Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Why_oh_why wrote: »
    What did we sign him for??

£10m sounds like great business.

Think it was about 8m we signed him for.

Any profit would be welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Why_oh_why

Not as big a profit as I first thought, you wouldn't have thought he's done anything to increase his worth but hey thats modern football for you.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Begovic was good at Stoke but he was hopeless with us for the most part. I'd say the lack of consistent game time affected him greatly. For some keepers, game time is massively important and Begovic seems to be one of those.

I don't like to see good players fade away because they're backup to a guaranteed starter and GKs are least likely to get game time due to an injury.

I'm expecting Conte to re-focus our defence so that we won't be exposing whoever is our GK (Tbo obvs, unless injured), so I'd expect any half-decent back-up to see us through if Tbo is injured or succumbs to another urge to fly-kick a striker who's through on goal.

hope we see some changes today, this is what I'd like.

Blackman
    Aina Miazga Hector Rahman
    Cuadrado RLC Cesc Kenedy
    Batsuhyi Remy

GavRedKing wrote: »
    hope we see some changes today, this is what I'd like.

Blackman
    Aina Miazga Hector Rahman
    Cuadrado RLC Cesc Kenedy
    Batsuhyi Remy

Getting ready for life without Costa already eh Gav?

Getting ready for life without Costa already eh Gav?

Era he started the last day, Conte knows what to expect from him, might as well try 2 proper CFs, RLC was pushed on very high against Rapid and he and Costa were pretty poor, although RLC was much worse than Costa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Begovic was good at Stoke but he was hopeless with us for the most part. I'd say the lack of consistent game time affected him greatly. For some keepers, game time is massively important and Begovic seems to be one of those.

Extremely harsh I remember him often being touted as our best performer earlier in the season last year when TBO was out

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

It's not harsh at all sure he could have been our best player all season and still be hopeless. He had the odd decent game but the majority of his performances were poor as against how capable he was for Stoke.

He is one of those players who doesn't suit being backup because his game drops so drastically. It would be unfair on him to keep him benched in the circumstances but he's nowhere near Courtois so moving clubs is the only option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

• Advertisement

peteeeed wrote: »

Subs: Blackman, Delac, Miazga, Hector, Chalobah, Baba Rahman, Mikel, Cuevas, Kenedy, Loftus-Cheek, Atsu, Remy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

I'm liking the look of the team in the first half. Willian and Moses are playing very well. Ivanovic needs to be brought out the back and shot though.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Michy Batshuayi on for Costa....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Like the look of Michy so far. Very quick, seems comfortable on the ball and good with both feet. Looks like a great supporting striker option.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Great goal by Chalobah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

3 home grown goals after all the transfer hype.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

Nice result and decent performance. We still need 2 or 3 more players but we have the foundations of a solid team there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Much better performance...

Aina > Baba; Moses > Willian (was a Willian of 2 seasons ago performance). Good to see Matic getting around the pitch again. Costa definitely isn't used to having someone beside him, spent most of the first half hugging Traore but that'll come. Batshuayi is very interesting, himself and RLC in the second half added a nice bit of height and athleticism. RLC spreading some lovely passes around and actually looked quick a couple of time.

Enjoyable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Read an article in the Times that Conte has been most impressed by RLC, and that he previously wanted to sign another CM but is now content with his options.

Look it lads you can't read much at all into pre season. Am I correct in saying there was a pre season where we lost every game and then won the title? And Moses was our best player this time last year too!

Look it lads you can't read much at all into pre season. Am I correct in saying there was a pre season where we lost every game and then won the title? And Moses was our best player this time last year too!

Jesus I'm talking absolute shiite haha just looked back and not once did we ever lose all pre season games as far as I can see

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Moses is always our best player in pre-season.

We lost nearly every game last year, and we didn't win the title.

I think right now, it's not really about the result, but more to do with Conte getting a feel for the group, and the players learning the new system. 4-2-4 is a pretty radical change for what we've playing for the last few years.

Jesus I'm talking absolute shiite haha just looked back and not once did we ever lose all pre season games as far as I can see

we had a crap pre season last year then a crap season :)

I'm enjoying pre-season anyway so far, Conte is giving the younger guys some minutes and we should have everyone up to speed before we jet off to America for the champions cup thing where I think we're playing Liverpool, AC Milan and Real Madrid.

I think the travelling party to that will be vastly different as we'll have all our Euro players back and some of the youngsters will be culled from the squad.

One would hope a few of the established players would be culled as well. Only PL next year so the squad need not be as big.

If the pre season is the place for youngsters to impress Conte a few are stepping up to the mark.

Ania looks a fine player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

The £65m figure being thrown about for Morata is absolutely crazy. He still looks very raw to me, there is the makings of a top class striker there but that is mad money for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

One would hope a few of the established players would be culled as well. Only PL next year so the squad need not be as big.

If the pre season is the place for youngsters to impress Conte a few are stepping up to the mark.

Aina looks unreal so far, very happy with him. Add on the home-grown value to him too and that new contract looks like great business.

Johner wrote: »
    The £65m figure being thrown about for Morata is absolutely crazy. He still looks very raw to me, there is the makings of a top class striker there but that is mad money for him.

Same figure is being banded about for Lukaku.

Not sure who I'd prefer, probably Morata.

hots wrote: »
    Aina looks unreal so far, very happy with him. Add on the home-grown value to him too and that new contract looks like great business.

Ya, Aina was long touted for being a 1st team regular, I just hope he can provide the back four with ample cover and oush for a start at RB.

Well we've 25 squiad places up for grabs.

17 places max, for Johnny Foreginer
    8 places for HG players over 21

We can register an unlimited amount of U21s.

Guessing the the above is difficult but can be done

17 non-HG players

Courtois, Begovic or Lopez - 2
    Ivanovic, Zouma, Azp, Rahman - 4
    Kante Matic Mikel - 3
    Pedro, Willian, Hazard, Oscar, Cuadrado - 5
    Costa, Remy, Batsuhyi - 3

Total - 17 players

8 HG over 21 players (that might be kept on)

Terry, Cahill, Cesc, Moses, Blackman, Hector

U21 (notable) players not needed to be registered

Miazga, Kenedy, Traore

So, our non-HG squad is pretty much full up at the moment but theres every chance that guys like Mikel, Matic, Cuadrado, Remy will be sold and IMO, we still need a CB in there, next year, the 3 U21s that werent registered, will have to be given spaces so its starting to get tight for non-HG players, we need some English/HG talent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

'Every manager has their own idea about a system of play. In this system, with two midfielders, Ruben can play close to the other forward but become a forward when we have the ball,' Conte told the club's official website.

So that's the forward line sorted! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Well we've 25 squiad places up for grabs.

17 places max, for Johnny Foreginer
    8 places for HG players over 21

We can register an unlimited amount of U21s.

Guessing the the above is difficult but can be done

17 non-HG players

Courtois, Begovic or Lopez - 2
    Ivanovic, Zouma, Azp, Rahman - 4
    Kante Matic Mikel - 3
    Pedro, Willian, Hazard, Oscar, Cuadrado - 5
    Costa, Remy, Batsuhyi - 3

Total - 17 players

8 HG over 21 players (that might be kept on)

Terry, Cahill, Cesc, Moses, Blackman, Hector

U21 (notable) players not needed to be registered

Miazga, Kenedy, Traore

So, our non-HG squad is pretty much full up at the moment but theres every chance that guys like Mikel, Matic, Cuadrado, Remy will be sold and IMO, we still need a CB in there, next year, the 3 U21s that werent registered, will have to be given spaces so its starting to get tight for non-HG players, we need some English/HG talent.

Begovic actually is home grown, which makes selling him a little worse unless we buy Butland as back up :pac:

Sure isn't Carlo back at Chelsea.
    He'll pop between the sticks if we need him!

Begovic actually is home grown, which makes selling him a little worse unless we buy Butland as back up :pac:

S**t he is, forgot that from last year.

Sell courtois so. :o

Panthro wrote: »
    'Every manager has their own idea about a system of play. In this system, with two midfielders, Ruben can play close to the other forward but become a forward when we have the ball,' Conte told the club's official website.

So that's the forward line sorted! :D

Sounds like a 4-3-3 type syste, when we dont have it and 4-2-4 when we do.

Either way, RLC isnt a CF. :pac:

so this is nike? roma's new away kit

28.jpg

peteeeed wrote: »
    so this is nike? roma's new away kit

28.jpg

Sponsor-less it looks beautiful, throw a giant Yokohama font on it and it starts to look like every other kit unfortunately.

Although, I dont care who makes our kit as long as we get plenty of £££££

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

I think Jose has too much respect for the fans to be caught with Chelsea and Conte.....at first anyway.

I always had the impression Jose wasn't particularly enamoured of his second coming. He was prepared to give it a go, but ultimately to take it or leave it. The 'Special One' uniqueness and media circus has got a bit tired. He'll need to reinvent himself in a big way at MU. Otherwise he'll turn into a curmedgeon.

Being honest, I've moved on from Jose completely. Big love for Jose I. Thanks for making a go of it 2nd time round. But at this stage I don't think he can count much on the loyalty buy-in like he did before. Diminishing returns. He's too close to being a gun for hire now.

On Conte, time will tell. But I think we've pulled off a coup which will take us in a new direction. Hopefully at least three years of success. With a system for following on if he/we want a change.

We beat a local side 8-0 and Mikel scored. :pac:

Remy (3)
    Batshuayi (2)
    Pedro (2)
    Mikel

• Advertisement

Its official I'm excited for this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

With a bit a luck.
    Weed out any lazy bad eggs good and early and give the workers a spot in the team.

I'm excited but theres not as much expectation as there was this time last year where we were defending champions but failed to bring in anyone of note to help the title defence. I explained many, many, many times that defending a title is nearly impossible in this league and its something Leicester wont do this year so we'll have a new champion, I'm 100% certain of that.

Will it be Chelsea, well I dont think it will be but it will be better than last years 10th position finish and thats at the very least a start, I wouldnt expect Conte to waltz in, weave his magic and win a league in his first year, given theres 5 or 6 top class managers in the league with good squads also its a huge ask for him to have success in his first year.

I'll be hapy as long as we're set on the right track, a top 6 finish should be the minimum aim, top 4 would be great and anything higher than 4th would be amazing.

I will say though, look at Leicester winning the league playing about 42 games in all competitions last year, Liverpool nearly done it in 2013/14 with a similar amount of games, so theres a slight chance with the extra rest days it could play in our favour but Liverpool have no European football this year either, not that I fear Liverpool but its an advantage to have over your rivals if you're playing them 72 hours after they were off in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

I am not sure Mourinho will take the Thursday night league that seriously - at least away from home but time will tell I guess. Top 4 for me next season will be Chelsea, United, Spurs and either Liverpool or City who wins it is anyones guess (that said I reckoned City and Chelsea for top 2 last season so what do I know???) the wild card could well be the 'Appy 'Ammers.

Spurs for me have become a very dirty team but there is a resolve there now that was never there before. Excellent keeper and a striker who has performed for 2 seasons now so has shown to be no one season wonder. Can't see them winning it but could well keep the CL space a lot will depend on what the CL takes out of them.

Just by replacing LvG with Mourinho has made United stronger and Ibra will be a handful still a top pro. They will go very close.

We seem to be going about our business well, we need a defender and sooner rather than later. I do think Aina will play a part this year and Todd Kane might as well shame about the his and Happy's injury. We will be much better served next season with Ake and Christensen back (was surprised Ake went on loan again) but if we hold onto Costa and Solanke a defender or two and we are well set. A big problem for us is will it take Tony of Lecce time to find his feet in the PL?

I think City will edge the final 4th spot but I do think Kloop knows his stuff and he has had his getting to know period. City fell away last season but how much could be attributed to coaches leaving etc is hard to say was there real focus outside of the CL?

So far Arsenal have not really bought what they need and time is moving on, even though they got second last season this could be the year they fall out of the top 4 (and their record of qualification is fantastic).

So wild guess based more on hope than expectation next season the finish will be

1 Chelsea
    2 United
    3 Spurs
    4 City
    5 Liverpool
    6 Arsenal
    7 West Ham
    11 Leicester (beating our "record" of worse defence ever :D)

• Advertisement

One thing you never do is write off Arsenal as a top 4 side and also, never bet on Spurs to last the course, theyre serious bottlers and it showed last year, not just our game at the Bridge but that run in was an insight into how not to handle pressure at the end of the season.

Top 4 will be Utd, City, Arsenal Chelsea, if I was guessing right now, could all change with 5 weeks left in the transfer window.

Schurrle has gone to dortmund

Got the new jersey from shoot, the quality is great and the sizing is the same. Very happy with it.

Johner wrote: »
    Got the new jersey from shoot, the quality is great and the sizing is the same. Very happy with it.

I've to order it myself actually. :o

I'll wait until we sign Messi though.

WE've been linked with Cavani again, if it was 3 years ago I'd have said ya, but considering PSG lost Ibra, they wont be getting rid of Cavani anytime soon.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement