Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,752 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

For the first time in a while, I'm feeling.... what's the opposite of shame?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Garzorico

Delighted for Cahill. Clean sheets and captain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

Soton were competitive all the way, so it was very gratifying to see us play our way to that result. Nice goals. Good performance from Moses, who also got off a couple of good strikes.

All in all, Terry's injury was a godsend as it enabled Conte to depliy the 3-4-3, which is standing up to some decent tests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

40th league goal for Costa in 64 games, only one of those was a penalty. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

duploelabs wrote: »
    For the first time in a while, I'm feeling.... what's the opposite of shame?

Less shame? :pac:

• Advertisement

Johner wrote: »
    40th league goal for Costa in 64 games, only one of those was a penalty. :)

And has got there 7 games before Aguero

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

If this was U11s soccer Matic would definitely get the 'most improved' award, he's a completely different player. He looks 100 times quicker and was running for days today, so good to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

Have to stop getting excited as another good game today and Cahill even suits the system more. 4 clean sheets with Dave cahill and Luiz who would have thought that.
    Moses is really a standout from getting loaned every year to nailing down a starring role.

I think thats where Conte has got love from the Chelsea fans. Hes changed the system to suit his style and hes given people chances if they work.

Moses has been very good. Solid with a cutting edge, I had Azp pinned as our RWB but I wouldnt drop Moses as hes a much better attacker and solid at the back.

Not getting carried away but goals, wins and clean sheets in the league after the horror show against Arsenal is very eelcome, its baby steps but Id say we're outside contenders for the league at best. Come back in another 10 games and if we're still within 3 - 5 points of top od be delighted.

Top 4 is the goal and id happily take that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Pedro has been phenomenal under Conte this season, turning out to be a great signing for Chelsea. He's been running the show for Chelsea over the past few games imo.

• Advertisement

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Pedro has been phenomenal under Conte this season, turning out to be a great signing for Chelsea. He's been running the show for Chelsea over the past few games imo.

He works much better in this system as Pep used to use it at Barca and he can operate.on the right of a 3 or at WB.

Tactically hes intelligent and hes got less defensive duties per se in the 3-4-3 but himself Hazard and even Costa were all tracking back today.

Willian is a serious threat in open play with his pace but Pedro is a very viable option on the right too so weve 2 good options.

Id say conte also knows he can trust Pedro as he does understand whats needed of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »

I wouldn't go that far but he's been improved anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I think thats where Conte has got love from the Chelsea fans. Hes changed the system to suit his style and hes given people chances if they work.

Moses has been very good. Solid with a cutting edge, I had Azp pinned as our RWB but I wouldnt drop Moses as hes a much better attacker and solid at the back.

Not getting carried away but goals, wins and clean sheets in the league after the horror show against Arsenal is very eelcome, its baby steps but Id say we're outside contenders for the league at best. Come back in another 10 games and if we're still within 3 - 5 points of top od be delighted.

Top 4 is the goal and id happily take that.
    We're very compact and energetic. With our fixture list (EPL and FA Cup) and a decent rub of the green, I'd be very confident of top 4. We can also press right towards the end for the title. And we should. We need to show top transfer targets that we're back in business, and a top-3 go-to club in England guaranteeing UCL football.

Incidentally, it'll be interesting to see how 3-4-3 works out for Conte in the UCL next season (counting all my chickens here! :pac:).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

'member when Conte was "under pressure" a few weeks back ?

'member when Conte was "under pressure" a few weeks back ?

I member......

member-berries.jpg?quality=90

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

14900390_1336346496388964_3520956543686928387_n.jpg?oh=c51ac8285e7e2052f14a061f65a82757&oe=58D517FB

After Chelseas 4 clean sheets in a row, Courtois is now top of the clean sheet charts, thats only a month after an article came around saying he was the worst GK in the league. :pac:

vpqulebv5yux.jpg

We're also the only team in the top 5 leagues in Europe not to concede a goal in October

• Advertisement

We're also the only team in the top 5 leagues in Europe not to concede a goal in October

Ya, if Conte doesnt win MOTM I'll be shocked.

Costa and Hazard should both be in the running for POTM too.

We're only about 75 posts from a new thread too, probably have one before the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

There were indications though against Southhampton that your 3-4-3 variant was in danger of being a little too compact and vulnerable to a press. It'll be interesting to see how it holds up against Liverpool or Tottenham. Odds are anyway that it'll be much more refined before then too. :)

Turtwig wrote: »
    There were indications though against Southhampton that your 3-4-3 variant was in danger of being a little too compact and vulnerable to a press. It'll be interesting to see how it holds up against Liverpool or Tottenham. Odds are anyway that it'll be much more refined before then too. :)

I think thats why Conte is playing Matic and Kante over Cesc, both are better with their back to play and a hard press, neither posses Cesc ability to find a pass but hes slower than both and not as physical and because of that, both CMs are comfortable enough coming short to receive a ball under pressure.

The Southampton game also showed that the team seems to be very well drilled that during the first half, Saints had something like 70% of the ball but didnt create anything, as long as the out ball and hold up play by the front 3 is sufficient, we might get away with it even playing a high and hard pressing team.

It will face tougher tests than it already has thats for sure but its moving in the right direction anyway IMO.

One thing that could seriously derail the 3-4-3 is injuries, outside the starting XI thats played the last 4 league games, the bench doesnt overly fill me with confidence. We've no natural back up LWB in the senior side and outside of Kante and Matic, I dont think Conte trusts the other CMs other than Chalobah it seems.

Batshuayi seriously needs game time but in Costas form, you cant drop him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

GavRedKing wrote:
    One thing that could seriously derail the 3-4-3 is injuries, outside the starting XI thats played the last 4 league games, the bench doesnt overly fill me with confidence. We've no natural back up LWB in the senior side and outside of Kante and Matic, I dont think Conte trusts the other CMs other than Chalobah it seems.

Interesting, has Chalobah moved above Cesc in the pecking order?

Interesting, has Chalobah moved above Cesc in the pecking order?

We'll have to wait until Cesc is fit and able to play.

I think MVG might get a shot at CM too if he comes back fit in the coming weeks.

EDIT : Mikel is another option but if Chalobah get smore minutes, I'd be delighted.

Another thing that we're going to have to try out is someone at RWB when Moses goes to the ACON with Nigeria for a few weeks.

Pedro or Willian seems like clear choices or even Azp but Ivan coming on against Southampton for a few mins to play RWB isnt a good sign. :o

We've no natural back up LWB in the senior side and outside of Kante and Matic, I dont think Conte trusts the other CMs other than Chalobah it seems.

Wish we still had Kenedy to cover for this

Wish we still had Kenedy to cover for this

Or luis or Rahman :pac:

GavRedKing wrote:
    Pedro or Willian seems like clear choices or even Azp but Ivan coming on against Southampton for a few mins to play RWB isnt a good sign.

Don't say that! Willian is ideal, has all the attributes Moses has really.

• Advertisement

I think thats why Conte is playing Matic and Kante over Cesc, both are better with their back to play and a hard press, neither posses Cesc ability to find a pass but hes slower than both and not as physical and because of that, both CMs are comfortable enough coming short to receive a ball under pressure.

The Southampton game also showed that the team seems to be very well drilled that during the first half, Saints had something like 70% of the ball but didnt create anything, as long as the out ball and hold up play by the front 3 is sufficient, we might get away with it even playing a high and hard pressing team.

It will face tougher tests than it already has thats for sure but its moving in the right direction anyway IMO.

Batshuayi seriously needs game time but in Costas form, you cant drop him.

To be fair, every team becomes fundamentally different with injuries to key players. Matic and Kante are excellent in their current positions and I really hope they both remain injury free for ye.

Cannot see Cesc being a primary driver in that side. Cesc is good in possession play and playing penetrating passes. In dynamic direct transitions he's just not quick enough to drive the play and defensively's he's never been strong. Arsenal or City are probably only the two top tier clubs that currently could accommodate him and get some significant value in return.

Times I've watched Willian play where he's absolutely botched counter potentials. Pedro and Hazard have botched some too but the key difference being they usually botch the of execution the pass or the run, not the actual choice of the run or pass. The choice they usually make is a sound one. Conte seems to a coach that prefer systems to ability. So Willian may actually find himself falling out of favour of the coach.

I think we've got 3 viable options to replace Moses and thats Willian, Pedro or Azp, with Azp, he doesnt have the attacking qualities to be a proper RWB, as a defensive FB hes exceptional but Moses, Pedro or Willian all are much better in every aspect going forward.

Actually a right sided flank of Pedro RW, Willian RWB and Azp RCB would be pretty good.

I hope Ivan, Zouma and JT are being kept in reserve to play as CBs and saying that, Ivan and JT could be gone next summer, paving the way for Christensen to come back into the fold.

I've been very impressed by Luiz too, the CB of a 3 man back line really suits him and his ability to carry the ball out and find a pass and hes leading the line too, Cahill is 3rd choice captain in JT and Ivans absence but Luiz is more than capable of leading this side too, its like hes never been away but hes more defensively sound now with some Conte coaching, also the tactics and formation are helping him and reaping rewards.

Turtwig wrote: »
    Times I've watched Willian play where he's absolutely botched counter potentials. Pedro and Hazard have botched some too but the key difference being they usually botch the of execution the pass or the run, not the actual choice of the run or pass. The choice they usually make is a sound one. Conte seems to a coach that prefer systems to ability. So Willian may actually find himself falling out of favour of the coach.

You're right, his decision making and final pass or shot is often found wanting.

His ball carrying and speed on the counter is nearly unparalleled in the league but his output is very hit or miss.

Now that was kind of my point earlier, our squad has the balance to play 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 easily but take a few players out and the 3-4-3 could be very hard to field, Oscar has no real place in this side either, not good enough for a 2 man CM, IMO and not good enoug for a wide attacking berth.

There is no silver bullet. A bit of clearout in summer and Conte gets more of the player he wants to fulfill his vision and you guys should have no problem building up some depth. Also, I know they have MSN but look at Barca from a rotation of mainly 13 players last season they won a domestic double. A solid spine can do wonders. Ye appear to have that now.

We just need a Messi, Neymar, Suarez and Busquets and we're sorted. :o

I think the summer will see more players suited to Contes line up, I dont think we got enough of his targets this summer, maybe only Alonso and its debtable to how far up the list he was for the LB/LWB role.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

I wonder how close Todd Kane is to a return he could be excellent cover for Moses, that game would suite him down to the ground I think.

Saints away was a difficult test they are a decent team anywhere but more so at St. Mary's a 0-2 win there is not to be scoffed at. Next 4 games will be interesting a sticky game on Saturday, followed by a resilient 'Boro away before Spurs and City back to back. Toward the end of that list Happy and MVG should be available for first team but much as I dont trust Cahill you cannot drop him after 4 clean sheets on the trot - that and actually playing OK as well.

Costa's discipline over the past few games has been excellent - no doubt Conte has got into his head. That said I would not be overly disappointed to see him booked against Everton we will need him against Spurs and City. The Batman has not got the the pace of the league yet (in fairness not had much chance) all the more reason to see Costa not banned.

Costa's discipline over the past few games has been excellent - no doubt Conte has got into his head. That said I would not be overly disappointed to see him booked against Everton we will need him against Spurs and City. The Batman has not got the the pace of the league yet (in fairness not had much chance) all the more reason to see Costa not banned.

Harsh on Batshuayi I think... scored very important goals early on in the season. I've been impressed by him

The U23s are using a variation of Contes 3-4-3 too at the moment so anyone looking to get into the first team will have an easier time of it.

Handy for Zouma and MVG.

Kane should be back shortly and is a viable option at RWB.

Baker is doing very well too in Holland so I wonder will he be given a shot eventually.

Hazard PFA player of the month

Well deserved from Hazard, could have easily been Costa too.

• Advertisement

Well deserved from Hazard, could have easily been Costa too.
    Wasn't even nominated :/

The main POTM award is handed out friday.

Hazard won the fans award.

The main POTM award is handed out friday.

Hazard won the fans award.

Yeah the PFA is the fans one with the players selected by panel.

The Premier League POTM is on Friday.

Hopefully Costa, Hazard, Kante, Matic or Luiz get's it. (I can't find the nominations, but honestly I think any of those fellas deserve one, there is normally 4 and I don' know if 2 can get selected from the same club).

Lukker- wrote: »
    Yeah the PFA is the fans one with the players selected by panel.

The Premier League POTM is on Friday.

Hopefully Costa, Hazard, Kante, Matic or Luiz get's it. (I can't find the nominations, but honestly I think any of those fellas deserve one, there is normally 4 and I don' know if 2 can get selected from the same club).

As long as we continue to win games the personal awards arent that important, main ones are handed out in May anyway.

Its good though that the teams good spell is being recognised.

The season Jose won the league in 2014/15, after 10 games we had :

26 points, 8 wins and 2 draws.
    26 goals for, 10 goals against, goal difference of 16
    3 Clean sheets
    Top scorer : Costa - 9
    Position : 1st

This time around

22 points, 7wins, 1 draw and 2 losses.
    21 goals for, 9 goals against, goal difference of 12
    5 Clean sheets
    Top scorer : Costa - 8
    Position : 4th

We're going in the right direction anyway after last year. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

The season Jose won the league in 2014/15, after 10 games we had :

26 points, 8 wins and 2 draws.
    26 goals for, 10 goals against, goal difference of 16
    3 Clean sheets
    Top scorer : Costa - 9
    Position : 1st

This time around

22 points, 7wins, 1 draw and 2 losses.
    21 goals for, 9 goals against, goal difference of 12
    5 Clean sheets
    Top scorer : Costa - 8
    Position : 4th

We're going in the right direction anyway after last year. :o

last season it was January by the time we had 22 points

peteeeed wrote: »
    last season it was January by the time we had 22 points

What a time to be alive. :o

What a time to be alive. :o

Less shame

Just looking back at the thread and the first few posts are from the Southmapton game at the Bridge last year that we lost 3-1.

Its been a rollercoaster 12months, with more lows than highs but we look o be getting back to a more stable position at the moment, thats a good sign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Just looking back at the thread and the first few posts are from the Southmapton game at the Bridge last year that we lost 3-1.

Its been a rollercoaster 12months, with more lows than highs but we look o be getting back to a more stable position at the moment, thats a good sign.

That was a crushing game to be at -_- Pelle of all people made a mockery of us.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement