Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Matic is meant to be staying, according to Di Marzio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

I'm happy with that he seems to be the most reliable for transfers anyway.

I feel matic at his best is a fantastic player. hopefully conte will give him confidence.

think selling him would've been a mistake.

I'm happy with that he seems to be the most reliable for transfers anyway.

I feel matic at his best is a fantastic player. hopefully conte will give him confidence.

think selling him would've been a mistake.

Ya, Matic at his best is one of the best, if not, the best holding CMs in the league.

If he gets back to that level, coupled with Kante and Cesc, we'll have a near perfect core, well, except our back line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

no red or brown sauce or fizzy drinks at the training ground ,Post-match pizzas permitted by former managers banned ???? no wonder we cant sign anyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

I'm feeling quite worried that we don't seem to be in the market for any defenders other than Koulibaly. We really need one or two full backs as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

I'm feeling quite worried that we don't seem to be in the market for any defenders other than Koulibaly. We really need one or two full backs as well.

There is little point I fear of trying to make sense of our transfer policy over the past two years. I think it led directly to Joses sacking last season I just hope the Gods are smiling on ToL.

Well hopefully we'll know where we stand with Napoli shortly and I'm assuming that it will be that Koulibaily wil be signing a contract extension with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

It's all gone tits up. Damn defence.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

€45.5m bid for Koulibaly....and it's rejected.

Napoli holding out for £50m, hopefully we can meet in the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Why_oh_why

Just give them the extra few million, get it done and move on.

Like Stones last year fudging over the last few million when it makes no difference in the grand scheme of things

Lukker- wrote: »
    €45.5m bid for Koulibaly....and it's rejected.

Napoli holding out for £50m, hopefully we can meet in the middle.

I've no idea what hes worth being honest, I'd guess its not half that but this is the market we're working in.

Napoli hold all the cars anyway and IMO, he'll sign an extension with Napoli and we're being led up the garden path, which as others have pointed out, is worrying because it looks like we're in for no other CB or defender for that matter.

Our options currently are : Aina, Ivan, Azp, Cahill, JT, Zouma, Hector, Miazga.

Which is only 5 fit defenders, Zoumas injured and Miazga is set for a loan so we're one injury away from a full on meltdown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

I actually think this is one where we will eventually get our man, don't know much about him and would have liked to go for mustafi but that one seems wrapped up for arsenal.

kev1.3s wrote: »
    I actually think this is one where we will eventually get our man, don't know much about him and would have liked to go for mustafi but that one seems wrapped up for arsenal.

If not, we're stuck with a back line that was so bad last year it wasnt even funny, it got worse under Hiddink but we were scoring more goals.

If there isnt at least 2 defenders brought in, we'll be doomed to fail before a ball is kicked.

I'm expecting Conte, whos got his first EPL pree conference at 1pm, to be grilled about the defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,752 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Our options currently are : Aina, Ivan, Azp, Cahill, JT, Zouma, Hector, Miazga.

Which is only 5 fit defenders, Zoumas injured and Miazga is set for a loan so we're one injury away from a full on meltdown.

Realistically, only Aina, Dave, JT and Zouma are anywhere near good enough to feature in the back four at this stage.

I don't have 100% faith in Courtois because of his curious at best, laughable at worst decision-making. He needs to improve on that and gain some consistency and STOP BLOODY TAKING OUT STRIKERS outside the box.

I'm assuming we are going to start the season 4-3-2-1 with the 3 being Kanté, Cesc and Matic. I think Matic might be done with CFC so I'm not expecting him back in form, which probably means RLC in for him. So the defence only have Kanté to protect them realistically because Cesc only tackles when he feels like it and RLC gets carded every time he takes someone on (rightly or wrongly.)

The overall standard of the league has improved and the mid-tablers have upped the ante in a big way with some quality players and we all know about the supposed quality of the managers in the league now - you can now say every club has at least a decent manager since Newcastle got relegated.

It will be tough to get top four and that has to be the bare minimum for ToL, you'd think.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ronsgonawin

http://dailym.ai/2bcu36l

Would love to see him go. Half a season he was good but other than that complete rubbish.

• Advertisement

http://dailym.ai/2bcu36l

Would love to see him go. Half a season he was good but other than that complete rubbish.

No: with Cesc he's always only worth 3/4 of a season at best. Everyone was poor by any standards last season and to chuck the baby out with the bathwater would be foolish. Which also extends to Matic, we know his potential, we know he can be one of the best DMs in the world, it wasn't working with Jose last season so hopefully Conte can turn that around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Johner wrote: »

It's all gone tits up. Damn defence.

Really interesting, up front and to the point.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

duploelabs wrote: »
    No: with Cesc he's always only worth 3/4 of a season at best. Everyone was poor by any standards last season and to chuck the baby out with the bathwater would be foolish. Which also extends to Matic, we know his potential, we know he can be one of the best DMs in the world, it wasn't working with Jose last season so hopefully Conte can turn that around

But Chelsea didn't get 3/4 of a season out of him! Barely even half.

But Chelsea didn't get 3/4 of a season out of him! Barely even half.

We didn't get any season out of any of our players (maybe bar willian) that's my point.

Cesc is still our best CM/CAM.

Oscar isnt fit to laces Cesc boots, if Juve want either, I'd be selling Oscar for 30m befoire I'd leve Cesc leave for 60m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

If not, we're stuck with a back line that was so bad last year it wasnt even funny, it got worse under Hiddink but we were scoring more goals.

If there isnt at least 2 defenders brought in, we'll be doomed to fail before a ball is kicked.

I'm expecting Conte, whos got his first EPL pree conference at 1pm, to be grilled about the defence.

I couldn't agree more, I have absolutely no interest in bring back lukaku and until I heard traore had been loaned out I taught we were more than well serviced in that position. I'm happy with our midfield options also but watching Pizarro waltz through our defence really set alarm bells ringing (if there weren't already) for the new season.
    A lot of pundits have been tipping Chelsea for the title this week and I can't really see why we couldn't if hazard really turns up and the defence gets sorted but if we go in with that defence we will struggle for top 4

• Advertisement

duploelabs wrote: »
    We didn't get any season out of any of our players (maybe bar willian) that's my point.

Your point was fab is good for 3\4 of a season, my point is when has that ever happened?

Your point was fab is good for 3\4 of a season, my point is when has that ever happened?

Couple of times for Arsenal and in our title winning season he was exceptional for the entire campaign.

Cesc is still our best CM/CAM.

Oscar isnt fit to laces Cesc boots, if Juve want either, I'd be selling Oscar for 30m befoire I'd leve Cesc leave for 60m.

Matic, kante, hazard, William even rlc are better midfielders. You have to think or how Chelsea will line up this season. If it's a 2 man midfield kante and Matic all day 3 man Matic kante and for me rlc but could be oscar, fab slows everything down too much.

If it's 4-1-4-1, he might fit in that but again slows down play too much. And I would prefer rlc in front of him

kev1.3s wrote: »
    I couldn't agree more, I have absolutely no interest in bring back lukaku and until I heard traore had been loaned out I taught we were more than well serviced in that position. I'm happy with our midfield options also but watching Pizarro waltz through our defence really set alarm bells ringing (if there weren't already) for the new season.
    A lot of pundits have been tipping Chelsea for the title this week and I can't really see why we couldn't if hazard really turns up and the defence gets sorted but if we go in with that defence we will struggle for top 4

We'll not win the league and thats even if we added someone like Varane and Lukaku, squad has too much to do to re-build to a title winning side.

Anyone saying we'll win the league is basing it on Hazard and Co. magically finding form that wasnt there for the best part of a year, its not that easy to put together a run of form to push us to the title, let alone a top 4 finish.

Conte will want us to finish as high as possible but he'll know it wont be no easy or simple fix.

Couple of times for Arsenal and in our title winning season he was exceptional for the entire campaign.

Our title campaign he was good til Christmas that was it. I thought that was common knowledge. Maybe watch that season again

• Advertisement

Matic, kante, hazard, William even rlc are better midfielders. You have to think or how Chelsea will line up this season. If it's a 2 man midfield kante and Matic all day 3 man Matic kante and for me rlc but could be oscar, fab slows everything down too much.

If it's 4-1-4-1, he might fit in that but again slows down play too much. And I would prefer rlc in front of him

None of those players can create chances like Cesc, so for me its Cesc and Kante or nobody else. Playing Kante and Matic is like playing Mikel and Matic.

In fact, Matic was probably our worse player last year, himself and Ivan are fighting for that crown from last years disaster so he shouldnt even be starting, barring an injuries/suspensions.

Our title campaign he was good til Christmas that was it. I thought that was common knowledge. Maybe watch that season again

His goals and assists after xmas that pushed us towqards the title dont count so nah? :pac:

conte press conf
    Conte: 'The expectations for all the teams are very high, and also for Chelsea

'It's important not to forget last season, but it's also important to think to the present and to build a good future

the market is 'crazy' and we must be patient to 'find the right solutions and improve the squad

players have shown him great commitment every day and he is very happy to work with them

'It's a very tough league. There are many great clubs who can fight to win the title

the league will be a 'great battle'. He says he and his players are excited: 'We are ready'.

'I bring my experience as a former player. A manager must try and improve the players in different aspects

the habit of playing music before a game in the dressing room is new to him and one he really likes

asked which music he would choose before a game: 'Discotheque. Boom boom!'

on looking relaxed, smiles: 'I'm not! It's the first time I have managed a new team in a new league in a new country.

'We are working on a new idea of football. The team lost their confidence a bit in the last season. We are working on this.'

his approach in the dressing room can change depending on the situation. He adds his experience as a player helps him

'I had these situations and so you know the right time to go strong or soft or in a good way

'The transfer market is a bit crazy. When you try to buy a player the cost is very expensive and not the real evalution

'In my past I played with 4 or 3 defenders. It's important for the coach to understand the right fit for the team.

he has used different systems for the different teams he has managed, and he is never afraid to adapt.

'We've found 2 different tactical solutions. In the future it can change. I hope to very quickly find the right fit.

he prefers to discuss possible transfers with the club and not the media.

'I speak a lot with all of my players. Usually when you arrive at a new club it's important to get to know all the players.

'It's important to speak with them, to understand, and to listen to why last season was so bad.

'Nemanja is an important player for me. He knows this. There isn't a problem with him. Nemanja is a Chelsea player.'

Bertrand Traore will go on loan to Ajax: 'He's a good player and we prefer he plays every game this season.'

The match will be very tough. We face a strong team. They have a good manager, a squad with physical, fast, talented players

'It's a derby and we know these games are very tough, but we want to play, start the season and give satisfaction to our fans.'

'It's the first time for me for everything. To start with a derby is tough. I am excited. My players must have the right will.'

His goals and assists after xmas that pushed us towqards the title dont count so nah? :pac:

http://dailym.ai/1Ahpqsx

2 assists after Christmas!

As I said common knowledge.

http://dailym.ai/1Ahpqsx

2 assists after Christmas!

As I said common knowledge.

Did you even read the link? That was up until 2nd March 2015 after the PSG game, there was 2 months of the season left at that stage. :rolleyes:

Did you even read the link? That was up until 2nd March 2015 after the PSG game, there was 2 months of the season left at that stage. :rolleyes:

I did, and his previous assist was 17 Jan. The sats are from the 1St and 2nd half of each season. he had 18 epl assist that year. 15 before 3 after. Whoops I missed 1. I Said he had one good half to a season and I was right. Should I use a roll eyes now. Seems to be cool

I did, and his previous assist was 17 Jan. The sats are from the 1St and 2nd half of each season. he had 18 epl assist that year. 15 before 3 after. Whoops I missed 1. I Said he had one good half to a season and I was right. Should I use a roll eyes now. Seems to be cool

You can use them alright, would still make your argument pretty pointless. If youre judging everyone purely on stats then Hazard shouldnt play for the club ever again after his season last year, might as well throw Costa on to that pile too.

Those 3 were meant to be "the rats" that got Jose sacked, even though it was clear as day it was more likely Costa and or Hazard that acted up, in fact Cesc was the only midfielder other than Willian to have any sort of positive impact last year.

Couple that with his consistency to perform at an exceptional level since he was about 16 means, for me, hes clearly our best CM and not starting him, unless hes injured or suspended takes away the teams most creative threat.

Cesc did have a magic hat and the best sending off of the season as well at that stage

Chelsea that season were 2 different teams, before xmas and after xmas. He was obviously going to have far more output in the first half when Chelsea were playing expansive flowing football and he was given license to express himself. Costa dropped off in the second half of that season with niggling injuries and form issues, Fabregas had no one to supply the assists to for a good portion of that second half of the season. His contribution was still vital as his role from providing assists to controlling the tempo of the game. Stats never tell the full story.

• Advertisement

You can use them alright, would still make your argument pretty pointless. If youre judging everyone purely on stats then Hazard shouldnt play for the club ever again after his season last year, might as well throw Costa on to that pile too.

Those 3 were meant to be "the rats" that got Jose sacked, even though it was clear as day it was more likely Costa and or Hazard that acted up, in fact Cesc was the only midfielder other than Willian to have any sort of positive impact last year.

Couple that with his consistency to perform at an exceptional level since he was about 16 means, for me, hes clearly our best CM and not starting him, unless hes injured or suspended takes away the teams most creative threat.

How is it pointless. I Said he had 1 good half season was i wrong? No.

What he did at other clubs is pointless. Getting older and not better

Chelsea that season were 2 different teams, before xmas and after xmas. He was obviously going to have far more output in the first half when Chelsea were playing expansive flowing football and he was given license to express himself. Costa dropped off in the second half of that season with niggling injuries and form issues, Fabregas had no one to supply the assists to for a good portion of that second half of the season. His contribution was still vital as his role from providing assists to controlling the tempo of the game. Stats never tell the full story.

True the defeat at Spurs basically brought the shutters down. Still one stat that is useful is we did actually win it that season :D

So does that explain why he always falls off and my point that he has only 1 good half season. I think not.

So does that explain why he always falls off and my point that he has only 1 good half season. I think not.

Your point, most fans would disagree. Assists alone /= 1 good half season. You fail to look at his overall contribution to the team in the second half. He controlled games and made it easier for everyone, considering the entire team besides Hazard looked drained in the second half of that season.

Youre wrong because youre basing it on purely stats, mainly for assists, if you look at assists and goals from last year, Milner has better stats than Pogba, who would you prefer, same argument can be trotted out for Ramsey, his best season outshines Pogbas best season, Pogba is clearly streets ahead of both of them in his overall play and what he offers his side, like Cesc, Pogba is over priced but much better than both.

Cesc, like Modric, if he isnt creating the goal dorectly is often the killer ball for a player to square for a fella for a tap in.

Cesc is clear as day our best CM option and that includes Kante.

Here is a virtual 30m transfer kitty, pick a player from anywhere in the world for that value who can do a better job than Cesc does.

peteeeed wrote: »

asked which music he would choose before a game: 'Discotheque. Boom boom!'

'

Won me over already

Some more matches chosen for TV in October and November Leicester, United, Saints, Toffees, 'Boro, Spurs

http://www.chelseafc.com/news/latest-news/2016/08/six-matches-chosen-for-live-broadcast.html?

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

It isn't just that you are wrong but the way in which you are wrong that isn't helping. Cesc didn't fall off after Christmas in 2014, he was still a key player right up until the league was won.

Judging him on headline stats like goals and assists is where you are going wrong when his role changed completely in the second half of the season. We tightened up our play to stop conceding as many goals as we had been and this lead to more sane results like 1-0s and 2-0s rather than insane scores like 6-3 (vs. Everton) etc. We stopped scoring multiples in matches and his role went from providing Costa to holding midfield. He was still a vital player in the post-Christmas games. He was a vital player in bringing us up the table last season when everyone else lost their heads.

The fact that he is versatile enough to change roles mid-season and be as effective as a holding midfielder as he is springing a fast counter attack says a lot about his quality.

You aren't going to convince me anyway. You can post all the Daily Mail links you like.

Is there a Chelsea Fantasy Football league this year? Or a boards one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

can't decide for my fantasy cesc, oscar or lamela from spuds.

anyone care to input? :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement