and Everton are our cup finals right now so having JT ready and raring to go is what we need.

I think its a huge task but if we are going to go through I dont think it will be a 1-0, I dont think this side has a clean sheet and victory in them against a power house like PSG, I'd love to be wrong though, I really would.

• Advertisement

Do we dare to dream, can we win a 3rd league game on the trot for the 1st time in about 10months?

Norwich away will be very tough, Leicester only beat them in the last minute at home on Saturday so any points will have to be hard fought.

Pedro wont make it, and its possible that JT wont play either, Pato and Mizaga seem to be training and thats about it so the team for Norwich will probably be

Courtois
    Azp Ivan Cahill Kenedy
    Mikel Cesc
    Willian Oscar Hazard
    Costa

Yea I would say Kenedy will start against Norwich just to gauge as an alternative to Baba.

I think we can beat PSG, but agree on the clean sheet we just dont seem to have one in us, less so if Ivan starts at RB. I would be happy to see Dave, JT, Ivan, Baba start against PSG. Baba played very well in the first leg against PSG and so he made a mistake against Saints fine every defender everywhere makes the odd mistake and TBo did not do his job that well neither he really should have been there before Long - excellent finish that it was.

Yea I would say Kenedy will start against Norwich just to gauge as an alternative to Baba.

I think we can beat PSG, but agree on the clean sheet we just dont seem to have one in us, less so if Ivan starts at RB. I would be happy to see Dave, JT, Ivan, Baba start against PSG. Baba played very well in the first leg against PSG and so he made a mistake against Saints fine every defender everywhere makes the odd mistake and TBo did not do his job that well neither he really should have been there before Long - excellent finish that it was.

We got away with it, I watched the extended highlights and there wasnt much in the game, Saints can feel hard done by for losing all 3 points. We had much more of the ball but both sides had decent enough chances.

Still, not going to complain about it at all TBH, a 3rd league win on the spin would push us well and truly clear of those below us in dangerous positions, we'll have 39pts if we beat Norwich and that will set us up nicely for the biggest 2 weekends of the season, Stoke at home, PSG at home and Everton away. We could be pushing top 8, through to the QFs of the UCL and into the SF of the FA cup, whats much more likely though is to be out of both cups and a draw with Stoke but one can hope.

The officials on the day shouldnt be allowed to take charge of any matches any time soon.

It was a tough call in real time but surely with 2 or 3 of them looking on they must have seen somehintg, evidently not. :o

• Advertisement

Hes gone for 18months isnt he?

Just read its until the end of the season. :o

Hes trying to get a place ina position that we've already got serious talent so hes going to have to be exceptional to be even considered for the squad.

Believe so yes should be good when he gats back.

Just read its until the end of the season. :o

Hes trying to get a place ina position that we've already got serious talent so hes going to have to be exceptional to be even considered for the squad.
    Believe so yes should be good when he gats back.

Might be some sort of an extension clause then as I do remember it being said it was for 18 months. If he is not going to get game time and he is doing this well in Betis providing they do not get relegated best leave him there indeed.

You can see why he wanted game time though.

This is an interesting thought from Guus re us having 4 matches in 12 days from a medical aspect

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2016/02/29/hiddink-urges-doctors-challenge-packed-fixture-list?

I seem to remember the medical fraternity giving out yards about Jose after the Swansea game yet they are remarkably quiet on this. Mock outrage brigade again no doubt - that will be a good think when Jose rocks up at OT we can have our go on mock outrage yay.

• Advertisement

Might be some sort of an extension clause then as I do remember it being said it was for 18 months. If he is not going to get game time and he is doing this well in Betis providing they do not get relegated best leave him there indeed.

You can see why he wanted game time though.

I'd agree, no point stunting his growth by having him warm the bench here.

Either leave him where he is or find a better loan for him but 18months in Spain starting nearly al lgames would be better than a loan in England playing in the Championship or coming off the bench for a a game every few weeks for a Premier League side.

This is an interesting thought from Guus re us having 4 matches in 12 days from a medical aspect

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2016/02/29/hiddink-urges-doctors-challenge-packed-fixture-list?

I seem to remember the medical fraternity giving out yards about Jose after the Swansea game yet they are remarkably quiet on this. Mock outrage brigade again no doubt - that will be a good think when Jose rocks up at OT we can have our go on mock outrage yay.

Its a hugely busy period, in contrast, teams not in Europe and the FA cup only have 2 games in the same period.

I reckon we'll see changes anyway vs Norwich and Stoke and keep the main guys ready for PSG and Everton.

Its a hugely busy period, in contrast, teams not in Europe and the FA cup only have 2 games in the same period.

I reckon we'll see changes anyway vs Norwich and Stoke and keep the main guys ready for PSG and Everton.

Indeed but these guys are either concerned for player welfare or they are not. If they are concerned about player welfare then they would be looking at ways of mitigating the effect perhaps by postponing the odd league match or bringing it forward a bit whatever. Perhaps cup ties should not have replays thus opening up a few extra weeks there are plenty of ways if they are actually more concerned for players rather than just money.

Indeed but these guys are either concerned for player welfare or they are not. If they are concerned about player welfare then they would be looking at ways of mitigating the effect perhaps by postponing the odd league match or bringing it forward a bit whatever. Perhaps cup ties should not have replays thus opening up a few extra weeks there are plenty of ways if they are actually more concerned for players rather than just money.

I hate the cup replays in the FA cup, make it like the league cup and get it over with on the day.

Also, I think the league cup should be scrapped, AFAIK theres no equivalent in France, Germany, Spain, Italy, not for the top divison anyway.

Either scrapped or make it a non-Premeir league event and allow every club up to the Championship enter it.

I am old enough to remember multiple replays (think we had a few against Wednesday once in the league cup which we won eventually after the second replay I think) but yea one game good night Vienna. I think in Germany the bigger clubs are always drawn away to smaller clubs in the opening rounds to level the pitch a bit that might be an idea as well.

Best thing about replays is a night game under lights - really can't beat that.

The league cup could be contested by clubs not in Europe perhaps? It would diminish it a bit but no worse than playing second string teams.

Will be great fun the season of the Qatar World Cup how will they make up 2 months?

I am old enough to remember multiple replays (think we had a few against Wednesday once in the league cup which we won eventually after the second replay I think) but yea one game good night Vienna. I think in Germany the bigger clubs are always drawn away to smaller clubs in the opening rounds to level the pitch a bit that might be an idea as well.

Best thing about replays is a night game under lights - really can't beat that.

The league cup could be contested by clubs not in Europe perhaps? It would diminish it a bit but no worse than playing second string teams.

Will be great fun the season of the Qatar World Cup how will they make up 2 months?

The season will have to start in about July and end in July You'd imagine.

It would be scarily intense for 2 or 3 years. The following season then you could start in Spetember and end in June, next season start in August again and end in May.

Its going to be the stupidest WC in history anyway given the heat for the players and fans and not to mention whats happening in Qatar for all the workers over there building these stadiums at the cost of thousands of lives.

FIFAs corruption on this far exceeds anything that theyve done to date.

It is a really shameful episode and no mistake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Is there no way for renewing memberships during the season? Never got round to renewing it this season but was hoping to get to a game next month, it doesn't look like the membership can be renewed now?

peteeeed wrote: »

Now that is excellent news on a cold and miserable Monday.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement