Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

What id like to know is How Jose can justify having over 30 players out on loan while sitting 16th in the league.

RA must have this on his mind where his first team cant win and the rest of the team dont even play for the club

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

Lukker- wrote: »
    I think we could have played for 3 or 4 hours and not scored from open play, we've been relying on Willian's free kicks all season. Something needs to change, I've a feeling it will probably be Mourinho.

Most of your key players are small, except Costa, a bully, who's easily diminished when his marker, or even the opposition crowd, stand up to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

I'd hate to be any of the guys calling that an assault spend a Saturday night in a busy nightclub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,632 ✭✭✭✭Sand

kev1.3s wrote: »
    I'd hate to be any of the guys calling that an assault spend a Saturday night in a busy nightclub.

It is pathetic from the steward, but its the sort of gamesmanship a "warrior" like Costa practises. So my sympathy for Costa is limited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

delaad wrote: »
    Most of your key players are small, except Costa, a bully, who's easily diminished when his marker, or even the opposition crowd, stand up to him.

Thats an interesting point.
    So by size, what is John Terry?
    What s Ivan?
    What is Courtois?
    What is ....

never mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Sand wrote: »
    It is pathetic from the steward, but its the sort of gamesmanship a "warrior" like Costa practises. So my sympathy for Costa is limited.

I can appreciate that point, there's so much not to like.
    He can't be proven guilty just because he's a bit of a wanker tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Leroy42 wrote: »
    While Mourinho is certainly struggling, this isn't exactly the 1st time that the players have stopped playing for a manager (albeit this time is much worse than before).

Getting rid of Mour is pretty academic at this point. I think he wants out. RA has gone back to meddling like the previous time, something I presume was agreed wouldn't be done for Mour to come back. He sold Cech to Arsenal, clearly against his wishes. Pedro wasn't a Mour buy and none of the targets he asked for were delivered

JT also has a lot to answer. He has always been the main voice in the dressing room so if their was a mutiny then he is the man leading it, or at best not stopping it.

The Costa incident. OK, nothing in it really, but why even get involved? Chelsea just seem a team more intent of proving that everyone is against them rather than just getting on with winning matches.

Think you are right here. Why doesn't the Russian just save himself the compo money he's lashed out over the years and go manage the team himself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,632 ✭✭✭✭Sand

kev1.3s wrote: »
    I can appreciate that point, there's so much not to like.
    He can't be proven guilty just because he's a bit of a wanker tho.

True - I expect the whole thing to be laughed out of court.

But Costa certainly doesn't get any sympathy from me when it comes to an opponent theatrically playing for a card or trying to wind up an opponent. If it was an honest or simply ordinary player, sure, I would sympathise. I think Hazard was the victim of some ball boy being a dick in a similar case a year or two ago. But for Costa, nah. Its a ridiculous case, but whatever inconvenience it causes couldn't happen to a more deserving player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I rested my head on a pillow last night.

It reported me for assault..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Turns out it wasn't just a rumour and Jose did shout comments about Wenger in the refs changing room at West Ham.

Astoundingly immature stuff. Hopefully he can at the minimum cut this sh1t out and take defeats/decisions like a grown up.

You'd get the feeling that as long as he's on the attack against medical teams, refs, unrelated managers etc, and getting sent from the stands/banned from the stadium, Chelsea won't turn this around. Sort the team out, don't worry about the rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

One should never underestimate how bitter and twisted the people of Stoke are/can be

Horrible, horrible place

Bit OTT no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

cadaliac wrote: »
    Thats an interesting point.
    So by size, what is John Terry?
    What s Ivan?
    What is Courtois?
    What is ....

never mind.

Defensive players is what they are.

I presume you were just trying to be "hilarious" here? In fairness to the OP he highlighted Costa your most offensive player. Its not that hard to figure out he was most likely refering to the likes of Oscar, Hazard, Willian & Pedro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

delaad wrote: »
    Begovic 6ft 6in
    Dave azp 5ft 10in
    Zouma 6ft 3in
    Terry 6ft 1.5in
    Rahman 5ft 10in
    Ramires 5ft 11in
    Matic 6ft 4in
    Costa 6ft 2in
    Willian 5ft 9in
    Hazard 5ft 8in
    Pedro 5ft 5in

Remy 6ft 1in
    Oscar 5ft 10in
    Cesc 5ft 9in

Oh so you mean Pedro.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Terry is definitely backing Mourinho but he is probably one of only a few left. He doesn't have the same influence in the dressing room anymore. I think Oscar, Matic, Hazard, Costa, Fabregas have all stopped playing for him to an extent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭phobia2011

Garzorico wrote:
    I believe you may be right, he just wants out. Give BRog a chance.

Nearly vomited.....!!!!!!!!?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

Arsenal will sit on top of the table later, I feel sick ..

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

It's all very melodramatic in here. José isn't going anywhere, imo. It'd be utter madness to sack the man.

It seems to me that what's happened is that the everyone in the team thought we'd only have to show up this season to win the league and when the first few results were poor, the confidence took a blow and we've been battling that ever since. What started with over-confidence has very quickly turned into a shocking loss of confidence. There have been a couple of false dawns as well. When we beat Arsenal, we thought "here we go". Same vs. Villa and maybe even midweek last week.

The thing that keeps knocking us back is the likes of last night where we played well and came away with a loss. Objectively, you can say there are positives, green shoots, and some players looking like their season might be about to kick off. The subjective reality of playing in that team now though is that last night's result and others like it this season are hard to stomach.

Unless Roman knows of some miracle-worker (other than José!), someone who can motivate a group who are that downbeat back to winning ways overnight, best of luck to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Seems like up front is a major problem for Chelsea. In retrospect was Mourinhos punt on Falcao a mistake (seemed odd from day 1 to a lot of people) or are people still giving Falcao time to come good ? You would imagine that Falcao was more Mou than Roman given Mou and Mendez close relationship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Seems like up front is a major problem for Chelsea. In retrospect was Mourinhos punt on Falcao a mistake (seemed odd from day 1 to a lot of people) or are people still giving Falcao time to come good ? You would imagine that Falcao was more Mou than Roman given Mou and Mendez close relationship.
    Falco is finished, he never recovered fully from injury, imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Jesus, the rest of them are giving us every chance to catch up anyway, fair play to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Essien wrote: »
    Jesus, the rest of them are giving us every chance to catch up anyway, fair play to them.

Waaaaaaay too late to do it, anytime anyone has slipped up and dropped points we've managed to shoot ourselves in both feet.

You know your team are playing s**t when the national team is relief from mediocrity. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

interesting that jose and all his backroom staff went to watch the u-21's win 4-0 against liverpool yesterday

GavRedKing wrote: »
    You know your team are playing s**t when the national team is relief from mediocrity. :o

Lol!
    Thanks , I really did have a chuckle at that !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

peteeeed wrote: »
    interesting that jose and all his backroom staff went to watch the u-21's win 4-0 against liverpool yesterday

Tired of watching sh/te from our senior team probanly :/ Hopefully they took the first team squad with them to remind them what winning looks like!

Theres a good couple from that U21 side that should be involved or starting for the senior side IMO.

The senior squad isnt cutting the mustard at the moment.

The starting XI was :
    Jamal Blackman;
    Ola Aina, Fikayo Tomori, Dion Conroy, Jay Dasilva;
    Charlie Colkett (c), Kyle Scott;
    Bertrand Traore, Ruben Loftus-Cheek, Charly Musonda;
    Tammy Abraham

Musonda, RLC, Traore are all good enough for 1st team football IMO.

Even Abraham would be a better fit than any CF we have currently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Theres a good couple from that U21 side that should be involved or starting for the senior side IMO.

The starting XI was :
    Jamal Blackman;
    Tammy Abraham

Musonda, RLC, Traore are all good enough for 1st team football IMO.

Even Abraham would be a better fit than any CF we have currently.
    for me the best player in the u-21's is Ola Aina , tall, quick, good in the tackle and very good going forward

peteeeed wrote: »
    for me the best player in the u-21's is Ola Aina , tall, quick, good in the tackle and very good going forward

Problem is hes probably considered 5th choice RB for the 1st team with Ivan, Azp, Zouma and Ramires all ahead of him.

Theres certainly talent in the group anyway and thats before we even talk about guys like Solanke, Brown and Nathan who are all away with Vitesse.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

gosplan wrote: »
    Turns out it wasn't just a rumour and Jose did shout comments about Wenger in the refs changing room at West Ham.

Astoundingly immature stuff. Hopefully he can at the minimum cut this sh1t out and take defeats/decisions like a grown up.

You'd get the feeling that as long as he's on the attack against medical teams, refs, unrelated managers etc, and getting sent from the stands/banned from the stadium, Chelsea won't turn this around. Sort the team out, don't worry about the rest.

He referenced Wenger by saying "Wenger was right you are soft" to the ref. That is well known and old news not sure what it brings to the table now. I would have thought you would have been delighted that he suggested Wenger was right by way of a change. Wenger as we know is a genius I mean letting the team stroll around on Wednesday against Munich to keep them fresh for Spurs on Sunday ... how did that go? At least that is what I read somewhere :D

Dont hear much about the Giroud assault on the Spurs defender yesterday, only counts when its Chelsea does it??????

The starting XI was :
    Jamal Blackman;
    Tammy Abraham

Musonda, RLC, Traore are all good enough for 1st team football IMO. Even Abraham would be a better fit than any CF we have currently
    Interesting that Jose was at the Liverpool match yesterday

http://www.chelsea.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=558843

RLC, Traore and Charly are definitely worth a run, Abraham cannot be worse than Costa so why not really.

• Advertisement

Charlie Colkett is a cracking player. Much less noise about him but hes the heart beat of the u21s. Like a deep lying Scholes.

I think Colkett make end up like Jon Swift, a good prospect but probably better off dropping down a few levels and playing games before getting a crack at the big time.

Actually, another shout for that penalty on Remy, still dont know how it wasnt given. :confused:

Players are pillared for going to easy but when you try and avoid contact to score only to be out off a tap in to an empty net, surely it should have been brought back, there was no advantage to an off balance Remy after being forced away from goal after Butlands trip.

I'm not expecting much from refs though, the vast majority of them are tripe.

Seems Jose was at Cobham yesterday so maybe he might think about it.

Fergie proved you have the right kids you can win lots of things, but not sure Jose has the nerve

Seems Jose was at Cobham yesterday so maybe he might think about it.

Fergie proved you have the right kids you can win lots of things, but not sure Jose has the nerve

Theres so many potential issues and conflicts within the squad behind the scenes that it has to be a combination of issues thats effecting the squad.

Its impossible, from the outside to pinpoint 1 single factor and I dont think there is a quick fix either.

The glaring issues though are and its football basics we're leaving in too many goals right now. Couple that with our inabaility to score from open play and if this was a team like Villa, Newcastle, Sunderland or those kind of dross teams we'd be talking about being worried about the drop.

If we cant keep clean sheets and everyone of the attacking talents cant muster goals from open play we're screwed basically.

Theres been a marked improvement in some individual performers over the last few weeks thats good, we can keep the ball pretty easily when we need too, another positive, on the counter, while we lack a cutting edge we're still athreat, again another positive, now this is where it gets tricky, the defending has by and whole improved from set pieces, we're not leaving in goals from frees or corners as easily but our open play defending is still comical.

While we're scoring goals, theyre all penalties or free kicks, we're creating chances from open play but we're not hitting the target enough.

Had we put away the chances we had against stoke in both games we'd have won both games by about 3 clear goals, its not just Costa whos not playing well its pretty much everyone of the attacking players, although the league game against Stoke did feature goal bound shots narrowly flicked wide and pedro clipping the post.

Our next 4 home games arent too bad but our next 4 away games are tough.

Theres too many next week we'll do it posts, 4th is gone and along with it I hope we now finish 7th and keep Jose, Europa League is somewhere I'd rather avoid anyway.

Actually, another shout for that penalty on Remy, still dont know how it wasnt given. :confused:

Players are pillared for going to easy but when you try and avoid contact to score only to be out off a tap in to an empty net, surely it should have been brought back, there was no advantage to an off balance Remy after being forced away from goal after Butlands trip.

I'm not expecting much from refs though, the vast majority of them are tripe.

With us it is very much a case you are damned if you do and damned if you don't. I remember a few years back Gerrard got a penalty for Liverpool against Sheffield United IIRC where there was no contact but the ref gave for intent as it put Gerrard off (shot went wide).
    It seems to me you cannot pillar players for diving or exaggeration if they are not going to get the rub of the green anyway. It is perhaps as well Jose was not at the ground.

With us it is very much a case you are damned if you do and damned if you don't. I remember a few years back Gerrard got a penalty for Liverpool against Sheffield United IIRC where there was no contact but the ref gave for intent as it put Gerrard off (shot went wide).

It seems to me you cannot pillar players for diving or exaggeration if they are not going to get the rub of the green anyway. It is perhaps as well Jose was not at the ground.

I wonder did any TVs get thrown through a hotel window around Stoke that evening?

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

Remy wouldnt have had to dive at all and not even "leave a leg in". Fair play to him for going for it but I also agree it should have been a penalty anyway.

ronjo wrote: »
    Remy wouldnt have had to dive at all and not even "leave a leg in". Fair play to him for going for it but I also agree it should have been a penalty anyway.

Indeed it should be that players are encouraged to stay on their feet and simply they are not

• Advertisement

Indeed it should be that players are encouraged to stay on their feet and simply they are not

Yes exactly.

WTF was Costa at with Shawcross though? Again it seems like he is getting sidetracked every single game with petty fights instead of doing what he does best.

Think Chelsea would consider going back for someone like Lewandowski in January (maybe bad example due to availability) and getting shot of him?

Costa is way to easily distracted and what should be a major advantage for us is quickly turning into a major disadvantage.

I would bench him just to let him know that no goals means no games and nobody is beyond that.

Costa is way to easily distracted and what should be a major advantage for us is quickly turning into a major disadvantage.

I would bench him just to let him know that no goals means no games and nobody is beyond that.

Are opposition defenders dealing differently with him this season or is just down to the overall malaise?

Are opposition defenders dealing differently with him this season or is just down to the overall malaise?

In fairness his record in the second half of last season was not great.

Not sure it is that he has been sussed think more he is not using his qualities correctly he is as you say so easily sidetracked. He is a big strong lad with decent pace so why is he fighting and falling over all the time - there is a place for having a pop as you have to stand your ground but the key is pick the time and that certainly is not all the time.

Also why does he get dragged out to the wings so much meaning there is no target man in the middle, we have Willian, Oscar, Cesc, Kenedy, traore even Oscar and Ram to do that. He does not have the skill level to do that yet he often turns up on the wings and then just runs into someone. Stay in the middle and the CB's have to look after you.

Bit of both. We weren't pressed as much last season. So the attackers had time and space to pass it around and Costa could be a focal point/fox in the box.

This year teams push us high up the pitch because they know there is a mistake in us and we're nervous, he tries to take pressure of the attacking mids and make space by pulling wide. Only problem is he can't dribble/hold the ball up/lay it off very well this season and no one else is making central runs into the box so it's all in vein. At least with Remy the other day Fabregas/Oscar had someone to try and pick out instead of playing a game of keep the ball around the opposition box.

Its easy to nullify Costa it seems, just follow him around and try beat him up, hes going go looking for revenge and maybe score, a big strong decent CB will keep check on him for most of the game.

He had a decent chance against Stoke but Butland made a good save with his feet but it was more liek the old Cost of making the space and shooting.

The easy analysis is that hes being too involved in the build up play but he was as invovled last year as he is this tear, its just when it came to the final ball into the box he was either in the right areas or he pulled out and was found with passes.

None of which is happening this year so everything is disjointed, it should eventually work itself out but it wont be until Nov ember 21st before we get a chance to work it all out, we've Norwich at home, 12months ago I'd have said a banker 2/3-0 win, now, I'd be happy with any win at any cost because we're not finishing well enough nor are we defending solidly enough.

I really hnope we win our UCL group as if we play someone like Bayern/Barca/Real we'll get absolutely murdered by them, althoug we could get a situation like last year where we finish top in get the hardest draw possible and pull PSG.

• Advertisement

Thing is when he is central he will pull defenders with him, they simply have to follow and this can leave room for others. He does not have the skill set to take on players and beat them but in a footrace with a CB he always has a chance, it is really frustrating watching him get the ball and basically run into a defender trying to go past them.

Thing is when he is central he will pull defenders with him, they simply have to follow and this can leave room for others. He does not have the skill set to take on players and beat them but in a footrace with a CB he always has a chance, it is really frustrating watching him get the ball and basically run into a defender trying to go past them.

Sign Messi, avoid relegation, play Stoke next year, watch Charlie Adam kick him into retirement.

:pac:

Sign Messi, avoid relegation, play Stoke next year, watch Charlie Adam kick him into retirement.

:pac:

I know you´re not being serious, but out of interest, do you (anyone) think Messi will ever kick a ball for another club ?

I know you´re not being serious, but out of interest, do you (anyone) think Messi will ever kick a ball for another club ?

Maybe at about 35 or 36 for a year or two but it will probably be somewhere where the money is mad or the culture is different.

So either middle east/china or USA, although I wouldnt rule out a return to Argentina, so basically I'm covering mysell with my choices. :pac:

I dont think he'll ever play for another European side though.

Moyes sacked be some crack if he replaced Jose after supposedly taking his job at UTd too. :pac:

......I better not joke about that actually. :o

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement