Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roscam, 2015

Options
  • 03-10-2015 8:53pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭

Looking for some fresh thoughts on Roscam in 2015.

Is it a decent place to live in for a young family ?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

Looking for some fresh thoughts on Roscam in 2015.

Is it a decent place to live in for a young family ?

Or a decent area in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Buddy74

Very Decent area, no anti- social issues etc.
    But (always is) it has hardly any neighbourhood sense of feeling to it as most are new buys and rentals so no real family there may be in a number of years there will be, maybe Ballybrit (Doughuisce half of it is ok) or Renmore would suit you better.

Buddy74 wrote: »
    Very Decent area, no anti- social issues etc.
    But (always is) it has hardly any neighbourhood sense of feeling to it as most are new buys and rentals so no real family there may be in a number of years there will be, maybe Ballybrit (Doughuisce half of it is ok) or Renmore would suit you better.

Thanks for reply.

No apparent anti social is massive.

What parish is it part of

Anyone else ?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

What parish is it part of

Doughiska.

I know people who live there any have a great sense of community / neighbourhood. But also of others who purchased there, but haven't really met the sense of community.

There's some social housing, but's mainly (all?) allocated to elderly or disabled.

Great bus service.

Nice view over the bay from some parts - I guess it comes with being a bit windy at times. Ditto the parts that are up a hill are, well, up the hill. Large than some hills.

Cheshire House (long term home for people with disabilies) has been there since 1980-something (ish) - very well established. Likewise the estate called Roscam Park - very different to the others.

Big GAA hall/club and pitches - they gave up their alcohol licence though, so I'm not sure if the cards etc are still happening in the same way they were.

• Advertisement

Doughiska.

I know people who live there any have a great sense of community / neighbourhood. But also of others who purchased there, but haven't really met the sense of community.

There's some social housing, but's mainly (all?) allocated to elderly or disabled.

Great bus service.

Nice view over the bay from some parts - I guess it comes with being a bit windy at times. Ditto the parts that are up a hill are, well, up the hill. Large than some hills.

Cheshire House (long term home for people with disabilies) has been there since 1980-something (ish) - very well established. Likewise the estate called Roscam Park - very different to the others.

Big GAA hall/club and pitches - they gave up their alcohol licence though, so I'm not sure if the cards etc are still happening in the same way they were.

Thanks for the input.
    Didn't even know Dougishka was a parish. Thought it was just like a massive housing estate.

So where would children in the Roscam area normally go to national school ?

Thanks for the input.
    Didn't even know Dougishka was a parish. Thought it was just like a massive housing estate.

So where would children in the Roscam area normally go to national school ?

Merlin woods primary and secondary schools..
    Again in Doughiska.

Apparently there aren't enough secondary places though so some are still going elsewhere.

Merlin woods primary and secondary schools..
    Again in Doughiska.

Apparently there aren't enough secondary places though so some are still going elsewhere.

Thanks. Not sure on rules in Galway but is it possible to send your child to s national school that's not in the parish you live in ?

Bump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

You'll be dead within days.

Drive by shooting, drug deals in broad daylight, thugs sitting blaring out hip-hop on the corners, Gardai prefer to avoid the area.

Pretty sure they filmed a lot of that new film 'Straight Outta Compton' on location there as well.

No place for a young family.

• Advertisement

You'll be dead within days.

Drive by shooting, drug deals in broad daylight, thugs sitting blaring out hip-hop on the corners, Gardai prefer to avoid the area.

Pretty sure they filmed a lot of that new film 'Straight Outta Compton' on location there as well.

No place for a young family.

Great input, thanks : /
    I don't know why some people bother posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Eogclouder

Great input, thanks : /
    I don't know why some people bother posting.

They're called jokes, you should look them up!

Thanks. Not sure on rules in Galway but is it possible to send your child to s national school that's not in the parish you live in ?

I don't know this definitively.

But my instinct is that it must be. The school in Doughiska only opened a few years ago (brand new building, excellent hand-picked staff) and before that kids from the area went to school all over town.

Also there are various Gaelscoils and ETs around, they aren't linked to parishes at all.

I don't know this definitively.

But my instinct is that it must be. The school in Doughiska only opened a few years ago (brand new building, excellent hand-picked staff) and before that kids from the area went to school all over town.

Also there are various Gaelscoils and ETs around, they aren't linked to parishes at all.

Oh ok. Good to know.

So sounds like Roscam is a fairly decent area.

Advertisement