Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,781 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Bertrand was probably the only semi decent academy product and he spent so long on loan its hard to claim him really.

He was bought at 15/16, so I wouldn't count him as a proper academy product

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,752 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Lukker- wrote: »
    to bring someone like this through since Terry.
    JT joined when he was 14

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

hots wrote: »
    Don't even joke.

:o

The ideal scenario is too have both in the strating XI. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

duploelabs wrote: »
    JT joined when he was 14

I know, point still stands though. Since Terry we haven't had a player make there way up through the under age teams and into the first team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

kev1.3s wrote: »

Wont make any news unfortunately, well, not as much as the idiots in Paris last year, if its not an English club, nobody bats an eye lid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

Bertrand was probably the only semi decent academy product and he spent so long on loan its hard to claim him really.

Is he considered a Chelsea Academy product?

symbolic wrote: »
    Is he considered a Chelsea Academy product?

Not a full academy player really, no. Didnt join the club until he was 15 and spent most of his youth being farmed around to teams to get experience.

If one player is going to make it, I'm hopeful for RLC, been with the club a long time and looks much better than those at his level but the step up to seniors is much more daunting task.

What would royaly pi*s me off is if hes sent to Vitesse or someone crap next year. I could take him spending a year at an EPL side playing 20 odd games a year but not in the dutch league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

Not a full academy player really, no. Didnt join the club until he was 15 and spent most of his youth being farmed around to teams to get experience.

And what would make someone a "full academy player"?

symbolic wrote: »
    And what would make someone a "full academy player"?

He's not really an academy player though, he only played with the youths for a year and the rest of his development was done via loans.

• Advertisement

He's not really an academy player though, he only played with the youths for a year and the rest of his development was done via loans.

Thats it, he was with Gillingham up until he was nearly 16, in truth, hes there academy player who happened to join ours and got the relevant experience on loan.

Good on him now though, hes having a good career for himself.

Hart and Kompany are apparently out for a fortnight or so for City.

If only we were in a position to captailise on this. I miss last season. :o

Guardian saying Costa has 2 weeks to prove himself or we are going to sign a replacement striker. I think we need 1 even if Costa starts scoring. A centre-back too. Will be hard to get top targets in January but we need a couple of players at least if we want to seriously push for 4th.

We've signed a training kit sponsorship deal with Carabao a thai energy drink.

No financials released yet but I'd expect it to be at least £10m a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Costa should have been dropped ages ago. Remy or Falcao should have been given chances due to the fact that Costa just isnt scoring goals and hasnt been for quite a while.

He's a goal scorer. He doesnt offer anything else. He isnt fast, he is a terrible dribbler and he doesnt hold the ball up particularly well. Hes a world class finisher. Thats what he is. And if hes not scoring, he is of no help to the team.

He had plenty of pace when we first signed him but he seems less mobile now.

His hold up play has been pretty good this season but his follow up play has been poor. I agree that he should've been dropped.

Guardian saying Costa has 2 weeks to prove himself or we are going to sign a replacement striker. I think we need 1 even if Costa starts scoring. A centre-back too. Will be hard to get top targets in January but we need a couple of players at least if we want to seriously push for 4th.

Million dollar question, who do you sign that can improve the squad and isnt UCL cup tied?

The clear answer is Stones but that isnt happening and we've already got squad fillers with Papy D not even making the bench.

I'd seriously go raiding the piggy bank in the summer to bring in a CB, tell Ivan sling his hook and keeo Kalas or re-call Christansen, I'd even go as far as selling Cahill if we get Stones as hes also HG. Would leave us with potentially,

Azp, Kalas, Zouma, JT, Stones, Rahman to go with guys like Aina, Christansen, Ake as back up.

CF is even more perplexing, I've seen rumours of Berhaino but FFS hes just Moses in disguise IMO, hes good to a degree but not good enough for the elite level but with Falcao being crooked, Remy also made of glass and Costa barely scoring something has to change.

I just dont think we'll spend in January, certainly not anything over 15-20m, I dont think theres any value there for us.

The best bit of business we could have done was get in Stones and chase Sterling, two players for the long term and Stones would have certainly started for us this year and Sterling will improve once hes playing with better players.

We've signed a training kit sponsorship deal with Carabao a thai energy drink.

No financials released yet but I'd expect it to be at least £10m a year.

Theyre the main sponsors of Reading, I knew I recognised the name from somewhere.

I wonder how much it will be, consideing Yokohama are giving 40m as a main sponsor I'd say the Carabao is a tiny fraction of that.

Still though, handy revenue stream.

New one, apparently we're interested in the Arsenal supporting, Spurs playing, Harry Kane.

:o

I'd rather burn the money then pay what Levy would want for him being honest.

• Advertisement

Million dollar question, who do you sign that can improve the squad and isnt UCL cup tied?

The clear answer is Stones but that isnt happening and we've already got squad fillers with Papy D not even making the bench.

I'd seriously go raiding the piggy bank in the summer to bring in a CB, tell Ivan sling his hook and keeo Kalas or re-call Christansen, I'd even go as far as selling Cahill if we get Stones as hes also HG. Would leave us with potentially,

Azp, Kalas, Zouma, JT, Stones, Rahman to go with guys like Aina, Christansen, Ake as back up.

CF is even more perplexing, I've seen rumours of Berhaino but FFS hes just Moses in disguise IMO, hes good to a degree but not good enough for the elite level but with Falcao being crooked, Remy also made of glass and Costa barely scoring something has to change.

I just dont think we'll spend in January, certainly not anything over 15-20m, I dont think theres any value there for us.

The best bit of business we could have done was get in Stones and chase Sterling, two players for the long term and Stones would have certainly started for us this year and Sterling will improve once hes playing with better players.

I wouldn't sell Cahill. He's been an excellent servant for the club and his level hasn't dropped. Maybe he's not good enough to be first choice but he's an excellent backup and one of the few leaders we have left. I think big part of our demise this season is lack of leaders. We're pretty much down to Terry and Ivan who both haven't been great this season. I think it's pretty hard to drag your team through bad times when you yourself aren't performing. I look forward to Tbo returning as I think he is the only one from the young crop with leadership qualities and I see him as a future captain/vice captain.

I also wouldn't obsess over if a player is CL tied or not. If we can get top targets that are cup tied and their clubs are willing to sell them then go for it. I'd expect few would though. Texeira is definitely attainable, Shaktar haven't got passed group stages. He's a #10 but he brings a hatful of goals. Berahino has been mentioned a bit and he is no doubt a striker that fits Emenalo's policy of signing players although I doubt Mou would be happy with him as a main striker. I'd love Kane, Spurs won't sell in Jan though and it'd cost £50m in summer at least. But he fits the bill and would be my dream signing.

I wouldn't sell Cahill. He's been an excellent servant for the club and his level hasn't dropped. Maybe he's not good enough to be first choice but he's an excellent backup and one of the few leaders we have left. I think big part of our demise this season is lack of leaders. We're pretty much down to Terry and Ivan who both haven't been great this season. I think it's pretty hard to drag your team through bad times when you yourself aren't performing. I look forward to Tbo returning as I think he is the only one from the young crop with leadership qualities and I see him as a future captain/vice captain.

I also wouldn't obsess over if a player is CL tied or not. If we can get top targets that are cup tied and their clubs are willing to sell them then go for it. I'd expect few would though. Texeira is definitely attainable, Shaktar haven't got passed group stages. He's a #10 but he brings a hatful of goals. Berahino has been mentioned a bit and he is no doubt a striker that fits Emenalo's policy of signing players although I doubt Mou would be happy with him as a main striker. I'd love Kane, Spurs won't sell in Jan though and it'd cost £50m in summer at least. But he fits the bill and would be my dream signing.

It really depends if we make a case for a CF and I reckon we should, Remy wont be sticking around much longer I feel and Falcao wont be signed at all.

So it leaves us with Costa, Solanke, Brown, Bamford, the latter 3 having varying success at different levels but I wouldnt be happy going into the season with 1 proven CF next year anyway.

This season is a write off, nobody expects us to get 4th so if we fail its no real big deal as we have to come back much better next season, for that reason I'd hold off on a January signing and spend in the summer but with the Euros on, players value, even guys who have a half decent tournament can go for multiple times over their true value on the back of a few goals.

I wouldnt touch Kane with a barge pole and I dont think he'll leave just yet anyway, Spurs have it good at the moment but sooner or later he'll know that coming 5th - 7th and having the odd cup run isnt really going to further his career and leave but being English, super hyped and with Levy in charge he'll go for mental money in the next 2 or 3 years to someone.

Yeah I hate dealing with Spurs but we need a homegrown spine. Solanke is our best bet if we were to promote from the academy but I'd like a spine of English players. Stones and Kane would be the dream but I'd settle for just Stones. Realistically we'll have to wait til summer to get him too. I think we should go all out for him again, early. Possibly with someone we can use as a make weight. Hate dealing with Martinez, he's the most self righteous f*cker going. You'd swear he farted febreeze the way he goes on. It's a shame because we had a good relationship with Everton when Moyes was there but that seems to have went down the drain with Bobby.

Yeah I hate dealing with Spurs but we need a homegrown spine. Solanke is our best bet if we were to promote from the academy but I'd like a spine of English players. Stones and Kane would be the dream but I'd settle for just Stones. Realistically we'll have to wait til summer to get him too. I think we should go all out for him again, early. Possibly with someone we can use as a make weight. Hate dealing with Martinez, he's the most self righteous f*cker going. You'd swear he farted febreeze the way he goes on. It's a shame because we had a good relationship with Everton when Moyes was there but that seems to have went down the drain with Bobby.

Stones and Everton both know they cant hold onto him, even if he wanted to move last summer they probably asked him for one more season as they were seriously short of CBs late in the window and even 40m wouldnt have got necessary cover for them.

If we want him we have to up the bid to probably north of 45m and do it early, because assuming hes injury free, hes going to start for England at CB in the Euros and if they do well (they wont) his price will rocket but I've no doubt he'll be gone from Everton in the next 2 years we just have to be sure that its us he ends up with and that if he does want out, to push harder this time around.

We left it too late to chase him in the summer so we've to get our business done and dusted by early August at the latest, like 2014, that allowed us to go on and win the league, another good transfer window could see us do the same and I'd take Stones as the main target.

Stones and Everton both know they cant hold onto him, even if he wanted to move last summer they probably asked him for one more season as they were seriously short of CBs late in the window and even 40m wouldnt have got necessary cover for them.

If we want him we have to up the bid to probably north of 45m and do it early, because assuming hes injury free, hes going to start for England at CB in the Euros and if they do well (they wont) his price will rocket but I've no doubt he'll be gone from Everton in the next 2 years we just have to be sure that its us he ends up with and that if he does want out, to push harder this time around.

We left it too late to chase him in the summer so we've to get our business done and dusted by early August at the latest, like 2014, that allowed us to go on and win the league, another good transfer window could see us do the same and I'd take Stones as the main target.

Yup most of all I hope we have all our ducks in a row for the start of next season. Have targets mapped out already and get them early as possible with a good pre season and we'll be flying.

But I wouldn't underestimate the power of a good January signing either. If we can pull off another Matic style signing in Jan I'll be happy.

Yup most of all I hope we have all our ducks in a row for the start of next season. Have targets mapped out already and get them early as possible with a good pre season and we'll be flying.

But I wouldn't underestimate the power of a good January signing either. If we can pull off another Matic style signing in Jan I'll be happy.

For every Matic theres a few Cuadrados, Salahs and Luizs. :pac:

I'd agree with the summer though, if we can hang onto Jose and its looking increasingly likely, that'll be the best business we could do.

Let him make his decisions and if by September/October next season we're as bad, then the board can talk about getting rid of him as he would hopefully have had a transfer window to sell and buy the players he wants.

• Advertisement

Strong line-up from Spurs tonight.

Ya, super strong, about 7 or 8 of those guys shoudl be starting Sunday.

Is it bad form to hope they pick up a few niggley injuries like we have. :o

Ya, super strong, about 7 or 8 of those guys shoudl be starting Sunday.

Is it bad form to hope they pick up a few niggley injuries like we have. :o

No and a red card too wouldn't be too bad so they are run ragged!

0-0 going into half time. Qarabag only conceded once in Europe this season so Poch is justified with a strong line-up.

They sound like some small time parish GAA club.

This could be seriously mis-guided but I'm quietly confident of a favourable result this weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

This could be seriously mis-guided but I'm quietly confident of a favourable result this weekend.

I agree with the first bit anyway! :( Ah tbf if there was ever a time this season to beat someone playing well it's after a short return from the backend of nowhere... Fingers crossed we have a plan for Kane this time, not overly concerned elsewhere but we'll need to up our energy big time to keep up with them. Could well be a game for Rambo to run around like a mad thing.

I agree with the first bit anyway! :( Ah tbf if there was ever a time this season to beat someone playing well it's after a short return from the backend of nowhere... Fingers crossed we have a plan for Kane this time, not overly concerned elsewhere but we'll need to up our energy big time to keep up with them. Could well be a game for Rambo to run around like a mad thing.

Rambo rolled his ankle before the Tel Aviv game so he and JT are major doubts for this game.

I wouldnt be surprised to see Mikel coming into the game being honest but if Jose wants to throw a spanner in the works I'd like to see

Begovic
    Azp Cahill JT Rahman
    Zouma Matic
    Willian Hazard Kenedy
    Costa

Only concern is JT, if hes out I'd throw Ivan CB with Cahill, Kane like to drop deep so throw Matic or Zouma on him, both CBs can easily deal with Kane in the air.

Although Cahill had a nightmare game at WHL the last time and Ivan is a poor CB but Spurs have the ability to create from wide and from their FBs so moving Hazard to #10 will shift his defensive duties to Willian and Kenedy who are more than capable.

Rambo rolled his ankle before the Tel Aviv game so he and JT are major doubts for this game.

I wouldnt be surprised to see Mikel coming into the game being honest but if Jose wants to throw a spanner in the works I'd like to see

Begovic
    Azp Cahill JT Rahman
    Zouma Matic
    Willian Hazard Kenedy
    Costa

Only concern is JT, if hes out I'd throw Ivan CB with Cahill, Kane like to drop deep so throw Matic or Zouma on him, both CBs can easily deal with Kane in the air.

Although Cahill had a nightmare game at WHL the last time and Ivan is a poor CB but Spurs have the ability to create from wide and from their FBs so moving Hazard to #10 will shift his defensive duties to Willian and Kenedy who are more than capable.

Definitely agree with the front 4, wouldn't go messing too much at the back though. Fab & Matic in midfield again (finally showing some promise). Baba-JT if fit (if not Cahill)- Zouma-Azpi.

Kenedy and Willian should be the right ones to match their fullbacks for pace and work-rate and our fullbacks should be able to do the same. It'll be up to the central 3 in midfield to try and not let them have too much time on the ball.

Definitely agree with the front 4, wouldn't go messing too much at the back though. Fab & Matic in midfield again (finally showing some promise). Baba-JT if fit (if not Cahill)- Zouma-Azpi.

Kenedy and Willian should be the right ones to match their fullbacks for pace and work-rate and our fullbacks should be able to do the same. It'll be up to the central 3 in midfield to try and not let them have too much time on the ball.

I hope we do beat them being honest, I prefer beating them than Arsenal/Pool/West Ham/Utd/City.

Theres something about putting down a club who reckon theyre bigger than they are thats very satisfying, on the flip side, losing to them is a pain in the neck. :pac:

We need to re-establish 3 point lane, we last won there back in 2012, be a nice time to start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

spurs press conf
    jose
    'Today JT didn't train but we have a little hope it's possible (that he plays). I have complete trust in Cahill and Zouma

'Ramires is in the same situation as John, let's wait and see.'

Thibaut Courtois is progressing well and hopes the goalkeeper will be back in the first 15 days of December.

'We have to play every match as if we are fighting for the title. The reality is that we need points.

'We are all focused on doing our job the best we can. The only thing we can do is try to get the maximum amount of points.'

'Chelsea is a big club, big clubs have difficult moments and cope with them. They try to build to have good moments again.'

'Obviously it's not difficult to feel Harry Kane is a good striker.

he doesn't expect the club to do any business in January. (YEAH RIGHT)

I really cant wait to have Courtois back, sorry Begovic, you're a good GK but we need our 1st choice back.

peteeeed wrote: »

He seems to fancy a move to us anyway. Be another good option but hes not an out and out CF. Could see the end of Oscar if he is brought in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

Straws in the wind on Costa and Hazard?

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/nov/28/chelsea-diego-costa-striker-future

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/nov/28/chelsea-jose-mourinho-eden-hazard-no10-tottenham

I've always felt Costa was at Chelsea on sufferance as much through the pressure of agents and the payday than professional motivation, and that Hazard's head is too easily turned. Neither are dedicated to the cause. I'd sooner see the pair of them out the door than Jose.

• Advertisement

Just watching Didier on sky 1, jesus you'd miss him :(

Pedro starting up front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭RichT

CU-YSCzXIAAFoW2.jpg:large

No recognized striker :confused:

Someone get the false 9 stats , have we ever won ? Kenedy might have been a better option

Jaysus, not looking forward to this at all :/ hopefully himself and hazard rotate a lot anyway.

Really does show we only have one option up front really.

Twitter feed has hazard up top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭RichT

Would absolutely love to be proved wrong, but I fear The Spurs back four will be mostly............

beachheader1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

They say Costa hasn't emerged for the warm up, not being picked today really is an odd decision and it's starting to look like his time in London is up. He seems thoroughly bored of life at Chelsea, it's really just not the right environment for him.

Send him on his way. Not a good figure in the dressing room.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

We aren't playing too bad.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement