Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Well it's not as if anything is rigged :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

peteeeed wrote: »
    Well it's not as if anything is rigged :)

PSG will want to avoid us I reckon but we're one of the weakest group winners this year thats for sure.

I reckon we'd beat Gent, PSV, Roma, and even Benfica on our day, its the Juve and PSG games that I wouldnt be too hopeful about though.

So given theres 4 teams I wouldnt mind playing and 2 I'd wanna avoid, we're gling to draw PSG arent we? :o

The 2nd leg is at home though for us so thats a small advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

GavRedKing wrote: »
    PSG will want to avoid us I reckon but we're one of the weakest group winners this year thats for sure.

I reckon we'd beat Gent, PSV, Roma, and even Benfica on our day, its the Juve and PSG games that I wouldnt be too hopeful about though.

So given theres 4 teams I wouldnt mind playing and 2 I'd wanna avoid, we're gling to draw PSG arent we? :o

The 2nd leg is at home though for us so thats a small advantage.

Its so much more enjoying having the draw to look forward to when you sneak on the last day isnt it? :D

ronjo wrote: »
    Its so much more enjoying having the draw to look forward to when you sneak on the last day isnt it? :D

We didnt have a great escape like you guys but it is ncie to be involved in the latter stages, even if it mightnt last all that long. :o

I always expected us to get at least a draw and finish 2nd, Porto droping Abubakar last night was strange, they had no presence up front to try and bully JT and Zouma, Corona done well and so too did Brahimi but most of their efforts came from outside the box and only Brahimis last minute volley troubled Courtois.

Was a weird selection by Porto, the had about 60% of the ball but all in areas where it dodnt hurt us, a better side with a CF leading the line and 60% of the ball could have doen some damage last night.

Still though, delighted to have topped the group and you're likely not to see an as comfortable 2-0 ion a while, could have been many more to us but again our open play finishing is pretty dire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

We didnt have a great escape like you guys but it is ncie to be involved in the latter stages, even if it mightnt last all that long. :o

I always expected us to get at least a draw and finish 2nd, Porto droping Abubakar last night was strange, they had no presence up front to try and bully JT and Zouma, Corona done well and so too did Brahimi but most of their efforts came from outside the box and only Brahimis last minute volley troubled Courtois.

Was a weird selection by Porto, the had about 60% of the ball but all in areas where it dodnt hurt us, a better side with a CF leading the line and 60% of the ball could have doen some damage last night.

Still though, delighted to have topped the group and you're likely not to see an as comfortable 2-0 ion a while, could have been many more to us but again our open play finishing is pretty dire.

I was confused by them dropping him too, sit him on Terry and he could have had a field day imo. Although saying that they were more dangerous before he came on I'd say.

hots wrote: »
    I was confused by them dropping him too, sit him on Terry and he could have had a field day imo. Although saying that they were more dangerous before he came on I'd say.

Himself and Zouma done pretty well in certain situations where in the last few games players were getting through and getting chances.

Someone mentioned Zouma lumping balls out of defence in a panic, I have no issue with that being honest, better safe than sorry.

Zouma, while not being as comfortable as JT, Cahill or Luiz on the ball isnt bad either, hes got a decent pass on him but he clearly didnt want to make a mistake that leads to a goal by faffing around with it, ala the Newcastle goal a few months back. Hoof first, have an inquest afterwards.

Now in saying that, Stones was excellent on the ball the other night against Palace, just saying. :o;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Himself and Zouma done pretty well in certain situations where in the last few games players were getting through and getting chances.

Someone mentioned Zouma lumping balls out of defence in a panic, I have no issue with that being honest, better safe than sorry.

Zouma, while not being as comfortable as JT, Cahill or Luiz on the ball isnt bad either, hes got a decent pass on him but he clearly didnt want to make a mistake that leads to a goal by faffing around with it, ala the Newcastle goal a few months back. Hoof first, have an inquest afterwards.

Now in saying that, Stones was excellent on the ball the other night against Palace, just saying. :o;)

Agreed, would much rather the safety-first attitude. He's grown well so far this season, has the most minutes out of the 3 CBs, one of the few positives of the season. He's a little reliant on his physical advantages at the moment so hopefully he keeps learning from JT so he doesn't even have to make the more spectacular saving tackles as much.

hots wrote: »
    Agreed, would much rather the safety-first attitude. He's grown well so far this season, has the most minutes out of the 3 CBs, one of the few positives of the season. He's a little reliant on his physical advantages at the moment so hopefully he keeps learning from JT so he doesn't even have to make the more spectacular saving tackles as much.

Ya, hes still quiet young, only gone on 21 a few months ago and his decision making and positioning is yet to come close to what it can be in say 5 years time, even the next 6-18months under JT will serve him very well.

One thing is for sure though, hes the future at CB for us and I'd love if we could add Stones next to him long term and also Christensen.

Bit of afternoon transfer rubbish

The Blues want to sign Real Madrid star James Rodriguez, who is considering his future at the Bernabeu, in the summer (Don Balon)

– Chelsea are now the favourites to land West Brom striker Saido Berahino, with the Baggies refusing to do business with Tottenham (Daily Mirror)

– Zlatan Ibrahimovich could join Jose Mourinho’s men as early as January as the club prepare a £300,000 a week contract offer (Sport Italia)

– West Ham are hoping to hijack Chelsea’s move for Boca Juniors forward Jonathan Calleri (Calciomercato)

Bit of afternoon transfer rubbish

The Blues want to sign Real Madrid star James Rodriguez, who is considering his future at the Bernabeu, in the summer (Don Balon)

– Chelsea are now the favourites to land West Brom striker Saido Berahino, with the Baggies refusing to do business with Tottenham (Daily Mirror)

– Zlatan Ibrahimovich could join Jose Mourinho’s men as early as January as the club prepare a £300,000 a week contract offer (Sport Italia)

– West Ham are hoping to hijack Chelsea’s move for Boca Juniors forward Jonathan Calleri (Calciomercato)

I'd take James
    Berahino is useless
    Ibra is too long in the tooth for those wages
    Calleri looks very talented alright but would he want to come to England?

• Advertisement

I'd take James
    Berahino is useless
    Ibra is too long in the tooth for those wages
    Calleri looks very talented alright but would he want to come to England?

How generous of you to take one of the most exciting players in the world :pac:

We're nice that way. :pac:

Theres not many #10's available anyway in the "world class" bracket and I'd seriously doubt if James is available but given what Monaco and then Real paid for him, he'd be coming for nothing short of about £60m.

I'd actually love Isco, and I reckon he'd be easier to get hold of than James.

Theres not many #10's available anyway in the "world class" bracket and I'd seriously doubt if James is available but given what Monaco and then Real paid for him, he'd be coming for nothing short of about £60m.

Well ye can f*ck off away from our No.10 :pac:

Well ye can f*ck off away from our No.10 :pac:

I said world class :P :pac:

Nah, I want Isco if we end up selling Oscar.

I said world class :P :pac:

Nah, I want Isco if we end up selling Oscar.

Haha,,,,, I hope owners and managers of all the super rich clubs feel the same way :D

Haha,,,,, I hope owners and managers of all the super rich clubs feel the same way :D

Its very hard to raid another huge club for talent unless the other club wnats to sell.

Fact is all of us in the EPL are a level below the like of Bayern, Barca and Real, if a player wants to go to them theres very little you can do.....maybe plug out the fax machine. :o

Ozil, Sanchez, Cesc, Di Maria, all recent examples, were allowed to leave by their previous clubs but if they werent been replaced by upgrades theres no way theyed have been let go.

Still though, those players are all elite level and I'm happy we ended up with one of them.

I cant see Sanchez or Ozil upping sticks anytime soon either, theyve no reason to anyway, good money in the best city in England and always playing at an elite level? Whats not to like. :pac:

Its very hard to raid another huge club for talent unless the other club wnats to sell.

Fact is all of us in the EPL are a level below the like of Bayern, Barca and Real, if a player wants to go to them theres very little you can do.....maybe plug out the fax machine. :o

Ozil, Sanchez, Cesc, Di Maria, all recent examples, were allowed to leave by their previous clubs but if they werent been replaced by upgrades theres no way theyed have been let go.

Still though, those players are all elite level and I'm happy we ended up with one of them.

I cant see Sanchez or Ozil upping sticks anytime soon either, theyve no reason to anyway, good money in the best city in England and always playing at an elite level? Whats not to like. :pac:

Exactly and its not as if they are expected to play on (shudder) Thursday nights ! :pac::pac:

As long as it's not part of a swap for hazard

• Advertisement

As long as it's not part of a swap for hazard

They can have Oscar. :pac:

Tidy finish from the young lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

Guess you could say he'd be going for "north" of £60m..

Costa said on Spanish radio he was wrong to throw his bib off the other day and it was an impulse.

Costa also mentioned he wouldnt rule out a return to Atletico one day.

Que a lot of tabloid rubbish saying Costa ants to go back and is to be sold in January. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

He also said if that bib had actually hit Mourinho he'd be gone already :d

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Very tough game on Monday, I'd take a draw now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

After the Porto performance, it's time now to ditch underperformers and make them fight for their places.

With the UCL out of the way for a while, we need a run of EPL results and see where we stand. A win against Leicester would be a statement. But in our fragile state, it might be too much to expect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

Johner wrote: »
    Very tough game on Monday, I'd take a draw now.

At 15th position we should be looking to get max from all games ..

McDave wrote: »
    After the Porto performance, it's time now to ditch underperformers and make them fight for their places.

With the UCL out of the way for a while, we need a run of EPL results and see where we stand. A win against Leicester would be a statement. But in our fragile state, it might be too much to expect.
    I'm felling confident about this game actually ..

• Advertisement

At 15th position we should be looking to get max from all games ..

16th now with Newcastles win :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Imagine in early April or so, when Chelsea were cruising to the league and Leicester were totally doomedand miles from safety, if someone had said Chelsea would be going to Leicester nearly 20 points behind after 15 games and potentially as underdogs?

Mad how things can change

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Imagine in early April or so, when Chelsea were cruising to the league and Leicester were totally doomedand miles from safety, if someone had said Chelsea would be going to Leicester nearly 20 points behind after 15 games and potentially as underdogs?

Mad how things can change

Pretty mental alright, but I think we'll do well tonight ..

We'll win tonight, I'm confident of that. Dont think we'll keep a clean sheet as Leicesters biggest threat is clearly on the counter and thats probably our achilles heel this year.

They give up chances and I reckon the same XI that beat Porto will do a number on Leicester, 3-1 Chelsea.

Courtois
    Ivan Zouma JT Azp
    Matic Ramires
    Willian Oscar Hazard
    Costa

PSG, **** off.

Worst possible draw by far, not a hope of us getting through.

For F*cks sake!!!!!!!
    Gent v Wolfsburg

Roma v Real Madrid

Paris St-Germain v Chelsea

Arsenal v Barcelona

Juventus v Bayern Munich

PSV Eindhoven v Atletico Madrid

Benfica v Zenit St Petersburg

Dynamo Kiev v Manchester City

Allthough LOL at Arsenal !!

Juve must be kicking themselves, theyve not got to play Bayern.

Arsenal got screwed again.

City got a gimme.

Sure, we might awell play our annual PSG game. Its 1-1 in UCL K/O's and we've won 1 game and PSG won 1 game, the other 2 were draws.

Dont think we'll get through either being honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Well City should make the last 8, from an English differential perspective Juve and Roma have difficult ties as well.

PSG again damn really have to up the game this time.

Well City should make the last 8, from an English differential perspective Juve and Roma have difficult ties as well.

Good point about Italian teams. They most likely wont have a representative in the quarter finals.

• Advertisement

2nd leg at home yeah ?

We didnt deserve to be k/o'd by them last year but this year theyre as good as last year and we're a million miles away from where we should be.

Expecting to lose in Paris and probably win in London but if the damage is done in Paris, we're screwed.

2nd leg at home yeah ?

Yup, small comfort but in the home leg last year they equalised in E.T. and went through on away goals.

That really annoys me with the away goals counting in ET in a 2nd leg, basically giving the otherside 30mins to score a crucial away goals.

Dont think we'll be caught by away goals this year, think we'll go out 3-2 on agg. :o

Yup, small comfort but in the home leg last year they equalised in E.T. and went through on away goals.

That really annoys me with the away goals counting in ET in a 2nd leg, basically giving the otherside 30mins to score a crucial away goals.

Dont think we'll be caught by away goals this year, think we'll go out 3-2 on agg. :o

Zlatan will be up for this after the babies comment last year ;)

Zlatan will be up for this after the babies comment last year ;)

Zlatan rarely performs against English sides though, part of the reason people dont rate him that watch English sides come up against his sides in the past.

They dominated CM the last time with Matudi, Veratti and Motta, allowed them to play the game at their own pace in Paris.

The 2 goals we left in, Luiz header was unstopable, one of the best headers from a corner I've seen in a long time, the 2nd was a joke.

Courtois had somehow just kept Silvas effort for a corner, very next corner ball goes to the same man, a good 2 inches smaller than either of our CBs and he loops a ball over Courtois. Given their 2 best options at corners were Luiz and Silva and both scored on the night was a disgrace, IMO from the backline.

I dont fear them but I dont think we'll beat, which probably sounds weird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

I'm pretty happy to get psg, it gives an opportunity for revenge and if you want to progress in the champions league you have to beat some good teams. Roll on Paris.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

What is with Chelsea and PSG again ! Think I would have preferred the 2nd leg away this time and make the away goals count.

We have to score in Paris to have any hope over the tie.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

We can only hope this season is the mirror image of last season. That being the case we should be fantastic after Christmas - big if fair enough but you have to believe. Given our late start to pre-season no extra matches to be played in the Capital One Cup we should be fresh enough come late Feb. PSG are a good side but then so are we it will be tight as both matches have been so far but certainly winnable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

When is the psg game ? Feb is it ? We could in serious form by then, I wouldn't write us off at all

• Advertisement

rottie 11 wrote: »
    When is the psg game ? Feb is it ? We could in serious form by then, I wouldn't write us off at all

Given our form of late in the league, 1 win in 6, we're very much in relegation form and our position reflects that.

Tonight will be tough but the extra time to prepare for tonight will hopefully see us good.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement