Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

This day in 1999:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Ya, Zouma is back in training in the next wee or two and will probably feature towards the end of the month but we dont need to rush im back.

I wonder will Conte continue with the 3-4-3 and go with

Tbo
    Azp JT Luiz
    Moses Kante Matic Alonso
    Willian Costa Hazard

Well, go with it until it get shut down badly.

I'd prefer Azp there anyway and hes a solid defender, rarely gets beat one on one.

Apparently Contes dream formation Is 4-2-4 and he only played the 3-5-2 at Juve and Italy because he has 3 of the best defenders in the world. Will be interesting to see if he shifts us towards that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

This day in 1999:

Ah I remember it well happy days. Just think wouldn't it be nice to have the option of Soxy and Baba I on the left hand side now (not to mention Dan on the right).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Latest rag news is Cesc to AC Milan for money and De Sciglio coming our way.

Yea and we are buying Hart as well :eek::eek::eek:

TBo back tracking on stories to Spain again but I think its obvious his heart is not in it but if we were to buy an English 'Keeper then Butland would be a better option. Either way would not be surprised to see someone else between the sticks when we kick off next season.

• Advertisement

Yea and we are buying Hart as well :eek::eek::eek:

TBo back tracking on stories to Spain again but I think its obvious his heart is not in it but if we were to buy an English 'Keeper then Butland would be a better option. Either way would not be surprised to see someone else between the sticks when we kick off next season.

Well we nearly signed Butland a few years back but he choose the right option and went to Stoke to play games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

Latest rag news is Cesc to AC Milan for money and De Sciglio coming our way.

Finally! I've been asking for this one for months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

This day in 1999:

Ah memories !! this was one of my 1st games as a CFC/football fan :)

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Techless

Ah memories !! this was one of my 1st games as a CFC/football fan :)

God, that makes feel old

• Advertisement

justshane wrote: »
    Apparently Contes dream formation Is 4-2-4 and he only played the 3-5-2 at Juve and Italy because he has 3 of the best defenders in the world. Will be interesting to see if he shifts us towards that.

Be a tough one to sort out.

The 3-4-3 we tried worked out against Hull but I dont know how it would fair against better sides.

Any formation that makes use of only 2 CMs will see the end of Cesc and probably Oscar.

Both work better in a 3 man system.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I would be hopeful that once the CB issue is resolved somewhat when JT and Zouma return, Conte will move away from having 2 CDMs in front of the defence and open up the MF to Cesc starting. It would be almost embarrassing if a player of his quality was let go only for us to retain the likes of Matic or Willian, both of whom are at best dubious.

Maybe with Luiz and JT able to disperse from the back, and Kanté to an extent, Cesc is seen as redundant since most of the play would bypass him but stick him into something like a #10 position and he'll gift Costa and the batman goal after goal.

I would be hopeful that once the CB issue is resolved somewhat when JT and Zouma return, Conte will move away from having 2 CDMs in front of the defence and open up the MF to Cesc starting. It would be almost embarrassing if a player of his quality was let go only for us to retain the likes of Matic or Willian, both of whom are at best dubious.

Maybe with Luiz and JT able to disperse from the back, and Kanté to an extent, Cesc is seen as redundant since most of the play would bypass him but stick him into something like a #10 position and he'll gift Costa and the batman goal after goal.

The best part of Kantes game, and it was similar with Makelele, is he has no problem taking a pass in 30 yards from his own goal from one of the CBs and starting attacks. Usually, he plays balls short and creates space but if hes got time he'll turn and pick out passes.

Hes better than Cesc at that part of his game but Cescs range of passing and accuracy exceeds Kante by far. The ideal scenario would be to have both in CM as Kante is more than just a destroyer and in most games we play we shouldnt be playing 2 DMs as its pretty much overkill.

If a team puts a CF on Kante and stops short distribution to him, then our short game will go to tatters.

Finally! I've been asking for this one for months.

I wonder would be in for Darmian if Utd decide to sell.

Jose has played Valencia largely at RB and Darmian hasnt got a sniff.

Its a name we were linked with in the summer but that could have been because, Darmian + Conte = Italian

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Conte didn't trust Darmian with Italy so I have my doubts.

Kante and Fabregas will never work as a midfield duo imo

I'd love to know why you don't think they would work in midfield. By duo do you mean some sort of partnership or do you just mean that the midfield wouldn't work with both of them playing?

So Cahill expects it will be easy to cut out the ridiculous errors he is making

http://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation.com/2016/10/5/13171744/englands-brave-gary-cahill-determination-errors-prove-himself-conte-chelsea

Why do I not believe a word of that

So Cahill expects it will be easy to cut out the ridiculous errors he is making

http://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation.com/2016/10/5/13171744/englands-brave-gary-cahill-determination-errors-prove-himself-conte-chelsea

Why do I not believe a word of that

I'd say because hes s**t, thats why I wouldnt believe it.

He was lucky to get back into the team when JT and then Zouma got injured last year.

With both coming back very soon and Luiz now at the club, he could easily be 4th choice CB.

Read the first quote about him being his own harshest critic and cracked up laughing so didn't bother with the rest of it.

I'd love to know why you don't think they would work in midfield. By duo do you mean some sort of partnership or do you just mean that the midfield wouldn't work with both of them playing?

As a duo I mean in a 2 man midfield, not enough height or strength for the PL IMO.

As a trio it could work, if Matic or some other box to box could perform their duty.

• Advertisement

Lukker- wrote: »
    As a duo I mean in a 2 man midfield, not enough height or strength for the PL IMO.

As a trio it could work, if Matic or some other box to box could perform their duty.

Yeah, I see what you mean then - would definitely need another man in there but I can't see Matic as a capable box-to-box even though he has scored/created when he does run out. He might be lacking in the fitness department for that.

Tbo
    Azp JT Zouma Alonso
    Cesc Kante Luiz
    Moses Costa Hazard

Job done

Yeah, I see what you mean then - would definitely need another man in there but I can't see Matic as a capable box-to-box even though he has scored/created when he does run out. He might be lacking in the fitness department for that.

The last day against Hull he actually played Kante as the box to box. Matic played the sitting role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,752 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

God I hate the international break

The last day against Hull he actually played Kante as the box to box. Matic played the sitting role.
    I didn't see the match due to work but I cannot imagine that working against a proper side?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Tap in goal for Costa.

Good that the international break is over and that Ireland got 2 wins, now, back to the main event. Hope no players come back with injuries.

Felipe Anderson anyone?

Meant to be in the market for him but it could just be papers making links to keeo them ticking over for international week.

Utd apparently had a bid of about 50 million Euro turned down, although thats only claimed by Lazios president.

With England playing away to Slovenia on Tuesday, chances are we wont have Cahill back until Thursday for training, we've Leicester at home on Saturday early kick off and with JT more than likely back, it means Cahill will more than likely be missing out.

Lots of ifs and buts there I know but it makes for good reading, less Cahill the better.

• Advertisement

Hazard on the score sheet last night against Gibraltar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

Unless all possible other candidates have lost limbs in a threshing accident, I'm hoping that Cahill and Brana won't ever be starting again as first choices in their positions.

Duck Soup wrote: »
    Unless all possible other candidates have lost limbs in a threshing accident, I'm hoping that Cahill and Brana won't ever be starting again as first choices in their positions.

All our players should be back from International break bar Cahill and Oscar and Willian who are playing tomorrow night, meaning a very, very late return for them, probably on Thursday night/Friday morning, which you'd assume, with a 12.30 Saturday game, they'll be missing from.

So with that in mind, do we go 3-4-3 with

Tbo
    Azp JT Luiz
    Moses Kante Matic Alonso
    Pedro Costa Hazard

Or do we go 4-2-3-1

Tbo
    Azp JT Luiz Alonso
    Kante Matic
    Moses Cesc Hazard
    Costa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Is JT back fit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,752 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Is JT back fit

Apparently

Ya, JT should be back starting on Saturday.

I'd be shocked if he isnt.

I suppose Conte will let us all know in a few days at the press conference.

• Advertisement

Goal for Tammy for the U21's .

John Swift got the 1st.

Hes having a good strat to his Reading career too.

Good to see Costa and Hazard bag goals for the NT. Having them firing is key to doing well!

Good to see Costa and Hazard bag goals for the NT. Having them firing is key to doing well!

Ivanovic scored too. :pac: :o

Ivanovic scored too. :pac: :o

Stick em in the hole :eek::p:pac:

• Advertisement

Stick em in the hole :eek::p:pac:

All we need now is Cahill to score tonight and all our best players will have scored. :D

Tammy again. :pac:

Its safe to assume, given his exploits in underage football and at senior level with Bristol, that hes going to be better than Ronaldo and Messi....combined. :pac:

Willian wants to end his career at Chelsea......bo**ocks. :o

Cut Willy some slack his mum's sick and he's had to carry Ivanovic for the last 2 years!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Willian wants to end his career at Chelsea......bo**ocks. :o

Aaaahhh here Gav

I'm no fan of Willian, havent really been since we signed him.

Hes the only winger, at an elite level who cant cross or score from open play.

Hes a fine work horse and hes pretty quick but his decision making and end product is sketchy at best.

He played well last year when we were bad and we started to lose less games and play better after Jose, he was again left wanting, if we sold him, he'd be no loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Have to say with a heavy heart I'd have to agree. I can't fault him for his effort and would really wish him to show up a bit more because I do think we need more of his type personality wise but he's left wanting all too often.

kev1.3s wrote: »
    Have to say with a heavy heart I'd have to agree. I can't fault him for his effort and would really wish him to show up a bit more because I do think we need more of his type personality wise but he's left wanting all too often.

Its just me being critical, personally I'd prefer Moses, hes more direct and you know hes not going to try 4 step overs once he gets into a crossing position and then go backwards.

Willian has some brilliant qualities, work rate, speed on the counter and his ability to recognise danger behind him (usually) but I think we need more on the RW and we're not blessed with good options.

Willian, Pedro, Moses are probably all looking to fill the spot and they all bring something different but I'd prefer Moses right now. Shift Willian to the left and let him cut inside or move him to a #10 role where he was with Shakhtar.

Edit : His corners are pretty poor too, his free kicks were good last year but 2 were crosses that just flew in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

GavRedKing wrote:
    Edit : His corners are pretty poor too, his free kicks were good last year but 2 were crosses that just flew in.

I make that 3. His one versus Southampton was an over hit cross IMO

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement