Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

BMMachine wrote: »
    will Roman want to keep investing in the club though? Hes spent a truckload already and god knows how much else on wages. I really really hope that Chelsea is proven not to work. For the fans it would be awful and I get that but having a billionaire just come in and spend a load of money (in Abramovich's case it was a way to escape Putin and the various crime syndicates he was involved with) is just reckless. Football shouldn't be built on the back of corruption and crime and a horrible feudal society (hello Sheik Mansour).

He doesn't have to. The club makes enough on its own to stand on its own 2 feet. He hasn't had to dip into his own pockets for a transfer in a few years and the club is self sufficient and in an extremely healthy position.

If you haven't noticed, football is a business, teams get bought/sold and are essentially a commodity. Investment is a part of this like it or not and part of living in a capitalist society is that someone can buy something small and build it up. It's been part and parcel of the game since clubs started becoming companies. What makes United (owned by American venture capitalists), Liverpool (American Sports Investment firm), Arsenal (Owner of Walmart) anymore organic or grassroots then any other club?

You'd swear it was a fan owned run for the good of the people type of deal rather then they are just trying to extract maximum profit from fans like everyone else.

Your whole attitude stinks tbh, an archaic fantasy of divine right. If you're that passionate about things staying the same I suggest you get involved with grass roots.

dfx- wrote: »
    Really? I think the greatest failing of this squad is that everything has been engineered towards Mourinho making it work in his own inimitable way.

If he goes I don't see anyone getting much else out of a Mourinho team given the age profile.

Yes. I don't think it's been too shoe horned at all and it it's core are highly talented players.

Age profile? 6th youngest team in the league. Terry and Ivanovic only players above 30. 1 CB, 1 CM and 1 striker away from an all out dominant side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

Lukker- wrote: »
    He doesn't have to. The club makes enough on its own to stand on its own 2 feet. He hasn't had to dip into his own pockets for a transfer in a few years and the club is self sufficient and in an extremely healthy position.

If you haven't noticed, football is a business, teams get bought/sold and are essentially a commodity. Investment is a part of this like it or not and part of living in a capitalist society is that someone can buy something small and build it up. It's been part and parcel of the game since clubs started becoming companies. What makes United (owned by American venture capitalists), Liverpool (American Sports Investment firm), Arsenal (Owner of Walmart) anymore organic or grassroots then any other club?

You'd swear it was a fan owned run for the good of the people type of deal rather then they are just trying to extract maximum profit from fans like everyone else.

Your whole attitude stinks tbh, an archaic fantasy of divine right. If you're that passionate about things staying the same I suggest you get involved with grass roots.

well the difference is they aren't owned by gangsters if you must know. I'd love to see what would happen to the wage bill if Roman left :) but anyhow, keep on believing and keep on justifying things in your head

well the difference is they aren't owned by gangsters if you must know. I'd love to see what would happen to the wage bill if Roman left :) but anyhow, keep on believing and keep on justifying things in your head

If Roman left it would be taken over by most likely an American venture capitalist or sports investment firm much like the other top clubs in England. Chelsea currently have some of the biggest revenues in the game so they would be an extremely attractive prospect for any investor.

I don't understand your whole spiel with wages. Chelsea have a smaller wage bill then United, City and Arsenal already and have a wage to revenue ratio of less then 55%, which is only a few percent off United. (Wage to revenue is the barometer for a sustainable club)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,752 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Dig deep in to the businesses of any sugar daddy owner of a football club and you're bound to find amoral dealings, just depends on how deep you dig

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

No doubt there's a fundamental crisis at Chelsea. Question is who has the vision and plan to move on.

Jose had a year to run the rule over the squad and made two significant signings at season's end - Costa and Fabregas. In the January he brought in Cuadrado but despite this went on to win the league. It wasn't a title without problems though, and in the second half of the season Jose must have known what he was going to have to solve for this season. This included major upgrades to defence and midfield, and a significant upgrade in attack.

CFC didn't deliver *anything* to him. And arguably made things worse by letting Cech go, which Mou counselled against. It's clear now we needed Stones (as Mou demanded), and that Matic needs a robust partner longside him (Mou knows midfield is unbalanced - Cesc is out of position, and Mikel too one-dimensional). We also need a second top drawer striker.

It's taken a disastrous first half of the season (yes folks, as it stands things won't turn around much until January) to confirm Jose's prognosis. Will the club accept this, and bankroll the signings they should have nailed down in July? And put up with this season going down the drain?

I see one of two scenarios unfolding:

1. Keeping Mou. Sell Hazard and one or two other fundraisers and make at least two major signings in January. These will be players who will boost the squad for the coming years, but also enable us to have a go at this season's UCL.

2. Dumping Mou. Get in Carlo for the rest of the season, and line up another manager for June. Keep funds for that manager.

The club, no doubt, has back-up managerial targets. It seems an open secret that RA originally wanted Guardiola. If so, the lines of communication can be re-opened and Pep just might bite second time around (possibly chastened himself by his Bayern experience). Simeone is also namechecked. However, his style is probably too abrasive, and given the choice Chelsea might just opt for a change in mood.

Which scenario is likeliest? The heart says keep Mou. The head says RA still has his eye on Guardiola. Why? Because if RA wanted Mou for the long haul, he would have backed Jose's extension with the players he demanded last summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Garzorico

From the Sindo: Chelsea's season is in Roman Abramovics hands not Joses.

True enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Chelsea seem to be doing a BVB09 2014/15

They will come back but will Jose do a Klopp at the end of the season?

He could do with a sabbatical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,828 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Limped over the line, helped in no small part by very good fortune on the injury front. Paying for it this season, players are wrecked and unmotivated. Bench is weak.

United and Arsenal too.

Don't care if limped over by an inch or a mile.
    Winnings win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Panthro wrote: »
    Winnings win.

And that's the Chelsea way

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Winnings win.

No doubt. But yer paying for it this season.

efb wrote: »
    And that's the Chelsea way

What does that even mean?!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Winnings win.

As the saying goes show me a good loser and I will show you a loser. Winning is really all that matters.

OK this season is a write off, first for 11 or 12 years not too bad really, future is the issue. Hope we throw in some young players now and see what happens.

As for changing manager why we have one of the best in the world, having a bad time for sure but I really hope Roman keeps his nerve. Who would replace him? Mid season no one good enough available (assuming Carlo not willing to come back) if you can keep your head .........

It will be grand just maybe not this season.

What does that even mean?!

Means in general we are winners I think but stand to be corrected.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

As the saying goes show me a good loser and I will show you a loser. Winning is really all that matters.

OK this season is a write off, first for 11 or 12 years not too bad really, future is the issue. Hope we throw in some young players now and see what happens.

As for changing manager why we have one of the best in the world, having a bad time for sure but I really hope Roman keeps his nerve. Who would replace him? Mid season no one good enough available (assuming Carlo not willing to come back) if you can keep your head .........

It will be grand just maybe not this season.

What do you think the end game is for Jose this season?

Stay or go? keep his head down or continue as is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

It's getting to the stage where I'm edgy going into bbc sport , I expect to see some headline about Mou getting sacked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

It's getting to the stage where I'm edgy going into bbc sport , I expect to see some headline about Mou getting sacked

Me too, I don't think I want him to go but he seriously needs to get his shît together.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

There's no alternative nearly as good.

Surely the last decade taught Roman that if he wants stability, then sooner or later he has to give a manager patience, time and te backing to work through a lean spell.

If he's not going to give Jose that chance, then who?

Sacking him, though hilarious and entertaining, would make no sense for Chelsea.

gosplan wrote: »
    There's no alternative nearly as good.

Surely the last decade taught Roman that if he wants stability, then sooner or later he has to give a manager patience, time and te backing to work through a lean spell.

If he's not going to give Jose that chance, then who?

Sacking him, though hilarious and entertaining, would make no sense for Chelsea.

Stability for stability's sake is pointless.

Chelsea have learned that with AVB and Scolari, who they both stuck with almost too long and it could have cost us dear in AVB's case if we hadn't gone on to win the CL because we almost acted too late.

One thing is Mourinho doesn't really bring stability either. Week in week out it's something else and IMO that's the biggest destabilizer of all. I'm not advocating sacking him either but I trust the board to make the right decision. They'll know far more then us and IMO it'll come down to the players, whether they themselves ultimately want him to stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

If Mourinho has lost the dressing room, there's no point in keeping him. He publicly humiliated Carneiro, a very well liked person in football, and I would imagine especially so in Chelsea, just for doing her job. She's since left and that can't have gone down well with the players. They don't appear motivated anymore and I can't see how Mourinho's weekly antics drawing more negative publicity will change that.

Gary Neville telling it like it is:

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/29326/10044017/neville-talks-mourinho-troubles

I have to say I totally agree with this. There is too much of a media circus after every match and it has to stop before we can actually move forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,765 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Not a Chelsea fan, but it looks to this outsider that Jose himself wants out. He clearly is not happy.

He didn't get the players he wanted in the summer, it seems like Pedro was a last minute deal which I doubt he was too bothered about either way.

So we have a manager that looks uninterested and seems to want out (and the payoff that comes with it). This also follows his previous jobs where 3 years seems to be his timefame.
    We have the club who would prefer not to have to pay out and also aware the Jose is, based on CV, the best manager out there. The problem they face is that while the CV may say that the current form (which can be traced back to the end of last season) says that he is not operating at the highest level.

One big reason to keep him is that he clearly has the skills, and given the paucity of the other teams, any sort of consistent results would see Chelsea move quickly up the table. Utd v City yesterday, and the results in CL and Europa show again that the EPL this year (and I would argue last year) is well down on quality and any sort of decent team can do well. Maybe not the title for 4th place is still well within range. Arsenal will have their wobbles, Utd are on the whole fairly rubbish and City, well you never know with them. Spurs, Pool, Everton??? Not difficult to see them dropping away (they are not exactly flying as it is.)

Everything does not always happen as planned, how a side that won the league with ease is now so poor really is an interesting question. There is certainly a severe lack of confidence at all levels at Chelsea that much is obvious, but the question why still remains we should have been gung ho going into this season but it appears to me everyone associated with the club has made cock ups which has induced nearly the perfect storm.
    For example

Transfer window was an absolute disaster, the areas where we needed strengthening were clear and obvious yet we failed to land a single target.
    Pre season another absolute disaster, we got outplayed by New York Red Bulls reserves for Gods sake. Now you can lose matches as you ramp up but we had little or no time together before that match. The games against Barca and whoever that we won on penos glossed over this but their league started after ours so they should have been behind in fitness and work.
    The medicalteamgate another disaster a simple apology would have calmed those waters. I really think this is the most decisive aspect which has led to a split and coming on top of everything else has produced the perfect storm.

Funnily enough changing manager could actually help solve this but I do think we have one of the best managers in the world as it stands. Thing is he is stubborn and whilst that is a huge positive when things are going right it's not when they are going wrong. I hope everyone holds their nerve as this too shall pass. But Jose needs to look himself in the mirror and show a little humility for the sake of the team, if that does not happen I fear he won't see Chirstmas as our manager.

I wonder if Pep is dropping hints that he is coming to Chelsea next season, after all it is either us or Arsenal if he is going to manage in London and if Wengers good fortune continues he might be hard to sack at the end of the season. All adds to the pressure at the Bridge.

I have written this season off we might win a cup but we won't win one of the two majors but sure will be interesting to see what happens.

• Advertisement

Lukker- wrote: »
    Gary Neville telling it like it is:

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/29326/10044017/neville-talks-mourinho-troubles

I have to say I totally agree with this. There is too much of a media circus after every match and it has to stop before we can actually move forward.

Was gonna say this.

West Ham have beaten City and Arsenal already this year with a mix of pace, power and resolute defending.

But when they beat Chelsea, it's accompanied by coach and manager being sent off, a media blackout and players booked for protesting.

I know it's a combination of deflection and being a bad loser but at some stage Jose needs to start saying 'we deserved to lose today'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

The next month of fixtures are crucial for Jose... and they are quite a difficult run of fixtures too.

Stoke (A) LC
    Liverpool (H) PL
    Dynamo (H) UCL
    Stoke (A) PL

That sees us up to the international break on November 7th, where it would be ideal timing to get rid of your manager as you have the 2 weeks to get a new one, basically what Liverpool did at the last international break. I suspect that if we lose either of the league games and don't beat Dynamo then Jose is gone at this point.

After the international break sees a nice set of fixtures up til December 28th when we go to Old Trafford, but it's either the perfect chance for Jose to push on and build on (hopefully) good results before the international break... or it's going to be ideal for a new manager coming in.

Norwich (H) PL
    Maccabi (A) UCL
    Spurs (A) PL
    Bournemouth (H) PL
    Porto (H) UCL
    Leicester (A) PL
    Watford (H) PL
    Sunderland (H) PL
    Man Utd (A) PL

I suppose what I'm forecasting is that if we can sort ourselves out before the international break and even just grind out results in the next 3-4 games, then we will be okay, and by Christmas I'd fully expect us to be back nearer the top than the bottom of the league.

So what about that rumour that Mourinho tried to get into the refs dressing room ? - twaddle yeah ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

So what about that rumour that Mourinho tried to get into the refs dressing room ? - twaddle yeah ?

He was invited into the ref's room to be told he would have to go to the stand for the 2nd half. Whatever incident took place happened in the tunnel it seems

Can anyone confirm if the goal was offside or not ?

• Advertisement

kev1.3s wrote: »

Doesn't really make a difference tbh.

Things will go for and against you but you have to deal with it.

Ara sure, we might do an aul trade.
    Is young Silva any good?
    Could make a few Bob handy enough!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

kev1.3s wrote: »
    Looking at the replays over the weekend, it was. Just. A kneecap, maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

blueser wrote: »
    Looking at the replays over the weekend, it was. Just. A kneecap, maybe.

One of those a lot of fans would whinge about either way if it went against their team, as you say though, cold light of day, probably was just off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

One of those a lot of fans would whinge about either way if it went against their team, as you say though, cold light of day, probably was just off.
    Isn't that what fans do? Unless the margin is 10 yards, we'll always whinge about offsides that go against our teams. And we ignore the (odd) ones that go in our favour.
    ;)

I think that given he had just disallowed a goal that there was a little bit of doubt he was a little harsh to send Matic off so soon after for a in my opinion soft second yellow. That's not to offer any defence for jose's actions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,216 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Matic knew exactly what he was doing, and should not have been so stupid, it was only 8 or 9 minutes since his booking!

His initial booking was really stupid from him, no need for it and the sending off was possibly worse considering he has just been booked

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Unhinged!!

Refusing to leave ref's dressing room, swearing at the ref and for some reason going on about Wenger!

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/oct/26/chelsea-jose-mourinho-charged-fa-misconduct-west-ham

Not condoning what he did bit given the circumstances I stern word to tell him to calm down would have been reasonable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Unhinged!!

Refusing to leave ref's dressing room, swearing at the ref and for some reason going on about Wenger!

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/oct/26/chelsea-jose-mourinho-charged-fa-misconduct-west-ham

I would find it more difficult to understand Jose's obsession with Wenger / Arsenal, were it not for that obsession albeit in reverse being played out on this thread on a near hourly basis, it is fascinating.

Unhinged!!

A suggestion that he mentioned Wenger is hardly concrete evidence that he was going on about Wenger at all. Good to see balance is still dead and buried with the mock outrage brigade.

Unhinged!!

What the fúck is wrong with the guy ?

Why is he OBSESSED with Wenger ? - is his superior H2H record v Wenger not good enough ?

Does he envy that he could stay at a club for eleventy odd years ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,216 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Its more that he feels the need to take swipes at him so often, pretty small and petty. He doesnt need to do it yet he cant help himself

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭johnny osbourne

jose sabotage chelsea

A suggestion that he mentioned Wenger is hardly concrete evidence that he was going on about Wenger at all. Good to see balance is still dead and buried with the mock outrage brigade.

No, it's just a suggestion, which we can comment about.

Don't think anyone's outraged though. That's your standard comeback for Costa/train racism and stuff like that.

Now, we're more perplexed or amused.

I would find it more difficult to understand Jose's obsession with Wenger / Arsenal, were it not for that obsession albeit in reverse being played out on this thread on a near hourly basis, it is fascinating.

So he's at a boards soccer forum level? Yikes!

Though he'd be great craic in a match thread in fairness.

No, it's just a suggestion, which we can comment about.

Don't think anyone's outraged though. That's your standard comeback for Costa/train racism and stuff like that.

Now, we're more perplexed or amused.

Yes standard reply to standard anti Chelsea post glad you can see the pattern

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

That was a great weekend, multiple bans and a loss and the auld fella is a West Ham fan. :pac:

At least I only seen 45mins of the game. Hard really to suggest whats up or what has to be done to fix it being honest.

The glaring issue is the defending of any set piece or long ball into the box, we've shipped I think 19 goals and 6 of those have been headers, Jose was blabbing on about needing a minimum of 5 or 6 tall players to combat this but what do you do when you;ve got those players in place and you still leave in goals?

I missed the Fabregas goal but thats a border line call, some you get, some you dont and at the moment we're not getting those 50/50 calls, hell, we're not even getting the blatant ones :o

We had one cleared off the line and we played the entire 2nd half with 10 men, a point would have been a good result for us but it wasnt to be, the sending off is justified, both bookings are pretty cynical fouls by Matic.

So where do we go from him, another week and set of games pass where we say next time we'll kick on, its nearly November and we've still not had a consistent run of wins in the league, if it doesnt start soon the best we can hope for is to finish outside of the Europa league places, liek Utd, keep Jose and build for next year. If we do miss the top 4 thats what I'd want anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

But will Jose want to stay if we can't give him our full backing in the transfer market? We needed a proven cf, dmf and CB. We procured none of the above. I know the players aren't necessarily on the market but the funds are available to turn any clubs head.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement