Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Headlines seem to be that this is to be JT's last year sadly, real end of an era.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

If that's true it's a terrible call. How does Ivan get another year but he doesn't? I hope he's offered a coaching role, we really can't afford to lose another leader.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

True MK were shocking regardless though a clear option should Dave pick back up his trend of being inconsistent lately.

Now hopefully Arsenal at the bridge

Dave inconsistent?
    Gwannnn out a that!

Fcukin woeful decision. Terry should most certainly be offered a new contract.
    If ever there's a player deserving of one its him, life servant to the club.
    Best defender in the EPL last season by a country mile FFS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭RichT

Absolute Madness!

JT is still the Best C/B at the club by a country mile!

So can I assume one of Varane, Hummels or Godin is a done deal to Chelsea for the start of next season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Its simply put, a disgrace that jt isnt getting a new deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

Another legend being treated shabbily

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,755 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Its simply put, a disgrace that jt isnt getting a new deal.

https://vine.co/v/MavzmYUjd2O

Sums it up, its another player that should be kept here and allowed retire at the club in the next 2 years or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

When I heard that news I taught he had decided to call it a day himself and move into coaching but I'm flabbergasted to hear he's effectively being turfed out. The whole spine of the golden generation have been treated very poorly.

JTs 99 short of Ron Harris record of 795 games for the club. He could have done it if he was jere for another 2 years, defo 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,755 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

So Ivan get's a new contract but JT doesn't? Let that sit for a bit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Crackle

Can't get my head around this. Crazy decision to make. Who's gonna be captain now? Without him, Lampard, Cech and Drogba there's a serious lack of leadership and/or "captain material" left. Truly is the end of an era.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,781 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Am I the only one who's not overly unhappy to see him go ?

The team will have to move on from JT at some stage, he's not the defender he once was, and he only has 1/2 years max left near the top anyway

Better for him to go before he becomes a liability, both for him and the team

I agree with the sentiment that there doesn't seem to be any leaders there, well with JT going someone will have to step up

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Am I the only one who's not overly unhappy to see him go ?

The team will have to move on from JT at some stage, he's not the defender he once was, and he only has 1/2 years max left near the top anyway

Better for him to go before he becomes a liability, both for him and the team

I agree with the sentiment that there doesn't seem to be any leaders there, well with JT going someone will have to step up

I can see where you are coming from JT is 35 after all. It's just a bit depressing given the season we are having no Jose No JT if Costa leaves that just gives people Roman to hate.

I hope it is no more than the club basically saying we have not got a new manager in place yet so if he feels you fit in with his plans then you will be offered a contract. If that is the case you can at least see the logic, football is a harsh business at the end of the day.

That being said how the hell did Ivan get a new contract he is just awful and surely the same logic would be valid.

End of an era though disliked by supporters of pretty much every other team he has won pretty much everything there is to win in the game, and with over 700 appearances certainly a club legend as well as being one of the best central defenders in the world at his prime.

duploelabs wrote: »
    So Ivan get's a new contract but JT doesn't? Let that sit for a bit

Hes also going to be our new captain, no hope of him being dropped next year.

joke shop.

Hes also going to be our new captain, no hope of him being dropped next year.

joke shop.

That all depends on the new manager really.

Lukker- wrote: »
    That all depends on the new manager really.

It does, true, but with Ivan getting a new deal, usually manages just keep those players in power, not upsetting the apple cart so to speak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

Out of all the stupid decisions , this one takes the biscuit:mad:

The very least should have been a one year extension.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Is it just me or have all the great players disappeared from particular positions? Thinking of CMF and CB.

Like don't get me wrong, there's talent out there but Terry at one time played with Essien, Ballack, Lampard and Makelele.

Alonso, Mascherano and Gerrard at Pool at the same time.

Then he played with Ricky C at Chelsea with Carragher at Pool and Ferdinand/Vidic at Utd.

Right now I've got Toure and a fit Kompany in there and no-one else.

gosplan wrote: »
    Is it just me or have all the great players disappeared from particular positions? Thinking of CMF and CB.

Like don't get me wrong, there's talent out there but Terry at one time played with Essien, Ballack, Lampard and Makelele.

Alonso, Mascherano and Gerrard at Pool at the same time.

Then he played with Ricky C at Chelsea with Carragher at Pool and Ferdinand/Vidic at Utd.

Right now I've got Toure and a fit Kompany in there and no-one else.

theres a serious lack of top quality CBs anyway for a starter, theyre a rare breed and you only have to look at Stones, who looks to have all the potential in the world but hes valued at about 40m +

I shudder to think what a 26/27 year old Terry would go for being honest.

He had a great knack of scoring goals too, I think hes got nearly 70 for Chelsea, his record is about 1 in 10 which is good going for a CB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭RichT

Official Chelsea statement......
    “John was advised that, while no new deal was currently on the table, that situation could change in the coming months.

“The club has the utmost respect for John and everything he has helped us achieve to date. He is a fantastic servant to Chelsea and a superb captain. As such, the club will keep the channels of dialogue open.”

The Thick Plottens............ :confused:

Whoever comes in as mamager, whoever that may be, should make his very first job is to get Terry a new contract.

Panthro wrote: »
    Whoever comes in as mamager, whoever that may be, should make his very first job is to get Terry a new contract.

Maybe, but if he is deciding to put a gun to the clubs head by negotiating his contract in public he is playing a dangerous game.

I can only assume that the club wanted to sign Ivan up on a deal as he would most likely have signed a pre-deal with someone else, as he has only just turned 31 they might have thought this a reasonable thing to do (the fact an oil tanker turns and moves quicker does seem to have escaped their attention though). At 35 there will be less suitors for JT and he has also made it well known he would not play for another club in England.

Time will out they obviously want to leave it to the new manager, but in reality great player that he was time and tide wait for no man. In reality his time is drawing to a close and we need to move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

RichT wrote: »
    Official Chelsea statement......

The Thick Plottens............ :confused:

Where did you get that?
    There isn't anything on the website, yet.
    Johns comments yesterday were probably aimed at putting pressure on the club to renew which I think will eventually happen.

kev1.3s wrote: »
    Where did you get that?
    There isn't anything on the website, yet.
    Johns comments yesterday were probably aimed at putting pressure on the club to renew which I think will eventually happen.

WAGNH are covering it as are the Guardian apparently

With renewals it is standard practice to offer a contract before January when the player can start negotiations with other clubs.

If he does sign it will totally be up to new manager and he may not choose to keep him on (as **** as that is, I find it understandable that a new manager may look to stamp his own authority on the squad, bring his own players in and Jose said it, create the team in his image)

Also a new manager won't be in place until May, Terry may very well have a contract signed with another club by then.

What are the odds that JT will end up at Man City next season :pac::eek:

• Advertisement

Oh joy Mike Dean in the middle against Watford, only like to see him in the middle when we play Arsenal.

So who plays on Wednesday, did RLC do enough to keep his place if so who gets dropped?

I don't think he will keep his place (even though I would certainly play him) so;

TBo
    Ivan, JT, Happy, Dave
    Cesc, Obi
    Willian, Oscar, Hazard,
    Costa

me thinks

Though I would go

TBo
    Dave, JT, Happy, Baba
    Cesc, RLC
    Willian, Oscar, Hazard
    Costa

Quite attacking but with no Ivan the defence should be ok, normally I would have played Matic and swaped Cesc for Oscar but after scoring a hat-trick he deserves his game.

Nice win yesterday but no point getting carried away MK Dons are not really up to much. Wednesday is important a win moves us nicely up the table away from relegation and gives us 10 unbeaten. A draw of course would also be 10 unbeaten but we need the confidence fill that win's bring as we look forward to United, PSG and City in the cup this month.

Oh joy Mike Dean in the middle against Watford, only like to see him in the middle when we play Arsenal.

So who plays on Wednesday, did RLC do enough to keep his place if so who gets dropped?

I don't think he will keep his place (even though I would certainly play him) so;

TBo
    Ivan, JT, Happy, Dave
    Cesc, Obi
    Willian, Oscar, Hazard,
    Costa

me thinks

Though I would go

TBo
    Dave, JT, Happy, Baba
    Cesc, RLC
    Willian, Oscar, Hazard
    Costa

Quite attacking but with no Ivan the defence should be ok, normally I would have played Matic and swaped Cesc for Oscar but after scoring a hat-trick he deserves his game.

Nice win yesterday but no point getting carried away MK Dons are not really up to much. Wednesday is important a win moves us nicely up the table away from relegation and gives us 10 unbeaten. A draw of course would also be 10 unbeaten but we need the confidence fill that win's bring as we look forward to United, PSG and City in the cup this month.

Cesc and RLC would be the laziest partnership going. Would put Terry and Zouma under too much pressure. Your first line up is what I would go for myself. We need to put back to back wins for the first time this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,260 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Would like to see Baba get more of a run out in the league. I was impressed with his runs against MK Dons.

I know playing in the league is a different kettle of fish and even yesterday you could see he still has a long way to go but it was an exciting performance from him and filled me with hope for the future.

As for Terry, I have all the time in the world for him as he's been a great servant to the club but I also think we shouldn't be looking to hold on to him for as long as possible.

Personally, a big problem I see at Man U is all those legends still sniffing around (Giggs in particular). When you're clinging on to people just because they were involved in former glory, I don't think it's going to help the team advance whatsoever. We've all heard the stories of player power at the Bridge and the likes of Terry, Cech, Lampard and Drogba were some of the names most commonly linked. Terry is the last one left and I think we can't start properly rebuilding til he's gone, as dramatic and unsentimental as that may sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭what a day

Morning all

JT news is a shocker alright. I was wondering if Roman has already agreed with our next manager and the new manager wanting the club to do the dirty work and axe a club legend for him?. Also if we are gonna let go of the best defender in the PL surely we have a replacement lined up? 6007000250 million for stones no thanks keep JT as a rotation and bring in Christensen.

Some one already posted earlier regarding no outstanding players in the PL any more, i totally agree. I taugh when we had Mata and Hazard we were moving in the right direction after losing Ballack and Lampard. Then we signed Fabregas sold Mata and took a massive step back wards. Fabregas has some really good games but he is no Lampard.

Other squads have suffered too especialy ManUtd. City have a Aguero Silva and Kompany but these days your lucky to see them all in the one team they are that injury prone.

Mou what have you done, no Luiz, Mata, De Bruyne. Fair enough i can take selling Lukaku and massive money for Luiz but selling Mata to Utd and DeBruyne ends up with City Cech to Arsenal, what just happened?? Lampard Scoring against us whilst playing for city some one please wake me up !!!!!

Lukker- wrote: »
    Cesc and RLC would be the laziest partnership going. Would put Terry and Zouma under too much pressure. Your first line up is what I would go for myself. We need to put back to back wins for the first time this season.

I think you are being a bit harsh on RLC, I think his work ethic is much better than has been described.

I know was only MK Dons but he played very well yesterday and teh ball through to Oscar for his second goal was an absolute peach.

• Advertisement

One thing is for sure, JT wont end up playing for another English side. The clubs comments though seem to suggest that its still possible a deal could be offered, I think he had to wait until late in 2013 or 2014 before he was offered a new deal.

Although part of me thinks the club saying that is also a tactic to try and bring the fans on board and keep them passive for a few weeks.

For watford away its a fine balance we need to strike, even though RLC is only just 20, I dont think hes a kid anymore, hes more than capable of playing and bossing in his role.

A few players will come back in for sure and a few are bankers to play after their good performances.

I'd love if RLC was played from the start but I just dont think its possible, hes our 4th choice CM behind Mikle , Matic and Cesc and probably 4th choice #10 behind Oscar, Cesc, Willian.

Team will probably be

Courtois
    Ivan Zouma JT Azp
    Matic Cesc
    Wilian Oacar Hazard
    Costa

Begovic
    Cahill Baba
    Mikel RLC
    Kenedy
    Traore

Pedro may still be out, Falcao is injured, Remy is gone, Pato isnt ready.

A few things I noticed from the game and I could be way off but for me Cahill, at all costs has to be sold and I'll tell ya why.

For years I've seen JT back away and wait for help to try and deal with CFs running at him one on one from his FB or CDM, but to a point, JT always engaged a CF and it was usually aroun the edge of the area, he was going to get a block in or force them away from goal.

I've lost count over the last 4 years or so of the times Cahill has done the opposite and he done it again yesterday, now it didnt cost us in the long run but Cahill retreating to his own box instead of engaing the MK dons player and stopping a shot cost us a goal yesterday, again, means F all, we won 5-1 and it should and could been easily double that so that puts into context just how bad MK Dons were yesterday but if we're going to persist in getting rid of JT over guys like Cahill and Ivan I'd actually be sickened.

Cahill was always a decent CB but hes been made look very good at timers (last year) by stellar performances aroud him. I can remember some games when JT was the best player on the pitch, the Emirates last year being one of them as a standout, Cahill has never done that, not for me anyway.

All I'll say is hes lucky hes English, I'd have preferred to keep Luiz over Cahill everyday of the week.

One thing is for sure, JT wont end up playing for another English side.

I hope you are right, but after what happened with Lamps , anything is possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,260 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

With JT (probably) leaving, the hunt for a proper central defender should be even more important. I really don't want to see a pairing of Zouma and Cahill in our first XI in August.

Zouma and someone else with Cahill on the bench should be the minimum target for the board.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Techless

One thing is for sure, JT wont end up playing for another English side. The clubs comments though seem to suggest that its still possible a deal could be offered, I think he had to wait until late in 2013 or 2014 before he was offered a new deal.

Although part of me thinks the club saying that is also a tactic to try and bring the fans on board and keep them passive for a few weeks.

How did the news come out ?

Was it in response to a question or did he venture forth with the information ?

Techless wrote: »
    How did the news come out ?

Was it in response to a question or did he venture forth with the information ?

I didnt see any post game interviews but it broke after the MK Dons game from a Guardian/Telegraph source so I imagine it was said post game.

Its rare for any player to comment on their contract situation but JT clearly feels strongly about whats happening and after the year he had last year, where he could have been in the running for the PFA award if he wasnt despised by some of his peers, I think not renewing his deal is a kick in the nuts for him.

Remy looks odds on to be leaving today at some stage, its a case of when and not if.

If the deal is right, about 11.5m, again, tis a good bit of business by the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Techless

Remy looks odds on to be leaving today at some stage, its a case of when and not if.

If the deal is right, about 11.5m, again, tis a good bit of business by the club.

Would be a nice gesture to include a book on "Understanding the Offside Rule" as a going away gift.

what a day wrote: »
    Morning all

JT news is a shocker alright. I was wondering if Roman has already agreed with our next manager and the new manager wanting the club to do the dirty work and axe a club legend for him?. Also if we are gonna let go of the best defender in the PL surely we have a replacement lined up? 6007000250 million for stones no thanks keep JT as a rotation and bring in Christensen.

If Stones does arrive , the one person he will need is JT to try and bring him on. Makes him leaving all the more nonsensical.

I dont like Pellegtini but doing that now isnt going to help city towards the last few months of the deason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

ah bollocks anyway ..

Ya, sacking Jose is looking better and better every week.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement