Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Turtwig wrote: »
    No disrespect to Chelsea but your club is in a volatile state for managers. Allegri is in my view heavily underrated. I'd rather he went somewhere other than Chelsea to build a bigger reputation. The Chelsea position, is rightly or wrongly a poison chalice. :(

Tbh I think it's perfectly in line with every other major European club now.

And also the 2 previous times that managers were supposedly sacked by player power I think it was the right decision at the right time.

Was AVB gonna bring us any further?

Scolari?

Chelsea actually kind of paved the way for how modern football clubs deal with management, there is such a strong coaching team and background team there that have been at the club for years. When a manager eventually leaves and someone replaces him it's not a monumental change like before and the foundations generally stays the same. It's a method that has been copied by other big teams. I think Jose actually beat the curve this time around, he was the second longest serving manager in the league at the time. Management these days is a 2-3 year job if you are lucky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

In fairness even though I do not think Jose should have been sacked do you not think Roman was patient most managers would have been hauled ashore long since. Whilst he always was a bit trigger happy I think he really wanted Josecto succeed and that could stand him on good stead that he wants continuity.

Exactly that, Jose as much as I didn't want him to go got more than a fair shake. He has the current champions flirting with relegation for fûck sake.
    I think Roman has more than demonstrated his desire to build a long term relationship with a manager and in the end jose's increasingly detrimental behaviour forced his hand. To call our managerial situation volotile is a little disingenuous to be fair, there's not many top teams would put up with our current performances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Didn't mind watching Match of the Day tonight!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Sky sports news : official pep leaving Bayern , Carlo taking over in the summer

• Advertisement

Watford beating Pool 2-0.

It's gonna be a tough game, much harder then Sunderland.

I'd love a win, we are only 11 points behind 4th. It's a big ask and I don't expect us to get it, but it gives the squad something tangible to aim for and the way the league is going this year, everyone is going to drop points. My hope is to just string as many wins together between now and PSG and see what happens.

Hiddink confirmed that he wants to bring Drogba back as an assistant
    'I'd be happy to have him here. At the moment he is still attached to his contract in Canada. But it is intended that he's involved.'

http://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation.com/2015/12/20/10629610/hiddink-confirms-chelsea-planning-to-bring-back-didier-drogba

Lukker- wrote: »
    Watford beating Pool 2-0.

It's gonna be a tough game, much harder then Sunderland.

I'd love a win, we are only 11 points behind 4th. It's a big ask and I don't expect us to get it, but it gives the squad something tangible to aim for and the way the league is going this year, everyone is going to drop points. My hope is to just string as many wins together between now and PSG and see what happens.

3-0 ft

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

What's the chances of Watford actually buying Ake from Chelsea? How highly regarded is he? He's been amazing for them and they'll try their best of sign him in the summer if Chelsea are interested.

I also highly rate Chelsea's chances of beating Watford next week. Ake out of the back four will force a rejig with Anya slotting in there, and each time that's happened this season, Watford have looked pretty terrible.

I think bringing back back drogba is a fairly blatant attempt to appease the fans, I for one would be happy to see him back but am more than a little surprised that he decided to make an appearance on Saturday considering how close he was with Jose.
    I know Jose has no place for sentiment when it came to older players so I'm wondering if drogba has issue with Jose's management from last season too?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/35129915

Dick head ... why bring his daughter into it ?

kev1.3s wrote: »
    I think bringing back back drogba is a fairly blatant attempt to appease the fans, I for one would be happy to see him back but am more than a little surprised that he decided to make an appearance on Saturday considering how close he was with Jose.
    I know Jose has no place for sentiment when it came to older players so I'm wondering if drogba has issue with Jose's management from last season too?

Probably just happy to get an opportunity to work with the club. He said earlier in the season that the 3rd season syndrome with Jose existed and was because of exhaustion and high demands, also said you become more immune to his methods of motivating.

Fabregas didn't start the revolt against Mou so can we please put that to bed, him getting booed was disgraceful tbh.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/12060568/Chelsea-news-Jose-Mourinho-and-Cesc-Fabregas-were-allies-not-enemies.html

a lot of papers running with pep to city Manuel Pellegrini to chelsea

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭what a day

Ah i dont want Pelligrino TBH he spent a fortune on players and did not progress in europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

peteeeed wrote: »
    a lot of papers running with pep to city Manuel Pellegrini to chelsea

That story broke on yesterday or Saturday, basically means I'm following Leicester if we get Pellegrini. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Can't see Pepe ending up anywhere bar City, Pellegrini is a poor manager City have a fantastic side that he does little with best we could hope for is top 4 with him silverware would be missing.
    But who do we get Jose is out of bounds and sure to end up at OT, Pepe will be his next door neighbour, Carlo is off to Munich there are the best 3 in the world (well possibly the Barca coach as well but can't see him going anywhere) so whoever we get will not be at the top table. United possibly can't believe their luck have a run at getting Pepe and if that fails get Jose.
    How stupid are we?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Fabregas didn't start the revolt against Mou so can we please put that to bed, him getting booed was disgraceful tbh.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/12060568/Chelsea-news-Jose-Mourinho-and-Cesc-Fabregas-were-allies-not-enemies.html
    Well Fabregas certainly played like someone who did not give a sh!t.

Can't see Pepe ending up anywhere bar City, Pellegrini is a poor manager City have a fantastic side that he does little with best we could hope for is top 4 with him silverware would be missing.
    But who do we get Jose is out of bounds and sure to end up at OT, Pepe will be his next door neighbour, Carlo is off to Munich there are the best 3 in the world (well possibly the Barca coach as well but can't see him going anywhere) so whoever we get will not be at the top table. United possibly can't believe their luck have a run at getting Pepe and if that fails get Jose.
    How stupid are we?

I was thinking the same, it could probably turn out that our best bet was to keep gus with drogba as assistant, depending on how they get on of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Tbh I didn't have a problem with himself and Costa getting booed, and Hazard to if he was on the pitch.

It was more for the sh/te performances and lack of effort than any soap-drama imo. There was a good reason Oscar was applauded off and the other two weren't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

How stupid are we?

Exactly, we've let two of the top three go sure! And Pep is the opposite of our style. Means we'll be taking a punt on someone stepping up a notch (not a bad thing if it works out) but we really need to back them fully.

Guus might have a different approach regarding the players he chooses.

Hes apparently already met Jose to discuss the squad and get some information, so that may or may not influence his decision regarding some players for the rest of the season.

His record for us the 1st time around was pretty good.

Played 22
    Won 16
    Drawn 5
    Lost 1
    Goals for 41
    Goals against 19

Although that tenure only lasted from Feb - May so hes for an extra 6 weeks now in charge but if we manage a similar record until the end of the season I'd be delighted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭bullpost

I'm more optimistic after the weekend.
    Theres the nucleus of a good team there and with some tweaking and tlc we should star climbing the table and hopefully set ourselves up nicely for next year.
    All we really need to do now is avoid relegation this year. This should allow us a certain freedom to experiment once we secure our place for next year in the premiership.
    We could make life uncomfortable for some of the clubs at the top in the run in.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Guus might have a different approach regarding the players he chooses.

Hes apparently already met Jose to discuss the squad and get some information, so that may or may not influence his decision regarding some players for the rest of the season.

His record for us the 1st time around was pretty good.

Played 22
    Won 16
    Drawn 5
    Lost 1
    Goals for 41
    Goals against 19

Although that tenure only lasted from Feb - May so hes for an extra 6 weeks now in charge but if we manage a similar record until the end of the season I'd be delighted.

bullpost wrote: »
    I'm more optimistic after the weekend.
    Theres the nucleus of a good team there and with some tweaking and tlc we should star climbing the table and hopefully set ourselves up nicely for next year.
    All we really need to do now is avoid relegation this year. This should allow us a certain freedom to experiment once we secure our place for next year in the premiership.
    We could make life uncomfortable for some of the clubs at the top in the run in.

How the mighty have fallen. :o

Whats well and truly annoying is its one of the poorest years in recent memory in the EPL, we've lost to Pool who are only 6 pts up on us, Everton, who are only 5 pts above us and thats just a small indication of how poor the league is.

Had we been playing at 75% of last years performances we'd be up and around top 5 or 6 and well placed to win the league again, its fantastic to see Leicester do so well but the consistency of the bigger clubs has been very patchy.

If we get all our ducks lined up for the 2016/17 season theres nothing to suggest we cant be succesful.

Its going to take a lot of hard work regardless but if we can sort out the management situation before signing any players or at the very least, communicate with the potential new manager who he'd prefer we chase in the summer before he signs, that will give us some indication as to where to look.

The candidates seem to be Pep, Allegri, Simeone and Pellegrini.

Problem is 2 of them dont speak English, 1 of them is probably the most wanted man in management and the other has done well enough with Coty but he'd be bottom of my list being honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭bullpost

The devil in me would love to see Jose at Utd. and Pep at City.
    If we get all our ducks lined up for the 2016/17 season theres nothing to suggest we cant be succesful.

Its going to take a lot of hard work regardless but if we can sort out the management situation before signing any players or at the very least, communicate with the potential new manager who he'd prefer we chase in the summer before he signs, that will give us some indication as to where to look.

The candidates seem to be Pep, Allegri, Simeone and Pellegrini.

Problem is 2 of them dont speak English, 1 of them is probably the most wanted man in management and the other has done well enough with Coty but he'd be bottom of my list being honest.

There was a good post I read elsewhere comparing a now 19 year old Christensen, with a then 19 year old Stones from 2 seasons ago.

Basically all the signs point towards Christensen being the better long term project for Chelsea and also we wont have to spend 40m + on a CB if and when he comes back.
    We shouldn't be comparing the two of them, as of now, Christensen is still only 19 and has two years, years in which a lot of development can and should happen, of developing to catch up with Stones.

Stones as of 2 years ago had only accrued 28 minutes of Premier league experience and will only get given a chance in the Everton side after the turn of the year due to a mass of injuries, (which happened again last season to bring him back into the side his career was also helped along by the drastic loss of form of players like Distin creating a place for Stones in the EVerton side and bringing him in to the overhyping lime light this seems to be the progreeion though for all EVerton youngsters Gallaway being this seasons new in thing, where as Christensen has pushed himself back into a reasonably strong Champions league quality side, and with 1260 minutes of Bundesliga experience, 12 minutes in the Premier league experience and 450 minutes of Champions League experience as well as being a fully capped International.

Christensen is far more experienced at a much higher level that Stones was at this stage of his Career.

Cant really argue with the figures either and Chrsitensne was touted as a major talent even last year, only reason he was sent on loan was he signed a long term deal and was promised more first team football, which seems to have seriously helped him out.

If that happens and we then get stuck with Pellegrini, we'll be pi**ing into the wind. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭what a day

There was a good post I read elsewhere comparing a now 19 year old Christensen, with a then 19 year old Stones from 2 seasons ago.

Basically all the signs point towards Christensen being the better long term project for Chelsea and also we wont have to spend 40m + on a CB if and when he comes back.

Cant really argue with the figures either and Chrsitensne was touted as a major talent even last year, only reason he was sent on loan was he signed a long term deal and was promised more first team football, which seems to have seriously helped him out.

Good point gav but we gotta catch em all!!

Why not have Christiansen Zouma and Stones 3 good CBs with Cahill as the senior plenty of games and injuries to have 4 quality CBs in a squad.

• Advertisement

what a day wrote: »
    Good point gav but we gotta catch em all!!

Why not have Christiansen Zouma and Stones 3 good CBs with Cahill as the senior plenty of games and injuries to have 4 quality CBs in a squad.

I agree, 3 quality CBs and youre sorted, the bean counters however may not see Stones as value and with missing out on European football next year, we'll have less revenue to count on too.

A mate who supports Utd asked me did I think Chelsea would go back in for Lukaku or Mata now that Jose is gone and both got me thinking, Jose didnt really want to lose either but was happy enough to get good value for them at the time.

TBH, I cant see either in a Chelsea shirt ever again but I'd have kept Lukaku if he didnt acted like a child. Hes also one of only 5 players to get 50 EPL goals before he was 23, joins pretty good company on that list, Owen, Fowler, Ronaldo and Rooney.

Someone asked about selling Ake to Watford, can t find the post now. :o

Anyway, I reckon Ake will become another one thats sold, hes had a decent loan at Watford and hes a Dutch youth international, there was big things expected from him from Chelsea but hes been played CDM, CB and LB through his Chelsea career, never really got time to play either bar a few mins here and there.

I fear RLc will go the same way in the next 18months.

Express running with Jose to Utd to replace LVG on a 5 year deal.

FWIW, I think its only a matter of time before that happens anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

Express running with Jose to Utd to replace LVG on a 5 year deal.

FWIW, I think its only a matter of time before that happens anyway.

Yeah he'd given the impression before hadn't he.

symbolic wrote: »
    Yeah he'd given the impression before hadn't he.

Turn them down once for what was meant to be his last club job in management.

If Utd want him this time, theres no Chelsea to get in the way.

Someone asked about selling Ake to Watford, can t find the post now. :o

Anyway, I reckon Ake will become another one thats sold, hes had a decent loan at Watford and hes a Dutch youth international, there was big things expected from him from Chelsea but hes been played CDM, CB and LB through his Chelsea career, never really got time to play either bar a few mins here and there.

I fear RLc will go the same way in the next 18months.

whoever comes in next it would be nice to see someone who will play some of the younger players, i love jose but he was never really interested always choosing experience over youth , with RLC he would say he didnt have the tactical know how to play

• Advertisement

Well Fabregas certainly played like someone who did not give a sh!t.

So did 90% of the team. I think the singling out of players based on sh*te articles in the paper is stupid. Some of the banners there on Saturday were frankly an embarrassment,

peteeeed wrote: »
    whoever comes in next it would be nice to see someone who will play some of the younger players, i love jose but he was never really interested always choosing experience over youth , with RLC he would say he didnt have the tactical know how to play
    #

Well the core of the squad os pretty good, we need some surgery but I dont think its anything too drastic, the main thing is to get this group playing for each other again and they might do that now Jose is out on his arse, whether thats right or wrong though is a different argument.

I hope we tie down RLC to a long term deal and he plays games though because hes a pretty talented young lad.
    So did 90% of the team. I think the singling out of players based on sh*te articles in the paper is stupid. Some of the banners there on Saturday were frankly an embarrassment,

The Hazard, Costa and Cesc banner was a joke, but Costa and Hazard both had rather public fallings out with Jose so you can see why that was pinned on them.

Cesc got the wrong of the stick though IMO, Hazard and Costa, as far as I can tell havent said anything about Jose since his sacking, suggesting they didnt want him in the final weeks where as Cesc has come out and thanked him on social media. So anyone booing Cesc is frankly an eejit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭thomasj

Reports of pelegrini going to Chelsea at the end of the season . it would be a strange one if true?

thomasj wrote: »
    Reports of pelegrini going to Chelsea at the end of the season . it would be a strange one if true?

Stranger and not wanted by many Chelsea fans I'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭thomasj

Stranger and not wanted by many Chelsea fans I'd imagine.

Absolutely! Different style of manager to mourinho. Will be interesting to see how he fits in if true.

Here's the source
    http://www.foxsports.com/soccer/story/chelsea-line-up-manuel-pellegrini-as-mourinho-s-replacement-122015

Not sure of the reliability of their source.

• Advertisement

We were linked with Iturbe either this summer gone or last year, cant remember off the top of my head but apparently hes joining Watford from Roma. :o

Be interesting to see how he gets on, still only 22 or 23 so plenty of time to progress.

Turn them down once for what was meant to be his last club job in management.

If Utd want him this time, theres no Chelsea to get in the way.

Oh he turned down United the summer he went to Chelsea?

Oh he turned down United the summer he went to Chelsea?

Yes. Hence why he ended up at Chelsea. :confused:

Its pretty widely accepted by more than one person and Mourinho himself that once Chelsea wanted him back he wasnt going elsewhere, with the talks to bring him back happening back in something like March.

Even Fergie said Jose was going to Chelsea, so it only leaves Diego Torres and his spoof book claiming that Jose "was in tears" when Utd turned to Moyes.

I think I'll choose to everyone bar Torres in this instance.

Edit : Not that he turned down UTd, but he was never approached nor considered, because everyone and their dog knew he was going to Chelsea.

Yes. Hence why he ended up at Chelsea. :confused:

Sorry man, I didn't realise he had turned United down that time. I don't remember it too well, just had an impression in my own head that he had a liking of United and the United Job, but I think that only comes from me adding 1+1 and getting 3 from that interview he did after the Real V United games that time. Be interesting to say the least if he ends up there now though :)

Sorry man, I didn't realise he had turned United down that time. I don't remember it too well, just had an impression in my own head that he had a liking of United and the United Job, but I think that only comes from me adding 1+1 and getting 3 from that interview he did after the Real V United games that time. Be interesting to say the least if he ends up there now though :)

I was wrong in my wording though, he didnt really turn UTd down but was approached early by Chelsea to replace Rafa full time. I think we just about beat Utd to his signature that time but this time around the path is clear and wide open tot he Utd job at the end of the summer, or even more dramatically, someimte in the very near future.

It would be brilliant to see of he was sacked mid season, hired by Utd and went onto win the league with them. :o

I was wrong in my wording though, he didnt really turn UTd down but was approached early by Chelsea to replace Rafa full time. I think we just about beat Utd to his signature that time but this time around the path is clear and wide open tot he Utd job at the end of the summer, or even more dramatically, someimte in the very near future.

It would be brilliant to see of he was sacked mid season, hired by Utd and went onto win the league with them. :o

Ah I get you anyway. I read so much rubbish online it all runs into one.

I'd probably chance some of my money on him doing that if he makes the move soon!

If these managers keep this up people won't know who they follow soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭LightningBlue

Antonio Conte would probably be my choice if Pep goes to City and Simeone isn't interested (which is likely give Atleti are his dream club).

Conte did an excellent job building Juve back into European challenger improving the squad (bringing in Vidal, Tevez, Pogba, Lichtsteiner and reinvigorating Pirlo) and wasn't afraid to integrate younger players like Pogba into the first team when they are good enough. He'll be free in the summer after the Euros.

Pellegrini wouldn't be a bad option if worst comes to worst and Pep heads to City and Mourinho pitches up at Old Trafford.
    We'd need to bring in a strong defensive coach like Steve Clarke as assistant manager if that happens though because City look clueless at the back anytime Kompany is missing.

Antonio Conte would probably be my choice if Pep goes to City and Simeone isn't interested (which is likely give Atleti are his dream club).

Conte did an excellent job building Juve back into European challenger improving the squad (bringing in Vidal, Tevez, Pogba, Lichtsteiner and reinvigorating Pirlo) and wasn't afraid to integrate younger players like Pogba into the first team when they are good enough. He'll be free in the summer after the Euros.

Pellegrini wouldn't be a bad option if worst comes to worst and Pep heads to City and Mourinho pitches up at Old Trafford.
    We'd need to bring in a strong defensive coach like Steve Clarke as assistant manager if that happens though because City look clueless at the back anytime Kompany is missing.

I think Conte, like Allegri has no English, which would be a tough gig for himself, Allegri and Simeone, if they really wanted it, theyed have to be learning English from about now to have a decent level of it for the summer.

Edit : on defensive coaching, I wonder will JT be brought in to the club when he retires and go straight into coaching to earn his badges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

Remind me did we play united yet in the league this season ?

Remind me did we play united yet in the league this season ?

Nope, we're playing them away next Monday the 28th and then we play them at the Bridge on Febuary 7th.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement