Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

kiev charged over fan behaviour

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/34601882

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

19 years today Matthew Harding died in a helicopter crash coming home from a Bolton away League Cup tie. Had he not died would Roman ever have got his hands on the club how different would things have been given the relationship between himself and cuddly Ken was strained at times I believe but at least he named a stand after Matthew.

Met him once before a Liverpool game in a pub near Lime Street train station (I think that is the main station in Liverpool cant remember now) sound decent man avid Chelsea supporter. RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

GavRedKing wrote: »
    At the San Siro??

My God!

I remember that, that was after the horrible 3-2 loss to Arsenal (after leading 2-0) at the bridge, so was really nice to get that draw there.

I think that was my 1st season as a Chelsea fan.

peteeeed wrote: »
    setanta are showing the big one on saturday .....villa v swansea

Villa against Swansea obviously not too pushed to get viewers then. Have a tutorial in Duberland on Saturday so now don't have to rush back at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

19 years today Matthew Harding died in a helicopter crash coming home from a Bolton away League Cup tie. Had he not died would Roman ever have got his hands on the club how different would things have been given the relationship between himself and cuddly Ken was strained at times I believe but at least he named a stand after Matthew.

Met him once before a Liverpool game in a pub near Lime Street train station (I think that is the main station in Liverpool cant remember now) sound decent man avid Chelsea supporter. RIP

Without Roman we wouldnt be where we are right now, maybe Harding would have seen that Chelsea needed to go in that direction, maybe he would have been kept on the board.

I'm just glad we no longer have nothing to do with Ken Bates, while he done plenty of good things for the club, sorting us out in the 80's and bringing the club forward, there was no way he could have matched Romans ambition and input and also he had some controversial times with the club, most of which I was too young and naive to understand in the 90's and only realised a bit better towards the turn of the millenium and by that stage we were becoming a bit of a force in the league with regualr top 6 finishes.

Without Roman we wouldnt be where we are right now, maybe Harding would have seen that Chelsea needed to go in that direction, maybe he would have been kept on the board.

I'm just glad we no longer have nothing to do with Ken Bates, while he done plenty of good things for the club, sorting us out in the 80's and bringing the club forward, there was no way he could have matched Romans ambition and input and also he had some controversial times with the club, most of which I was too young and naive to understand in the 90's and only realised a bit better towards the turn of the millenium and by that stage we were becoming a bit of a force in the league with regualr top 6 finishes.

I doubt we would have got to where we are now Matthew like Roman were self made men and whilst Matthew was not short of a few bob he was not in the Roman league. He was of course a life long Chelsea fan who stood on the terraces as a kid, would we have carried the level of debt we had when Roman took over had Matthew lived or would he have bought the club and the debt - possibly but cant see that we would have had the investment we have had under Roman of course.
    Back then we were sort of everyones second favourite team, played good football won the odd FA Cup and even European trophy but not serious challengers for the league or the very major trophies when push came to shove (absolutely threw the league away the season before Jimmy Floyd joined talk about snatching defeat from the jaws of victory sickener).
    Lot to be said for being hated means your winning a bit like being an ABU during Fergies reign.

Good Lord some aspiring journalists are as daft as the day is long such as this guy Alex Martin daft is a nice way of putting his stupidity or perhaps it is just a dislike of Chelsea who knows.

http://www.givemesport.com/650986-manchester-city-invite-frank-lampard-to-firstteam-training?autoplay=on

I wonder if he has considered who are the owners of New York City and Manchester City or is that beyond him?

I doubt we would have got to where we are now Matthew like Roman were self made men and whilst Matthew was not short of a few bob he was not in the Roman league. He was of course a life long Chelsea fan who stood on the terraces as a kid, would we have carried the level of debt we had when Roman took over had Matthew lived or would he have bought the club and the debt - possibly but cant see that we would have had the investment we have had under Roman of course.

Back then we were sort of everyones second favourite team, played good football won the odd FA Cup and even European trophy but not serious challengers for the league or the very major trophies when push came to shove (absolutely threw the league away the season before Jimmy Floyd joined talk about snatching defeat from the jaws of victory sickener).
    Lot to be said for being hated means your winning a bit like being an ABU during Fergies reign.

Winning usually breathes contempt, we were also the "first" side to buy the league, if you believe certain people so theres certainly a bee in the bonnet of some fans.

Era, football goes in cycles anyway so this weeks favourite is next weeks enemy.

Good Lord some aspiring journalists are as daft as the day is long such as this guy Alex Martin daft is a nice way of putting his stupidity or perhaps it is just a dislike of Chelsea who knows.

http://www.givemesport.com/650986-manchester-city-invite-frank-lampard-to-firstteam-training?autoplay=on

I wonder if he has considered who are the owners of New York City and Manchester City or is that beyond him?

Alex Martin "senior writer".

The articel is basically based on a Goal article which in itself is a joke of a publication.

I'd imagine if Lampard wanted to come and train with a club during his off season in America Chelsea would have no issue in allowing him to do it, Lamps himself said he wouldnt come back to England on loan anyway, citing his fitness and injuries as the main reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

Which season was that??

ronjo wrote: »
    Which season was that??

98-99. Finished 4pts off Utd in 3rd. Arsenal finished a point or 2 behind Utd that season too.

I remember Utd blitzing teams and scoring a rake of goals but we only maanged like 55 goals that year and plenty of draws.

98-99. Finished 4pts off Utd in 3rd. Arsenal finished a point or 2 behind Utd that season too.

I remember Utd blitzing teams and scoring a rake of gaols but we only maanged like 55 goals that year and plenty of draws.

Ah ok....... I dont really remember Chelsea being in the drivers seat.
    I do remember bloody Spurs scoring on the final day and then realising what they had done :mad:

Ah ok....... I dont really remember Chelsea being in the drivers seat.
    I do remember bloody Spurs scoring on the final day and then realising what they had done :mad:

Think his point was more if we had a proper CF like Jimmy we might have won the league.

That was a tight league, Utds treble well always irk me for various reasons but it was a great achievement all the same.

Think his point was more if we had a proper CF like Jimmy we might have won the league.

That was a tight league, Utds treble well always irk me for various reasons but it was a great achievement all the same.

Hasselbaink was the joint top scorer in the league that year.

It Irks me too !

Hasselbaink was the joint top scorer in the league that year.

It Irks me too !

Didnt Utd shaft Arsenal in the group stages somehow with best runners up or sopmething? Or am I wrong, I could be way off. :o

• Advertisement

Didnt Utd shaft Arsenal in the group stages somehow with best runners up or sopmething? Or am I wrong, I could be way off. :o

I actually put that up on the Arsenal board the other day.

I was at the game at Wembley when we p*ssed it away at home to Lens and had 2 players sent off. If we had won that game we would have got the last quarter final spot instead of them.

It could have all been ours !!!!!!!!!!!!!! (ok, I dont really believe that)

Which season was that??

1998-99 wheels cam off the wagon around April were nip and tuck with United and Arsenal with a fairly easy run in. Typical Chelsea of the time went on a run of 3 draws one of which was the nail in the coffin I think And Leicester at home 2-0 up last 10 minutes and cruising (listening to the match whilst been driven home from one hell of a boozy weekend on the Shannon shocking hangover) and some how we managed to draw 2-2. Never got back in the hunt again after that run.
    Actually it might have been two seasons after that Jimmy joined don't think he played for us in the CL the following season dont have a memory of it anyway.

I actually put that up on the Arsenal board the other day.

I was at the game at Wembley when we p*ssed it away at home to Lens and had 2 players sent off. If we had won that game we would have got the last quarter final spot instead of them.

It could have all been ours !!!!!!!!!!!!!! (ok, I dont really believe that)

Knew it was something like that, cheers. :o

1998-99 wheels cam off the wagon around April were nip and tuck with United and Arsenal with a fairly easy run in. Typical Chelsea of the time went on a run of 3 draws one of which was the nail in the coffin I think And Leicester at home 2-0 up last 10 minutes and cruising (listening to the match whilst been driven home from one hell of a boozy weekend on the Shannon shocking hangover) and some how we managed to draw 2-2. Never got back in the hunt again after that run.
    Actually it might have been two seasons after that Jimmy joined don't think he played for us in the CL the following season dont have a memory of it anyway.

There was some poor results that year when you taught, right, thats a gimme of 3 pts and then we'd end up pissing away leads or failing to score.

Still though, we ultimately got one over the line. :pac:

Aha, I said above that Hasselbaink was top scorer that season which he was......... For Leeds :o

• Advertisement

We would have won it easy had we had Jimmy indeed. Again from memory we tried really hard that season to get him but Leeds wouldn't sell (they were a very strong team at the time). He wanted to join but they steadfastly refused to sell (tried all season more so after Casaragi got injured against the happy hammers there was no such thing as a window then) anyhows at the end of the season he went to AM for a year then joined us. The lack of a really strong CF killed us in the end.

Aha, I said above that Hasselbaink was top scorer that season which he was......... For Leeds :o

Yea I am old enough to have the traditional dislike of Leeds and that didn't improve my feelings toward them at all.

Strange I had always envisaged Leeds as this dour miserable Northern town where everyone had whippets and flat caps (including the women :P). Was shocked a few years ago when I finally got to visit Leeds it is a lovely place and nay a whippet or flat cap to be seen. Seriously good spot for a curry

costa taking on the south africans

https://vine.co/v/eVhmJHamexQ

peteeeed wrote: »
    costa taking on the south africans

https://vine.co/v/eVhmJHamexQ

Oscar standing a safe distance behind :D

The Etihad.....or Emptihad, really living up to its name.
    On Wednesday, for the Champions League clash with Europa League champions Sevilla, 45,595 turned up.
    4,000 more than the 50,363 who turned up for the previous home match against last season's finalists, Italian giants Juventus.

Also and somewhat related and really absurd, City are being investigated as their fans booed the UCL anthem, I mean FFS its only an anthem, dont know why UEFA are taking the hard nosed stance on that.

The capacity though for such big games is pretty laughable though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,752 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Quote:
    On Wednesday, for the Champions League clash with Europa League champions Sevilla, 45,595 turned up.
    Quote:
    4,000 more than the 50,363 who turned up for the previous home match against last season's finalists, Italian giants Juventus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

The Etihad.....or Emptihad, really living up to its name.

Also and somewhat related and really absurd, City are being investigated as their fans booed the UCL anthem, I mean FFS its only an anthem, dont know why UEFA are taking the hard nosed stance on that.

The capacity though for such big games is pretty laughable though.

Pretty funny they're getting bent out of shape over it but why was it booed anyway? Love that anthem... the worst bit about the thursday night competition is the lack of chaaaaaampions...

hots wrote: »
    Pretty funny they're getting bent out of shape over it but why was it booed anyway? Love that anthem... the worst bit about the thursday night competition is the lack of chaaaaaampions...

No idea, off the top of my head its probably to do with UEFA fining them for 50m a few seasons back.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Could be because they are awful in Europe too. I know they've used that excuse in the past when they can't sell out a European game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,780 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Just seen that Mo Salah has made his Roma deal permanent

Really hope he doesn't do a De Bruyne on us

• Advertisement

Tbo is doing some exercises.

https://instagram.com/p/9Ja_wosgar/

Miss Tbo :'(

Just seen that Mo Salah has made his Roma deal permanent

Really hope he doesn't do a De Bruyne on us

Yea we don't seem to be very good at that do we, best of luck to him don't know if he were good enough but like Dwayne never really got a chance I think.

Rome in Florence at the weekend I believe should be interesting for Salah

Cuadrado has been excellent for Juve too. Mou does seem to have a habbit of not getting on with creative players.

Mata isn't as vital as he was for us but he's still doing well for United.

KDB, Cuadrado, Salah will all do way better then they did for us at other clubs. It's a shame that we can scout and recruit them but just can't seem to integrate them.

I'm guessing Hazard and Oscar will probably be added to that list in the near future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Lukker- wrote: »
    Cuadrado has been excellent for Juve too. Mou does seem to have a habbit of not getting on with creative players.

Mata isn't as vital as he was for us but he's still doing well for United.

KDB, Cuadrado, Salah will all do way better then they did for us at other clubs. It's a shame that we can scout and recruit them but just can't seem to integrate them.

I'm guessing Hazard and Oscar will probably be added to that list in the near future.

We'll buy Hazard off you.

In all seriousness though, I think Jose has no choice other than to resolve the Hazard situation (if there is one).

He's gotten rid of loads of wingers and bought quite a few.

So far Hazard who he inherited is working out. So is Willian.

Pedro is still a maybe.

If Hazard goes, he'll be down to a single winger which isn't enough.

gosplan wrote: »
    We'll buy Hazard off you.

In all seriousness though, I think Jose has no choice other than to resolve the Hazard situation (if there is one).

He's gotten rid of loads of wingers and bought quite a few.

So far Hazard who he inherited is working out. So is Willian.

Pedro is still a maybe.

If Hazard goes, he'll be down to a single winger which isn't enough.

Willian, while being a very willing worker and puts in a great defensive shift, doesnt justify his price tag for me.

He doesnt score or set up enough goals to be a £30m player, yes, hes started this season very well but until he does it consistently i'll be sceptical of him.

I keep harking on about it but some of the players came back with a bit of extra weight and starting pre-season so late doesnt allow you to address those issues before your first few frendlies, we came back to training and were off to America with in 3 days, the players on pre-season shouldnt over indulge but I think next year, assuming Jose is still here, he wont be allowing such an extended rest, even if we win anything this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,752 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Willian, while being a very willing worker and puts in a great defensive shift, doesnt justify his price tag for me.

He doesnt score or set up enough goals to be a £30m player, yes, hes started this season very well but until he does it consistently i'll be sceptical of him.

I keep harking on about it but some of the players came back with a bit of extra weight and starting pre-season so late doesnt allow you to address those issues before your first few frendlies, we came back to training and were off to America with in 3 days, the players on pre-season shouldnt over indulge but I think next year, assuming Jose is still here, he wont be allowing such an extended rest, even if we win anything this year.

I'd respectfully disagree. A lot of Willian's work has been on defensive duties, covering for Ivanovic. A lot of Brana's defensive faillings last year were glossed over because of his assists and goals but he didn't just become a defensive nightmare at the start of this season. So if you look at Willian now in the last couple of games, he's starting to look like that 30m player

duploelabs wrote: »
    I'd respectfully disagree. A lot of Willian's work has been on defensive duties, covering for Ivanovic. A lot of Brana's defensive faillings last year were glossed over because of his assists and goals but he didn't just become a defensive nightmare at the start of this season. So if you look at Willian now in the last couple of games, he's starting to look like that 30m player

Yea would go along with that, said it many times last season Willian was being blunted because of Ivan. I only hope we keep clean sheets until Ivan is fit in which case it will be difficult to pop him back in.

duploelabs wrote: »

I agree in the last couple of games hes done better but this is his 3rd season at the club.

If you told me 3 years ago we'd buy a winger worth 30m and he'd have under 10PL golas in about 70 games I'd have said Spurs can have him.

Willian does out in a massive shift on the right and its usually to cover Ivan but for me and I'm probably nit picking, he doesnt go at people enough, hes got serious pace and good control he should be beating FBs with ease but usually turns back and plays it to the CM or #10, its great to see him putting in a shift but until he starts performing consistently well and chips in with goals and assists he'll never justify his price tag.

Even taken his goals in isolation, there was 2 freak FKs that travelled 35yards avoiding everyone and into the net, now, its great delivery to give everyone a chance but hes not suddenly become Mijhalovic from dead balls. :pac: I remember his debut against Norwich and under serious pressure he put the game to bed with an excellent finish and thought to myself we've got a world class player.

Hes been one of our best performer this year, hes been very important anyway and I'd much prefer to see Azp behind him than Ivan as he wouldnt have as much defensive duties to look after.

• Advertisement

Yea would go along with that, said it many times last season Willian was being blunted because of Ivan. I only hope we keep clean sheets until Ivan is fit in which case it will be difficult to pop him back in.

I'd be truly shocked if, when Ivan is fully fit that he doesnt walk back into the side.

Given we played Zouma at RB on Tuesday im also expecting him to continue there on Saturday, Rahman will probably get the Capital 1 cup game against Stoke during the week then.

Joses presser is at 12 today too.

If JT starts, it will be his 450th EPL start for us, if Oscar plays it will be his 100th Chelsea appearance.

I think I read somewhere that Winston Reid is out of our game tomorrow, if true thats good for us.

Hes a pretty decent CB.

I think I read somewhere that Winston Reid is out of our game tomorrow, if true thats good for us.

Hes a pretty decent CB.

Believe he is out, he is a very decent player for sure.

Remy, Pedro out for tomorrow apparently

From what he said about Matic performance against Kiev seems RLC wont start tomorrow

• Advertisement

Seems very upset about some (personal) media stories about him was quite a dour press conference

Jose : I was happy with MAtic in the last two games and was happy with Hazard performance in Keiv.

Seems very upset about some (personal) media stories about him was quite a dour press conference

That was the two young fellas following him for a few minutes from his house and recording him.

When he allegedly pushed passed one of them knocking his phone.

From what he said about Matic performance against Kiev seems RLC wont start tomorrow

I'm not bothered who starts as long as we win this weekend.

West Ham are pretty physical side and Matic will be well able to handle them.

I'm going to predict the line up is

Begovic
    Zouma Cahill JT Azp
    Matic Ramires
    Willian Cesc Hazard
    Costa

jose "You are not going to get any funny headlines out of me. I treat you - same way your bosses treat me: no respect. No respect"

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement