Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Also on our window, Kante, Batshuayi, Alonso, Luiz.

Thats all the major areas covered and one serious upgrade in Kante, although you could easily argue that Batshuayi is an upgrade on Remy also.

More importantly,we've managed to retain, Cesc, Hazard, Courotis, Costa, while buying the above 4 without any European football, the club has done really well if you look at it like that.

However, the pressure is now seriously on, we have to get top 4 now this year and while I thik we will, w'll be some distance behind Utd or City, who will win the league and for this season I can live with that as long we get 3rd/4th.

Solanke is now our 3rd choice CF, as we didnt bring in anyone else for a CF role, I doubt we'll be playing 3-4-1-2 and going with Costa and Batshuayi and only having Solanke and potentially RLC as back ups.

Good chance for Solanke too get some minutes with us this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,751 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

GavRedKing wrote: »
    However, the pressure is now seriously on, we have to get top 4 now this year and while I thik we will, w'll be some distance behind Utd or City, who will win the league and for this season I can live with that as long we get 3rd/4th.
    As the lads on At The End of the Day podcast said, we'll form a top three with UTD and City, and then there'll be a chasing three of Spurs Pool and Arsenal about 8-10 points back

duploelabs wrote: »
    As the lads on At The End of the Day podcast said, we'll form a top three with UTD and City, and then there'll be a chasing three of Spurs Pool and Arsenal about 8-10 points back

Utd and City are the ones to catch for me anyway.

You could just see through Utds win at Hull away that it was a Jose performance and victory. It ultimately wont decide the league but that kind of win always does wonders for the spirit.

The international break comes at the worse time, 3 teams have 3 wins under their belts and theyve to suddenly stop playing for 2 weeks, I hate the early international break, kills any head of steam you're building up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Utd and City are the ones to catch for me anyway.

You could just see through Utds win at Hull away that it was a Jose performance and victory. It ultimately wont decide the league but that kind of win always does wonders for the spirit.

The international break comes at the worse time, 3 teams have 3 wins under their belts and theyve to suddenly stop playing for 2 weeks, I hate the early international break, kills any head of steam you're building up.

Don't think United will be as good as they're being made out. City the ones to beat IMO. I think United will finish top4 because they're so defensively sound now but I don't think they have enough to challenge.

jive wrote: »
    Don't think United will be as good as they're being made out. City the ones to beat IMO. I think United will finish top4 because they're so defensively sound now but I don't think they have enough to challenge.

Well its early doors, I've not been impressed by anyone yet and again, its because we've only played 3 games.

City look like a Pep team, plenty of the ball, trying to dominant a team.
    Utd are more attacking than the were last year which is a turn around.
    Chelsea have got back more fight and desire but still leak silly goals.

We'll have to wait until we've about 10 games down before we get a picture of where people are going to finish up are there abouts.

I think all Chelsea fans would settle for top 4 now if offered it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Before the season started the league looked tight, now the summer window has closed little has changed. As we do not have to depend upon Ivan and Cahill when Happy is back we should be OK defensively (Kante is a real plus there) Hazard seems to be in the mood as does Costa and Batman looks the part (dark horse this season might be Moses he has a chance to show his worth and he may just take it) so there is cause for optimism for a top 4 finish. I feel United and City will finish top 4 that leaves Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs and Liverpool fighting for 2 places (and that is no disrespect to Leicester or West Ham I just don't see them in the hunt at the end) should be exciting to say the least.

Gut feeling is a top 4 of (in no particular order) Chelsea, City, United and Spurs / Arsenal, but after last season who knows Hull could win it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭bullpost

Before the season started the league looked tight, now the summer window has closed little has changed. As we do not have to depend upon Ivan and Cahill when Happy is back we should be OK defensively (Kante is a real plus there) Hazard seems to be in the mood as does Costa and Batman looks the part (dark horse this season might be Moses he has a chance to show his worth and he may just take it) so there is cause for optimism for a top 4 finish. I feel United and City will finish top 4 that leaves Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs and Liverpool fighting for 2 places (and that is no disrespect to Leicester or West Ham I just don't see them in the hunt at the end) should be exciting to say the least.

Gut feeling is a top 4 of (in no particular order) Chelsea, City, United and Spurs / Arsenal, but after last season who knows Hull could win it.

I feel Mou can just about edge it because of his previous experience in the premier league. However they will need to avoid key injuries as I'm not sure about depth in the Man utd. squad. As for us, I'd settle for top 4 and a return to consistency, but really liking Conte so far.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Just to throw that idea on its head for no other reason than debate, what if the EPL has gotten a bit stale as managers and teams know the league so well that every game is close and we get rafts of 0-0, 1-0 and 1-1 scorelines. Maybe the fact that the likes of Conte, Guardiola and to an extent Klopp are relatively inexperienced in the EPL will maybe be a little more daring with tactics, since they seem to have confidence to do so, rather than keeping things tight and avoid conceding a goal sometimes at the expense of the overall result?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

I'm glad they kept Fabregas. While I understand he's not the man for the lung-busting high-energy midfield shape Conte likes, there is still a time and place for the likes of the Watford pass...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Bateman wrote: »
    I'm glad they kept Fabregas. While I understand he's not the man for the lung-busting high-energy midfield shape Conte likes, there is still a time and place for the likes of the Watford pass...

I see him as a starter down the line in a similar to what Pirlo had but higher up. With Kante and Matic we can afford to give Cesc freedom he offers alot more then Oscar imo.

If Conte thinks that we need Oscar there because our defensive isn't good enough yet then i'm okay with that too.

As long as were winning games I'm not bothered who starts being honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

As long as were winning games I'm not bothered who starts being honest.

True, but I'd like to see Cesc at least rotating with Matic... there will be solid teams defend well against us where we'll need the extra creative spark. At least with fewer games he should hold off his 2nd half of the season burnout for a while!

hots wrote: »
    True, but I'd like to see Cesc at least rotating with Matic... there will be solid teams defend well against us where we'll need the extra creative spark. At least with fewer games he should hold off his 2nd half of the season burnout for a while!

Ya, sometimes you need that extra ability in CM on the ball that Matic just doesnt simply offer.

Alonso took number 3, as I assumed he would.

Luiz on the other hand took number 30, I was expecting him to take number 6. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭RichT

Alonso took number 3, as I assumed he would.

Luiz on the other hand took number 30, I was expecting him to take number 6. :pac:

30 will be a significant number for him.

The 30 yard mark will be where most of his goals are scored from, and......

30 yards will be the distance he will be from where he actually should be on many an occasion.

Speaking of significant numbers. Hazard, luiz, Costa, as well as a few others all brought for 32M

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

RichT wrote: »
    30 will be a significant number for him.

The 30 yard mark will be where most of his goals are scored from, and......

30 yards will be the distance he will be from where he actually should be on many an occasion.

He'll also be 30 when we next win the league. ;)

• Advertisement

In other news, Conte and Kante are both pronounced more or less the same way (both con-tay).

The international break is always full of fun facts such as this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Since David Luiz left Chelsea for PSG and rejoined in this transfer period, Arsenal haven't scored a competitive goal against Chelsea :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Lukker- wrote: »
    Since David Luiz left Chelsea for PSG and rejoined in this transfer period, Arsenal haven't scored a competitive goal against Chelsea :D

I'm assuming you don't see the community shield as competitive?

kev1.3s wrote: »
    I'm assuming you don't see the community shield as competitive?

Pre-season friendly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Lukker- wrote: »
    Pre-season friendly

Unless we win it.

kev1.3s wrote: »
    Unless we win it.

:D

Some seasons its played with a bit of intensity, but do you ever include it in trophies you've won that year? Not for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

So apparently Conte is interested in signing Martin Caceres as he's a free agent. Top player when fit in my opinion. Only played for Juve 6 times last season because of injuries. Really surprised he didn't sign for anybody yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

justshane wrote: »
    So apparently Conte is interested in signing Martin Caceres as he's a free agent. Top player when fit in my opinion. Only played for Juve 6 times last season because of injuries. Really surprised he didn't sign for anybody yet.

What is it- 37? players out on loan and scrabbling around for a free agent. Bizarre!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

greendom wrote: »
    What is it- 37? players out on loan and scrabbling around for a free agent. Bizarre!

Ah in fairness Caceres is a higher standard than any of the loanees (perhaps Christensen aside but he's locked in)... I'd be more than happy to get him in for depth, particularly if we have any ambition for 3 at the back as he's played it before and you'd need 5/6 capable of playing cb in the squad to manage it.

I think you are being more than a little disingenuous we have 3 full backs and 5 centre backs to play a maximum of 50 games and another transfer window to augment this if deemed necessary.

Perhaps ToL feels Martin Caceres can be a useful fill in, will add some experience on the training pitch, perhaps he is simply doing him a favour, it could also be that the club would prefer an older player to make up the numbers rather than hold back a young players career. Who knows but scrabbling around is the last thing that would come to a rational mind.

Caceres didnt play for Juve I assumed because of some drinking driving ban he got, didnt he wrap a car around a pole or something?

I'd take him on a free anyway, adds depth to the squad.

• Advertisement

I think you are being more than a little disingenuous we have 3 full backs and 5 centre backs to play a maximum of 50 games and another transfer window to augment this if deemed necessary.

Perhaps ToL feels Martin Caceres can be a useful fill in, will add some experience on the training pitch, perhaps he is simply doing him a favour, it could also be that the club would prefer an older player to make up the numbers rather than hold back a young players career. Who knows but scrabbling around is the last thing that would come to a rational mind.

It just proves that the loan system Chelsea have adopted is a completely separate operation to the first team. A completely different business arm of the club. The vast majority of the loaned out players will never get near Stamford Bridge - it's just a business operation nothing to do with football.

It just proves that the loan system Chelsea have adopted is a completely separate operation to the first team. A completely different business arm of the club. The vast majority of the loaned out players will never get near Stamford Bridge - it's just a business operation nothing to do with football.

Its open to every pther club to take advantage of the system. We'll probably make back about 40m on loan fees from the players, well, in or around that figure.

Guys like Atsu, Bamford, Omerou and Kalas will have paid off their transfer fees in loan spells and anything left on top after we sell them will be a small profit.

To me, its a genius idea, surplus players are making the club more moeny and I'm surprised more clubs arent doing it, as it stands theres nothing wrong with it.

Of those 38 players on loan, probably only 3 or 4 have a long term future with Chelsea or will at least have an impact on the first team, Musonda, Christensen, Abraham are names that should see some first team minutes, with Christensen the heir apparent to a CB role.

Caceres didnt play for Juve I assumed because of some drinking driving ban he got, didnt he wrap a car around a pole or something?
    And managed to kill someone too

Its open to every pther club to take advantage of the system. We'll probably make back about 40m on loan fees from the players, well, in or around that figure.

Guys like Atsu, Bamford, Omerou and Kalas will have paid off their transfer fees in loan spells and anything left on top after we sell them will be a small profit.

To me, its a genius idea, surplus players are making the club more moeny and I'm surprised more clubs arent doing it, as it stands theres nothing wrong with it.

Of those 38 players on loan, probably only 3 or 4 have a long term future with Chelsea or will at least have an impact on the first team, Musonda, Christensen, Abraham are names that should see some first team minutes, with Christensen the heir apparent to a CB role.

Exactly fair play to Chelsea for exploiting the system. I imagine the rules will need to be changed though before too many clubs adopt it.

And managed to kill someone too

I know Alonso was involved in a fatal collison, I didnt know Caceres waas too. :o

Exactly fair play to Chelsea for exploiting the system. I imagine the rules will need to be changed though before too many clubs adopt it.

Its been mentioned before but I cant remember was it a jurno looking for the change or someone in the FA.

There probably should be a limit to amount of over 23's you can send on loan though but I wonder would the EU get involved with regards to employment and potentially restricting movement of EU players.

How exactly is taking young players giving them access to education first class training facilities and first class coaches nothing to do with football. The Chelsea academy has been praised far and wide for the quality it provides both from a training and education aspect (an aspect which is held in very high importance).

Chelsea have their model they recruit the best young players they can train them in world class facilities loan them out for first team experience and then if they are good enough for one of the best teams in the world they will get a contract if not they should at least carve out an excellent career in the PL or Championship. Of course it is a business just as every other aspect of football at the highest level is a business these days. But what is wrong with the Chelsea model exactly? Are the young players exploited? Or are they given a fantastic opportunity for a career in football at the highest or a very high level? Lots of young people across Europe enter into apprenticeship this is not a whole lot different.

It is no easy thing for any player anywhere to break into one of the top teams in Europe. There are 24 teams in the CL every season, what is it a 21 man squad so 504 players from all over the world playing at the very highest level - how many kids want to be a footballer? Do the math the percentage of those who succeed is very low and whats more historically the percentage of those that succeed is very low and not just with Chelsea but with every club in the world I dare say.

So again what exactly is taking young players giving them access to education first class training facilities and first class coaches nothing to do with football. I would say this is very much for the good of football.

I can see where you are coming from but I really cannot see how this is exploitation? The young lads are well paid and well trained and if they do not get a full contract with us then they go off like Swift did going to Reading over the summer, a super player who will play at a higher level I am sure.

His choice was to go he was not under lock and key to stay.

Its been mentioned before but I cant remember was it a jurno looking for the change or someone in the FA.

There probably should be a limit to amount of over 23's you can send on loan though but I wonder would the EU get involved with regards to employment and potentially restricting movement of EU players.

It would be similar to the restriction of 25 players in s 1st team squad. I don't think the EU has a problem with that.

I can see where you are coming from but I really cannot see how this is exploitation? The young lads are well paid and well trained and if they do not get a full contract with us then they go off like Swift did going to Reading over the summer, a super player who will play at a higher level I am sure.

His choice was to go he was not under lock and key to stay.

It's not the players who are necessarily being exploited but the system itself. To create a successful Income generating business out of loaning players was never it's intention

• Advertisement

It's not the players who are necessarily being exploited but the system itself. To create a successful Income generating business out of loaning players was never it's intention

What information are you privy to to know the intention of the creators of the loan system at Chelsea?

Perhaps, perhaps not. A bean counter would argue that it is expensive to train players and as such revenue needs to be generated to recoup the costs.

A counter argument could be that bringing players through saves money thus the academy pays for itself. The thing here is of course how many players come through and will they be of sufficient quality to maintain a team in the highest levels.

What information are you privy to to know the intention of the creators of the loan system at Chelsea?

I'm talking about why the loan system was introduced, not how Chelsea have fashioned it.

I'm talking about why the loan system was introduced, not how Chelsea have fashioned it.

Curious now why was the loan system introduced?

Curious now why was the loan system introduced?

fancy doing a bit or research ?

fancy doing a bit or research ?

So you can't back up your statements, thought as much and expect little else.

So you can't back up your statements, thought as much and expect little else.

thought we were having a reasonable discussion here. Not sure why you felt the need of a personal remark ?

thought we were having a reasonable discussion here. Not sure why you felt the need of a personal remark ?

You made it personal by requesting I do some research to back up a comment you made, if you want a reasonable discussion thats great but if not thats great too.

You made it personal by requesting I do some research to back up a comment you made, if you want a reasonable discussion thats great but if not thats great too.

well you asked the question - I really don't see how that comment could be construed as personal - certainly wasn't intended as such - unlike yours.

I, probably like yourself, don't have the chance to research this at the moment, but I'm sure it wasn't meant as a money making exercise, but to give players who weren't playing in the first team a chance to get that experience elsewhere.

To see if their talent would transfer to the real World of Professional football. They used to be between 1 - 3 months as I recall, certainly not for a season or more.

• Advertisement

well you asked the question - I really don't see how that comment could be construed as personal - certainly wasn't intended as such - unlike yours.

I, probably like yourself, don't have the chance to research this at the moment, but I'm sure it wasn't meant as a money making exercise, but to give players who weren't playing in the first team a chance to get that experience elsewhere.

To see if their talent would transfer to the real World of Professional football. They used to be between 1 - 3 months as I recall, certainly not for a season or more.

Whatever

You made a statement talking about why the loan system was introduced, not me. By making the statement it was reasonable for me to assume you therefore knew why the loan system was introduced. Curious I asked why, clearly this was either a bluff on your part or the knowledge described was unintended.

I have little interest as to why the loan system was introduced its there and it works for a variety of reasons.

For your info here is an Arsenal blog who actually seems to think our loan arrangements all seem to make sense - there I did some research for you.

http://untold-arsenal.com/archives/55840?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement