Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

What the actual fcuk has happened to Costa?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,752 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Essien wrote: »
    What the actual fcuk has happened to Costa?

Hasn't been good in a year, there i said it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

His movement is terrible. Why won't he make runs into the 6 yard box? Whenever someone is running the line he hangs around the edge of the box. FFS like we need more players outside the box, just make a run you lazy pr*ck.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

And again....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

He shoots he scores

Finally, he made hard work of it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

We need a second here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Saadyst

I hope that one goal doesn't cover over the rest of the issues with Costas performance in general

It doesn't but hopefully he can build on it.

Solid performance overall, we need to be more clinical though. It takes us about 15 decent chances to score.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Win's a win!

• Advertisement

Totally dominant performance today , only one goal though and a clean sheet. Cesc is looking a lot better.

We're gonna win the league.

Things are looking up boys! Up to 15th! WooooOoOo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

Lukker- wrote: »
    Things are looking up boys! Up to 15th! WooooOoOo

bit by bit ....

a bit of a run, and by Christmas top half of the table hopefully ....

then by march , top 6..... battle for top 4 for end of season,

its all RELATIVE!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

Hazard, Cesc, Brana and especially Matic playing like men re-born. Or at the very least playing with a bit of conviction. Look a different class than what's gone before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,781 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Barr wrote: »
    Totally dominant performance today , only one goal though and a clean sheet. Cesc is looking a lot better.

I wouldn't be counting on Cesc being back just yet, Norwich just sat back and gave him serious time on the ball to do his thing. Spurs with their pressing will be a good measure of whether Cesc is back in good form

We aren't far off. Hazard was excellent and Fabregas looked a bit more like his old self, pulled the strings for most of the game. We just need Costa and the attacking players to add more goals.

bit by bit ....

a bit of a run, and by Christmas top half of the table hopefully ....

then by march , top 6..... battle for top 4 for end of season,

its all RELATIVE!!!

Who are you, and what have you done with the real cowboyBuilder? :)

The difference today is when Chelsea went a goal up they took control and were not afraid to play the ball.

Too often this season they look like a bag of nerves when they take the lead. Hopefully turned the corner today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Costa could have had a hat trick today if he'd bothered to run onto the two crosses that hazard put in.

The gaps to the teams we need to catch are not insurmountable. A win against Spurs would be huge, then that's followed by a string of very winnable games.

The gaps to the teams we need to catch are not insurmountable. A win against Spurs would be huge, then that's followed by a string of very winnable games.

I was just thinking the same, can't see a title shot but if we've turned the corner I'm not writing off a top 4 finish. But as the podcast I was listening to said every time we turn a corner we stand on a rake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,781 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

kev1.3s wrote: »
    I was just thinking the same, can't see a title shot but if we've turned the corner I'm not writing off a top 4 finish. But as the podcast I was listening to said every time we turn a corner we stand on a rake.

Fecking rakes, thought we got rid of Sideshow Bob

Who are you, and what have you done with the real cowboyBuilder? :)

It's ironic isn't it , when chels do well in negative , and doing badly I'm positive , you could say I'm acting the monkey here .....

*whistles ...

No posts in 24 hours. Is everyone still in shock that we won a game?

• Advertisement

Spurs next week is gonna be a tough game. I'd probably take a draw considering we are travelling to Israel midweek.

They are the type of team that have caused us problems this season. High pressure, plenty of runners, 1 or 2 players with good technical ability and Kane who will punish any defensive mistakes.

It'd be a statement if we beat them but I don't see it happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

They'll be without Alli, a big loss for Spurs.

In fairness they looked pretty hot today.

kev1.3s wrote: »
    In fairness they looked pretty hot today.

Top four no bother this year I reckon.

Top four no bother this year I reckon.

At our expense unfortunately is say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Israel is a decent travel schedule but where back Wednesday, Spurs have a huge distance, theyre going to Azerbijan on Thursday night ao wont be back until Friday morning we'll have a full 2 days rest more than them and the game is on early Sunday, even though theyll probably rest a good lot of the squad, its still a big ask to play with that intensity on sunday morning.

Im confident of a draw anyway. :)

Israel is a decent travel schedule but where back Wednesday, Spurs have a huge distance, theyre going to Azerbijan on Thursday night ao wont be back until Friday morning we'll have a full 2 days rest more than them and the game is on early Sunday, even though theyll probably rest a good lot of the squad, its still a big ask to play with that intensity on sunday morning.

Im confident of a draw anyway. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

If chelsea sort their **** out, i dont see why they can make a late run for the title. The league is crazy this year, its really up for grabs.

niallo27 wrote: »
    If chelsea sort their **** out, i dont see why they can make a late run for the title. The league is crazy this year, its really up for grabs.

Agree niallo, mad league so far, wide open but realistically Chelsea don't look anywhere near sorting their sh#t out!

Nah, no hope of a title run. We'd really have to win probably every game we've got left and maybe deop 6pts at most in the next 24 games, not possible IMO.

If we drop 6pts in 24 games it gives us 66 pts including the 14 we have giving us 80, not sure what the lowest winning pts total was but i reckon its still higher than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,668 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Nah, no hope of a title run. We'd really have to win probably every game we've got left and maybe deop 6pts at most in the next 24 games, not possible IMO.

If we drop 6pts in 24 games it gives us 66 pts including the 14 we have giving us 80, not sure what the lowest winning pts total was but i reckon its still higher than that.

75, Man United back 96-97 season, wiki tells me.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

75, Man United back 96-97 season, wiki tells me.

So we can drop at most 11pts and hope everyone else is as useless as we've been for about 7 or 8 games at a time?

no hope. :o

Well everyone else has been fairly crap, or at least nobody has been consistently good. So the league winners will have a relatively low total, we can be pretty confident of that much at least.

That's surely a bridge to far for us, though I would expect us to get back into the hunt for fourth.

Well everyone else has been fairly crap, or at least nobody has been consistently good. So the league winners will have a relatively low total, we can be pretty confident of that much at least.

That's surely a bridge to far for us, though I would expect us to get back into the hunt for fourth.

Utd have been grinding out wins. Of all the top sides they look more likely in the long haul as I dont think Pool will do it and City are a mixed bag if I ever seen it, ditto for Arsenal actually.

In sying that, if we finished top 4 after our start, I'd celebrate it as much as a title win being honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

niallo27 wrote: »

The league isn't really crazy, Leicester have had good fixtures, they have United, Chelsea, Everton, Liverpool, City and Spurs in the next 8 they will drop. If you take out Leicester it's United, City who have been without Aguero and Silva, Arsenal and Spurs. Pretty normal

I said Chelsea could get top 4 but Spurs look good, title challenge is madness when looking at the numbers. Before Christmas last year Chelsea were playing as good as I've ever seen and even then they managed under 2.5 points per game. If they somehow miraculously achieved that ppg in the remaining matches they end up on 76 points. So City would have to drop over 25 points, United over 26

• Advertisement

Another big game Tuesday anyway, performance was improved again against Norwich and we managed a win and clean sheet, two rare occurences for us this year. :o

Its likely that we'll win in Tel Aviv and Porto will beat Kyiv at home this week, meaning that the last group, Chelsea v Porto will be to see who tops the group, a draw or win for Porto sees them finish top while any Chelsea victory by 2 clear goals will definetly see us top the group.

If we beat them 2-1 and its a draw on head to head, it will go down to I think the most goals scored and as it stands it is Chelsea on 7 and Porto on 9.

First things first though, beat Macabi Tel Aviv and then we can worry about the last grup game, Kyiv taking any points off Porto would be huge for us and they themselves can still qualify if they beat Porto and Macabi and we also beat Macabi and Porto.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Any talk of Chelsea winning the league is just fodder really there is zero chance - United have been very resilient for certain you can achieve a lot with a tight defence. I don't know what to make of City with that squad I just could not see past them for the league odd, still as it is not coming to the Bridge lets all hope its stays in Manchester. Kloop doing well at Liverpool too he annoys so much me he is such a cool guy you really have to like him.

Big game tomorrow bit of a distance to travel would say security will be interesting, a win with a favourable result in the Porto Kiev game and that's the CL boxed away until February and might just give us the push we need to start performing in the league. We can (just) still make top 4 but the messing about has to stop and Spurs look really good at the minute (much as it pains me to say it) so next weekend is going to be tough for us but if we want to be a big team we have to win big games.

baby steps ..... right now we are looking at top 6 ... thats 7 pts ahead , not a million miles away,

couple of wins in a row and then we can look at top 4.

one win at a time - every time :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Really was baby steps at the weekend anyway. The 3 points were nice but the same problems were there for the whole game. Still, another couple of wins and we'll be pointing in the right direction regardless of performances...

hots wrote: »
    Really was baby steps at the weekend anyway. The 3 points were nice but the same problems were there for the whole game. Still, another couple of wins and we'll be pointing in the right direction regardless of performances...

In fairness we played a lot better, we were unlucky not to win be 2 or 3...

The big issue is we're creating chances but not taking them, the game, having watched it back, had it finished with us winning by 2 or 3 clear goals would have been a fair reflection of how we played, IMO.

Still, any win right now to settle nerves is pretty good and especially after international week.

Spurs are unbeaten in 12 league games which equals a club record for them which is very good going by anyones standards really and I'm not expecting us to beat them on Sunday but strangers things have happened. I dont think we'll be as niave as the 5-3 game anyway and that was reflected in the performance in the Capital 1 cup final where we pretty much dominated apart from Kane hitting the bar at 0-0.

After Spurs our next set of fixtures makes for decent enough viewing, on paper at least, we've got :

Bournemouth (h)
    Leicester (a)
    Sunderland (h)
    Watford (h)

Thats not entirely bad, you'd have to say you'd expect to pick up 10pts from those games if we manage to turn up so theres a chance to pick up some points, thats beofre 2 huge away trips to Old Trafford and Selhurst Park.

The big issue is we're creating chances but not taking them, the game, having watched it back, had it finished with us winning by 2 or 3 clear goals would have been a fair reflection of how we played, IMO.

Still, any win right now to settle nerves is pretty good and especially after international week.

Spurs are unbeaten in 12 league games which equals a club record for them which is very good going by anyones standards really and I'm not expecting us to beat them on Sunday but strangers things have happened. I dont think we'll be as niave as the 5-3 game anyway and that was reflected in the performance in the Capital 1 cup final where we pretty much dominated apart from Kane hitting the bar at 0-0.

After Spurs our next set of fixtures makes for decent enough viewing, on paper at least, we've got :

Bournemouth (h)
    Leicester (a)
    Sunderland (h)
    Watford (h)

Thats not entirely bad, you'd have to say you'd expect to pick up 10pts from those games if we manage to turn up so theres a chance to pick up some points, thats beofre 2 huge away trips to Old Trafford and Selhurst Park.

Had a huge response typed out and fecking boards crashed. :mad:

Anyway, after Spurs we've got 4 very winnable games,

Bournemouth, Leciester, Sunderland and Watford, after them we've got Utd and Palace away, that brings us up to the end of the year in the league.

In the next 7 games we should be aiming for at least 15pts IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,668 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Had a huge response typed out and fecking boards crashed. :mad:

Anyway, after Spurs we've got 4 very winnable games,

Bournemouth, Leciester, Sunderland and Watford, after them we've got Utd and Palace away, that brings us up to the end of the year in the league.

In the next 7 games we should be aiming for at least 15pts IMO.

Your problem there is that everyone has a reasonably comfy fixture list up until the new year.

Spurs only have to ply you guys,
    United only have to play you guys
    City only have to play Arsenal

Liverpool and Spurs don't play any of the traditional condenders 6/7 for a while after next weekend.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement

Your problem there is that everyone has a reasonably comfy fixture list up until the new year.

Spurs only have to ply you guys,
    United only have to play you guys
    City only have to play Arsenal

Liverpool and Spurs don't play any of the traditional condenders 6/7 for a while after next weekend.

Its not about catching them or over taking them in the short term as I've maintened for weeks, as I dont think we'll finish top 4.

It would be good to just start winning games, we dont have to worry about those above at the moment as we're so far out of touch with them. If coming into March we're 6-9 pts behind 4th then we can start to wonder about those above us, I just want to win games and get the team playing to a level theyre capable of on a consistent basis.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement