Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

GavRedKing wrote:
    The Refs assocation have to pull Clattenburg aside too, his performance was shocking and led to the incidents.

Seen headlines that he has had admitted he got things wrong and messed up the game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Seen headlines that he has had admitted he got things wrong and messed up the game

Spurs and Chelsea were charged with failing to control their players but Clattenburg should be questionned why he failed to protect Chelsea players from reckless and potentially dangerous tackles one after the other from Spurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭LightningBlue

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Dembele is facing a ban for poking Costa in the eye.

Walker has got away with kicking out at Pedro.

Lamela has got away with stamping on Cesc.

:rolleyes:

It's funny how the FA let Dier, Walker and Rose get away scot free with their thuggery.

I wonder what the connection could be there... :rolleyes: :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

And not a mention that there was a referee's assistant not 5 yards away from the Dembélé-Costa confrontation, staring directly at the eye gouge as it happened. How does that work then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Duck Soup wrote: »
    And not a mention that there was a referee's assistant not 5 yards away from the Dembélé-Costa confrontation, staring directly at the eye gouge as it happened. How does that work then?

In fairness there was 10 players or more around them at the time it would be easy to miss.

I'm surprised Spurs haven't gotten charged for failing to control their fans. They pelted coins at Hazard and the subs warming up when he scored.

Kánte supposedly has a £20m release clause and has already told PSG representatives that he has no interest returning to Ligue 1. Arsenal and Chelsea supposed to be most interested. That'd be a relative steal IMO.

Lukker- wrote: »
    Kánte supposedly has a £20m release clause and has already told PSG representatives that he has no interest returning to Ligue 1. Arsenal and Chelsea supposed to be most interested. That'd be a relative steal IMO.

I cant see him leaving, not to us anyway, we've no UCL football and theyve all worked hard to get there, no point throwing that away fro the glitz and glamour and money of London at the moment, IMO.

Just hearing Pellegrini and Harts comments from last night and they said they were unlucky to go out to that goal.

TBH, on the balance of the 2 legs they can have no issues, they were outclassed by a severly under performing Real Madrid whos star player was struggling with injury last night and missing their CF.

They missed a serious opportunity and I cant see them getting that chance in the near future. I watched the RTE panel rip them to shreds last night, some of it justified, some of it not so much. I'd expect Guardiola to do good work with City but this wont be the 2 horse race he was used to in Germany and Spain and hes got a much worse squad and players to deal with this time around and thats no disrespect to City but he had a great team in Barca and inherited a treble winning Bayern side they were/are miles better than anything currently in the EPL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

What a brutal semi last night ...

anyway , this still raises the hairs on my neck.. legends

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8e7puouktwvsqc2/barca_Chelsea_bbc5%20%281%29.mp3?dl=0

• Advertisement

I cant see him leaving, not to us anyway, we've no UCL football and theyve all worked hard to get there, no point throwing that away fro the glitz and glamour and money of London at the moment, IMO.

More rumours today that Conte has OKed Matic sale to Juve.

Hopefully we don't sell anyone until we have replacements signed.

More rumours today that Conte has OKed Matic sale to Juve.

Hopefully we don't sell anyone until we have replacements signed.

Nainogglan?

Or bring back Van Ginkel.

Nainogglan?

Or bring back Van Ginkel.

Neither are really defensive midfielders though. Van Ginkel has been flourishing for PSV much further forward.

Neither are really defensive midfielders though. Van Ginkel has been flourishing for PSV much further forward.

I dont think we'll need one if we go for a 3 man CM and Cesc is the deep playmaker with 2 runners either side of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

I would say that pretty much everything papers are printing regarding our transfers in and out are BS. For me I would love to see MvG and Matic given a run next season if Matic does rediscover his form then that could be a fantastic partnership.

Would Conte be so quick to sell a player that was one of the best in Europe in his position last season without a close look at him? Seems unlikely to me.

I would say that pretty much everything papers are printing regarding our transfers in and out are BS. For me I would love to see MvG and Matic given a run next season if Matic does rediscover his form then that could be a fantastic partnership.

Would Conte be so quick to sell a player that was one of the best in Europe in his position last season without a close look at him? Seems unlikely to me.

Hes been our worse performer this year, actually its close between him and Ivanovic but I'd give it to Matic considering what he was and the level he played at.

Although Guus persisting with Mikel in CM over him is as baffling as any decision you're likely to see.

Its like Guus came in and decided he was going to play Mikel and another, no matter how bad Mikel has been.

He has been truly awful this season to be sure but I agree the reason I would have thought Conte would have a look at him first is the last few seasons he has been exceptional. Perhaps his nerve has gone a little since that Barnes tackle (though I doubt it) but then a lot of players were dire this season.

Matic has been the only one that hasnt improved since the start of the season though, hes continued to look like a guy picked from the crowd.

All of the players have at least improved slightly since the dark days under Jose, Matic hasnt, although Guus hasnt exactly trusted him too either and as I mentioned, keeping Mikel in the starting XI serves no purpose, at his best he was never as good as Matic and they should have kept Matic in the team to build up some confidence see if he can turn it around but hes kept playing Mikel, its baffling.

Celtic introducing safe standing into Parkhead.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/may/04/celtic-safe-standing-next-season

I wonder will safe standing be allowed in the EPL, anyone ever been to the Shed or Matthew Harding Lower stands will know that you spent nearly the entire game standing anyway.

• Advertisement

Even if we kept Matic I'd sign another defensive mid. He can't really be trusted at this stage, especially if we get rid of Mikel.

Our main problems this season have stemmed from lack of cover for our defence from midfield. I expect to see the most drastic changes there tbh. Wouldn't surprise me if Fabregas was the only survivor.

And even if we did deploy no defensive mids, if we sold Matic we'd still need to sign one to bring on in tight games. Mikel is probably out the door too. It'd be high up the list of priorities for me, it'd be naive not to IMO.

Kudos Celtic it is the way to go. The noise generated by semi naked Germans in the height of winter is super entertainment (was at a match in Cologne once was something like -10C and yes there was semi naked fans on the terracing swilling beer having mad craic)

Perhaps now that the truth about Hillsborough is out a sane debate on terracing can begin

Kudos Celtic it is the way to go. The noise generated by semi naked Germans in the height of winter is super entertainment (was at a match in Cologne once was something like -10C and yes there was semi naked fans on the terracing swilling beer having mad craic)

Perhaps now that the truth about Hillsborough is out a sane debate on terracing can begin

Booze certainly helps, I can also speak from sitting on my hands at many Irish games in October/November being pretty oiled up helps the cold and the viewing of terrible football. :pac:

I'd imagine a lot of teams will make provisions for it or at leat trial it, it wont happen at the current Stamford Bridge but the new Bridge, it should be at least explored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,670 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Booze certainly helps, I can also speak from sitting on my hands at many Irish games in October/November being pretty oiled up helps the cold and the viewing of terrible football. :pac:

I'd imagine a lot of teams will make provisions for it or at leat trial it, it wont happen at the current Stamford Bridge but the new Bridge, it should be at least explored.

Glühwein, my friends. They sell it at half time at the lower league German games. Only thing to get you through the second half sometimes (and for an extra 50c they'll throw a shot of rum in it ofr you :D)

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Glühwein, my friends. They sell it at half time at the lower league German games. Only thing to get you through the second half sometimes (and for an extra 50c they'll throw a shot of rum in it ofr you :D)

I had to Google that. :o

Although, I cant stand hot drinks, I've never drank tea or coffee in my life and ive tried both just cant get my head around the concept of a hot drink.

Ive tried mulled wine at work xmas events too and its not for me. :P

Yea thats exactly what I was drinking, dont mind cold but that was flipping freezing. I take mine straight she who must be obeyed with Amaretto warms the cockles of your heart does that.

• Advertisement

I actually wonder, given the way Leicester play very well on the counter and are usually camped in there own half waiting to spring that counter attack, would Kante suit a team that likes to play a more progressive game with the CMs allowed time to play football? Hi smain job is breaking up ply and tracking runners and hes excellent at it but thats when Leicester have usually given up 2/3's of the ball, it would be the opposite for someone like us where we'd usually have the majority of the football and would he suit that style?

I suppose if he starts for France this summer in the Euros we'll see how he gets on in a setup that will be about keeping the football and going through phases instead of out and out counter attacking.

I actually wonder, given the way Leicester play very well on the counter and are usually camped in there own half waiting to spring that counter attack, would Kante suit a team that likes to play a more progressive game with the CMs allowed time to play football? Hi smain job is breaking up ply and tracking runners and hes excellent at it but thats when Leicester have usually given up 2/3's of the ball, it would be the opposite for someone like us where we'd usually have the majority of the football and would he suit that style?

I suppose if he starts for France this summer in the Euros we'll see how he gets on in a setup that will be about keeping the football and going through phases instead of out and out counter attacking.

I'd say he can do both. He's a pretty good passer, nothing flashy. He also is a pretty good ball carrier too. He gets a nosebleed if he passes the center circle though

I'd say he can do both. He's a pretty good passer, nothing flashy. He also is a pretty good ball carrier too. He gets a nosebleed if he passes the center circle though

I wonder will Conte take back the guys like Salah and Cuadrado and give them a shot or will they be used to bolster the transfer kitty?

Be interesting to see his take on what we need and how he goes about getting those players.

I wonder will Conte take back the guys like Salah and Cuadrado and give them a shot or will they be used to bolster the transfer kitty?

Be interesting to see his take on what we need and how he goes about getting those players.

Salah's been sold. He's still technically our player but the deal comes into affect as soon as the summer transfer window opens.

Cuadrado, he is keen to bring back if reports are to be believed. Could just be posturing, I'd prefer to try and use him as bait to get someone like Bonucci.

Salah's been sold. He's still technically our player but the deal comes into affect as soon as the summer transfer window opens.

Cuadrado, he is keen to bring back if reports are to be believed. Could just be posturing, I'd prefer to try and use him as bait to get someone like Bonucci.

The Salah one is strange, Roma said he was sold to them for abot €14/15m I think but there was nothing made of it since then and this was very early in the season. I dont think Salah would have a future with us anyway, hes like a lighting fast Pedro with less composure and finishing ability which doesnt make for good reading.

Im not sold on Cuadrado either, think he was a panic buy and you only have to look at our wide player purchases to show we dont have a clue how to buy them, Hazard has been the only good one IMO in the last few years.

Willian is probably the next best but I dont think hes great either, Pedro has been poor, Cuadrado was shocking, Salah was as bad if not worse than Cuadrado.

• Advertisement

At least we'll make a profit on Salah, €20m is the fee afaik. Prob make a sizeable loss on Cudrado.

If we made close to a 5 million loss it wouldnt be the end of the world but Cuadrado hasnt exactly done well for Juve either.

Buddy is a Juve fan so watches them nearly every weekend and he said hes not great.

I remember when we signed him he was touted as a potential right wing back, I'd bloody take him over Ivan anyday of the week anyway if we wanted to keep him on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Garzorico

Liverpool are going to get a cricket score against us in the league fixture. I am dreading it more and more each passing game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Garzorico wrote: »
    Liverpool are going to get a cricket score against us in the league fixture. I am dreading it more and more each passing game.

We'll probably put out the u21's against ye, i would'nt be too worried.

We'll probably put out the u21's against ye, i would'nt be too worried.

I'd say there will be a good few youths from both teams playing tbh, bit of a nothing game for both teams and Pool will have bigger priorities with Europa League.

Garzorico wrote: »

Probably, wont mean anything for either side really if it does happen, we cant finish higher than 9th anyway, well we can finish 8th but it means sweet FA.

Pool have a chance at top 6 and Europa or if Utd win the FA cup, 7th will do them for a Europa spot OR they win the europa league and go into the UCL.

Either way, theyve much more to play for, lucky our away record is a bit more respectable than our home record, we'll still lose but it wont be a bloodbath.

Think the Liverpool game might the similar to the game a few years back when we were looking at the CL final and got hammered. I dont think we will hammer Liverpool but if we show the same passion as against Spurs Liverpool could well be looking at the EL final (and as it has a CL place they really should be) then we should win.

But as Gav says means bugger all to us the main bright spot of that will be only one game left of this miserable season.

So now apparently TBo will only stay if Christophe Lollichon is sacked, now I have no idea how true this is but if there is truth in it how many people have to go to keep TBo happy? Hopefully it is just BS.

http://www.chelsea.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=566113

So then pop pickers not many games left, seen as Sunderland are heavily involved in the relegation race we should really put out a strong (or perceived as strong at least) team. So my team would be

TBo
    Dave, Ivan, JT, Baba
    Matic, Cesc
    Hazard, RLC, Kenedy
    Costa

But almost certain we will get

TBo
    Ivan, JT, Cahill, Dave
    Lovechild, Cesc
    Hazard, Oscar, Willian
    Costa

Not to darken the mood but 06th May 2009 was when Tom Ovrebo disgraced football and gave Barca a CL final place, I still find it hard to believe it was just an incompetent performance by the ref it was way too biased. I am not into conspiracy theories but did UEFA want two consecutive all English finals?

• Advertisement

So then pop pickers not many games left, seen as Sunderland are heavily involved in the relegation race we should really put out a strong (or perceived as strong at least) team. So my team would be

TBo
    Dave, Ivan, JT, Baba
    Matic, Cesc
    Hazard, RLC, Kenedy
    Costa

But almost certain we will get

TBo
    Ivan, JT, Cahill, Dave
    Lovechild, Cesc
    Hazard, Oscar, Willian
    Costa

Hes got very little time for Oscar so it will probably be Pedro. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I don't bear such a grudge about that match as others do, tbh.

We had more than enough chances to score that night and in the end, it wasn't a dodgy refereeing decision that caused their goal, it was a wonderful strike.

I know the referee was bad but if we'd scored or just kept our head for the last few minutes, we would have gone through.

Also, its highly unlikely JT will be kept at this stage, he wasnt in any of the kit launch pictures so to me, that shim out the door barring a dramatic late U turn from the club.

If Conte wants to be an instant hero, he'll demand JT gets a deal but its just as likely he doesnt want JT, which would make little sense to me, he should be ehre to help the new manager even if he only plays 10-15 games next year.

Also, its highly unlikely JT will be kept at this stage, he wasnt in any of the kit launch pictures so to me, that shim out the door barring a dramatic late U turn from the club.

If Conte wants to be an instant hero, he'll demand JT gets a deal but its just as likely he doesnt want JT, which would make little sense to me, he should be ehre to help the new manager even if he only plays 10-15 games next year.

I don't bear such a grudge about that match as others do, tbh.

We had more than enough chances to score that night and in the end, it wasn't a dodgy refereeing decision that caused their goal, it was a wonderful strike.

I know the referee was bad but if we'd scored or just kept our head for the last few minutes, we would have gone through.

Nah, it was rotten to the core, they had 1 shot on target and should have had at least 2 red cards and 2 penalties given against them.

It still graits to this day with me, its not like we were bad, as you said we played well but when the luck like that goes against you, you can only look back at the decisions not given and scratch your head...or pull out your hair.

Lukker- wrote:
    I'd say there will be a good few youths from both teams playing tbh, bit of a nothing game for both teams and Pool will have bigger priorities with Europa League.
    I'm waiting for Guus to come out and say it will be all about the youth... and proceeds to play Terry, Ivan, Cahill, Lampard with Bobby Tambling and Peter Osgood up front for good measure. RLC, Miazga and Traore will be on the bench, with Miazga coming on in the 80th minute to replace Hazard and swapping with Ivan.

Just watched that Iniesta goal again (still hurts).

Quality is terrible so might not get the names right. Ball comes into the from the right. It's nodded out. Falls to Eto'o, who can't control. Essien just needs to hoof it out but he completely misses it. It falls to Xavi (maybe?) and he has three men near him. He lays it off to Iniesta on the edge of the box with someone standing five yards in front of him not moving and he smashes it in. It was the last minute.

92nd minute at 1-0, we're going through. They had played the last half an hour or so with ten men. I know the referee was crap but the players still had enough in their favour to see out the game.

Whos going to be our 2nd/3rd CF next year, Costa is likely to be kept, cant see us selling him and Traore looks like a decent prospect, cant see Pato, Remy and Falcao being here next year TBH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,752 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Remy and Falcao definitely not, maybe Pato might stay and alternate 2nd and 3rd with Traore

• Advertisement

duploelabs wrote: »
    Remy and Falcao definitely not, maybe Pato might stay and alternate 2nd and 3rd with Traore

Hiddink hasnt played him much so I dont know will Conte fancy him.

We do need quality though and theres no doubting on his day, fully fit, hes got quality so a full pre-season could really stand to Pato and given hes on relatively low wages too, I'd love for him to stay around.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement