Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I said it weeks ago if we dont get 4th and we wont now, its very important to stay away from the europa league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I said it weeks ago if we dont get 4th and we wont now, its very important to stay away from the europa league

I disagree, silverware is silverware and no European football would really hurt our income. When we won it in 2013 we made more money in the Europa League then any English clubs made in the Champions League.

Lukker- wrote: »
    I disagree, silverware is silverware and no European football would really hurt our income. When we won it in 2013 we made more money in the Europa League then any English clubs made in the Champions League.

It would be good for the younger players to get game time but we'd never take the competition seriously if we had a shoot at the title next year and we were playing Thursday night in Kazakhstan and away on a sunday. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

I definitely value the competition but if it meant taking a year to focus only on the league and getting the team back on their feet I would happily skip the Europa cup for a season.

Now if we happen to lose tonight and go into the Europa I would want us to take it just as seriously as the CL, it's still a major cup imo.

Well we've a 66% chance of making the K/O stages, I'm pretty confident we'll do it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Very hard to judge the Thursday League really. There seems to be little focus on it in England and Germany certainly seems well regarded in Spain and Portugal would have little idea about Italy. If we are in it come 22:00 then we should certainly have a pop at it, this season is a write off but it would be nice to have a run at anything to be honest.

But how is the Europa League viewed in Asia (and to a lesser degree the US). They are important markets as can be seen by the recent massive investments in City, A Madrid and ourselves through Yokohama. If they look upon the competition with a degree of seriousness then we would be foolish to treat it with disdain money is important and we will want a few schillings for the ground naming rights in a few years.

That said would much prefer to win the CL again.

Very hard to judge the Thursday League really. There seems to be little focus on it in England and Germany certainly seems well regarded in Spain and Portugal would have little idea about Italy. If we are in it come 22:00 then we should certainly have a pop at it, this season is a write off but it would be nice to have a run at anything to be honest.

But how is the Europa League viewed in Asia (and to a lesser degree the US). They are important markets as can be seen by the recent massive investments in City, A Madrid and ourselves through Yokohama. If they look upon the competition with a degree of seriousness then we would be foolish to treat it with disdain money is important and we will want a few schillings for the ground naming rights in a few years.

That said would much prefer to win the CL again.

If we do drop into it we might as well go all out for it, it'll be our best chance of making the UCL next year. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭what a day

What are ya's all on about....we are gonna win the CL again.

Ha ha no im honestly at a loss when it comes to EL, it is a great way to qualify for CL again but do we take forth spot qualification away form PL again?? if so that would be fun!

I really think Mou should really know by now the players he wants to hang on to next season so why not drop them and play the likes of Kenedy Cheek and Traore instead.

what a day wrote: »
    What are ya's all on about....we are gonna win the CL again.

Ha ha no im honestly at a loss when it comes to EL, it is a great way to qualify for CL again but do we take forth spot qualification away form PL again?? if so that would be fun!

I really think Mou should really know by now the players he wants to hang on to next season so why not drop them and play the likes of Kenedy Cheek and Traore instead.

Whats going to happen is we're going to win tonight, top our group and pull PSG or Juventus in the next round and get knocked out. :o

My bet for tonight anyway, small stake, Arsenal and Chelsea BTTS and win, 16/1.

Also putting a small stake on BTTS in the 1st half in each game, 18/1.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

BTTS ?

anyway, are RTE showing Chelsea Porto tonight ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,752 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

BTTS ?

Nope, Arsenal vs. Olympiakos

BTTS ?

Both teams to score

• GavRedKing wrote: »

Betfair?

Not bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

duploelabs wrote: »
    Nope, Arsenal vs. Olympiakos

Ah **** off RTE with your anti CHELSEA bullshiît

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Betfair?

Not bad

PP mate, had a small stake on both earlier.

Even though I put up the Utd/Wolfsburg risk free bet I forgot to get on it myself before the game. :o

Not much match talk anyway today, about 2hrs to kick off, about an hour from the teams being announced, what do we reckon will be the starting line up?

I'm going to assume JT is fit and say

Courtois
    Ivan Zouma JT Azp
    Matic Ramires
    Willian Cesc Hazard
    Costa

Although I'd really like to see

Courtois
    Azp Zouma JT Rahman
    Matic Ramires
    Willian Oscar Hazard
    Pedro

Cesc is dropped if the media is to be believed. Terry back, most likely Matic and Rami midfield, Willian, Hazard and Pedro behind Costa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Bigger fanbase in Ireland. It's not that RTE are anti-chelsea, it's just that Arsenal fans provide more advertising revenue to them.

I can actually see both Chelsea and Arsenal failing to get the win tonight. More so the latter though. I still think ye'll win, but it's a very tough match, especially considering yer form.

• Advertisement

Cesc is dropped if the media is to be believed. Terry back, most likely Matic and Rami midfield, Willian, Hazard and Pedro behind Costa.

I wouldnt mind that at all, I'd prefer to see Kenedy and or RLC but thats not going to happen in such a crunch match.
    Turtwig wrote: »
    Bigger fanbase in Ireland. It's not that RTE are anti-chelsea, it's just that Arsenal fans provide more advertising revenue to them.

I can actually see both Chelsea and Arsenal failing to get the win tonight. More so the latter though. I still think ye'll win, but it's a very tough match, especially considering yer form.

100%, more fans = more people wathcing the TV.

It would take no English sides being left in the competition for RTE to show us.

I reckon we'll win, a narrow 2-1, we've generally performed better against teams who look to play football (bar Liverpool and City) this year anyway.

I really want to win and avoid 2nd place but with PSG and Juventus in the 2nd seed pot, theres still the chance you'll win your group and get a very tough game.

Really good article.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/1716/champions-league/2015/12/09/18153412/tactically-outdated-mourinho-must-reinvent-himself-just-like?ICID=HP_HN_1&utm_referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.reddit.com%2Fr%2Fchelseafc%2F

Ferguson was constantly able to reinvent himself, that's why he was able to stick around for so long. Mourinho so far seems incapable of doing so. He's been using the same formation and tactics since his Inter team 6 years ago. It's been well and truly figured out and if he doesn't evolve with the game, his time will come sooner rather then later and it will be for the better.

Team is

Tbo
    Ivan Zouma JT Azp
    Matic Ramires
    Willian Oscar Hazard
    Costa

Chelsea Subs

begovic
    Cahill
    Mikel Kenedy Cesc
    Pedro Remy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,752 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Great to see Cesc not even in the team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

It doesn't really surprise me TBH. Too many of our matches in the UCL are actually quite boring. Arsenal are more entertaining.

Which kind of brings us to where we're going. If he's sticking to his gameplan, RA will be looking for a more entertaining Jose Mk 2. He's about to spend big on a new stadium. He'll want to fill it regularly, and improve the footballing performance for better TV exposure.

A lot rides on tonight. For Jose, his future credibility as a manager. For Chelsea, the construction of a new way of playing ball.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

Happy with that team. Would have rathered Remy to start tho tbh

Happy enough with that team too, Oscar will need to have a strong game if our midfield is going to be effective at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭weiland79

Season kicks off here lads. 2-1 winners.

Costa playing on the shoulder and we score. I don't believe it.

Costa should have buried that, but take the lucky break!

• Advertisement

Sound!

Hazard has been invisable so far

Decemt start anyway

Another before HT would be nice.

Costa booked....ffs

Thats stupid

He's such a dick

Ramires at least providing some energy in cm.

You think he'd ever learn to cop himself on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭redman85

What an idiot!

• Advertisement

Was never a peno on 2nd viewing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

Is Costa at it again :-D

Costa booked....ffs

He just about touched him and casillas made the most of it... Still no need for it though.

Willians free kick was nearly perfecr

You wouldn't mind so much if he was scoring

hots wrote: »
    He just about touched him and casillas made the most of it... Still no need for it though.

Oh he defo over reacted but he knows costa ;)

Champs league draw is on Monday, hope were in it.

How long before we see Jon Obi Mikel :pac:

Very nearly a 2nd

• Advertisement

Best move I've seen all season

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement