Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

What play better play him now from the start. Moses also ahead of willian

What a player get in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭LightningBlue

At a boy Cesc. Has to start v Arsenal now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

I was never worried. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭LightningBlue

Zieler has stopped this from being 6 or 7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,828 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

It's Cescxy time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

Poor defending for the two goals we left in. Overall I'm kind of satisfied with the performance. Batshuayi doesn't seem to be suited to playing up front alone and seemed to play better in the brief period he was on with Costa. On the basis of tonight Fab and Moses have to start against Arsenal. I'd also like to see Alonso start as well. He wasn't anything special but he's definitely superior to Ivanovic.

Tonight's performance wasn't anything special but it was nice to see after the Liverpool game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Wouldnt write him off just yet. Wait until about December and January and if theyre still losing 1 in every 3 or games, then it might be true.

Sure, but even if Jose does bring success to United - it will be short term, guy will always run into trouble 2/3 seasons down the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Moses has to start vs Arsenal. Hes in a better place than Pedro or Willian now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Moses has to start vs Arsenal. Hes in a better place than Pedro or Willian now.

And Oscar...but Cesc is taking his spot surely ;)

And Oscar...but Cesc is taking his spot surely ;)

Don't....!..... mention oscar....!......to Gav....!!!

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

http://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation.com/2016/9/20/12993976/fabregas-cahill-sky-post-match-interview

It would be worrying for me if Cesc doesn't start vs Arsenal and I'd lose a lot of faith in Conte tbh.

I don't know about Cahill. I mean he's clearly no where near good enough but if JT isn't back, Conte has no choice.

Alonso is either not good enough or was nervy tonight but I suspect he's just not good enough so LB still needed.

Ugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

http://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation.com/2016/9/20/12993976/fabregas-cahill-sky-post-match-interview

It would be worrying for me if Cesc doesn't start vs Arsenal and I'd lose a lot of faith in Conte tbh.

I don't know about Cahill. I mean he's clearly no where near good enough but if JT isn't back, Conte has no choice.

Alonso is either not good enough or was nervy tonight but I suspect he's just not good enough so LB still needed.

Ugh.

I thought Alonso was solid, bar his misplaced pass that led to events of the first goal. He also has a good cross on him, but he's nothing special going forward.

Still it was great to have 2 natural FB's, I felt our attack was much more balanced. Most of all on the right hand side, that is generally a dead end when Ivanovic receives the ball but Azpi either overlapped and made the run or played the ball quickly.

Fabregas was much better when he took Bats off and we switched to a 3 man midfield.

Luiz was also relatively solid until he had a few brain farts in the second half, he sometimes seems to rush things under high balls but I'm confident that can be coached out. Having Kanté in front of him and Terry alongside should rectify that. His long balls were sublime tonight and really added another dimension to our play. He played Pedro and Costa in, and numerous cross field balls to the wings too.

Having a ball playing CB is really beneficial to the way this team plays and negates the need for Fabregas to be deep. Put 2 solid midfielders around him and let him play further up the field. (Not as a #10, but a CM without as much defensive duties)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

I thought Alonso was OK nowt special but OK. Must have been a few nerves making his debut but cock up for first goal (though if Cahill was a proper defender that should have been tidied up easily enough) apart played OK, certainly more convincing than Ivan.

If JT is not fit I would be tempted to play Dave, Luiz, Ivan and Alonso. Fair play to Cahill for the goal but he is supposed to be a defender and he is getting worse he is responsible for giving away at least one goal every game now.

Moses was head and shoulders above anything Willian or Pedro has to offer, he did not have much time V Liverpool but we looked so much better offensively when he came on, last night him and Dave were an excellent combination on the right.

Still the first 45 minutes last night and the entire 90 against Liverpool give an awful lot of cause for worry we really need to hit the ground running on Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

but dave was superb at RB , passing was great , wonderful goal

• Advertisement

Yea both Dave and Sideshow are a great attacking option from the back. Dave's overlapping with Moses was excellent as well, that is one thing I will say in Willian's favour Moses benefited from playing with a proper right back last night. When Willian was at his best last season Ivan was injured, banned or at CB I would like to see him in tandem with a proper right back as well.

I'd be going for this on Saturday

Tbo
    Dave Luiz JT Alonso
    Moses Cesc Kante Matic Hazard
    Costa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

I'd be going for this on Saturday

Tbo
    Dave Luiz JT Alonso
    Moses Cesc Kante Matic Hazard
    Costa

I like that team. Pick It Conte!

justshane wrote: »
    I like that team. Pick It Conte!

It all hinges on JTs fitness.

I wouldnt be surprise dif Conte goes back to basics and picks Ivan Cahill JT Azp, maybe throw Luiz next to Kante and Cesc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,752 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

It all hinges on JTs fitness.

I wouldnt be surprise dif Conte goes back to basics and picks Ivan Cahill JT Azp, maybe throw Luiz next to Kante and Cesc.

Conte said recently that Luiz was brought as he's a cb and that's where he'll play

Chalobah on last nights debut.
    Dream come true for me today.Can't describe putting the shirt on and entering the pitch on my first competitive game. #goosebumps

The best feeling ever after 12 years of being at the club.Wana say a big thank you to all the staff in the academy building that helped me..

My family who have played a huge part in keeping me positive my friends and my loved ones.Not forgetting the Chelsea fans all over ...

..the world. Thank you all for your support and kind messages .We look forward to the next game now. #Cfc #cfcfamily #debut

Panthro wrote: »

Hes done it all here, time for him to influence other teams and help them and hopefully guys like Baker, MVG, Chalobah can take his place in the squad.
    duploelabs wrote: »
    Conte said recently that Luiz was brought as he's a cb and that's where he'll play

Oh I know that, with JT back and Zouma coming back soon, something has to give.

Hes done it all here, time for him to influence other teams and help them and hopefully guys like Baker, MVG, Chalobah can take his place in the squad.

Oh I know that, with JT back and Zouma coming back soon, something has to give.

It will most likely be JT

It will most likely be JT

Well I think Zouma has to start once hes fit but we've seen now in the last 2 games and when Jose dropped him, JT has to play.

Unless Luiz can step up seriously in the next few weeks and partner JT and outshine him, JT has to start too.

3 at the back wont happen for us, well, not as a starting formation, maybe when we're chasing a game but I dont think Conte will go to 3 at the back with us.

Toys out of the pram cause he didn't make the squad for the league cup

368 1st team appearances.

Jesus christ.

Have a bit of respect. The man has been loyal to the club for over a decade. He's our longest serving player after JT. He's not getting a sniff of first team football and his contract is up at the end of the season. He's far from throwing his toys out of the pram, he's just stating facts as he is entitled to do. This club could do with a lot more players with the same attitude as Mikel.

I'm just surprised hes got 368 games for us. :o

His time has come and it this rate hes only holding other young players back from a being in the first team squad, well he was until Conte decided he doesnt need him.

Have a bit of respect. The man has been loyal to the club for over a decade. He's our longest serving player after JT. He's not getting a sniff of first team football and his contract is up at the end of the season. He's far from throwing his toys out of the pram, he's just stating facts as he is entitled to do. This club could do with a lot more players with the same attitude as Mikel.

Just because a player has spent a long service to the club should give him some credence and weight, but if he's not up to the grade and level that the team demands then tough sh!t, otherwise we'd have wise, lamps, and drogba still in the first team

• Advertisement

Just because a player has spent a long service to the club should give him some credence and weight, but if he's not up to the grade and level that the team demands then tough sh!t, otherwise we'd have wise, lamps, and drogba still in the first team

I was hoping Lamps would retire with us, I'm still hoping JT can but in this day and age, players are usually left go and make a move abroad for a last pay cheque for 2 years and see a new culture and what not.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Lukker- wrote: »
    I thought Alonso was solid, bar his misplaced pass that led to events of the first goal. He also has a good cross on him, but he's nothing special going forward.

In fairness, that's similar to what I meant. He may be ok, but that's the extent of it. I would have thought we were looking for someone with at least the potential to be as good a LB as Ashley was. Or at least not someone who isn't very good at positioning, passing, running with or without the ball but has an ok cross.

Admittedly, I didn't see the whole match but caught most of it and couldn't see why the alternatives we had over last season and pre-season were shipped out when it seems to me like they were at least as capable in defence if not better.

----

Anyway, the bigger issue is that the whole transfer business is papering over cracks and tiding us over but there's a schism coming when JT has to retire (probably due to old age and pension entitlements at this stage.) We are lost at sea without him and frankly incredibly lucky he has managed to stay fit over the course of the past few years for as many games as he has.

I said elsewhere that the only real leader left in the bunch is Cesc (I don't rate Ivan as a leader, he can't keep his head) but obviously for him to keep the **** together in games, he has to be on the pitch.

Another point that is related to this is that Courtois seems to be unable to shepherd his defence in the way that Cech could, which means there is effectively no one at the back calling the shots. Azpilicueta is the only one of them playing last night who seems to be capable of seeing the big picture and reading play but I'm not sure how much of a leader he is.

I always find it strange when commentators call Dave "César". It's gotten to the stage now where I think of him as Dave Azpilicueta.

In fairness, that's similar to what I meant. He may be ok, but that's the extent of it. I would have thought we were looking for someone with at least the potential to be as good a LB as Ashley was. Or at least not someone who isn't very good at positioning, passing, running with or without the ball but has an ok cross.

Admittedly, I didn't see the whole match but caught most of it and couldn't see why the alternatives we had over last season and pre-season were shipped out when it seems to me like they were at least as capable in defence if not better.

----

Anyway, the bigger issue is that the whole transfer business is papering over cracks and tiding us over but there's a schism coming when JT has to retire (probably due to old age and pension entitlements at this stage.) We are lost at sea without him and frankly incredibly lucky he has managed to stay fit over the course of the past few years for as many games as he has.

I said elsewhere that the only real leader left in the bunch is Cesc (I don't rate Ivan as a leader, he can't keep his head) but obviously for him to keep the **** together in games, he has to be on the pitch.

Another point that is related to this is that Courtois seems to be unable to shepherd his defence in the way that Cech could, which means there is effectively no one at the back calling the shots. Azpilicueta is the only one of them playing last night who seems to be capable of seeing the big picture and reading play but I'm not sure how much of a leader he is.

I always find it strange when commentators call Dave "César". It's gotten to the stage now where I think of him as Dave Azpilicueta.

I think Rahman has a higher ceiling for improving than Alonso but Alonso is a physically imposing FB too, hes about 6'1 or 2 and pretty well built, not as big as Ivan but hes much more mobile.

I think Rahman will be going back to Germany for good at the end of the season but he did show glimpses of his quality last year, away to PSG he was very good but he was too inconsistent and not really a capable defender.

Cole was the perfect blend of attacking and defensive balance and is one of the greatest modern FBs the world has seen, it was always going to be a long time before we replaced him but if we cant get a FB thats as complete at the very least we need a solid FB and if Alonso can do that part of the game, he'll be doing better than Luis or Rahman have in previous seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

On Alonso, you can't really judge his worth only on his performance, you have to add in how much better azpi is on the right. For a first game and a wandering Luiz & Cahill and no Kante I thought he did just about the bare minimum not to be considered bad. Few poor touches, very nervous on the ball and positionally not great but he was still better than Ivan on the ball by a long way.

hots wrote: »
    On Alonso, you can't really judge his worth only on his performance, you have to add in how much better azpi is on the right. For a first game and a wandering Luiz & Cahill and no Kante I thought he did just about the bare minimum not to be considered bad. Few poor touches, very nervous on the ball and positionally not great but he was still better than Ivan on the ball by a long way.

I've no doubt that it will be Ivan XX JT Azp on Saturday anyway, even if Alonso had a belter of a game, the main question is who partners JT, assuming hes fit.

If its the same defence that started against Pool, we're boned.

I think we can all agree that Alonso didn't set the world alight last night. But I think we can all also agree that Alonso + Azpilicueta > Azpilicueta + Ivanovic.

I think we can all agree that Alonso didn't set the world alight last night. But I think we can all also agree that Alonso + Azpilicueta > Azpilicueta + Ivanovic.

Thats it, 2 natural FBs helps the balance no end.

Better than a LB that turns back at every opportunity or a RB that cant get back once hes up the pitch.

Let's approach Arsenal for Bellerin, we'll offer 5million plus Cahill.
    Be reminiscent of a similar deal done roughly ten years ago!

Let's approach Arsenal for Bellerin, we'll offer 5million plus Cahill.
    Be reminiscent of a similar deal done roughly ten years ago!

Fool me once......

• Advertisement

I imagine this is why Costa wasnt sold this summer to Atletico, Morata going back to Real from Juventus.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/09/21/alvaro-morata-reveals-chelsea-offered-to-make-him-the-most-expen/

That and Everton wanted even more money for Lukaku. :pac:

Seeing as we beat the best team in the league, do we fear anyone in the draw? I'm assuming we're also outright favourites to win the thing now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Tammy just scored again.

West Ham next in the cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

West Ham are in woeful form, should be beating them with the form they are in. Draw could have been better but could have been a lot worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Yeah the Olympic stadium hasn't done them a whole world of good

• Advertisement

Johner wrote: »
    Tammy just scored again.

Hes more goals now than any loanee from last year. Serious talent.

Hes scoring winners too for them not token 3rd or 4th goals in a mauling.

West ham will be up for our game, its not for anothwr 3 or 4 weeks and their form will improve youd imagine but its not the worse draw in the world.

Spurs v pool
    City v utd

Thats two potential winners going out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

We have to survive without JT at some point

cadaliac wrote: »
    We have to survive without JT at some point

Zoumas back soon, be grand.

For all the stick non believers give him is it no wonder Chelsea fans love Luiz?

http://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation.com/2016/9/21/13000544/david-luiz-chelsea-fan-shirt-leicester-city

He has only been back a wet weekend and its like he has never been away.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement