Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,752 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Johner wrote: »
    I'm not bitter about it at all, he's a club legend but there was just no more he could give or do for Chelsea, it was the right decision for us to get rid. There was always a big chance he'd end up at United and as long at they finish behind us I don't mind. :P He'll get some reception back at the Bridge, it's going to be strange though!

I dont know, I still think he earned a bad season and cull the squad for this summer.

What could happen is we could cull the squad anyway and still have no Jose. :o

Simeone would have been my first choice but Conte could be a great appointment, time will tell but I'm willing to give him a season of grace too.

I'd love a top 4 finish and push on for the future though and maybe a good tilt at the FA/Captail 1 cups in Contes first year, its too unrealistic to expect him to win the league in his first go given youve got about 6 top class managers in the league with excellent squads and theyre all going to spend big, well except for Wenger, for a change. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Yea we are away too quick to sack managers, Jose the first time around then Carlo (the worst of the lot for me) and then the end of the second coming. Jose might be a little on the abrasive side but he brings results and I have no doubt the chase for top 4 just got much harder. United are stick on champions within the next 3 seasons, maybe not next but the season after would not surprise me.

Next season should be interesting with Jose, Pepe, Tony of Lecce, Kloop, Wenger and Pouch - there could be some very serious money spent this close season as well. You have to say the PL is exciting throw Leicester into the mix and 7 teams will be in there fighting next year (and West Ham will rattle a few cages as well). Ourselves and Liverpool have it the easiest but there is no guaranteed CL place for an English team in the short term unlike Spain, Germany and France.

Yea we are away too quick to sack managers, Jose the first time around then Carlo (the worst of the lot for me) and then the end of the second coming. Jose might be a little on the abrasive side but he brings results and I have no doubt the chase for top 4 just got much harder. United are stick on champions within the next 3 seasons, maybe not next but the season after would not surprise me.

Next season should be interesting with Jose, Pepe, Tony of Lecce, Kloop, Wenger and Pouch - there could be some very serious money spent this close season as well. You have to say the PL is exciting throw Leicester into the mix and 7 teams will be in there fighting next year (and West Ham will rattle a few cages as well). Ourselves and Liverpool have it the easiest but there is no guaranteed CL place for an English team in the short term unlike Spain, Germany and France.

Well thats the thing about the EPL now, its the most competitive league, has been for years but its nowhere near the best.

The quality in the league is all of similar standard bar a few standout players in each team.

You only have to look at a few of the managers in the league and guess theres about 5 of the top 10 coaches in the world in the league and some with serious potential like Bilic.

I only just seen earlier that MAtt the Yank didnt make the Copa America squad.

Cheers Guus, playing Mikel at CB was a brilliant call. :pac:

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I only just seen earlier that MAtt the Yank didnt make the Copa America squad.

Cheers Guus, playing Mikel at CB was a brilliant call. :pac:

Yes our new youth team liaison officer didn't really do him too many favours last season.

Yes our new youth team liaison officer didn't really do him too many favours last season.

Ya, same goes for a lot of the youths, if he has a liaison officer, I'd be losing his number from my phone sharpish.

Just popped this in the Jose to United thread, it just had to be didn't it

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/05/23/dr-eva-carneiro-to-be-represented-by-manchester-united-season-ti/?

Not sure if posted earlier (actually had to do some work today) interesting article from WAGNH re Tony of Lecce's tactics.

http://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation.com/2016/5/22/11739446/watch-antonio-contes-3-3-4-system-explained

Cahill and Ivan reported to be having nightmares already I believe

Conte has dropped Pirlo for the Euros too.

• Advertisement

Not sure if posted earlier (actually had to do some work today) interesting article from WAGNH re Tony of Lecce's tactics.

http://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation.com/2016/5/22/11739446/watch-antonio-contes-3-3-4-system-explained

Cahill and Ivan reported to be having nightmares already I believe

We do need a new CB unless Conte is impressed by some of the current options.

