Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Theres plenty of incentive for Pato other than the money, hes working for one of the best clubs in Europe, with the best facilities, some excellent players and in one of the best cities in Europe too.

I do think the reports of him acting the prat with training scheduels and fitness were a load of bo**ocks as Guus would have commented on it if it was true. Hes probably ready to give a good 60mins right now so I'd start him against Swansea but also play TRaore up top and PAto from wide.

Courtois
    Azp Ivan JT Rahman
    RLC Cesc
    Pedro Willian Pato
    Traore

Nods for Mizaga are possible too but I'm hoping RLC starts after a good 60mins against Villa, he faded a bit but was probably our best player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Nods for Mizaga are possible too but I'm hoping RLC starts after a good 60mins against Villa, he faded a bit but was probably our best player.

I thought Miazga looked very good, although it wasn't the toughest game to play he had a difficult striker to deal with and did things very well. I was impressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,752 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Good to get it out of the way....now can we book tbe champions parade for May 2017 ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

im happy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Good that its confirmed

Interesting reading into the statement if youre so inclined.

Marina :
    We are very pleased to have recruited one of the most highly regarded managers in world football and we are equally pleased to do so before the end of the current season. This aids our future planning.

New contract for JT?

Hard to say Gav seems to have no issue with a players age built Juve around an ageing Pirlo. Dont think for a second he will do that with JT but if we could get Christensen back along with Matt the Yank and Happy it will be a very young and inexperienced group of CB's I would have thought having JT around even as an influence at the training ground would be worth its weight in gold.

Does he play a high line though? If he does JT wont fit in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭Killinator

The important thing is we'll have a suave looking manager on the side lines again :p

One thing this does put to bed though despite what an awful lot of people say about our constant sacking of managers and our lack of CL footie next season we can still attract the best to the Bridge. I cannot understand how people forget the attraction of money firstly (and we are one of the best payers out there) working under exemplary conditions secondly (the conditions modes of transport hotels used are all first class) and then London thirdly one of the best cities in the world.

Looking forward now to next season after the disaster this was (I just hope And Leicester hang in there that will take the edge off of it).

• Advertisement

Hard to say Gav seems to have no issue with a players age built Juve around an ageing Pirlo. Dont think for a second he will do that with JT but if we could get Christensen back along with Matt the Yank and Happy it will be a very young and inexperienced group of CB's I would have thought having JT around even as an influence at the training ground would be worth its weight in gold.

Does he play a high line though? If he does JT wont fit in there.

The narrative doing the rounds is that JT will only be offered a player/coach deal and thats if Conte is willing to have him as part of his 1st team coaching setup.

So it remains to be seen.

Killinator wrote: »
    The important thing is we'll have a suave looking manager on the side lines again :p

You have that :)

But I will be surprised he lasts a full season, either sacked or in court in Italy.

juventus-manager-antonio-conte.gif

Seems excited to get the big job at last

You can tell he enjoys a good red wine.

I just hope he brings some conte-nuity to us next season. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

You have that :)

But I will be surprised he lasts a full season, either sacked or in court in Italy.

Pfff.

Being in Court in Italy is about as serious as getting lines from your teacher in school. I wouldn't be worried about that determining his career with us.

You can tell he enjoys a good red wine.

Likes a red rose too

CfMmqNQW4AEyK4Q.jpg:large

I just hope he brings some conte-nuity to us next season. :pac:

Let hope he doesn't turn out to be a conte

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

How is Conte's english ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

How is Conte's english ?

I seen him speaking English in an interview before Christmas. It seemed conversational then. Like he managed. And i'd say it's only better now as I had read he was taking professional lessons.

Conte probably knew since Joses sacking that Chelsea were seriously interested, so he will have had about 6 months of language courses before he finally takes over so he should be somewhat upto speed by that stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Our year. (Next year)

Panthro wrote: »
    Our year. (Next year)

Never go full pool

duploelabs wrote: »
    Never go full pool

Theyre bound to get their s**t together next year though arent they?

Which means top 4 will be very difficult.

Our year. (Next year)

We dare to dream :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Theyre bound to get their s**t together next year though arent they?

Which means top 4 will be very difficult.

If we only have Capital One Cup, FA cup and PL to play we should make top 4 with ease and go damn close to winning the PL at a minimum.

This group of players have seriously underperformed this season I cannot see someone with Conte's reputation sitting back and allowing that to happen. Mind you I would have said the same about Jose.

The summer transfer window will be critical. Contes official title from the press release is first team head coach, meaning either Emenalo will continue in his role or he'll be replaced by somebody of Contes choosing.

Yes Conte will have a huge say in who we bring in but he wont have the final say in some dealings it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

The summer transfer window will be critical. Contes official title from the press release is first team head coach, meaning either Emenalo will continue in his role or he'll be replaced by somebody of Contes choosing.

Yes Conte will have a huge say in who we bring in but he wont have the final say in some dealings it seems.

I think this is huge - summer transfer window. I think that either Jóse didn't get what he wanted last time around or both the club and manager got it so horrifically wrong it was the start of our undoing for this season - culminating in the loss of Jóse and ultimately our battle to get away from the relegation zone (as champions!!) in the PL.
    So, Conte is to arrive with a big fat yard brush and a healthy Chelsea expense account.
    Please....????

• Advertisement

cadaliac wrote: »
    I think this is huge - summer transfer window. I think that either Jóse didn't get what he wanted last time around or both the club and manager got it so horrifically wrong it was the start of our undoing for this season - culminating in the loss of Jóse and ultimately our battle to get away from the relegation zone (as champions!!) in the PL.
    So, Conte is to arrive with a big fat yard brush and a healthy Chelsea expense account.
    Please....????

We certainly need at the moment, a CM anyway, the rest of the squad and loan players have a decent enough set of talent that we'd get away with not making wholesale changes but if offers for Mikel, Oscar, Costa, Hazard Courtois came in, they could all be gone.

First and foremost we need a CM and Pogba would be the dream, followed by Verratti.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

I wouldn't sell Costa unless we have an equally talented player signed beforehand. £75m isn't much use if you have no one to spend it on. Hopefully Conte can convince him to stay but I don't particularly blame him for wanting to leave. Defenders are always given the benefit of the doubt in the PL, it's even worse when it's Costa, plenty of refs give players free reign to kick lumps out of him but they will be the first to book him when he has a bite back. The FA just make matters worse, if your name is Costa it seems to automatically get you an extra games suspension.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

If we only have Capital One Cup, FA cup and PL to play we should make top 4 with ease and go damn close to winning the PL at a minimum.

This group of players have seriously underperformed this season I cannot see someone with Conte's reputation sitting back and allowing that to happen. Mind you I would have said the same about Jose.

I wouldn't say that at all, just look at how far behind we were this year! Even looking at Utd rebuilding it's easy to see these things take time. No matter how good our summer signings are the rest will be signing similarly and none of the big guns will be this poor again.

I'd take top 4 next year in a heartbeat with City (money + Pep) & Arsenal guaranteed top 4 (I assume) and then us, Utd (money + new manager), Spurs (flying), Pool (German influence), Leicester (seems rude to rule them out) all in a dog fight for the other 2 spots. Next year should be a fantastic affair in terms of competitiveness providing ourselves and Utd pull the socks up a bit.

I see your point Hots but I dont think we are as far behind as say Liverpool or United were / are.

We may have a lot of what we need already MvG was wanted by everyone when we got him, bad injury but is tearing it up with PSG and looked handy when given (the very odd) run at Stoke. Can Matic be as bad again I would hope not, whatever it is it just has not happened for him this season. If he has not been able to get over the Barnes tackle then his mind is gone.

If Pato has a decent end to the season then a fully fit Pato with Traore and Costa along side should be more than enough for what will be at best about a 50 game season, it might only be 41 at worst.

Main concern for me is defence Cahill is awful, Ivan too old (can do a job at CB still but not full back). Can we get Christensen back? Is Kalas good enough - seemed to be but has he progressed or gone backwards at 'Boro? Happy may not be back at the start of the season and JT is no spring chicken if he stays. Matt looked handy on Saturday but lets face it Villa were not up for it really.

Is Todd Kane good enough to give Dave a run at RB? He seems to be doing well and could well be worth a shot certainly a good look at in pre season at least. Baba for me is good enough but needs a run to settle I would leave him in the side for the remaining fixtures. So we need a second LB, Kenedy is OK at a push but he is not really a CL winning LB.

There is a lot of money floating about in the PL thanks to Sky and BT it will be tough for sure. I hope LVG stays at United for another season, Pepe has a bit to do at City they have an excellent squad by far the best in England but their defence as well is a little ropey. Liverpool will be better with Kloop he seems to know what he is about but so far he has not done a lot more than Rodgers (not that I watch Liverpool a lot so I do stand to be corrected on that). Arsenal will be there and there abouts as will Spurs European footie and expectation will do for Leicester I think.

It will be any 4 from 5 really for me City in the box seat but with no European adventures to worry about good recovery times a lot of time on the training pitch we should be able to give them a hell of a run for their money. How Arsenal and United do will really depend on who is in charge.

But yea this season is great value for the unbiased and next season should be at least as good.

I see your point Hots but I dont think we are as far behind as say Liverpool or United were / are.

We may have a lot of what we need already MvG was wanted by everyone when we got him, bad injury but is tearing it up with PSG and looked handy when given (the very odd) run at Stoke. Can Matic be as bad again I would hope not, whatever it is it just has not happened for him this season. If he has not been able to get over the Barnes tackle then his mind is gone.

If Pato has a decent end to the season then a fully fit Pato with Traore and Costa along side should be more than enough for what will be at best about a 50 game season, it might only be 41 at worst.

Main concern for me is defence Cahill is awful, Ivan too old (can do a job at CB still but not full back). Can we get Christensen back? Is Kalas good enough - seemed to be but has he progressed or gone backwards at 'Boro? Happy may not be back at the start of the season and JT is no spring chicken if he stays. Matt looked handy on Saturday but lets face it Villa were not up for it really.

Is Todd Kane good enough to give Dave a run at RB? He seems to be doing well and could well be worth a shot certainly a good look at in pre season at least. Baba for me is good enough but needs a run to settle I would leave him in the side for the remaining fixtures. So we need a second LB, Kenedy is OK at a push but he is not really a CL winning LB.

There is a lot of money floating about in the PL thanks to Sky and BT it will be tough for sure. I hope LVG stays at United for another season, Pepe has a bit to do at City they have an excellent squad by far the best in England but their defence as well is a little ropey. Liverpool will be better with Kloop he seems to know what he is about but so far he has not done a lot more than Rodgers (not that I watch Liverpool a lot so I do stand to be corrected on that). Arsenal will be there and there abouts as will Spurs European footie and expectation will do for Leicester I think.

It will be any 4 from 5 really for me City in the box seat but with no European adventures to worry about good recovery times a lot of time on the training pitch we should be able to give them a hell of a run for their money. How Arsenal and United do will really depend on who is in charge.

But yea this season is great value for the unbiased and next season should be at least as good.

Oh don't get me wrong there is a lot of potential and positives in the squad but there are far too many maybes imo to make a run at the top next year. Apart from up front I think we are multiple players short in all areas of the pitch compared to our league winning sides of the past. Lot's of potential but so much work required at individual level nevermind learning to play as a team.

hots wrote: »
    Oh don't get me wrong there is a lot of potential and positives in the squad but there are far too many maybes imo to make a run at the top next year. Apart from up front I think we are multiple players short in all areas of the pitch compared to our league winning sides of the past. Lot's of potential but so much work required at individual level nevermind learning to play as a team.

I have to agree here.
    We were realistically falling apart at the end of last season. We could barley win a game if my mind serves me correctly in the last two months of the 14/15 season. It carried on after the summer and into this season with things going from bad to worse and it left me wondering just how bad was it going to get.

Anyway, as Gav pointed out earlier, the summer transfer market is key. I think that if Jose had signed the players in key areas (CM being one) like he wanted at he time things could have turned out differently for our 15/16 season.
    That's just one indicator on how things went wrong and its one area where Chelsea as a club and Conte as a "First Team Coach" (as against manager) can make a significant difference in the 16/17 season.

Going back to the point above - players playing as individuals and not for the team is a huge obstacle. That might come good with a new coach, who is to know at this early stage? I do know one thing. The club should learn from the mistakes made last year. One of which was not securing the key players in the key positions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Were the lads brought in last summer really Jose targets though?

(P.S. good to read a few positive posts in here, makes a change from most of the season!)

To be perfectly honest, I don't know. I was just assuming that he didn't get what he wanted. Well, that's just from media reports and social media more than anything else.

In any case, I am certainly looking forward to some structure coming back to the Bridge with the arrival of Conte.
    Unity and structure.

Were the lads brought in last summer really Jose targets though?

(P.S. good to read a few positive posts in here, makes a change from most of the season!)

Just look at them

Begovic, probably a moot call as hes home grown and a good goalkeeper we do know Jose didnt want Cech going to Arsenal though but that went over his head.

Papy, no hope he was ever on Joses list, reports of bids turned down for Stones and Marquinhos and enquiries about Varane, shows who we really wanted.
    Hector, see above.
    Rahman, tough one, guys has clear quality but has a lot to learn, we were meant to be after the Swiss LB rodriquez but that was a no go.

Pedro, was meant to join up early in the window but a oved stalled only for Utd to be favourites and a move fall through and we ended up getting him, weird one but I assumed he'd have been better.
    Kenedy, a board signing apparently but an impressive one and Jose kept him around.
    Nathan, like Kenedy, a signing over Joses head, currently on loan.

We sorely missed out on a CM and apparently we bid a mental amount for Pogba.

Falcao, Mendes is his agent, hes an agent of a lot of quality players as well as Jose, scratching backs went on here I've no doubt about it.

One thing is for sure, the players will have known about Contes arrival for sometime, so it's time for some of them to either s**t, or get off the pot. He wont put up with any of the nonsense that we've seen this season and hopefully he'll be backed by the board incase he does want someone turfed out.

The squad will have plenty of sources to find out about Conte and his reputation as coach so anyone not willing to pull their weight can frankly go take a running jump as far as I'm concerned. Leicester are about to win the league with about 42 games played, Liverpool nearly won the league playing a similar amount and theres no way in hell this current squad is any worse than those squads, not if everything is even. The players and staff have to be on the same page from day one and realise a top 4 finish at the very least is whats needed given we wont have any other commitment other than a minimum 38 league games and 2 cup games, maybe 3 if we finish low enough to be drawn in the 2nd round of the league cup, so thats 40/41 games to turn around a horrendous 12months, with conte at the helm and under his regime, if the players buy into it, theres no reason why we cant fly up the table.

kasey palmer giving phil jones the the run around in last nights u-21 match

https://twitter.com/TweetChelseaCF/status/717074045322141696

• Advertisement

I think Palmer has abot 15 goals this year, decent going.

Cant remember it being mentioned but RLC wanted to come off against Villa as he felt gassed, he was basically told in no uncertain terms to suck it up and play on, hence his first 90mins for the first team.

Now, if that was Jose I've no doubt we'd have seen Matic on after 55-60mins but Guus and the coaches decided to make him play through the pain, does RLC have fitness/stamina issues, it seems like it but more minutes in the legs will hopefully change that so a sustained run in the side until the summer is needed.

Had he been used from the start of the season he might have become what Alli is now.

Guus :
    "He was used to being substituted after an hour." "But we deliberately kept him on to suffer for a little bit. He needed the experience of 90 minutes.

"He had a little bit of cramp and I said 'come on, it's good for you'. Although it was not the highest tempo game, he had to experience it."

He has to start against Swansea too and before, he might have been on the senior bench and then start an U21 game in the following days, he has to be strictly used by the senior side, he was our best player in the 1st half last Saturday, much like he was against Villa back at the Bridge earlier in the season, not a grea claim, as Villa are poor but given game time he could become a first team regular and I really hope he does.

Sell Oscar in the summer and give him the #8 jersey. ;)

Cant remember it being mentioned but RLC wanted to come off against Villa as he felt gassed, he was basically told in no uncertain terms to suck it up and play on, hence his first 90mins for the first team.

Now, if that was Jose I've no doubt we'd have seen Matic on after 55-60mins but Guus and the coaches decided to make him play through the pain, does RLC have fitness/stamina issues, it seems like it but more minutes in the legs will hopefully change that so a sustained run in the side until the summer is needed.

Had he been used from the start of the season he might have become what Alli is now.

Guus :

He has to start against Swansea too and before, he might have been on the senior bench and then start an U21 game in the following days, he has to be strictly used by the senior side, he was our best player in the 1st half last Saturday, much like he was against Villa back at the Bridge earlier in the season, not a grea claim, as Villa are poor but given game time he could become a first team regular and I really hope he does.

Sell Oscar in the summer and give him the #8 jersey. ;)

Whilst it's good to hear he was told to get on with it, it surely raises concerns about our coaching methods? The fitness aspect is surely the easiest to fix? It must just be he was so comfortable @ U21 level he's not used to actually having to try for 90 minutes? Like you said the only way to fix it is with game time and a bit of hard work, tell himself and Pato that they both have 90 minutes coming up at the weekend and to make sure they're ready.

Also not a fan of him asking to be taken off, at all :/

Afternoon gossip
    Antonio Conte has told the Blues to re-sign Everton striker Romelu Lukaku – and wants a deal done before Euro 2016 (Daily Star)

– Incoming boss Conte hopes to bring Napoli and Argentina forward Gonzalo Higuain, 28, to Stamford Bridge (Gazetta dello Sport)

– Diego Costa is adamant he wants to return to La Liga in the summer, with former club Atletico Madrid interested in the striker (The Guardian)

– Chelsea are confident of signing Roma pair Radja Naingollan and Kostas Manolas – but look set to abandon a move for Juventus defender Leonardo Bonucci (Daily Star)

– Roma midfielder Miralem Pjanic has flown into London to discuss a possible move to Stamford Bridge (Daily Express)

– Mohamed Salah has revealed that he almost joined Liverpool before Jose Mourinho convinced him into moving to Chelsea (Daily Star)

hots wrote: »
    Whilst it's good to hear he was told to get on with it, it surely raises concerns about our coaching methods? The fitness aspect is surely the easiest to fix? It must just be he was so comfortable @ U21 level he's not used to actually having to try for 90 minutes? Like you said the only way to fix it is with game time and a bit of hard work, tell himself and Pato that they both have 90 minutes coming up at the weekend and to make sure they're ready.

Also not a fan of him asking to be taken off, at all :/

He may have also asked to come off because of the mentality of Jose, Jose didnt want players out there that were going to cost the side but at 4-0 up against Villa it was better for him to run around for 90mins than to get a rest, our next game wasnt for another week so he plenty of time to rest up and be ready for Swansea away.

At this stage, I wouldnt mind staying unbeaten until the end of the season, its a bit of a false record anyway given all the draws but it would be good to avoid defeat until Conte comes in.

peteeeed wrote: »
    Afternoon gossip
    Antonio Conte has told the Blues to re-sign Everton striker Romelu Lukaku – and wants a deal done before Euro 2016 (Daily Star)

– Incoming boss Conte hopes to bring Napoli and Argentina forward Gonzalo Higuain, 28, to Stamford Bridge (Gazetta dello Sport)

– Diego Costa is adamant he wants to return to La Liga in the summer, with former club Atletico Madrid interested in the striker (The Guardian)

– Chelsea are confident of signing Roma pair Radja Naingollan and Kostas Manolas – but look set to abandon a move for Juventus defender Leonardo Bonucci (Daily Star)

– Roma midfielder Miralem Pjanic has flown into London to discuss a possible move to Stamford Bridge (Daily Express)

– Mohamed Salah has revealed that he almost joined Liverpool before Jose Mourinho convinced him into moving to Chelsea (Daily Star)

The problem with going back for Lukaku is we sold him to buy Costa and we'd probably have to sell Costa to get him back. :pac:

Some mind f**k right there. I also can see us easily making our money back on Costa and maybe more but we'll be paying Everton about 45-50m if we want Lukaku back. Being honest, the move to Everton was always a steeping stone to a better side capable of pushing for the top 4 and or titles and Everton, at the moment anywa, arent going to do that and certainly not under Martinez, theyve a capable squad though.

The problem with going back for Lukaku is we sold him to buy Costa and we'd probably have to sell Costa to get him back. :pac:
    Sounds like Matic and Luiz.
    If Leicester win the EPL then Mark Schwarzer will have consecutive winners medals from two different clubs at the age of 43, late bloomer!

duploelabs wrote: »
    Sounds like Matic and Luiz.
    If Leicester win the EPL then Mark Schwarzer will have consecutive winners medals from two different clubs at the age of 43, late bloomer!

Not many people can claim that record surely? :o

Actually, speaking of CBs.....whats Luiz doing these days? :pac:

Swansea - a - win
    City - h - draw
    Bournemouth - a - win
    Spurs - h - draw
    Sunderland - a - win
    Pool - a - loss
    Leicester - h - draw

Our last games of the season, I reckon we'll get 12 points from these games putting us on 56 points, anywhere between 8th and 10th.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement