Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Deserved that. We've been much better since their goal. We should go for it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭LightningBlue

Costa leaving it late again. Lucky boy to be on the pitch too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Now that is why Fabregas should start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

Diegooooooo

Oh Diego Costa, you wonderful man!

You infuriate me at times but when you do stuff like that, all is forgiven.

Johner wrote: »
    Now that is why Fabregas should start.

Especially when you have Dr Jekyll/Mr Hyde in Oscar and Matic can barely put one foot in front of the other at the minute.

Two upfront looks promising too. Even Moses on the wing is a vast improvement on Pedro.

Michy off the crossbar. Looks a real poacher.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Can't believe we won that. I'd say that's Fabregas nailed on to start next week. Conte proves he can definitely change a game anyway. Michy very impressive also.

Job very well done in the end.

I really liked the setup we finished with. If the game had gone on for another ten minutes, I reckon we'd have got two or three more. We looked very good on the break towards the end.

Fab and Batman making good cases for starting places. Will be happy to see Willian back, Pedro was anonymous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

Didn't get to watch the game but it's good to see we're able to come from behind and grind out results.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Fabregas changed the game when he came on. Moses to a lesser extent, even though he didn't have a direct impact his running stretched the full back and stopped Watford from being so compact. Really opened up.

Bats looks like a gem so far and himself and Costa seem to have a no problem playing together.

If it was last season we would have equalized, missed x amount of golden chances to win the game and then lost the game in extra time from a long ball/corner and ensuing chaos in the box.

Musonda just came on with 35 minutes left against Barcelona. With any luck he can nab 2 or 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

It took us 6 games to get 6 points, and the way we turned that game around was something completely missing from last year. We look really dangerous with Costa and Bats on together. We did against West Ham too. Would love to see them both start against Burnley. Michy has a goal and an assist in just over 20 minutes. Great ball from Fabregas for the winner. This system is his perfect position. Not a holding midfield in a pivot but not a #10 pushed up the pitch. He's able to play passes from deep and make runs to support our attacks.

Loved Conte at full time aswell. Such passion. Great to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

4-3-3 against the tougher teams and 4-2-4 vs the smaller ones? Nice that we have 2 systems that we can comfortably play now.

I'd still like to see Cesc start in a 4-3-3, think we'd create much more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Was away with the kids today and had that sinking feeling when we conceded first, was resigned to loose but hoping for a draw so I was absolutely delighted to get the win!
    There's no way in hell that we would have been able to turn it around last year and it's great to have such a passion form the manager.

• Advertisement

Just caught the highlights of the game on MOTD. It's great to see Conte's passion on the sideline. I'm really liking Batshuayi, his effort that went off the bar was a great strike.

What the hell was Cahill at for the goal though? He wasn't picking anyone up which meant that Ivanovic couldn't mark Capoue. The sooner we can get one or two defenders in the better.

I can't understand why motd make such a fuss over Costa staying on the pitch and then defend coquelin for staying on, I'm not saying coquelin should have went but to call for Costa to be sent off for two soft yellows is rediculous.

Loving Conte's passion, he's even more passionate than TSO, it's great to see how much he cares. When we equalised he was roaring at them to get back and get playing again.

Also love the Batman. In his little cameo, he showed a great hunger and ability. I think he could be Drogba 2.0 if he keeps it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

kev1.3s wrote: »
    I can't understand why motd make such a fuss over Costa staying on the pitch and then defend coquelin for staying on, I'm not saying coquelin should have went but to call for Costa to be sent off for two soft yellows is rediculous.

I didn't see Chelsea but I gather that simulation is an automatic yellow. Like the ref can make a call if it's a foul but not if it's a dive.

Anyway, I imagine this is going to become par for the course. Chelsea beat some team who say Costa shouldn't have been on the pitch.

• Advertisement

gosplan wrote: »
    I didn't see Chelsea but I gather that simulation is an automatic yellow. Like the ref can make a call if it's a foul but not if it's a dive.

Anyway, I imagine this is going to become par for the course. Chelsea beat some team who say Costa shouldn't have been on the pitch.

Simulation is an automatic yellow and I have no issue with that but how often does it happen and how often is a yellow given?
    I don't think it is worthy of the fuss that has been made of it, fair enough the late tackle on Adrian last week was deserving of a second yellow but it really was overplayed in the media. I had people telling me all week that Costa was a "tramp" and should have been given a straight red for that tackle who hadn't even seen the match!
    I wasn't suggesting that coquelin should have been sent off but if the motd panel or any news paper seem to think that have to overstate how fortunate we were to win because Costa should have gotten a second yellow they shouldn't just skip past similar incidents for other teams.
    But after all we all know what sells papers and it's not Francis coquelin.

Chelsea to miss out on Kalidou Koulibaly
    Chelsea are likely to miss out on primary defensive target Kalidou Koulibaly as it emerged last night that the defender is close to signing a new deal at the club that will last until 2021.

Now there's a surprise. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

I agree with you Kev, diving could be got rid of in two weeks if FIFA UEFA or the FA wanted rid. It is almost better to take the onus away from the ref as there can be slight contact on a player travelling quick or off balance he goes over looks bad but on close examination is legit - think of Nando a few years ago against United in the game that Clattenburg messed up more than he normally does and included the Obi incident.

I love the way people make all sorts of loose claims about Costa, I admire him in many ways. Fiercely competitive on the pitch the type of player most people want in their teams - but what do you hear of him off the pitch. Quiet clean living man by all accounts who sponsors fully a football academy in his hometown in Brazil for young disadvantaged lads but that is not good headlines so nothing to see here. He looks fierce is not English so is an easy target for the UK press as the type of Johnny foreigner who is ruining the beautiful game, ignoring that Shrearer had a really nasty (dirty even) streak in him and Gerard would go down in the slightest breeze. But haters gotta hate and ever since we became sort of super successful the knifes have been out.

I have been a Chelsea fan since 1970 a long long time when I was but knee high to a grasshopper. In the last few years of Cuddley Kens tenure we were perhaps everybodies second favourite team but we didn't win much a few FA Cups a European Cup Winners Cup the odd good run in the CL league and a decent punt in the Premiership before always coming up short. Then came the Roman empire and the hate began - why - well simply we were now a serious threat. First it was Chelsea were bought by Roman's blood money still waiting to see any proof of that and how he was not fit to own a PL club. Then the nice and jovial Tinkerman was sacked for the devil incarnate that is Jose, now I have a huge amount of tine for the Tinkerman he did really well with us, buy I think his goose was cooked in the away leg of the CL semi at Monaco and compounded by going 2-0 up at home in the second leg just to throw it all away. Had he won that he would have most likely kept his job but he didnt and the brash Russian sacked him for that awful Jose chap who proceeded to get under everyones skin bar Chelsea fans. We spent big money and the hate was there in earnest. Back to back PL's didn't help we were now a serious threat for every trophy and the hate grew.

Initially more muck thrown at Roman in that he would soon be gone and where would we be then - well he is still there he is still investing and still supporting (as images from the home game against West Ham clearly show).
    Then there was Jose of course he courted the image but the abuse generated was out of all proportions, Jose cemented Chelsea's place as the now most hated club in England. I must say I do dislike Jose now he is managing United but that is just me being jealous he will always be a legend at the Bridge I hope.
    Next was JT what a terrible person he is how could he treat Bridge a team mate like that. Well his wife either believed JT or forgave him and how Bridge got upset because JT allegedly (and both JT and her denied an affair) had an affair with a woman he parted from some 6 months before is just comical. Then there was the JT and Anton Ferindand incident well he was cleared in a court of law thats good enough for me I believe people are still presumed innocent until proven guilty - well he was proven innocent but that is not a long running story.
    Of course there is also Ashley Cole a man who did have a racially abuse term directed at him (choc ice or some such) but thats OK as this was a man with no loyally or so it seems (though he only ever played for two clubs at the height of his career) so anything said about him was OK. Strange how he was always loyal to Chelsea and left a legitimate club legend (perhaps a case of treat a player right and he will stand by you thick and thin?).
    And before Costa and the devil incarnate himself Drogba the man who single-handedly brought diving to England a man openly vilified as a cheat and a fraud. Also a man who stops civil wars in his country and donates sponsorship fees to build hospitals in his home country certainly a charlatan of the first order. I am fairly certain most Chelsea fans look at Drogba with a source of pride, a fantastic footballer and a hell of a man.

Costa is the man in the spotlight now and if the medial basically hound him out of England another one of ours will take his place. I love it when we are really crucified means we are doing something right, bring it on I say :D:D:D

So Mario Marin has left for pastures new, sure he must have been fed up with all the loan moves. Good luck to him anyway.

http://www.101greatgoals.com/news/transfers/chelsea-finally-get-marko-marin-off-books-sport1/?

Chelsea to miss out on Kalidou Koulibaly
    Chelsea are likely to miss out on primary defensive target Kalidou Koulibaly as it emerged last night that the defender is close to signing a new deal at the club that will last until 2021.

Now there's a surprise. :rolleyes:

Another pointless transfer saga. Same as Stones last season - Chasing someone who's unattainable for the full summer with no Plan B.

It was always just his agent looking for bargaining power for a new contract with a release clause so he can go next season.
    Koulibaly never even sounded like he wanted the move, just a wage rise.
    Then add Aurelio De Laurentiis to the mix who's a nightmare to deal with - hence why Juve had to pay the ridiculous release clause to get Higuain.

We were eejits not tell give a final offer of £45M a month ago + tell them to jog on after that and move to our next target.

Now there's 8 days left to get an alternative who'll need a few weeks to get used to Conte's system. :mad:

It sounds like were moving for Maksimovic now for £25M from Torino. Wouldn't be as quick as Koulibaly but is decent on the ball with some comparisons defensively to Vidic (probably just since he's Serbian).

Then add a full back like Ricardo Rodriguez and that will do.

Whoever is in charge of our transfer system does deserved to be fired at this stage.

Second season on the trot that we have messed up our defensive signings there is little chance we will make top 4 with our current defence, Conte seems an excellent manager and motivator but simply you cannot make a silk purse out of a sows ear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Haven't helped ourselves by sending out every half decent backup defender out on loan has to be said

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,751 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Emanalo needs the boot. Season after season we go through the same rigmarole and the buck stops with him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

• Advertisement

a

216#100769639

216#100769639

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Lol!

ShoulderChip, you're having a nightmare.

ShoulderChip, you're having a nightmare.
    To be fair I have a very funny image to share, its just not my day...

Panthro wrote: »
    Haven't helped ourselves by sending out every half decent backup defender out on loan has to be said

Yea hard to argue with that - might just have been a little more sensible to sign the replacement first

Wonder what sort of team we will see tonight, something like this should be good enough to get the job done.

Begovic
    Aina Cahill Ivanovic Azpilicueta
    Chalobah Fabregas
    Moses Loftus-Cheek Pedro
    Batshuayi

Really looking forward to seeing Batshuayi starting tonight.

Are we on TV tonight?

• Advertisement

Are we on TV tonight?

No, Burton - Liverpool is.

Fûck it! I'll go to the gym so.

Fûck it! I'll go to the gym so.

Good God lets not be too hasty now there are other channels you dont have to watch Liverpool :P:P.

According to WAGNH there is not even going to be a stream available for the game, last time that happened Bradford beat us 2-4 in the FA Cup

http://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation.com/2016/8/23/12600672/chelsea-bristol-rovers-efl-cup-2016-17-preview-live-time-tv-schedule-watch-online

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,751 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

I know there's a priority on a cb and a rb, but there's a lot of press talk of James Rodriguez to us, thoughts? Definitely an upgrade on Oscar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭RichT

We haven't entered into The League Cup this early (Round 2) since 1996 :eek:

This was the team....

Kevin Hitchcock
    Steve Clarke
    David Lee
    Michael Duberry
    Dan Petrescu
    Craig Burley
    Roberto Di Matteo
    Jody Morris
    Dennis Wise
    Mark Hughes
    John Spencer

Beat Blackpool at Bloomfield Road 4-1 and lost at The Bridge 1-3 in the home leg.

Lost to Bolton (2-1) in Round 3

duploelabs wrote: »
    I know there's a priority on a cb and a rb, but there's a lot of press talk of James Rodriguez to us, thoughts? Definitely an upgrade on Oscar

For the money he'd cost I'd pass.

• Advertisement

duploelabs wrote: »

He'd be an upgrade on any of our RW/AM options bar Hazard. We have too many middling players in those positions (Willian/Pedro/Oscar etc) who don't offer consistent threat. Would be a obvious set-piece taker as well.

Could potentially operate as a second striker too. Would give us more balance up front if played from the right in a 4-3-3 like he did at Porto and Monaco. (Bring us back to the Duff/Robben days)

Transfer fee and wages would be crazy I'd imagine. £60M+ and £200k/wk I'd guess.

I can't see it happening anyway with Real having the transfer ban coming up even though Zidane doesn't want him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

team : Begovic, Aina, Cahill, Ivanovic (c), Azpilicueta, Pedro, Fabregas, Matic, Moses, Loftus-Cheek, Batshuayi. #CFC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Chelsea subs Courtois, Terry, Chalobah, Oscar, Hazard,
    Solanke, Diego Costa. #CFC

Wonder what sort of team we will see tonight, something like this should be good enough to get the job done.

Begovic
    Aina Cahill Ivanovic Azpilicueta
    Chalobah Fabregas
    Moses Loftus-Cheek Pedro
    Batshuayi

Really looking forward to seeing Batshuayi starting tonight.

Chelsea XI v Bristol Rovers - Begovic, Aina, Cahill, Ivanovic, Azpilicueta, Pedro, Fabregas, Matic, Moses, Loftus-Cheek, Batshuayi

One off. Decent team.

Batshuayi!!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement