Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Lukker- wrote: »
    It's up to the board. I didn't criticize Jose for the lack of signings last season and I won't blame Conte this season. He just gives them targets, it's up to them to get them.

Conte is also the reason we got Kante too, he probably would have joined Arsenal if Conte hadn't convinced him with a telephone call.

Kante could well end up as the signing of the season! I don't think there was another player on the pitch today who worked as hard to win and retain the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

kev1.3s wrote: »
    Kante could well end up as the signing of the season! I don't think there was another player on the pitch today who worked as hard to win and retain the ball.

He's something else, his positioning is insane. He knows where the ball will end up 30 seconds before it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Why can't we sign a LB and put Azpi back to RB? It hinders him having to cut inside on his right foot all the time. I can't understand how people at the club still see Ivanovic as a viable option for RB for a title chasing team.

TimRiggins wrote: »
    Why can't we sign a LB and put Azpi back to RB? It hinders him having to cut inside on his right foot all the time. I can't understand how people at the club still see Ivanovic as a viable option for RB for a title chasing team.

We are it seems. Marcus Alonso from Fiorentina being linked. He was on loan at Sunderland 3 years ago. Seems to have come on a good bit since but honestly though he's no world beater IMO.

We are it seems. Marcus Alonso from Fiorentina being linked. He was on loan at Sunderland 3 years ago. Seems to have come on a good bit since but honestly though he's no world beater IMO.

Is he really an upgrade on Baba Rahman though who we sent out on loan?

I was hoping more would come of the Ricardo Rodriguez rumors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,751 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

TimRiggins wrote: »
    Is he really an upgrade on Baba Rahman though who we sent out on loan?

I was hoping more would come of the Ricardo Rodriguez rumors.

We sold Baba

duploelabs wrote: »
    We sold Baba

We didn't. He's on loan.

We sold Filipe luis for fûck sake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Hate to be pessimistic but it's only a matter of time before this goes up in smoke. We aren't scoring freely enough to compensate for the poor players (Cahill, Ivanovic) in our back 4. It'll catch up on us. There is no title in this squad as it stands IMO. Feel free to tell me I'm wrong.

I agree as it stands we won't be challenging. There is no way we will pick up enough points away from home with that defence. The Watford game we got lucky, we played great for 10 minutes and we wont get away with that at most grounds. Conte is a brilliant manager and I do think we could get 3rd but reinforcements are badly needed. We have Zouma to come back which will be a great help but we need a left back and a centre half and I think we would be in a much better position to challenge.

I'm delighted with our two signings so far though, Kante is just an unbelievable player, I would have liked another striker but Batshuyai has done nothing but impress and I'd be happy enough with Costa, Batshuayi and Solanke. The ideal two signings would be Ricardo Rodriguez and Koulibaly but that's not going to happen.

• Advertisement

Bundesliga club Schalke are targeting Kurt Zouma and negotiations with #Chelsea are progressing well. [Di Marzio]

There is a good chance that #Chelsea defender Kurt Zouma will join Schalke on loan with an option to buy. [Di Marzio]

Hilarious from Di Marzio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

Johner wrote: »
    Bundesliga club Schalke are targeting Kurt Zouma and negotiations with #Chelsea are progressing well. [Di Marzio]

There is a good chance that #Chelsea defender Kurt Zouma will join Schalke on loan with an option to buy. [Di Marzio]

Hilarious from Di Marzio.
    Honestly how more of a made up rumour could they get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

Yep

Given our high level of activity in the transfer market this Summer that is a perfectly logical position to hold :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Di Marizo has gotten everything regarding Chelsea wrong this summer. He said Matic was going to leave for Juve. Said we were interested in the likes of Candreva, Pelle and Diego Lopez.

Sky Germany have said there is no truth to the rumour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Hopefully that's not a goodbye pic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Be happier if he was getting his game time

Long season, really only Kante,Oscar,Matic and Cesc for 3 positions, he'll start plenty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

hopefully. Kinda has a mata mark II about it.

hopefully. Kinda has a mata mark II about it.

I'd have much more love for mata tho!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

kev1.3s wrote: »
    I'd have much more love for mata tho!

Same I still want us to make a bid for him :P

• Advertisement

cescf4bregas Contrary to what has been written, the manager and I have a good relationship and he has NEVER told me that I can leave. He said that he counts on me, as I count on him. I will continue to fight for this club until the very end and when called upon I will always give my very best. I'm fully committed to @chelseafc and my only goal is to help them win more trophies. #ChelseaFC

I'm fairly sure Fabregas will get a chance to prove himself. Right now our defense is a bit weak, so he's giving it as much protection as he can with Kante, Matic and Oscar. With a new CB and LB, Kante and Matic will offer suitable protection and Fabregas will come back into the fold, especially against more difficult teams to break down. Oscar is growing into the role too though, but I think a bit of competition will be good for Cesc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I missed the first 4 games of the season as I was away, only catching Twitter updates and what not or the odd dodgy Periscope link :pac:

Think I'll avoid every Chelsea game this year, we do much better when I'm not watching.

so james Rodriguez's release clause is only £426 mill

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I missed the first 4 games of the season as I was away, only catching Twitter updates and what not or the odd dodgy Periscope link :pac:

Think I'll avoid every Chelsea game this year, we do much better when I'm not watching.

Welcome back. :D

West Ham - decent performance, Costa should have been off.
    Watford - Bad performance apart from the last 10, Costa should have been off.
    Burnley - Great performance, Hazard is back and Kante is a beast.

peteeeed wrote: »
    so james Rodriguez's release clause is only £426 mill

I seen on Twitter (probably bollocks) that we want to loan him, pay 100% of his wages and see how suitable he is to the EPL.

Nobody ever pays the crazy release clauses Spanish clubs set but I reckon if we wanted him we'd him for 60-70m but its a serious outlay for what looks to be a position we're well stocked in and are probably buying just for the sake of buying.

We've no players of his quality, on his day hes brilliant but we're well stocked with #10s, unless Conte wants to play him on the right wing as an inverted winger but if he asks Cuadrado about the EPL he'll run a mile. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Techless

Was over at the game on Saturday. Big improvement on the dros I saw last season. Bearing in mind that Burnley (apart from Heaton) were very poor but there definitely was more energy and hunger from our guys and looked threatening every time we went forward. Kante is the catalyst for everything good. He never stops, always available and keeps the game moving with great tempo. Brilliant buy.

Techless wrote: »
    Was over at the game on Saturday. Big improvement on the dros I saw last season. Bearing in mind that Burnley (apart from Heaton) were very poor but there definitely was more energy and hunger from our guys and looked threatening every time we went forward. Kante is the catalyst for everything good. He never stops, always available and keeps the game moving with great tempo. Brilliant buy.

Must get over a few times this year, I'd say Kante is a fascinating player to watch live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

That Kurt Zouma rumour has to be utter horse****? He looked class last year up to his injury and is a level above the likes of Gary Cahill. Has he not recovered well from his injury or something? Was really surprised reading that this morning.

I seen the extended highlights and Matic seemed to play well too, as you said, Burnley were pretty much poor but on another day, we could have won by about 6 goals.

I think and it shows so far, the players were run very hard in pre-season and not left to relax and the attitude has flipped from last years very slow and painful starts in games to where the players are enjoying the football. 9 points that include 2 wins from tricky London derbies and good performances, theres nothing more you could want.

I wouldnt say we're favourites for anything but we're still coasting away under the radar compared to the Manchester teams, Conte has a real test after the international break, tougher games and schedules await, once we get zouma back and hopefully sign a defender or two, it will have been an excellent summer.

• Advertisement

That Kurt Zouma rumour has to be utter horse****? He looked class last year up to his injury and is a level above the likes of Gary Cahill. Has he not recovered well from his injury or something? Was really surprised reading that this morning.

It's one of the most ridiculous rumours I've read this summer, we are short on CB's so get rid of our best one? Makes sense.

Quite the opposite, hes much further along in his treatment then was first assumed, he took part in pre-season but hasnt done any contact training with the team yet. He was meant to be out until December but thats been revised to probably the start of October at this stage.

Either way, as you said, hes above Cahill and Ivanovic as CBs and if he was to go on loan, it would make no sense for anyone, we'd lose a CB that we couldnt replace without spending stupid money and Schalke would get a player thats weeks away from game time anyway.

Its a silly rumour, nothing more, IMO.

I wouldnt say we're favourites for anything but we're still coasting away under the radar compared to the Manchester teams, Conte has a real test after the international break, tougher games and schedules await, once we get zouma back and hopefully sign a defender or two, it will have been an excellent summer.

The bookies have it about right with City favourites, United second and us a clear enough third. As it stands I think we are booked for third but I think United and City will fight out the title. That could change in the next few days depending on what we do in the transfer window, not holding out much hope for any top quality signings though.

It's one of the most ridiculous rumours I've read this summer, we are short on CB's so get rid of our best one? Makes sense.

At this rate, I'd prefer if we kept our money and wait for Zouma and then Christensen to come back next year.

If Alonso is signed, Ivan can be shuffled to CB until Zouma is back.

It looks like Marcus Alonso will be one of the signings, we are close to a deal with Fiorentina. Have to say I was never overly impressed with him for Bolton or Sunderland, screams of a panic buy but at least it's another body. Has anyone seen much of him with Fiorentina?

The fee is £21.35m (€25m).

The bookies have it about right with City favourites, United second and us a clear enough third. As it stands I think we are booked for third but I think United and City will fight out the title. That could change in the next few days depending on what we do in the transfer window, not holding out much hope for any top quality signings though.

I'd be cautiosly optimistic about a top 4 finish but after 3 games, Hull look decent, wait until theres another 5 or so games done and you can get a clearer picture about where teams should be.

We've done well with Kante and Batshuayi, had we got Koulidably (sp) earlier in the window we'd have been sorted but if we miss out on him or any other CB, I wont be too bothered as our schedule is fairly easy anyway without European football.

If offered it now, I'd take top 4 and build for next year. If the club backs Conte he'll bring success, the early signs are good and his passion is brilliant to see.

It looks like Marcus Alonso will be one of the signings, we are close to a deal with Fiorentina. Have to say I was never overly impressed with him for Bolton or Sunderland, screams of a panic buy but at least it's another body. Has anyone seen much of him with Fiorentina?

The fee is £21.35m (€25m).

Buddys a Juve fan, said the same, hes probably not worth that but hes a solid enough FB, nothing spectacular.

Hes a big enough FB, about 6'2 or something so he'll add more steel and if it benches Ivan and shifts Azp to the right, I'll be happy.

I'd say this is a quantity over quality signing, id imagine Rahman will be sold next year though, which is a shame, LB has been a serious issue for us recently and we've left some cracking ones go.

looks like atsu is off to newcastle on loan

peteeeed wrote: »
    looks like atsu is off to newcastle on loan

Championship, lower level EPL is probably his level anyway.

Be good for him to get game time too, Newcastle doing everything to come straight back up.

• Advertisement

Buddys a Juve fan, said the same, hes probably not worth that but hes a solid enough FB, nothing spectacular.

Hes a big enough FB, about 6'2 or something so he'll add more steel and if it benches Ivan and shifts Azp to the right, I'll be happy.

I'd say this is a quantity over quality signing, id imagine Rahman will be sold next year though, which is a shame, LB has been a serious issue for us recently and we've left some cracking ones go.

I don't think Rahman is one of them, he can't defend, not really suited to the league.

Biggest mistake was letting Filipe Luis go.

I don't think Rahman is one of them, he can't defend, not really suited to the league.

Biggest mistake was letting Filipe Luis go.

Luis, given his age, would have been replaced probably next year.

The only good thing from that was we didnt really lose money on him, if the same happened Rahman, I'd be happy enough.

Rahman is a good footballer but as you said, the defensive side of his game isnt great, not what you'd hope for in the EPL and not for the level we hope to compete at.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Techless

We could have done worse than keep Bertrand or even Van Arnhoult

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Yeah, Van Aanholt is doing well but the reality is he would always have been backup at Chelsea, or so you'd think. I would think he wanted regular first team starts which he's getting now but couldn't have hoped for with us.

Not majorly pushed by PVA but Bertrand would have played a bit under Conte IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I always thought Bertrand was handy to have around, he put in a decent shift.

Really feel that we messed up going for Filipe Luis when Shaw was available.

• Advertisement

I always thought Bertrand was handy to have around, he put in a decent shift.

Really feel that we messed up going for Filipe Luis when Shaw was available.

Apparently Shaw rejected us after a meeting with Mourinho. We were willing to match United on the fee but not wages, probably tried to pressure him into lowering his demands.

Apparently Shaw rejected us after a meeting with Mourinho. We were willing to match United on the fee but not wages, probably tried to pressure him into lowering his demands.

Wages was the issue, club or Jose or both didnt want to hand an 18 year old nearly 6 figures a week, despite Shaw being a Chelsea fan, if you get an offer like Utd gave him, you dont turn it down.

Transfer window is closed at 11pm on Wednesday night so we've about 54 hours to do business.

I do expect us to leave annother 2 or 3 go on loan and hopefully sign another 1, maybe 2 players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

We could have done worse than keep Bertrand or even Van Arnhoult

Agree with those two more than Luis, was never convinced by him, then add in his age and cost... should never have been bought in the first place.

Should have been a bit tougher with Bertrand and told him to wait for the opportunities, Ashley was already on his way, at the worst he'd have been a consistent squad player.

hots wrote: »
    Agree with those two more than Luis, was never convinced by him, then add in his age and cost... should never have been bought in the first place.

Should have been a bit tougher with Bertrand and told him to wait for the opportunities, Ashley was already on his way, at the worst he'd have been a consistent squad player.

Luis wasn't given a fair crack. Honestly I think he's one of the best LB's in the world at the minute and if we stuck with him we would have gotten at least 3-4 solid years.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement