Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I thought we were playing this Sunday against Leicester, nope, we're on the dreaded Monday night slot.

One of the top scorers in the league against our terrible defence. :pac:

Only for Drogba rallying the troops last eyar did we manage to beat them on a Monday night, I think we went 1 down and won 3-2.

That aint happening this time anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

I think you have two choices - either sack Mourinho or let him clear out the squad in the Summer and bring in 6, 7, 8 new players. Because for whatever reason(s), this guts of this current squad is done under Mourinho.

I do think that the current squad with a couple of tweaks would be very good under another manager with a fresh approach, there are just too many good players there.

It's all well and good saying that you won't get an upgrade on Jose, which in theory may be true but football isn't black and white like that. No matter how good of a manager you are, if the relationship is broken with your players then a lesser manager is going to be a better option.

I'd be very surprised if Mourinho is the manager come next season (or even Christmas). I have a feeling that the reason he hasn't already been sacked is because the new 4 year contract handed to him in the Summer has introduced serious financial implications in the even of a sacking - I'd say the pay off would be fairly substantial.

Blatter wrote: »
    I think you have two choices - either sack Mourinho or let him clear out the squad in the Summer and bring in 6, 7, 8 new players. Because for whatever reason(s), this guts of this current squad is done under Mourinho.

I do think that the current squad with a couple of tweaks would be very good under another manager with a fresh approach, there are just too many good players there.

It's all well and good saying that you won't get an upgrade on Jose, which in theory may be true but football isn't black and white like that. No matter how good of a manager you are, if the relationship is broken with your players then a lesser manager is going to be a better option.

I'd be very surprised if Mourinho is the manager come next season (or even Christmas). I have a feeling that the reason he hasn't already been sacked is because the new 4 year contract handed to him in the Summer has introduced serious financial implications in the even of a sacking - I'd say the pay off would be fairly substantial.

Managers very rarely get the full amount left of their contracts though, usually its a year and probably some stipulatioln you cant work in the country for a further 12months.

Sure Di Matteo didnt get his contract paid up in full, he was earning 90k for nearly 18months and because of it couldnt take another managerial job.

If Jose is to be sacked I'd imagine the pay off, while pretty large wont be anything like the full 4 years of his deal.

I'm firmly in the camp anyway that lets him gut the squad and for the time being, it looks like the board are also of this view.

Then youve to ask the question what if it fails in 12months, well if it does, then we're rightfully f**ked.

Jose needs to identify clearly who he wants and who is his fall back incase the top target isnt available and the board have to work towards it ASAP.

I'd say he knows what he wants but if theyre available is another thing, also, I imagine he knows who he wants of the current squad and who can sling their hook in June.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Managers very rarely get the full amount left of their contracts though, usually its a year and probably some stipulatioln you cant work in the country for a further 12months.

Sure Di Matteo didnt get his contract paid up in full, he was earning 90k for nearly 18months and because of it couldnt take another managerial job.

If Jose is to be sacked I'd imagine the pay off, while pretty large wont be anything like the full 4 years of his deal.

I'm firmly in the camp anyway that lets him gut the squad and for the time being, it looks like the board are also of this view.

Then youve to ask the question what if it fails in 12months, well if it does, then we're rightfully f**ked.

Jose needs to identify clearly who he wants and who is his fall back incase the top target isnt available and the board have to work towards it ASAP.

I'd say he knows what he wants but if theyre available is another thing, also, I imagine he knows who he wants of the current squad and who can sling their hook in June.

I remember reading that Moyes had a stipulation in his contract that his pay off would be cut if he was dismissed after failing to qualify for the CL. The day after we were mathematically out of the running for the CL, he was sacked.

If Mourinho has a similar performance related clause in the contract, Roman may feel it's better to hold off on pulling the trigger.

Tbh, you could argue that it'd be a bigger risk to trust Mourinho and gut the squad. At the end of the day, he has the take major responsibility for how bad things have gotten.

What's to say that a similar situation won't arise in two years time if Mourinho is allowed to change things up? I think the situation calls for clear heads and objective thinking at Chelsea, I think you need to place less emphasis on what Mourinho has done in the past and more on what he's at now and consider just how on earth he's managed to let this team fall so far. It really is an unprecedented fall.

The buck does stop with Jose, hes owned up to that but out business in the summer was terrible and I reckon the board have considered that.

They probably went after Joses tragets but couldnt get them and feel they owe him a stay of execution and I reckon hes at the very least earned that.

another thing youve tocuhed on is will they trust Jose with a transfer kitty of 100m and allow him to spend and sell on who he wnats when a few of the most recent transactions have been very hit or miss.

The club is run much better nowa days than it was back when Jose was first in charge so every point will be considered before sacking Jose if it comes to that and might even be a case of the board making moves for other managers in the background as we speak.

Its certainly a very interesting 6months coming up for Chelsea fans and players alike but I'd love to move into the new stadium with Jose in charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

You could see the seeds of the problem last year even as we were marching, largely unimpeded, to the title. Time and time again from Chelsea fans, the complaint went up that the team was barely getting out of first gear. And more than a few made the point that if they were to be challenged in a game, they wouldn't be able to raise their game. Tottenham put it up to them and we got tonked.

That's the nub of the first problem. Attitude. I don't think this has anything to do with backroom spats. This is a stinky attitude that they had last season and has come home to roost this season. Every now knows that if you go to the Bridge - impregnable fortress for many years - and have a right go at them, then you'll likely to come away with all three points. Like Bournemouth. Bournemouth, FFS. We may not miss the declining footballing skills of the likes of Lamps and the Drog, but by hell we sure do miss the drive and belief they gave us.

And then there's simple question of 'are we good enough?' for European competition and the answer is no. Look at our striking options as opposed to Real Madrid's, Barcelona's or Bayen Munich's. Not getting the players he needed is the board's decision. That he can't get the best out of the players he has is his own lookout.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Bartyman

Rarely post here. My tuppence worth.

2013-2014 - We were a little pony....

2014-2015 - Prize Stallion - Paddy Power even divvied out early.

2015-2016 - a fookin Donkey.

Same jockey, same race, similar competition.....what to change, a puzzle indeed

I always described myself as a long suffering Chelsea fan ( since 1966 ), I've seen the good, the bad and the really bad, I've enjoyed the recent purple patch, so I'll take the current slump as temporary blip.

As a Chelsea fan, you get used to the heart attack football, managing to snatch a draw or even defeat from the jaws of victory.

I work with various supporters and will always remind that all things considered, we're doing well for a "small club in Fulham".

KTBFFH

Duck Soup wrote: »
    You could see the seeds of the problem last year even as we were marching, largely unimpeded, to the title. Time and time again from Chelsea fans, the complaint went up that the team was barely getting out of first gear. And more than a few made the point that if they were to be challenged in a game, they wouldn't be able to raise their game. Tottenham put it up to them and we got tonked.

That's the nub of the first problem. Attitude. I don't think this has anything to do with backroom spats. This is a stinky attitude that they had last season and has come home to roost this season. Every now knows that if you go to the Bridge - impregnable fortress for many years - and have a right go at them, then you'll likely to come away with all three points. Like Bournemouth. Bournemouth, FFS. We may not miss the declining footballing skills of the likes of Lamps and the Drog, but by hell we sure do miss the drive and belief they gave us.

And then there's simple question of 'are we good enough?' for European competition and the answer is no. Look at our striking options as opposed to Real Madrid's, Barcelona's or Bayen Munich's. Not getting the players he needed is the board's decision. That he can't get the best out of the players he has is his own lookout.

Summed up nicely that.
    Bartyman wrote: »
    Rarely post here. My tuppence worth.

2013-2014 - We were a little pony....

2014-2015 - Prize Stallion - Paddy Power even divvied out early.

2015-2016 - a fookin Donkey.

Same jockey, same race, similar competition.....what to change, a puzzle indeed

I always described myself as a long suffering Chelsea fan ( since 1966 ), I've seen the good, the bad and the really bad, I've enjoyed the recent purple patch, so I'll take the current slump as temporary blip.

As a Chelsea fan, you get used to the heart attack football, managing to snatch a draw or even defeat from the jaws of victory.

I work with various supporters and will always remind that all things considered, we're doing well for a "small club in Fulham".

KTBFFH

Thats an awful lot of pain to remember for such long support. :o

I think as long as we realise, like Utd 2 years ago, nothing can last forever and you're due a fall, ours however has been spectacular, the greatest in the EPL IMO.

Its how we react next season si the true judgement of the team and board.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

One thing is for sure there has to be a reaction and it should indeed be interesting.

Are some players keeping their spot for Jose to make a point? I do hope not but some team selections begs the question.

There is little doubt that Jose had a shopping list none of which I think was delivered in the summer (would not have thought that Pedro was on the list more of a panic buy that). Perhaps he pointed out to Roman that the squad was shot and needed replacing but even if that scenario is the case how have things got so bad?

As you say Gav the next few months will be interesting, it really never is boring at the Bridge. Roll on next season.

• Advertisement

Well as long as we stay in the UCL we'll have something to get excited by....until we draw a decent side and we get tonked. :o

Well as long as we stay in the UCL we'll have something to get excited by....until we draw a decent side and we get tonked. :o

Yea maybe we can do a Robbie again FA Cup and CL double would be non too shabby.

Dont think I would be putting a whole lot on it though.

Yea maybe we can do a Robbie again FA Cup and CL double would be non too shabby.

Dont think I would be putting a whole lot on it though.

I've had a look, its 90/1 to do a 2012 on it.

UCL winner is 22/1.

Gamble the mortgage on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Tbh I actually fear playing bad teams more then good teams. If teams come and have a go at us I fancy we could beat most teams. It's when we are in possession that we stink. Getting beaten at our own game, which is ironic.

Happy birthday JT, 35 today.

Chelsea have allowed their opponents more shots on target against them than any other team in the top flight this season.

When you allow this to happen you will ship goals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

Everyone has opinions, mine is that sacking him, when theres loterally nothing to play for this year is idiotic. No manager available is going to win the league or finish 4th with us. The cups are a nice distraction but we're not going to win the UCL and the FA cup will be a bridge too far it seems too.

So sacking him is literally going to achieve nothing in the long term, the club wont be relegated so we're safe there.

I dont see the point in sacking one of the best managers until hes been fully backed by the board in the summer transfer market. There weretransfer targets in place this year, apparently, and we missed every one of them, thats not own to Jose but the board.

It was the most underwhelming summer in a long time. It was even called by a couple of people here that the summer business was so poor that we may struggle to retain the title, well one thigs for sure, they were reight.

A few of the players have said they expected this season to be easier, the reality is its much easier than last year as only Leicester have a bit of form, had we started like we did last year we'd be back to back champions and the fact the players have said it, suggests theyve not got off the sun lounger and put the effort in, again though, as much as its the players fault, its Jose in the coaching staff who allowed them extra time off so no one party is too blame here.

Trying to pinpoint the exact cause of this is like trying pin the tail on the donkey, theres some many variables that they all seemed to stack up and fold in on us at once.

Right now the only thing that could make this season any worse is for Chelsea to sack Jose.
    If we can muddle through to the last 16, we get a bit more revenue, and at least a shot at a decent UCL run. That will keep us relevant, and improve our chances for a couple of decent signings in January, including someone to replace the less than useless Costa.

But if we go out on Wednesday, we're seriously stuffed in balancing the books this season, and compromised for next season too. This ironically might mean having to hang on to Jose for the guts of another year, and using the proceeds from selling Hazard to put some cash on the table for next season.

Weve drawn leyton orient or Scunthorpe at home in the FA cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Hopefully there will be an upset :)

peteeeed wrote: »
    Hopefully there will be an upset :)

After last years 2-0 and losing 4-2, anything is possible. :o

McDave wrote: »
    If we can muddle through to the last 16, we get a bit more revenue, and at least a shot at a decent UCL run. That will keep us relevant, and improve our chances for a couple of decent signings in January, including someone to replace the less than useless Costa.

But if we go out on Wednesday, we're seriously stuffed in balancing the books this season, and compromised for next season too. This ironically might mean having to hang on to Jose for the guts of another year, and using the proceeds from selling Hazard to put some cash on the table for next season.

It's not half as grim as that. We have plenty of wiggle room because of the Yokohama deal. If we sack Jose we only compensate him for 1 years work. We are comfortably FFP compliant at this stage and will be even more so with the less stringent rules in place. Look at City spending £200m, directly 1 year after being fines £50m for breaking FFP.

• Advertisement

FFP is a joke anyway. Spend away mad and f**k it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Garzorico

Euros are next summer. There are first team players who look as if they don't care if they don't get into their respective squads.

The problem has to be Jose, there's no other way to spin it. Things will not improve until he's gone. It's got an air of inevitability at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭phobia2011

OOhhhh....Chelsea we love you....we love you chelsea, we do..........

KTBFFH

Garzorico wrote: »
    Euros are next summer. There are first team players who look as if they don't care if they don't get into their respective squads.

The problem has to be Jose, there's no other way to spin it. Things will not improve until he's gone. It's got an air of inevitability at this stage.

Going through the squad all our European players will play with their clubs in Europe.

Anyone else scared about tomorrow or are we happy enough that Porto will more than likely come to play football thus, allowing us weaknesses to exploit?

I think it could be one of the most nerve racking European nights at the Bridge and its up there with Napoli 2012 for me.

Anyone else scared about tomorrow or are we happy enough that Porto will more than likely come to play football thus, allowing us weaknesses to exploit?

I think it could be one of the most nerve racking European nights at the Bridge and its up there with Napoli 2012 for me.

I'm a bit worried but I'm also a bit indifferent from watching us this season. Europa would be more at our current level.

Lukaku has 50 goals in 100 games for Everton.

Another victory for Jose's transfer policy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,781 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Lukker- wrote: »
    Lukaku has 50 goals in 100 games for Everton.

Another victory for Jose's transfer policy.

Lukaku I can half live with, he's had a few dry spells

But the fact KDB is ripping it up for City pisses me off so much

Lukaku I can half live with, he's had a few dry spells

But the fact KDB is ripping it up for City pisses me off so much

Lukaku never got a chance with us, a small bit of patience is required, he's only recently turned 22, ofc he's going to have a few dry spells.

KDB much the same. He got 2 games to prove himself and then he was shunted aside.

Jose is the most short sighted manager going and now it's coming back to haunt him. Partly the main reason I want him gone, he'll only get worse as he tries to claw his way back and he'll very likely sacrifice Ruben next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,781 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Lukaku never got a chance with us, a small bit of patience is required, he's only recently turned 22, ofc he's going to have a few dry spells.

KDB much the same. He got 2 games to prove himself and then he was shunted aside.

Jose is the most short sighted manager going and now it's coming back to haunt him. Partly the main reason I want him gone, he'll only get worse as he tries to claw his way back and he'll very likely sacrifice Ruben next.

Oh without a doubt Lukaku is good and will come good, but KDB is world class right now and I'm more green eyed looking at him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

Assuming Kiev win will a draw get you guys through on goal diff and if yes, in what place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

ronjo wrote: »
    Assuming Kiev win will a draw get you guys through on goal diff and if yes, in what place?

From BBC "Chelsea's fate in Group G is clear - they need a point from their meeting with Porto at Stamford Bridge to secure a place in the last 16." Doesn't answer your second question tho!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Yeah could very easily be a banana skin for us, they're a handy team and we're coming off the back off the latest knock in confidence too... Fingers crossed, we need to have a couple of meaningful games to look forward to.

Lukaku and KDB both were too big for their respective boots at the time in 2013/14.

I reckon had they kept the heads down and put in the work theyed have been kept but both wanted out.

Both would have easily played in our title winning year, and even Lukaku, had he not acted like a child would have played in 2013/14, lets not forget it was Demba Ba that was due to leave Chelsea that year on loan until Lukaku missed a penalty against Bayern and threw in a transfer request in the days after it, hence he ended up out on loan with Everton.

I'd have preferred KDB over Pedro long term but again, his attitude was off and maybe he needed to go away to re-evalute it but hes looking like the player he could have become if he stuck around.

Boooo, I thought we were playing tonight. :o

Its amazing that only 2 games ago, Porto looked nailed on to go through but if we win and Kyiv win, which they will, Porto will be out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Saadyst

Lukaku and KDB both were too big for their respective boots at the time in 2013/14.

I reckon had they kept the heads down and put in the work theyed have been kept but both wanted out.

Both would have easily played in our title winning year, and even Lukaku, had he not acted like a child would have played in 2013/14, lets not forget it was Demba Ba that was due to leave Chelsea that year on loan until Lukaku missed a penalty against Bayern and threw in a transfer request in the days after it, hence he ended up out on loan with Everton.

I'd have preferred KDB over Pedro long term but again, his attitude was off and maybe he needed to go away to re-evalute it but hes looking like the player he could have become if he stuck around.

IIRC, both the lads were asking for guaranteed playing time. The coach has to assert authority there.

Saadyst wrote: »
    IIRC, both the lads were asking for guaranteed playing time. The coach has to assert authority there.

Both, would have got it if they knuckled down.

Mata was sold in January and Schurrle left in the summer and Eto'o, Torres and Ba left in the summer too.

They were a bit eager to try and get into Belgiums WC starting XI and Lukaku, despite playing well for Everton that year was 2nd choice behind Origi and would have been 3rd choice if Benteke was fit it seems.

Given the struggles of Ba, Torre and Eto'o in front of goal, if Lukaku stuck around, he'd have easily got sustained game time.

KDB was absolutely right to ask for a transfer and he proved that he should be playing at Wolfsburg. He featured twice before Christmas and was never gonna wait around on the bench forever. If Mou had signed him for £50m you can guarantee he would have played every week. De Bruyne said Mourinho didn't even talk to him while at the club, if you are a young and up and coming guy who wants to nail down a spot at a World Cup(where he went on to be their best player) why would you stay at a club where the manager doesn't tell you what you have to do to get back in the team?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

• Advertisement

KDB was absolutely right to ask for a transfer and he proved that he should be playing at Wolfsburg. He featured twice before Christmas and was never gonna wait around on the bench forever. If Mou had signed him for £50m you can guarantee he would have played every week. De Bruyne said Mourinho didn't even talk to him while at the club, if you are a young and up and coming guy who wants to nail down a spot at a World Cup(where he went on to be their best player) why would you stay at a club where the manager doesn't tell you what you have to do to get back in the team?

Thats the same De Bruyne who apparently said he couldnt do what was asked of him?

I'm not bothered about losing either being honest, attitude is as important as ability at the elite level and by dropping down a level and havung the fire to prove someone wrong, De Bruyne has done very well for himself.

Summary of the Presser :

Working with Costa and the team to score more goals.

Trying to eliminate soft goals.

Jose trying to avoid the Europa League, its not fair on teams in EL thats UCL teams drop into the cup.

Jose has the backing of the squad and owner.

Courtois says we'll come good, ditto for Hazard.

Expects everyone to fight for wins, coaches and players.

Courtois says last year there was 8 players playing really well and 3 playing ok, now its the other way around.

Thats the same De Bruyne who apparently said he couldnt do what was asked of him?

I'm not bothered about losing either being honest, attitude is as important as ability at the elite level and by dropping down a level and havung the fire to prove someone wrong, De Bruyne has done very well for himself.

The key word being apparently.

Any interview with KDB and he says Mourinho barely spoke to him, only to tell him he was doing well in training but still never pick him.

The key word being apparently.

Any interview with KDB and he says Mourinho barely spoke to him, only to tell him he was doing well in training but still never pick him.

Thats his version of it though, both have said conflicting reports. I'd be inclined to believe Mourinho though.

He was brought back and played on pre-season and done well enough, and set up a goal on his first EPL start against Hull, he was pants against Villa in his next game and he was barely seen until he was sold.

Lets hope we dont fall by the way side now like Utd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

Chelsea getting CL qualifications this season......would that be Mourinhos greatest achievement given the way things have gone so far?

• Advertisement

obezyana wrote: »
    Chelsea getting CL qualifications this season......would that be Mourinhos greatest achievement given the way things have gone so far?

Id take not getting relegated at this stage as an achievment. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

Id take not getting relegated at this stage as an achievment. :D

That definitely wont happen........I hope.....nah I think we will go on a good run and climb the table quickly enough after Xmas. The premier league isn't great and Chelsea are pretty much the best team in it and when we get going it will all be grand :-D

Lets hope we dont fall by the way side now like Utd.

I would have little confidence, even less if Ivan and Cesc plays - well are on the pitch they have hardly played all season

obezyana wrote: »

Zero chance of qualifying for the CL.

We are near the half way point and we are 3 points away from the bottom. It'd be a small miracle if he got us Europa league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Zero chance of qualifying for the CL.

We are near the half way point and we are 3 points away from the bottom. It'd be a small miracle if he got us Europa league.

Best chance of qualifying is to lose tomorrow and win the Europa :/

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement