Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Just on transfers, we were linked with Mkhitaryan (yes I Goggled the speeling) he'd be a tidy #10 but given that James is very much out of favour at Real, I'd love to go after him, although any transfer for James would be very costly.

Probably around €45m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Worrying Azpilicueta is being linked to Barcelona this morning.

Johner wrote: »

Expecting to see more of that with Alves out the door.

Any decent Spanish RB will be linked with them.

I wonder will he start at RB for Spain considering Carvajal isnt available or will they throw Bellerin in. Cant see Alba being dropped at LB so his best chance of starting is at RB.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Expecting to see more of that with Alves out the door.

Any decent Spanish RB will be linked with them.

I wonder will he start at RB for Spain considering Carvajal isnt available or will they throw Bellerin in. Cant see Alba being dropped at LB so his best chance of starting is at RB.

Probably Juanfran.

Probably Juanfran.

I actually forgot about Juanfran. :o

It'll be touch and go between Juanfran and Bellerin to start IMO.

Ifs and buts
    Incoming head coach Antonio Conte is still waiting to find out whether he will be able to bring his own goalkeeping coach to Chelsea to work with Thibaut Courtois.

Conte is growing increasingly confident that he will be able to keep Courtois at the club unless Real Madrid make a huge offer, but he knows there are issues between the Belgian and current goalkeeping coach Christophe Lollichon.

Lollichon is unlikely to be pushed out of Chelsea, as he is extremely highly rated by the club, but Conte may be able to bring somebody in to work specifically with Courtois.

Conte is thought to favour Gianluca Spinelli, the goalkeeping coach he works with for the Italian national team.

Should Courtois agree to stay at Chelsea, then number two Asmir Begovic will almost certainly leave, either permanently or loan, with the club having to sign a new deputy. Crystal Palace are among the clubs interested in Begovic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Dave is from the basque region, should be enough to put him off going there.

kev1.3s wrote: »

He did say he wants to stay around and would only considering leaving if it was to further develop him as a player.

Theres not many teams around that he could do that at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

kev1.3s wrote: »
    Loads of Basques have played for Barca over the years, doesn't mean anything if they're from a different region. In fact, there's probably a bond as Barca represent an anti-Spanish feeling within Spain.

Real is the only club where Basques would have more of a problem playing for them, and even them they've had plenty of Basque players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,781 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Rumours that Conte has asked Oscar to stay, possibly with a deeper role.

RIP Gav

Lukker- wrote: »

RIP Gav

I'm getting a Utd jersey with

Special #1 on the back. :mad:

Unless the deeper role is the 7th guy on the bench, then I'll be happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Lukker- wrote:

Makes sense, wasn't Oscar constantly linked with Juve when Conte was there?

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Tomw86

Lukker- wrote: »

RIP Gav

I honestly think this could be a good role for him. He runs alot, and can certainly tackle, so if he is discplined enough to hold his position and allow the likes of Fabregas to play further forward, I dont see it as a bad thing.

It seems Conte still wants another midfield player such as Naingollan to play in there with him too - thus freeing Fabregas to play higher up the pitch.

I'd prefer Cesc deeper than Oscar, for all Oscars physical ability compared to Cesc, he cant create anywhere near on the same level as Cesc.

Both at their best, Cesc is in a different league than Oscar too, while Cesc didnt have a great year last year he was still consistently better than Oscar.

It still annoys me we didnt sell Oscar in January as upgrades are out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

I'd prefer Cesc deeper than Oscar, for all Oscars physical ability compared to Cesc, he cant create anywhere near on the same level as Cesc.

Both at their best, Cesc is in a different league than Oscar too, while Cesc didnt have a great year last year he was still consistently better than Oscar.

It still annoys me we didnt sell Oscar in January as upgrades are out there.

I still think in a midfield 3 he could come good, but with him and Cesc making up 2 of them you'd need one hell of an enforcer in between them. If Conte were to play a genuine 3 in the middle having Oscar in the pool of 4/5 to pick from if fine imo. Fab/Matic/Oscar/RLC/Mikel would currently be the selection, if you swapped Mikel for someone better than Matic (potentially Naingolan) it wouldn't be bad, just lacking in size really.

hots wrote: »
    I still think in a midfield 3 he could come good, but with him and Cesc making up 2 of them you'd need one hell of an enforcer in between them. If Conte were to play a genuine 3 in the middle having Oscar in the pool of 4/5 to pick from if fine imo. Fab/Matic/Oscar/RLC/Mikel would currently be the selection, if you swapped Mikel for someone better than Matic (potentially Naingolan) it wouldn't be bad, just lacking in size really.

At least one of the CMs will be sold and its probably close between Mikel and Matic at this stage.

We dont know will Conte go 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1, if its the latter, we still need a dedicated #10, IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

At least one of the CMs will be sold and its probably close between Mikel and Matic at this stage.

We dont know will Conte go 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1, if its the latter, we still need a dedicated #10, IMO.

Yeah agreed, neither Oscar or Fab excel there at all. Unless Cuadrado/ANother was added and you moved Willian inside instead. Haz, Pedro, ???, Kennedy would be a good 4some for the wing.

As much as I hated watching Matic last year, selling him would make our midfield far to small to compete with some of the bigger teams imo.

hots wrote: »
    Yeah agreed, neither Oscar or Fab excel there at all. Unless Cuadrado/ANother was added and you moved Willian inside instead. Haz, Pedro, ???, Kennedy would be a good 4some for the wing.

As much as I hated watching Matic last year, selling him would make our midfield far to small to compete with some of the bigger teams imo.

We'll probably have a squad of about 20-23 for next year.

No idea who we'll keep and sell though, impossible to tell until we see some movement in and out which is looking unlikely until Conte is back which could be very late in the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,752 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

I'm not in favour of selling Matic, he's had one bad season but when he's good he's one of the best at what he does. To sell a player of that potential is madness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

afternoon gossip

Chelsea full-back Cesar Azpilicueta, 26, is a target for Barcelona following the departure of 33-year-old Dani Alves (Daily Telegraph)

Chelsea target Kalidou Koulibaly, 24, says “big clubs” want to sign him after his contract talks with Napoli stalled (L’Equipe)

New Chelsea manager Antonio Conte has told Brazilian midfielder Oscar that he wants him to stay at Stamford Bridge (Daily Express)

Torino are considering making an offer for Chelsea starlet Nathaniel Chalobah in the summer (Sky Italia)

Fenerbahce are plotting to sign Chelsea striker Loic Remy on (WTF???? SELL) loan this summer (Sabah

duploelabs wrote: »
    I'm not in favour of selling Matic, he's had one bad season but when he's good he's one of the best at what he does. To sell a player of that potential is madness

While I do agree, of all the players that were terrible and its pretty much of all them, hes the only one I can think of that didnt ever get back any sort of form.

Hazard, Cesc, Costa even Ivanovic all turned it around somewhat where as he was dislodged from the team by Mikel of all people.

I'd much prefer to sell Mikel but Matic will appeal to more teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,752 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

While I do agree, of all the players that were terrible and its pretty much of all them, hes the only one I can think of that didnt ever get back any sort of form.

Hazard, Cesc, Costa even Ivanovic all turned it around somewhat where as he was dislodged from the team by Mikel of all people.

I'd much prefer to sell Mikel but Matic will appeal to more teams.

But Obi wan is apparently an amazing AM

duploelabs wrote: »
    But Obi wan is apparently an amazing AM

Hes a better CB than most at the club according to Guus "I'll play the youths" Hiddink. :pac:

Kante please.

He was too good

He'll be attracting the attention of clubs higher up than us I'm afraid at this rate

He was too good

He'll be attracting the attention of clubs higher up than us I'm afraid at this rate

Theres plenty of clubs higher up than a middle mediocrity. :o

PSG I reckon they could sling Motta and throw him in with Veratti and Matuidi and theyed be even better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Theres plenty of clubs higher up than a middle mediocrity. :o

PSG I reckon they could sling Motta and throw him in with Veratti and Matuidi and theyed be even better.

He's stated a few times that he likes the pace of the league and that it suits him, can't see him going back to France.

Brazil out of Copa America, I think Willian is still playing in the Olympics but less games in the Copa America is a good thing.

Bonucci is pure class.

• Advertisement

Conte has this Italy team very very well drilled, impressed with them so far.

Nah, Gary Cahill is where it's at

Conte is a god.

Conte is a god.

But they're probably through already

And could easily go far

But they're probably through already

And could easily go far

Ah well, Italy winning it wouldn't be a bad thing even if means Conte is away longer.

Ah well, Italy winning it wouldn't be a bad thing even if means Conte is away longer.

In terms of the upcoming season it sort of is a bad thing

But in terms of finding out how good he is and can be for us it's nice to see them doing well in that sense

In terms of the upcoming season it sort of is a bad thing

But in terms of finding out how good he is and can be for us it's nice to see them doing well in that sense

Less time with the squad won't help but he'll still have around around a month or so. Not ideal but if Italy did win it I'd imagine the confidence around Conte would be even bigger.

We really need to sign Bonucci up, fantastic defender.

Less time with the squad won't help but he'll still have around around a month or so. Not ideal but if Italy did win it I'd imagine the confidence around Conte would be even bigger.

True, was always going to be pros and cons no matter what happens at the euros

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

The good news:

Belgium: Old Chelsea
    Conte: New Chelsea

• Advertisement

I've bigged up Lukaku a lot in the past, but he was like a donkey tonight

Nothing much from Nainggolan either so none of the Belgians we're linked with were good

No to Nainggolan in.

No to Lukaku coming back.

Glad to see De Bruyne gone.

Hazard high on endeavour, low on end product. He's not going to change the world. Sell him at top dollar if that's what we can get for him.

Hold on to Courtois.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

Did Conte have a bloody nose at one stage ?

Did Conte have a bloody nose at one stage ?
    In one sense, he may have had.

In another, not as bloody as Wilmots'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

McDave wrote: »
    No to Nainggolan in.

Hazard high on endeavour, low on end product. He's not going to change the world. Sell him at top dollar if that's what we can get for him.

Hold on to Courtois.

Basing all this on one international game is silly. Nainggolan would be an excellent addition.

Belgium have a serious inabillity to play as a team. Every player trying for a piece of magic to win it, but not willing to work towards it.

Impressed by Italy and Conte's tactics. Would certainly not mind him bringing Bonucci or Chellini either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

McDave wrote: »
    No to Nainggolan in.

Hold on to Courtois.

You've obviously done indepth scouting there...

Belgium were as they often are in international tournaments massively out coached. Wilmots hasn't a clue... They needed width to counter Contes 3atb but played KDB outwide and Feldog in the middle... madness. KDB in the middle and then either Origi or Mertens out wide and it could have been a very different game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

I have always had a serious doubt on Lukaku's big match temperament - he simply never performs when the chips are down. Blew up at the last world cup, ran away from Chelsea when he missed a peno in a prestige friendly (he could not even tolerate a banged up high profile friendly) and it now seems to be happening all over again. Everton want upwards of ST£60m for him --- yea good luck with that.

As for Conte his team was very impressive but then Belgium were clueless so lets see when they get a proper test in the knockout stages.

Italy were very good and defended well, however, they gave up about 3 or 4 chances that Belgium should have buried. Speaking from an Irish POV, we'll need to perform for 90 mins against Belgium to the standard we did in the first half yesterday and hope Belgium have an off day in front of goal again as our defending and ability to organise ourselves on the pitch is p*ss poor.

It amazes me everytime I see Fellaini play for Belgium considering all their attacking talent theyve a bruiser with decent technique playing as the attacking focus point of the central midfield, I was genuinely shocked to see Origi was as bad if not worse than Lukaku after missing those chances.

From a Chelsea POV, nobody past or present were worth talking about in a positive light.

Courtois, made 2 or 3 saves youd expect him too.
    De Bruyne pulled a Houdini and disappeared.
    Hazard huffed and puffed but couldnt make anything happen hes the most frustrating player in the world with the ball at his feet, slows everything down and doesnt drive at his opponent enough, always waiting for support.
    Lukaku, for a guy whos 6'2/3 and built like a barn and blessed with a great turn of pace, he couldnt get in behind and he couldnt hold up the ball, its not just his big game mentality, for me, hes just not a very clever footballer and that back 3 had him in their pocket pretty much all night.

Pjanic has joined Juve too, £26m.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Seems Conte's English has improved a lot so he will understand his P45 come December

http://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation.com/2016/6/14/11930774/antonio-conte-bbc-intro-chelsea-italy-belgium

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Clear Hearts

I have always had a serious doubt on Lukaku's big match temperament - he simply never performs when the chips are down. Blew up at the last world cup, ran away from Chelsea when he missed a peno in a prestige friendly (he could not even tolerate a banged up high profile friendly) and it now seems to be happening all over again. Everton want upwards of ST£60m for him --- yea good luck with that.

As for Conte his team was very impressive but then Belgium were clueless so lets see when they get a proper test in the knockout stages.

TBH Benteke is a better player, just used terrible at pool

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement