Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

This period for Chelsea is amusing as an outsider but I wouldn't contemplate getting rid of Jose at all. But he needs to learn how to lose, and this is the big issue that you have this year.

Ferguson, as much as I hated him, knew how to lose and recover from that loss. I was listening to a podcast earlier this month and a fella from Utd we Stand made the point that Fergie's best trait was he knew how to lose. I kinda agree with that statement tbh. Wenger is also great at getting his team to recover after a loss.

The problem with Jose is that he has never had to deal with anything like this in his career.

At Porto he had the best squad in the league and they were expected to win. First time round with you lot he had a great squad assembled who had a really good season the year before, and he had an open checkbook. Inter had been champions the few years before he took over (I think) and then Real are who they are.

He has never had to face this type of problem before so it will be interesting to see if he can overcome these problems that he is having. I'd back him to overcome the issues but I think patience is required from all quarters; more importantly by Jose himself. Hopefully it humbles him in the end and he changes the blame game and looks at the issues with squad and himself and stops blaming refs, FA etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭fozz10

meh, bad season.... so what, he won us the league last year. so what we are having a terrible season Just deal with it. Its only a f*cking season. Cannot wait for jose to win another league with us in the next few years. For people trying to say it has to do with the physio, cop on she was just a physio, who gives a sh*t about that only media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,781 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

fozz10 wrote: »
    meh, bad season.... so what, he won us the league last year. so what we are having a terrible season Just deal with it. Its only a f*cking season. Cannot wait for jose to win another league with us in the next few years. For people trying to say it has to do with the physio, cop on she was just a physio, who gives a sh*t about that only media.

"It's only a f*cking season"

Did Fergie ever have seasons like this ? I'm not calling for José's neck, but that doesn't mean that this season is totally unacceptable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭fozz10

I would have still took a league win and a **** season to follow a few years ago when united and city were winnning it every other year. As would most I am sure. if we dont get top 4 then it might as well be 15th as its all the one. so while it is totally unacceptable to you, it sucks for me too but I will get over it as its just a season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

I think the reasons have all been touched on why he can't continue. A blueprint is out on how to beat us, it's existed for 3 or 4 seasons but it's well and truly showing the holes in our one dimensional attacking play now. Mou doesn't know how to play any other way and he's shown no inclination that he's willing to change things up. The players are exhausted after playing his way for 2 seasons without much rotation. We need new ideas to freshen up the squad. Many of Jose's methods seem quite archaic now. He's handled the pressure off the field better recently but still can't show us anything on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

fozz10 wrote: »
    I would have still took a league win and a **** season to follow a few years ago when united and city were winnning it every other year. As would most I am sure. if we dont get top 4 then it might as well be 15th as its all the one. so while it is totally unacceptable to you, it sucks for me too but I will get over it as its just a season.

I reckon this will last at least 2 seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Jaysus, that had all the makings of a great weekend if only we could have managed to beat Bournemouth....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Actually what would be extremely funny is if we do get relegated and win the Champs League/Europa League, that would be the best season ever. :pac:
    Behave yourself. None of them are likely to happen.

Well; not the European trophies, anyway!

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

The thing that worries me is Jose saying we deserved this we deserved that , it's f*cking Bournemouth at home

peteeeed wrote: »
    The thing that worries me is Jose saying we deserved this we deserved that , it's f*cking Bournemouth at home

Yup, we shouldn't be relying on 50/50 penalty calls and offside decisions to beat teams like Bournemouth (no disrespect). And the fact that he seems to be saying it week in week out is whats most frustrating. Don't leave anything up to the refs, he can hardly expect to get the 50/50's when he's insulting them every second week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

blueser wrote: »
    Behave yourself. None of them are likely to happen.

Well; not the European trophies, anyway!

;)

A city fan knows nothing about European success. :P :pac:

We have players to play a more progessive, high pressing game. No a full XI to do it, as we dont have a decent ball playing CB or 2 mobile CMs but the blue print is there and the raw talent is there but it would need Jose to change th approach and hes going have hopefully a full 2months to workout what he wants to do for next season.

Im excited about it anyway and im really interested to see who we'll keep and who'll be out the door.

A new CF thats better than remy and falcao and keep one of bamford and solanke.

A new CM and ship one of ramires or mikel .

A better option at #10 that oscar is seriously needed.

At least 1 CB is needed, at the very least. Ship cahill and ivanovic.

Which leads me to a RB, weve one of the best FBs in Azp in the league, play him at RB and give a shot to Rahman at LB and get cover for both positions.

Players i want out of the club, ivanovic, cahill, mikel, remy, oscar, falcao.

Remember last year when newcastle were sh*t and beat us 2-1.....its nearly a year to the day and theyve been Pool aswell.

Expect them to kick on now and be comfortable from relegation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭redman85

Im excited about it anyway and im really interested to see who we'll keep and who'll be out the door.

What loanees do you think will come into the first team squad next season? Andreas Christensen looks to be the real deal and Watford fans seem to rate Nathan Ake highly.

redman85 wrote: »
    What loanees do you think will come into the first team squad next season? Andreas Christensen looks to be the real deal and Watford fans seem to rate Nathan Ake highly.

Well I mentioned Cahill leaving and Ivan not getting a new deal so we'd need at least 1 loanee returning, with the possibility of 2 making the squad.

Ideally we buy a CB like Stones or Varane but their in the elite price level so are highly unlikely.

In that scenario its between, Christensen, Kalas (whos played for us and being involved in squads) and Ake (who like Kalas, but has played even more for us).

With Jt probably having 1 more season after this, its likely all 3 will be at Chelsea but Christensen seems to be the real deal.

So going into next year I'd like to see :

RB : Kalas, Azp
    CB : JT, Kalas, Zouma, Ake, NEW CB
    LB : Rahman, Ake, Azp

That gives us ample cover but the new CB would have to be exceptional quality.

the reason I've left Christensen is out as hes probably better served playing at a much higher level than Ake and Kalas currently are so leave him there for one more year and bring him back once JT is out.

Theres also guys like Ola Aina and Jay Dasilva who can fall in if needed to FB roles, Aina can play CB too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭redman85

the reason I've left Christensen is out as hes probably better served playing at a much higher level than Ake and Kalas currently are so leave him there for one more year and bring him back once JT is out.

I read somewhere that the loan is for two years, but Chelsea have an option to bring him back after a year if they wish. If he does come back he needs to play regularly.

I also cant get over Jose's unwillingness to play RLC, he cant be as bad as Cesc. Has Jose ever brought a young player from the academy into the first team?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

redman85 wrote: »
    I read somewhere that the loan is for two years, but Chelsea have an option to bring him back after a year if they wish. If he does come back he needs to play regularly.

I also cant get over Jose's unwillingness to play RLC, he cant be as bad as Cesc. Has Jose ever brought a young player from the academy into the first team?

I think, I could be wrong but maybe David Santon for Inter, I think Jose brought him in and played him somewhat regularly. Jose has RLC in most travelling squads and some match day squads, but since his start against Villa when he was our best player for 45mins hes barely been seen.

i went to the City home game last January and he came on for about 4mins and I said to my mate, this kid is going to be a star next year, hes barely featured in 12 months.
    Sheepy99 wrote: »

Hes bang on i nearly every point and nearly every fan will tell you the exact same.

Whats the definition of madness, trying the same thing over and over expecting different results? Its like groundhog day with the team, it goes, 2 or 3 decent results and or performances and one critical loss and we're back in it.

Theres no doubt we deserve to have more points under our belt but as long as we seriously struggle to create and score goal while shipping soft as f**k goals at the back, we'll end up finishing 9-12th and no higher.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Can't see why Guardiola would be interested in taking over at Chelsea?

I can't see why he would. Everything at Chelsea is set up to be the antithesis of Guardiola including fans' patience for his approach. When he has the possibility of a hiatus and taking over from Wenger or the lads upstairs at City, why on Earth would he go to Chelsea, he'd have to rip up the entire squad...

It just looks jaded at Chelsea at the minute. No fire as if everyone knows what's going to happen and everyone is waiting for it.

dfx- wrote: »
    I can't see why he would. Everything at Chelsea is set up to be the antithesis of Guardiola including fans' patience for his approach. When he has the possibility of a hiatus and taking over from Wenger or the lads upstairs at City, why on Earth would he go to Chelsea, he'd have to rip up the entire squad...

It just looks jaded at Chelsea at the minute. No fire as if everyone knows what's going to happen and everyone is waiting for it.

Not really, I think part of the problem is that Mourinho has had to work with a sort of hybrid squad that Emenalo signed players with the likes of Guardiola in mind.

Hazard, Oscar, Matic, Willian, Azpilicueta, Rahman, Zouma, Fabregas, Pedro all suit his style and many of the youth coming through equally so. A ball playing centre back and a more rounded striker is you'd need for a first 11. Just because they are coached to play a defensive style doesn't mean that's all they can play. Watch the first half of last season for reference.

If the fans can show patience in Mourinho's at times putrid football, what makes you think they wouldn't with Pep?

That said, I'm 100% sure he's going to City.

• Advertisement

I think, I could be wrong but maybe David Santon for Inter, I think Jose brought him in and played him somewhat regularly. Jose has RLC in most travelling squads and some match day squads, but since his start against Villa when he was our best player for 45mins hes barely been seen.

i went to the City home game last January and he came on for about 4mins and I said to my mate, this kid is going to be a star next year, hes barely featured in 12 months.

Hes bang on i nearly every point and nearly every fan will tell you the exact same.

Whats the definition of madness, trying the same thing over and over expecting different results? Its like groundhog day with the team, it goes, 2 or 3 decent results and or performances and one critical loss and we're back in it.

Theres no doubt we deserve to have more points under our belt but as long as we seriously struggle to create and score goal while shipping soft as f**k goals at the back, we'll end up finishing 9-12th and no higher.

That is down to management. He's made some minor changes to line-ups, but that is about it. It just looks like he's going through the motions at this stage and wants to be sacked. He needs to show fans something because many are starting to lose faith.

I dont want Pep anyway. Hes been extremly lucky to inhert 2 of the best squads around and at Bayern hes walked a piss poor Bundesliga. I do think he'll end up at City and they'll finally become a better team because of it.

I dont think Jose is going through the motions of being sacked either, IMO anyway. Its gone on so long at this stage he'd have been sacked if it was any other season but the club are backing him for now.

Although in saying that, if we go out of the UCL to Porto this week that mgiht be the straw to break the camels back.

Just having a quick look off the table, Utrd and Pool who are 4th and 7th have marginally out scored us this year by 3 and 1 goals recpectively, doesnt look like much and it isnt but then you look at their goals left in, Utd have left in only 10 and Pool only 17, meanwhile we're left in a whopping 24 goals, leaving our GD on -7.

Theres only 6 teams with worse GD's than us and theyre all below us, if we're not scoring goals and not giving us a chance to win games we've simply got to be solid at the back but we're beyond useless at the back and blunt in attack.

I foolishly assumed afte rthe 3 clean sheets in a row that we'd somewhat sored out the defence but with JT not back there nobody is able to lead the line when it should have been Ivan talking to Zouma and Cahill talking to Zouma and Rahman, Bournemouth got in for a few chances and forced Courtois in too 2 or 3 good saves in the 1st half from poor defending.

Sort the defence and worry about the attack afterwards, I'd have been pissed off with a point at home to Bournemouth but its better than the current alternative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Haven't posted all w/e but I don't think it was as bad as some in here are making out, if the offside is given and the handball seen we get by with another 1-0 and continue to build momentum (even without a good performance). We didn't get it and shouldn't have to rely on refs but thems the breaks really.

The performance was crap enough but it was only certain players that were actually poor. If a few individuals either turn it on or park their arse on the bench we'll start to look better imo.

Fabregas is absolute muck. 2 weeks in a row as the worst player on the pitch? Not only not contributing but also not even doing the bare minimum. We'd literally have been better with ten men imo. Costa and Remy (for his cameo) where both crap again and having come off the back of a decent performance against spurs I don't think Hazard up front was the wrong decision necessarily, but playing that false 9 relies on the next 3 behind being creative and fluid... Pedro (sh/t stepover, sh/t stepover, pussy-out pass) and Oscar (offered nothing) killed any notion of that.

The question then is what to change? I don't think Costa warrants a return. Remy just isn't good enough (he may get few chances but he doesn't even show positive signs when he does). Falcao is on his way back to France hopefully. So you have to keep Haz up front. In behind I think Pedro is worth dropping now, Kenedy offers more work-rate and is at least physical and a direct threat (probably equally poor in ball retention). I don't know is there anyone to drop Oscar for? Maybe RLC? Similarly for Fab. He may be sh/te but we have no one that can play that role of coming deep to take on the responsibility of starting the build up. #1 transfer need imo. I actually think at the back we're starting to come ok. Especially bearing in mind the lack of help they get from ahead of them.

It's the same problems again really, poor possession retention and no pass-makers in the middle of the pitch. Even a poxy Carrick would fill Fabregas' position far better.

Oh and if someone could send Matic to the Mikel-schoo-lof-not-shooting that would be wonderful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Chelsea are a joke of a club they keep sacking their managers .......

Chelsea are a joke of a club they haven't sacked their manager

I love the forums

hots wrote: »
    Haven't posted all w/e but I don't think it was as bad as some in here are making out, if the offside is given and the handball seen we get by with another 1-0 and continue to build momentum (even without a good performance). We didn't get it and shouldn't have to rely on refs but thems the breaks really.

The performance was crap enough but it was only certain players that were actually poor. If a few individuals either turn it on or park their arse on the bench we'll start to look better imo.

Fabregas is absolute muck. 2 weeks in a row as the worst player on the pitch? Not only not contributing but also not even doing the bare minimum. We'd literally have been better with ten men imo. Costa and Remy (for his cameo) where both crap again and having come off the back of a decent performance against spurs I don't think Hazard up front was the wrong decision necessarily, but playing that false 9 relies on the next 3 behind being creative and fluid... Pedro (sh/t stepover, sh/t stepover, pussy-out pass) and Oscar (offered nothing) killed any notion of that.

The question then is what to change? I don't think Costa warrants a return. Remy just isn't good enough (he may get few chances but he doesn't even show positive signs when he does). Falcao is on his way back to France hopefully. So you have to keep Haz up front. In behind I think Pedro is worth dropping now, Kenedy offers more work-rate and is at least physical and a direct threat (probably equally poor in ball retention). I don't know is there anyone to drop Oscar for? Maybe RLC? Similarly for Fab. He may be sh/te but we have no one that can play that role of coming deep to take on the responsibility of starting the build up. #1 transfer need imo. I actually think at the back we're starting to come ok. Especially bearing in mind the lack of help they get from ahead of them.

It's the same problems again really, poor possession retention and no pass-makers in the middle of the pitch. Even a poxy Carrick would fill Fabregas' position far better.

Oh and if someone could send Matic to the Mikel-schoo-lof-not-shooting that would be wonderful.

I agree with ya by and large, the performance wasnt really bad but some players were poor again and its more than one or two bad games, its a really bad run of form.

The goals was a nightmare, Courtois was surronded, I dont know who was meant to be marking the Bournemouth player infront of Courtois, I think it was Ivanovic or Cahill but he should have cleared him out of the way allowing either a better punch or a catch from Courtois, the punch then lands just outside the 6 yard box and is hooked to a marginally offside Murray but to make that call the linesman would have had to make the greatest call of his life, I've more gripe with our defending of the set piece than the decision to allow it as its so close to call and hes looking through about a dozen players its a 1 in million call.

However, the handball was a bit of farce but at this stage I'm used to the 50/50 calls going to the other teams, we've not got the rub of the green for those type of calls really but we shouldnt have to rely on the calls to beat Bournemouth, a team with one of the worse defences in the league.

The only thing about a false 9 is the best player in our squad to suit the position is playing RW, Pedro. Hes more clinical than Hazard and is more used to the position than Hazard.

Got to give Boruce credit too, he made a few saves to keep us out but our entire midfield block was AWOL on saturday, they were all, to a man, awful.

Just to go back to corners, how many corners did we have where Boruc strolled out and claimed a cross without any interference from one of our players? They get one and pile in on the GK and force a goal.

Theres also a lot to be pointed out about Matic missing a sitter but its a reaction as the ball came at him so fast but he has to score.

Ivan had 2 clear chances to roll across balls for tap ins and either over cooked the ball or under hit it, his shot in the 88th minute troubled the corner flag and he was rightfully boo'ed out of it.

Our play is just to predictable too, pass, pass, pass, go to winger, winger turns to full back, full back passes to CM, repeat the process, its slow, painful and easily defended against in a low block.

Its easy to suggest what we need and how we need to do it but the reality is, doing it seems to be an impossible task.

If it was me I'd seriously consider bringing in RLC as #10 and dropping Oscar and Cesc, RLC is much better equipped to deal with holding CMs and CBs, physically, than those other two who find themselves that close to the opposition, hes good on the ball, quick, and has an eye for a pass.

Throw Ramires in next Matic as hes going to press harder and more aggresively than Cesc, I'd be playing Azp and Rahman at FB, Ivanovic is well and truly done and upfront, if we're going to go with a false 9 it has to be Pedro or Falcao, theyre movement is much better than Remy or Costa and both are better suited to it than Hazard.

So for the next few games I'd like to see

Courtois
    Azp Zouma JT Rahman
    Matic Ramires
    Willian RLC Hazard
    Pedro

I love the forums

I'd much prefer in this instance to be in the latter group.

As I've said here and elsewhere, this isnt Scolari, Villas Boas or Di Matteo, its one of the games finest managers and to sack him twice would be mental.

I want to give him until next summer and see how we're doing in October.

I do however fear that if Porto beat us this week, hes gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Same as kept away for the weekend too. Einstein was a clever guy, pretty much everyone would agree with that so when a pretty clever guy makes a statement sometimes it is worth taking note so as he said Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

So that being the case the buck stops firmly at Jose's door we were awful pre-season and nothing has changed yet by and large the same players are on the pitch week after week. Is he so blind he cannot see it is not working? Yet he persists with the likes of Cesc and Ivan neither of whom have had a decent game this season. Cahill is ok against the non top flight opposition but a top class defender he is not and nowhere near good enough to run a back line when things are pear shaped. How playing Ivan and leaving Dave on the bench can be justified is beyond me, simply that cannot be it is a gross error. Cesc has been extremely bad all season, not poor but bad- the pivot of Cesc and Ivan being so bad has just destabilised the team totally and now we are a side with absolutely no confidence.

It is really difficult to understand why these two players are selected all the time regardless there is something to suggest that Jose has lost all semblance of logical thought and action. On Saturday we played Bournemouth for Gods sake and he moans about referee calls FFS give it up. Was it a peno not sure thought it would have been harsh but they have been given for sure. Was the goal offside more than likely but how often has there been calls for the offensive side to be given the benefit of the doubt when it is tight? In the first half TBo make two world class saves OK thats what he is there for but the worry is the ref is not the problem - he is not why we lost.

If he said right I am going to build for next season and Kenedy, RLC, Traore and a few other lads got good game time and we lost a tussle with Bournemouth you would say fair enough you cant make on omelette without breaking eggs and such results must be expected. But there is no light on the horizon - this is a big week I do expect us to lost against Porto there is nothing to suggest we can win a tight game. Will he be sacked afterwards - would not surprise me and if he is he has no one to blame but himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

I dont want Pep anyway. Hes been extremly lucky to inhert 2 of the best squads around and at Bayern hes walked a piss poor Bundesliga. I do think he'll end up at City and they'll finally become a better team because of it.

I dont think Jose is going through the motions of being sacked either, IMO anyway. Its gone on so long at this stage he'd have been sacked if it was any other season but the club are backing him for now.

Although in saying that, if we go out of the UCL to Porto this week that mgiht be the straw to break the camels back.

The short form version of my 5 minute long rant that just took place in my room to myself. There's no luck, the man works tirelessly, meticulously planning every game. He changed both squads substantially, not simply in terms of personnel but in the very way they see the game and the way they play the game, he gave them an identity. The Bundesliga is far from piss poor, Bayern are certainly the best team but the league is very competitive, each game is a challenge. I think when he moves to England it will be to City, everything is set up for Pep at City. I'll end with this; he's an innovator, the things he is doing can hardly be believed, he's the most impressive, forward-thinking coach in the world and every time his Bayern side plays it's a lesson taught by the master that all should watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

The short form version of my 5 minute long rant that just took place in my room to myself. There's no luck, the man works tirelessly, meticulously planning every game. He changed both squads substantially, not simply in terms of personnel but in the very way they see the game and the way they play the game, he gave them an identity. The Bundesliga is far from piss poor, Bayern are certainly the best team but the league is very competitive, each game is a challenge. I think when he moves to England it will be to City, everything is set up for Pep at City. I'll end with this; he's an innovator, the things he is doing can hardly be believed, he's the most impressive, forward-thinking coach in the world and every time his Bayern side plays it's a lesson taught by the master that all should watch.

Sorry to take this off topic everyone but how do you think Pep would do at Arsenal?
    If the answer isnt for this forum could be please reply in the Arsenal one Andersonisgod? Thanks

Forward thinking is all well and good, except when hes met his match with teams of equal calibre in Europe hes been left flaundering with a Bayern side that devasted his very own Barceloina 7-0 on route to winning it.

Granted hes lost to the eventual winners the last 2 years in a row, nothing wrong with that but theyve been destroyed in those semi finals, 5-0 and 5-3.

Bayern are Europes 3rd best side but theyre some way behind the top 2, which doesnt say much for the rest as theyre also someway behind Bayern.

IMO, Pep has taken Bayern backward from what Heynckes had them playing, actually backward is probably the wrong term, theyre still dominating, again, not hard in Germany when youve got Bayerns finances and can hoover up all the talent but hes certainly taken them a different direction and its been less succesful, at least where it counts, in Europe.

I do reckon he'll end up at City, Utd or Arsenal and then hes got a real challenge on his hands and it'll be interesting to watch, I look forward to it.

IMO, Pep has taken Bayern backward from what Heynckes had them playing, actually backward is probably the wrong term, theyre still dominating, again, not hard in Germany when youve got Bayerns finances and can hoover up all the talent but hes certainly taken them a different direction and its been less succesful, at least where it counts, in Europe.

Do they really have more finances than Chelsea, City and United?

Same as kept away for the weekend too. Einstein was a clever guy, pretty much everyone would agree with that so when a pretty clever guy makes a statement sometimes it is worth taking note so as he said Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Expect to see the same XI against Porto, bar maybe JT starting. :o

Thats going to be the biggest game of the season it seems, lose and hes gone.

I cant see him changing it up, I dont think he trusts anyone to come in and replace those guys who are under performing so badly which doesnt exactly fill the rest of the squad with confidence if you cant play over Ivan or Cesc or when Costa is dropped you xpect to get a game up front but he plays a LW through the middle. :o

Its never dull supporting Chelsea anyway, thats always a good thing.

ronjo wrote: »
    Do they really have more finances than Chelsea, City and United?

In relation to the rest of the league, 100%., must Germans will want to play for Bayern too.

In European terms, there revenue was about £400 million in 2013, I think only Utd and Real had more.

In relation to the rest of the league, 100%., must Germans will want to play for Bayern too.

In European terms, there revenue was about £400 million in 2013, I think only Utd and Real had more.

I didnt realise their revenue is high but compared to what the big spending 3 in Engand have spent on purchases and salaries in last 10-15 years I am sure they are not higher.

just grabbed from trasferleague.co.uk

# Nett Spend 03/04 - 13/14 Purchased Gross Sold Nett Per Season

1 Manchester City £947,920,000 £269,950,000 £677,970,000 £52,151,538
    2 Chelsea £991,209,000 £384,850,000 £606,359,000 £46,643,000
    3 Manchester United £704,550,000 £284,150,000 £420,400,000 £32,338,462

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Forward thinking is all well and good, except when hes met his match with teams of equal calibre in Europe hes been left flaundering with a Bayern side that devasted his very own Barceloina 7-0 on route to winning it.

Granted hes lost to the eventual winners the last 2 years in a row, nothing wrong with that but theyve been destroyed in those semi finals, 5-0 and 5-3.

Bayern are Europes 3rd best side but theyre some way behind the top 2, which doesnt say much for the rest as theyre also someway behind Bayern.

I do reckon he'll end up at City, Utd or Arsenal and then hes got a real challenge on his hands and it'll be interesting to watch, I look forward to it.

Are you putting Real ahead of Bayern?

supposedly last 10 years

Note: Only major trophies and cups have been taken into consideration.
    S.No Club

Expenditure

(£ M)

Earnings

(£ M)
    Arrivals / Departures Trophies won
    1 Real Madrid 828.87 376.25 115 / 112 10
    2 Manchester City 728.58 218,33 332 / 321 5
    3 Chelsea FC 639.15 356.81 381 / 362 13
    4 Liverpool FC 560.69 364.42 306 / 302 4
    5 FC Barcelona 551.25 228.19 105 /103 23
    6 Manchester United 539.01 210.32 337 /340 15
    7 Tottenham Hotspur 477.02 370.88 388 / 381 1
    8 Juventus FC 427.73 258.95 475 / 427 8
    9 Inter Milan 400.00 293.48 445 / 407 15
    10 Atletico Madrid 391.32 317.77 195 / 187 7
    11 Paris Saint-Germain 386.50 86.47 153 / 156 11
    12 Bayern Munich 345.52 154.53 94 / 94 19
    13 Arsenal FC 330.35 260.19 306 / 298 4
    14 AC Milan 327.18 279.36 412 / 390 11
    15 AS Roma 314.37 230.46 399 / 375 3

Are you putting Real ahead of Bayern?

I'd be confident that Real would beat Bayern over two legs.

However, Barca are clearly the stand out team in Europe and should retain the UCL if they can keep the front 3 fit and injury free.

ronjo wrote: »
    I didnt realise their revenue is high but compared to what the big spending 3 in Engand have spent on purchases and salaries in last 10-15 years I am sure they are not higher.

just grabbed from trasferleague.co.uk

# Nett Spend 03/04 - 13/14 Purchased Gross Sold Nett Per Season

1 Manchester City £947,920,000 £269,950,000 £677,970,000 £52,151,538
    2 Chelsea £991,209,000 £384,850,000 £606,359,000 £46,643,000
    3 Manchester United £704,550,000 £284,150,000 £420,400,000 £32,338,462

I'm on about the money they make, it allows them to, if they need, to out spend anyone in Germany and most teams in Europe.

There is no value in England, the EPL is the biggest cash cow in football and some of the prices for players are crazy, especially when people like Ross McCormack are going for 10+ million and thats just one off the top of my head.

Bayern have done some excellent business recently and the biggest money I can remember them spending is on guys like Neuer, Robben, Costa, Gotze. If those guys went to English sides, IMO, theyre would have been an increased premium, not that it matters much really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

I would have said that Bayern are a clear step above Madrid, certainly not someway behind them.

I think Barca v Bayern would be incredibly tight. Bayern were unfortunate last season in that they were missing Robben, Ribery, Alaba for that game at the Nou Camp. They've improved a lot this season with Douglas Costa and Vidal too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I love the forums

Ach United got it for Moyes and Liverpool used to get it for giving managers a chance, and then getting rid of a few! When Mourinho is the second longest serving manager in the league well its mental!

I can't think of any big club that has had this bad a start in recent memory. I was reading Paisley did it at Liverpool in the early 80's, 6 home losses or something by Christmas, but those were the days of 2 points for a win, so it was possible then.

I suppose it comes down to the fanbase believing he can turn it around, but it can't be blind faith which from an outsider looking in, its starting to look like that. The midas touch has gone and there's no fear of playing Chelsea anymore.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Blatter wrote: »
    I would have said that Bayern are a clear step above Madrid, certainly not someway behind them.

I think Barca v Bayern would be incredibly tight. Bayern were unfortunate last season in that they were missing Robben, Ribery, Alaba for that game at the Nou Camp. They've improved a lot this season with Douglas Costa and Vidal too.

It would be this years dream final anyway for me, Bayern V Barca, with everyone fit for both sides.

I've no interest in a Clasico final, too much drama.

K-9 wrote: »
    Ach United got it for Moyes and Liverpool used to get it for giving managers a chance, and then getting rid of a few! When Mourinho is the second longest serving manager in the league well its mental!

I can't think of any big club that has had this bad a start in recent memory. I was reading Paisley did it at Liverpool in the early 80's, 6 home losses or something by Christmas, but those were the days of 2 points for a win, so it was possible then.

I suppose it comes down to the fanbase believing he can turn it around, but it can't be blind faith which from an outsider looking in, its starting to look like that. The midas touch has gone and there's no fear of playing Chelsea anymore.

I think youre right with the blind faith part but its not a situation where we've got unrealistic expectations of the team or himself from this point forward. Any Chelsea fan should be writing this season off as the biggest disaster of Romans reign and Jose is the only manager who could survive the chop.

For long term balance of the club it makes more sense to keep him than sack him, so I dont think its necessarily blind faith as we all realise theres nothing to salvage from the season other than a decent cup run or two.

As I've said, if next sesaon we're in a similar situaiton AFTER we buy the players HE wants, if it continues like this, then and only then will be calling for his head.

Which is why I'm excited by the summer transfer window already, which is sad, as we're only in December. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

I really don't see why it makes more sense to keep him, Gav. Ok granted, he won the league last year, but the team is an unbelievable mess this year. We're half way through December, 15 games played, and Chelsea are 2 points off 18th place.

I also don't see how Mourinho helps bring the club forward. He seems to have absolutely no interest in blooding young players or even playing new players. The Cuadrado and Salah transfers are so strange and they both barely got a go at all.

I just can't see Chelsea turning this around without giving him the sack. He genuinely looks like he has lost it.

SantryRed wrote: »
    I really don't see why it makes more sense to keep him, Gav. Ok granted, he won the league last year, but the team is an unbelievable mess this year. We're half way through December, 15 games played, and Chelsea are 2 points off 18th place.

I also don't see how Mourinho helps bring the club forward. He seems to have absolutely no interest in blooding young players or even playing new players. The Cuadrado and Salah transfers are so strange and they both barely got a go at all.

I just can't see Chelsea turning this around without giving him the sack. He genuinely looks like he has lost it.

Everyone has opinions, mine is that sacking him, when theres loterally nothing to play for this year is idiotic. No manager available is going to win the league or finish 4th with us. The cups are a nice distraction but we're not going to win the UCL and the FA cup will be a bridge too far it seems too.

So sacking him is literally going to achieve nothing in the long term, the club wont be relegated so we're safe there.

I dont see the point in sacking one of the best managers until hes been fully backed by the board in the summer transfer market. There weretransfer targets in place this year, apparently, and we missed every one of them, thats not own to Jose but the board.

It was the most underwhelming summer in a long time. It was even called by a couple of people here that the summer business was so poor that we may struggle to retain the title, well one thigs for sure, they were reight.

A few of the players have said they expected this season to be easier, the reality is its much easier than last year as only Leicester have a bit of form, had we started like we did last year we'd be back to back champions and the fact the players have said it, suggests theyve not got off the sun lounger and put the effort in, again though, as much as its the players fault, its Jose in the coaching staff who allowed them extra time off so no one party is too blame here.

Trying to pinpoint the exact cause of this is like trying pin the tail on the donkey, theres some many variables that they all seemed to stack up and fold in on us at once.

Right now the only thing that could make this season any worse is for Chelsea to sack Jose.

You're like something out of a Disney movie any time you start harping on about Guardiola or Barca.

Everyone has opinions, mine is that sacking him, when theres loterally nothing to play for this year is idiotic. No manager available is going to win the league or finish 4th with us. The cups are a nice distraction but we're not going to win the UCL and the FA cup will be a bridge too far it seems too.

So sacking him is literally going to achieve nothing in the long term, the club wont be relegated so we're safe there.

I dont see the point in sacking one of the best managers until hes been fully backed by the board in the summer transfer market. There weretransfer targets in place this year, apparently, and we missed every one of them, thats not own to Jose but the board.

It was the most underwhelming summer in a long time. It was even called by a couple of people here that the summer business was so poor that we may struggle to retain the title, well one thigs for sure, they were reight.

A few of the players have said they expected this season to be easier, the reality is its much easier than last year as only Leicester have a bit of form, had we started like we did last year we'd be back to back champions and the fact the players have said it, suggests theyve not got off the sun lounger and put the effort in, again though, as much as its the players fault, its Jose in the coaching staff who allowed them extra time off so no one party is too blame here.

Trying to pinpoint the exact cause of this is like trying pin the tail on the donkey, theres some many variables that they all seemed to stack up and fold in on us at once.

Right now the only thing that could make this season any worse is for Chelsea to sack Jose.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=96518644&postcount=6
    Didn't think it'd be this much of a struggle :o:o

I reckon Oscar should get a go in the #8 position. He plays there for Brazil and looks a far better player, while still getting forward. He can actually tackle, and is far more mobile than Fábregas.
    Given how poor Costa is too, i'd liek to see Remy get a run of games, with somebody like Abraham getting the final 10-15 minutes.
    The general play needs to come through the center a lot more too.
    It's been too predictable since José's first season: Go down the wing, cut inside, look for a pass. Very rarely a cross goes in, and the #10 looks terrible due to the play always going wide.
    As has been said, Pedro has been poor, he's still getting used to England, and the current situation doesn't help things either. Kennedy or Traore should be getting a go in stead of him, for now.

Youngsters have to be blooded. Doing so could buy him more time, rather than him persevering with the same **** until the point he gets sacked.
    Either way he should be kept until the season's end. If he has the cop to change things around, keep him. Otherwise, what hope is there.

You never know, all these terrible experiences could be the wake up call he needs to better himself even further. You never know with football..

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=96518644&postcount=6
    Didn't think it'd be this much of a struggle :o:o

A few of us in here exected us to struggle on the back of a very poor transfer window, pretty much like Ancellotti when he won the double and the squad wasnt improved but this is a whole level of clusterf**k.

My predicition of struggling would have been top 3 or 4 not fighting off relegation in December. :pac:

I reckon Oscar should get a go in the #8 position. He plays there for Brazil and looks a far better player, while still getting forward. He can actually tackle, and is far more mobile than Fábregas.
    Given how poor Costa is too, i'd liek to see Remy get a run of games, with somebody like Abraham getting the final 10-15 minutes.
    The general play needs to come through the center a lot more too.
    It's been too predictable since José's first season: Go down the wing, cut inside, look for a pass. Very rarely a cross goes in, and the #10 looks terrible due to the play always going wide.
    As has been said, Pedro has been poor, he's still getting used to England, and the current situation doesn't help things either. Kennedy or Traore should be getting a go in stead of him, for now.

Youngsters have to be blooded. Doing so could buy him more time, rather than him persevering with the same **** until the point he gets sacked.
    Either way he should be kept until the season's end. If he has the cop to change things around, keep him. Otherwise, what hope is there.

You never know, all these terrible experiences could be the wake up call he needs to better himself even further. You never know with football..

The problem with FBs crossing is Ivan is one of the worse FBs in the league for taking on players and putting in any type of cross or pass, hes so limited at FB that its comical yet pain stakingly frustrating seeing him bomb up and down to cannon a ball off the opposition FB or winger.

On the other side Azp isnt a natural LB with a decent left leg and Rahman is only making head ways in the team recently.

The back four unless someone is injured should be Azp Zouma JT Rahman, build a solid base and go from there.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement