Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Sure who gives a fook at this stage ?

The club will be dead and buried in 5 years time, there is more chance of Dublin City coming back and winning the UCL then Chelsea winning another league cup ffs...

What makes you say that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

We need fresh ideas to put some energy back into the squad. Jose has failed to change anything meaningful and now he has got the current group of players used to losing. Do something enough and it becomes habbit.

What makes you say that?

Hyperbole

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

Considering it's what most fans have been calling for for years, I don't think this would be half as bad if the young players were getting a chance. There's loads of players worth a punt dying for a game...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Garzorico

Jose alluded to being too good to go down. Lantern jays*s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Lukker- wrote: »
    Hyperbole

It's like something you'd expect that clown Dunphy to say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

I haven't seen anything that suggests Chelsea will make the Europa League spots.

Better off avoiding all that Thursday nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭Hitchens

Jose is knob an unpleasant individual, pure and simple. If the way he behaves at press briefings is a pointer, imagine what he's like on the training ground!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,670 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

You wish, if you ended up like Liverpool you would have an exciting and honest manager and have a real shout at top 4

Not really a realistic comparison because Liverpool had to put up with a disastrous period of ownership which lost the club 3 or 4 years. Unless Abramovich sells up, you'd never go that way.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

It doesnt make sense though. How can chelsea be so bad at home after being so dominant there for years. Its bonkers, it has to be more than Jose. Bad luck has played its part too, a lot of teams seems to score every chance they get against Chelsea. Whats going on.

• Advertisement

Illuminati...witchcraft....dark magic...you name it..

I'm sure Jose and RA have an understanding, but losing today will have tested that from the owner's POV. After the earlier results, we were looking at getting within 10 points of challenging for the top 4 again. Instead we were at the wrong end of a six pointer dragging us into a relegation dogfight. We can't even argue we were keeping our powder dry for Porto. This was Bournemouth. At home. FFS.

At this point, we have to look at securing premiership status comfortably, and foregoing any European competition next year. We should be playing the likes of RLC and bringing an on-loan striker back. As others have said, drop-kick Cesc and Costa to touch. Jose hasn't blooded any youngsters. Instead he and some key players are running on empty.

He's out of credit now. Even beating Porto won't save our season. It just puts a few million in the bank before we're spanked in the last 16 (enough to bankroll cutting Jose's contract short?).

No, this is too far gone. There's no silver lining. There's no point standing on ceremony only to find ourselves still worrying about relegation in March and April. Either dump the underperforming players now, or Jose has to walk. I can't see past the latter at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

If Jose does get canned, Hiddink until the end of the season and then make a play for someone like Guardiola?

It's been an extraordinary decline from winning the Title to this.

A needless end of season tour, a truncated pre-season, a botched transfer window, the Carneiro affair.

It's just been a mess from the club.

Can't see why Guardiola would be interested in taking over at Chelsea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Money I'd have thought, and a realistic chance of silverware every season (after this one)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Money I'd have thought, and a realistic chance of silverware every season (after this one)

Perhaps. I reckon he'd rather United or Arsenal if he were to come to England.

Could be right, time will tell.

Does he really want to build a team from scratch? Particularly if the next club job is to be his last.

No. I just can't see Guardiola going to a Chelsea that won't even be in the UCL next year.

I'd prefer Carlo tbh, Pep will take at least 2 seasons before he instills his philosophy and personally I'm not sure how effective it'll be in the PL. He's tweaked it recently with Bayern and got them playing but we don't have the advantage of being in a league where Bayern can walk the league every season.

City makes more sense then either of those clubs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

What about taking Rafa back.

I'd prefer Carlo tbh, Pep will take at least 2 seasons before he instills his philosophy and personally I'm not sure how effective it'll be in the PL. He's tweaked it recently with Bayern and got them playing but we don't have the advantage of being in a league where Bayern can walk the league every season.

I'd have to say Carlo in after Porto, regardless of the result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Hitchens wrote: »
    Jose is knob an unpleasant individual, pure and simple. If the way he behaves at press briefings is a pointer, imagine what he's like on the training ground!
    I don't like the guy either. Look at his trophy haul though; it works for him. He's not looking to win popularity contests. I'd imagine Ferguson wasn't exactly a ray of sunshine on the training ground, but it worked out okay for him as well, didn't it?

niallo27 wrote: »
    What about taking Rafa back.

I thought he did and good job last time around, but he'd never go back and Chelsea would never take him back. Bridges burnt by everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Who knows? People said the same about Klopp going to Liverpool. Going to a top club going through a tough spell and you'd be guaranteed financial backing. It has its appeal. You'd drive City and Utd mental at the same time :)

Who knows? People said the same about Klopp going to Liverpool. Going to a top club going through a tough spell and you'd be guaranteed financial backing. It has its appeal. You'd drive City and Utd mental at the same time :(

Precisely.

Managerial appointments are largely down to timing and chance.

I don't personally see why Pep is so coveted myself so I'll let the Manchester Clubs fight for who thinks they are bigger and shall get him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Just back from the game , met a Sunderland fan at Waterloo talking about the relegation 6 pointer in 2 weeks .........Jesus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭Hitchens

blueser wrote: »
    I don't like the guy either. Look at his trophy haul though; it works for him. He's not looking to win popularity contests. I'd imagine Ferguson wasn't exactly a ray of sunshine on the training ground, but it worked out okay for him as well, didn't it?
    there is such a thing as dignity and graciousness as well, Mourinho and ferguson have neither .........Bob Paisley had it, Manuel Pellegrini has it

Although I don't see it happening, there are reasons to have hope that it might.
    Chelsea would be more of a challenge than say United or City.
    Chelsea are a team currently playing terrible football(the same applies when on form).

To the majority of managers this is no incentive, in fact they probably act as deterrents. Guardiola, being the perfectionist that he is, could be drawn to the club for these reasons, as well as $$$ of course.

As well as that, there's the fact that his arch nemesis, Mourinho, is just after leaving(if the scenario proves through). Taking over and being successful would surely be the final nail in the coffin for any of the doubters who doubt that Guardiola is the better manager.

Plausible I say. Likely? Nay..

Could be worse, could have lost our last ever home game at the stadium to a newly promoted team today, as Lyon did.
    Hopefully things will have turned around in two seasons time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

Hasn't sparky done a great job at Stoke!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

It seems my long standing opinion of Costa is starting to show true....an over rated player who was not worth the money or hassle. I remember being shot down here for suggesting that before he signed....seems people blinkered eyes are finally being opened.

Regarding Jose...he messed up the whole vibe at the club with the Eva situation, since then the players seem to given up. It created a bad atmosphere for no reason. She was well liked, was around long enough to be popular with the staff and players and in an instant Jose messed it all up. If he goes who comes in? There was a mention of Steve Howard taking over until the summer, that's not a bad shout. Some talk of Carlo again....personally I'd love it but he would be mad to come back given the way he was treated by RA.

As for a permanent manager next year if it goes that route.....the Dortmund manager looks like a newer version of Klopp.........Maybe just maybe :) wait and see what he does the rest of the season first.

So strange goings on at CFC yet again........ The joys always followed by the drama :D

A top 8 finish is what will happen. No CL next year and hopefully no Europa league....make it a season to play less, recharge and win the EPL again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Who says Ancelotti would want to go to Chelsea? He was treated awfully last time around and his sacking was ridiculous.

SantryRed wrote: »
    Who says Ancelotti would want to go to Chelsea? He was treated awfully last time around and his sacking was ridiculous.

Carlos sacking was the worst decision RA made......that and approving the design of the new stadium.

obezyana wrote: »
    Carlos sacking was the worst decision RA made......that and approving the design of the new stadium.

I like the new stadium design but Ancelotti was treated disgracefully.

I like the new stadium design but Ancellotti was treated disgracefully.

Yeah he was and that's why I'd be shocked if he even entertained the idea of coming back. I see mentioning of Guardiola by people aswell, there is no way he would come to Chelsea the club is too sporadic with the way it handles managers and it's youth system might aswell not be there. I reckon he will be the next Man U manager and Carlo will be the next Man City manager which makes me worry for Chelsea.

SantryRed wrote: »

He did.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/nov/11/carlo-ancelotti-chelsea-jose-mourinho

I'm sick of this who said/you said sh*te, fair enough other fans want to have a go and swings and roundabouts but at least google it beforehand.

Only problem is the second last paragraph in that article. Sensibly though, he is a pragmatist who's done the rounds in set ups just as mental as Chelsea's, so he probably wouldn't mind coming back. I really like him, he has class.

Only problem is the second last paragraph in that article. Sensibly though, he is a pragmatist who's done the rounds in set ups just as mental as Chelsea's, so he probably wouldn't mind coming back. I really like him, he has class.

I'm sure he's smart enough to know that the current squad is of a level capable of achieving top 4 and that he'll be backed in the transfer market. Similar to LVG with United. I also believe the structure and management at the club have matured immensely since his sacking. I certainly don't believe the same decision would be repeated for a manager finishing second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

It's madness seeing words like overhaul used today given your front 6 was Hazard, Willian, Oscar, Pedro, Fabregas and Matic

Much like United it looks like the manager is the main problem

It's interesting to see how Chelsea have fallen.

I mean, there are 2 facts that really cannot be questioned. Mourinho is a great manager, and he has a squad that won the title last season, so it has to be "good enough". Could it really be down to the spat with the doctor, could players be so...sensitive that they take it so badly and it affects performance?

If he goes, think Chelsea should make a daring appointment. Like Paul Clement, knows Chelsea, spent years at RM, seems to be turning Derby around.

• Advertisement

It's interesting to see how Chelsea have fallen.

I mean, there are 2 facts that really cannot be questioned. Mourinho is a great manager, and he has a squad that won the title last season, so it has to be "good enough". Could it really be down to the spat with the doctor, could players be so...sensitive that they take it so badly and it affects performance?

If he goes, think Chelsea should make a daring appointment. Like Paul Clement, knows Chelsea, spent years at RM, seems to be turning Derby around.

I think it is down to the doctor spat. I mean it's like if you worked in a place and someone who was there years and was really popular was suddenly being picked on and eventually turfed out in a nasty way then your morale and belief in your manager/owner may diminish and before you know it small issues start becoming big issues because of what happened. Now you may just suck it up and get on with it as you need a job, money so you may have no choice etc but these are rich footballers who can pretty much move anywhere at the drop of a hat. I really think that was the start of the troubles and let's face it this seems to be the way Jose operates since his Madrid days.

obezyana wrote: »
    I think it is down to the doctor spat. I mean it's like if you worked in a place and someone who was there years and was really popular was suddenly being picked on and eventually turfed out in a nasty way then your morale and belief in your manager/owner may diminish and before you know it small issues start becoming big issues because of what happened. Now you may just suck it up and get on with it as you need a job, money so you may have no choice etc but these are rich footballers who can pretty much move anywhere at the drop of a hat. I really think that was the start of the troubles and let's face it this seems to be the way Jose operates since his Madrid days.

He was nasty, but think players should just get on with it.

Great managers have had petty moments in the past and picked on figures, Ferguson turfing out players who didn't use his son as agent, Clough falling out with many etc.

Maybe it's akin to Clough going into Leeds and losing the players - and they were greats - straight away with his petty vindictiveness about Revie, and the club collapsed in a couple of months, but he and those players had never formed a bond anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

I'll throw in my 2 pence.

At Chelsea, Mourinho is finished. Too much turmoil off the pitch (the majority of which I guarantee you we haven't even heard about yet), too many players aren't on board with him, and he's too much trouble. All of that might be acceptable if the team were picking up wins and playing decent football but they aren't on both counts. The points total is laughable and the football absolutely dire.

What's wrong? I believe it's a combination of many things. Mourinho's third season syndrome is all too real, his intense and divisive methods of management just seem to make his squads crack at the third season mark. Philosophical differences with some of his players, they want open, attractive football and Mourinho hasn't a clue how to set up a team to play that way, he offers no solutions only criticisms. The small size of the squad, the key players played almost every game last season and this season too, has led to physical and mental fatigue. In ostracising so many players he has served to simply ostracising himself.

I also believe that his views of the game, his philosophy is outdated. In the face of the versatile, flexible, and universal football that other top coaches like Guardiola, Klopp, Enrique, Tuchel ect. are producing, Mourinho's rigid and unimaginative approach looks archaic in comparison. His time in Madrid highlighted his weaknesses and clearly rattled his confidence, he's simply not the same coach that first arrived at Chelsea.

Which is a shame because that's what Chelsea need most now. A coach to arrive, to take the club by storm, revolutionise it and stamp an identity onto it. Not many coaches have the ability, personality and clout to do that. Carlo Ancelotti certainly is not a coach who can do that. Chelsea should think long and hard when they make their next long term appointment, they should consider just exactly what it is they are trying to do in the long term because this strange hybrid team that was part built by Mourinho and part built for Pep is a Frankenstein monster.

I also believe that his views of the game, his philosophy is outdated. In the face of the versatile, flexible, and universal football that other top coaches like Guardiola, Klopp, Enrique, Tuchel ect. are producing, Mourinho's rigid and unimaginative approach looks archaic in comparison.

In fairness though, most of them can only dream of his success. Tuchel shouldn't be mentioned in the same discussion.

And other managers have that angry and aggressive approach and very defined style, like Simeone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

In fairness though, most of them can only dream of his success. Tuchel shouldn't be mentioned in the same discussion.

And other managers have that angry and aggressive approach and very defined style, like Simeone.

Why? Absolutely Mourinho has won many trophies but my point isn't about success, it's about philosophy and Tuchel is of the future where Mourinho increasingly seems to be of the past.

Simeone is a remarkable coach. All of the coaches mentioned above differ to each other, and Simeone is one of the best coaches around who also differs to the others. I suppose he would be the closest to Mourinho in terms of philosophy but look at how his teams play and compare that to Mourinho's. Their pressing game is arguably the best in Europe, they try to win the ball back close to the opposition goal whereas Chelsea rarely press in any way that is of note. When people speak of Atletico they speak of the aggressive pressure and the fight but, as Moyes said last night, they are one of the finest 1 touch sides around, they can match football with the best teams. It's even more remarkable because Simeone is basically playing a 4-4-2 and the football they produce is far more appealing than what Mourinho's Chelsea produce.

They are similar in that neither coach particularly needs to dominate the ball but how they go about that and the quality of the output is certainly different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Another meh weekend, its getting pretty sad that when you lose to a team like Bournemouth you're not all that surprised.

We're not playing good enough, we're not getting the breaks, we cant create in open play and we cant defend when we have too.

Its a recipe for disaster and has seen us lose to not only bang average teams but lose and drop points to god awful teams.

There is literally no good in sacking Jose now, too many variables to consider but this season is a complete write off, our only bit of hope is to go on a decent FA cup run and maybe a decent UCL run but given how we're playing recently with no consistency, I wouldnt bank on either and we could be out of the UCL this week regardless.

Football culture has become very knee jerk, "sack him" "sell him" "buy him", its all well and good saying that but its not that simple, teams dont want to lose star players and manager in the middle of the season. So for now we're stuck with what we got.

I've no issue with that whatsoever, what I will have a serious issue with though is if we go into September/October next year, after Jose has been given time to buy and sell who he wants and we're equally as bad, then I'd start to lose patience. There is quiet literally nobody available thats better than Jose right now and short of signing 3 or 4 of the very best players in the world, Neymar, Ronaldo, Messi,etc etc and having 5 or 6 teams above us collapse, we're not going to make top 4.

No coach or players we could get in January is turning this season around, its done, its been over since about September and the writing was on the wall in pre-season when we didnt win 1 game in 90mins, this sint a recent thing, it isnt a "doctor scandal" thing, its much larger than all of that.

This club wont be relegated, so even if we finished 17th I wouldnt want Jose sacked. I've no issue keeping the squad until the summer and then culling players as Jose sees fit, if it goes wrong then after a few months, then and only then can he be considered for the chop, IMO, its as much the players fault as it is his own and the either all work together to find a solution or theyve to go. Its going to be an extremely interesting summer transfer window anyway with incomings and outgoings.

Actually what would be extremely funny is if we do get relegated and win the Champs League/Europa League, that would be the best season ever. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

Is there a reason Loic Remy is not getting more game time? Didn't think he was injured again.

mav79 wrote: »
    Is there a reason Loic Remy is not getting more game time? Didn't think he was injured again.

IMO, he should have started yesterday if he was going to drop costa.

Dropping a CF and then playing a winger as a false 9 was a joke, especially against one of the weakest back lines in the league.

Imagine how you'd feel if you were Remy with costa dropped and Hazard plays instead of you? Tells you all ya need to know about where ya stand in the pecking order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

A change in style could work wonders as well. Having a player on the shoulder of defenders constantly making runs might just make the likes of Fabregas look more productive.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement