Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bio medical engineering

Options
  • 03-10-2015 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I'm currently doing the leaving cert and trying to narrow down collage course choices. Biomedical engineering seems very appealing to me however i'm not studying physics or engineering. maths also would not be my best subject. i think it is the career prospects that are more appealing to me like working with prosthetics. I've always had an interest in anatomy and animal tissue culture. Would this course be a problem for me or is there any other courses that lead to similar jobs in the medical area? i am currently studying Chemistry, biology french and business.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Alot of engineers don't study engineering in school, it wasn't even an option for me as my school didn't do it.

I didn't do physics either. Actually we've alot in common as I did chemistry, biology, and french too. I think I did business as well but can't remember.

I sometime think the maths aspect of engineering is pushed a bit much as while you need to have a good enough grasp of it, you don't need to be pulling in A's or B's in the LC.

What level of maths are you doing, higher or ordinary?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Mollark

I recently dropped to ordinary but it was more to do with less stress for myself then actually ability as i was managing Ds and Cs but now i'm getting As in ordinary

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Might be best to talk to your teacher or career councillor.

I'd a thought anyone getting A's in any Ordinary subject would/should be in the Higher class.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

Although you don't need physics/Engineering in LC, the maths is important and will be used a lot in any engineering course. The basics will be convered in 1st year so you'll have a chance to pick it up but as it's expected most people will know it, you'll move through the material quite rapidly. If you're hardworking and make the effort this shouldn't be a problem, however, most courses have a HC3 maths requirement so you may find it difficult getting a course without it.

The most important thing is that you're interested, I saw a lot of dropouts in the first year or two as peple just realised that engineering wasn't for them. It's all very mathsy/sciency stuff and not near as much hands on building and playing as you'd think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

I did pass maths in school as the effort involved in just passing honors would have led to less points overall. I found college maths easier for some reason. Maybe I was taught better in college or just matured a bit. I'm not sure. If your half asleep in pass maths and getting A's then (like me) your lazy and will be able to deal with college maths with a little effort. I got lucky with my engineering degree as it was a Bsc, 4 years straight honors and it didn't need honors maths.
    Also, even if you can get into the 4 year straight degree in a medical field, do the higher cert if you can. That way you'll know if you like the course or not and still have some qualifications. Might even be able to slip into a job if you stink of college. I've a buddy who did that and got his full degree through an online course while he was working. Don't just jump at the quickest path.
    Gluck!

• Advertisement
Advertisement