Zouma Miazga and Christensen would be a formidable, quick and strong trio.

We do need a new CB unless Conte is impressed by some of the current options.

Zouma Miazga and Christensen would be a formidable, quick and strong trio.

Kalas is there too, although he may benefit from another season with boro now that they've been promoted

duploelabs wrote: »
    Kalas is there too, although he may benefit from another season with boro now that they've been promoted

I'd be shocked if he isnt sold this year.

We've got

Kalas, JT, Cahill, Ivan, Miazga, Zouma, Omerou, Hector, Papy Djibiobulduo and the youths. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

We really should have waited until we were in the relegation zone to sack him. Sacking a manager half way through the worst Premier League title defence ever was very premature.

We really should have waited until we were in the relegation zone to sack him. Sacking a manager half way through the worst Premier League title defence ever was very premature.

I sincerely doubt we would have been relegated, it was just a few short months that he got us the first PL for 5 years how quickly some forget. Jose is one of the best managers in the world if you can't back one of the best managers in the world to get you out of trouble then that's wrong in my book.
    Guus proved himself at best incompetent and he got us clear the same would have happened with Jose. Still history now Conte will have a good run for 6,12,18 months (delete as appropriate) and we will be back to where we started, it is all a little depressing in truth.

I'd be shocked if he isnt sold this year.

We've got

Kalas, JT, Cahill, Ivan, Miazga, Zouma, Omerou, Hector, Papy Djibiobulduo and the youths. :o

You forgot Mikel

I like the cut of thr Kalas jib let Cahill Papy go first

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

I sincerely doubt we would have been relegated, it was just a few short months that he got us the first PL for 5 years how quickly some forget. Jose is one of the best managers in the world if you can't back one of the best managers in the world to get you out of trouble then that's wrong in my book.
    Guus proved himself at best incompetent and he got us clear the same would have happened with Jose. Still history now Conte will have a good run for 6,12,18 months (delete as appropriate) and we will be back to where we started, it is all a little depressing in truth.

We were 16th after 16 games under Mourinho and there were no signs of improvement coming. Mourinho even continued to play all the players many in this thread wanted sold. Refusing, as he always has, to blood some young player. Something that Hiddink has been widely criticised for. The double-standards when comparing the two is incredible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

We were 16th after 16 games under Mourinho and there were no signs of improvement coming. Mourinho even continued to play all the players many in this thread wanted sold. Refusing, as he always has, to blood some young player. Something that Hiddink has been widely criticised for. The double-standards when comparing the two is incredible.

I don't think it's double standards, it's just frustrating that if the club is going to make that massive decision to sack arguably the best manager in the world cos he was struggling and kept faith too much in his senior players, that his replacement was going to do basically the same thing.

Should have just kept him and allowed him to regroup in the summer. Now he's at Man Utd and he's gona win the title in next two years.

Well done Chelsea, great work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Tigerbaby

While having great respect for Jose's work for the Club, I think we were in real danger by the time he was sacked. We were a point above the relegation zone, confidence was rock bottom, and we were getting worse, not better.

Have any of you spent time in rented accommodation with a group of other people. And when things go sour, arguments over petty things occur, and then they spiral out of control. and theres no way back. Poison has set in.

This is what happened to our Club. Jose was given ample time to turn it around, but it was obvious we were in a nose-dive.

And there is no such thing as too big to fail; we were on the same path as Leeds, Forest and now Villa.

Only one way out of that, I'm afraid.

Theres no way in hell we'd have been relegated if we stuck with Jose.

Anyway, its done and dusted, lots of chatter about Jose coming in for Matic when he signs for Utd, good, they can have him. For 12 months hes been a shadow of his former self.

I am still sore regarding the manner of Joses departure, he was simply not backed in last summers transfer window. He was then given a new 4 year contract before the start of the season then when things got rough not backed again. Simply put when the going gets tough we do not back our managers it is that simple.

Jose did not help himself that is for sure.
    Guus was a disaster in my opinion but that is all it is my opinion.

Still in Tony of Lecce we trust onwards and upwards, never liked the spiteful one a blight on humanity I say always have ;);););););)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

I just don't think there was any way back for Jose. He had lost the dressing room big time. Now I know this is completely wrong that this happens but unfortunately that's the way modern day football is. Some of his actions were strange even for him and he certainly didn't help himself. I wish things worked out but these things happen.

I've a friend on FB whos an Everton fan, whos had a bit of a meltdown that Jose is nailed on to Utd. According to a few of his posts and shared posts, Everton should have looked at Jose.

No, I'm not messing, thats Jose Mourinho, to Everton. At least they#re aiming high anyway, I'll give them that. :o

I am still sore regarding the manner of Joses departure, he was simply not backed in last summers transfer window. He was then given a new 4 year contract before the start of the season then when things got rough not backed again. Simply put when the going gets tough we do not back our managers it is that simple.

Jose did not help himself that is for sure.
    Guus was a disaster in my opinion but that is all it is my opinion.

Still in Tony of Lecce we trust onwards and upwards, never liked the spiteful one a blight on humanity I say always have ;);););););)

e backed Jose plenty but after the Bournemouth loss at home I assumed he was gone, when he survived that and the board said theyed back him, I assumed, wrongly, he'd see out the season at least and we'd back him in the summer, back him like we should have in the summer just gone.

It was also around the time that Pep said he wouldnt be staying on at Bayern and it was all but announced that he'd end up at City and I still assumed we'd keep him on.

F**k it, its done, we'll be the only club stupid enough to sack him twice but im behind Conte and the team to push on in the next few years and hopefully deliver another title.

• Advertisement

peteeeed wrote: »

Hopefully not, way too much money for him.

Still not convinced that Lukaku is a big game player and at that price he needs to be a certainty.

Still not convinced that Lukaku is a big game player and at that price he needs to be a certainty.

His first touch and hold up play still aren't good enough.

His first touch and hold up play still aren't good enough.

Surprising for a guy thats 6'2/3 that his hold up play is poor, his main game is speed and strength on the turn in behind.

Chelsea havent played that game in, well in as long as I can remember, we've nealry always been a build up team or a more direct route, not a pure route one of course but our CFs could usually hold up the ball and bring others in to the fold.

I'm not sure Lukaku can do that and TBH, Costa does it well but when he tries to take people on one on one you know hes going to f**k it up, Lukaku is better at that side of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

there seem to be no inbetween with him, he either looks like a world beater or someone who's never played the game before

• Advertisement

peteeeed wrote: »
    there seem to be no inbetween with him, he either looks like a world beater or someone who's never played the game before

He went on a run of scoring in I think about 9 games in a row this year, around the same time Vardy went on his record breaking run.

Hes still only 23 or 24 so hes got a huge future ahead of him, certainly bigger than Everton, no disrespect to them but he can do better than them.

I'd have loved to have kept him but his attitude and transfer request was an eye opener to the type of player and ego youre dealing with.

We'd be well advised to remember that before we even consider going back in for him.

He can also remember we've given him an FA cup and UCL winners medal. :P

Whats the betting that Conte and Italy will go far in the Euros uin the summer, just to f**k up our own summer plans. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Should have just kept him and allowed him to regroup in the summer. Now he's at Man Utd and he's gona win the title in next two years.

That's not a foregone conclusion by an stretch. United's squad is in worse condition than ours, how many people in that team will actually fit into Jose's system? Not many. I don't even see him that keen on playing Rooney in midfield.

The league is the most competitive it's ever been. For once I'm glad that the circus act of Mourinho won't have to be witnessed from our side and we won't be the one having to make excuses for his deluded behavior.

He's a great man and a great manager, but he's always the main star. Everything has to be about Jose. I would have gladly kept him if he didn't drag the clubs name through the dirt, even if we only finished 16th.

Apparently we're upping our bid for Nainggolan to about £30-32m, depends on who ya believe.

This is after the player himself said he wouldnt be leaving Roma. :o

I have one hope for this summer, that theres less rumours and we just get players signed up and not havig a saga drag on for weeks and months, like Stones last year.

Although I wouldnt be surprised to see Stones go in the summer to either Manchester side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

So when's Mata coming back?

This is after the player himself said he wouldnt be leaving Roma. :o
    Taking what a player (or agent) releases to the press is somewhat naive, saying that they're happy at the club is more like 'go away and sharpen your pencil and come back to me with a better offer'.
    Like when a 'war chest' is available to a manager during the summer, just on the same day as the season tickets are made available for the next season

duploelabs wrote: »
    Taking what a player (or agent) releases to the press is somewhat naive, saying that they're happy at the club is more like 'go away and sharpen your pencil and come back to me with a better offer'.
    Like when a 'war chest' is available to a manager during the summer, just on the same day as the season tickets are made available for the next season

All our season tickets are sold out already.

Thats a good start anyway. ;)

I hope we get Bonnuci wrapped up, swap for Cuadrado. :pac:

I hope we get Bonnuci wrapped up, swap for Cuadrado. :pac:

Oscar, Cuadrado and 30m for Bonucci and Pogba. Job done. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

So when's Mata coming back?

:D actually feel bad for the guy ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

:D actually feel bad for the guy ...

I reckon there's a decent chance of resigning him. If we got Mata, Bonnucci and Morata it'd go some way to making us competitive again.

I dont think we'll go back for Mata.

If Conte wanted he could just deplot Cesc deeper and throw 2 willing CM runners next to him and have 2 wingers either side of Costa and the need for a number 10 would then be null aand void.

Remains to be seen though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Kanté has reportedly turned down a new contract. I think we need to sign either himself or N'aingolan, and if Roma are playing hardball he could provide a cheaper alternative. £25m release clause, Arsenal and PSG are interested too though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Lukker- wrote: »
    Kant has reportedly turned down a new contract. I think we need to sign either himself or N'aingolan, and if Roma are playing hardball he could provide a cheaper alternative. 25m release clause, Arsenal and PSG are interested too though.
    I could see Kante fitting in our midfield, he's a slight upgrade on Ramires so 25m would be fine imo. Remains to be seen how he fairs next season though; unlike Mahrez say he definitely has one hit wonder potential about him!

Its risky business going for Kante or Mahrez IMO.

They could be one hit wonders but that wont stop someone going for them. Leicester dont have to sell and if we go after Kante, for instance, we dont have UCL football to offer while other clubs and Leicester, can at least offer that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭JakeArmitage

Not sure if its been asked here but How do you guys feel about Jose taking over at United?

Not sure if its been asked here but How do you guys feel about Jose taking over at United?

He shouldnt have been sacked in the first place but once Conte was signed up, its all aboard the Conte coach.

Naturally I hope Jose is a failure at Utd though because theyre a rival but thats unlikely to happen.

Personally sick as a dog he will do well he is an excellent manager. In my opinion he should never have been sacked last December I am very much of the school of thought seen as he brought the PL to us just a few months before he should most certainly have been given a chance, also because our transfer dealings last summer simply could not have been more inept. Sadly we always just have a knee jerk reaction to these things and I cannot see it changing now (I will be very surprised if Tony of Lecce will be the manager at the Bridge when the 2018 season kicks off).

But it must have been obvious to anyone who bothered to look that if we sacked him the odds were very high that he would end up at United and so it transpires. Obviously he is abrasive but given the very strong foundation that is United he could be as dominant as Fergie and I can only hope he presses the self destruct button as I still cannot understand what the hell went wrong with us this season after the previous two positive ones.

I will always have a soft spot for him and grudgingly would wish him some success - well finish second in everything we are in as well :D.

• Advertisement

The Chelsea lads are doing well in the Toulon tournament if wonder if RLC and Baker will get runs next season, could do worse me thinks Baker looks very tasty indeed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement