Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solo Camping Gear: Lightweight

Options
  • 04-10-2015 1:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hello Everyone, Super waterproof Hiking and camping gears are completely new to me.
    I have several questions regarding ultra lightweight gear.

Im the type who prepare for the worst and hope for the best!
    So durable solo tent, sleeping bag and matt advice needed...
    Im looking at Alpkit products such as Numo matt, may be Pipedream 250 or 400 sleeping Bag and Hunka Bivy as a sleeping Bag cover in Tent.(extra weight for extra security in those just in case moments).I have read review about Vango Banshee, wild country zephyros lite, force ten helium etc mid range tents but to be honest I find them slightly above my budget.pack size is much more important than weight.my plan would be Ocassional 1-2 nights camping in Irish mountains including December.now i know super light durable gear are expensive and
    I will compromise a bit of comfort due to small pack sized 2-3 season gear.i dont mind sleeping with socks, thermal top and tights.my Number one worry is Rain! Not interested in Tarp or Bivy.say tent max budget is 150€, sleeping bag max 200€ Down preferred, Matt not willing to spend fortune on Thermarest neoair xlite etc.Alpkit numo size and price seem good.
    Can i get away with using one of those under 100€ tents such as wild country Coshee Micro, Coleman Aravis or Gelert Solo without waking up in pool of water? tent placement will be on top of hill or on semi exposed areas.ideally all in pitching or outer first preferred.Vango Banshee is a bit on big side.im small guy with overnighter backpack around 35-44L including cooking system,food,drink, spare clothes, emergency kit,first aid, external battery,cables,ropes and so on which will fill up the backpack fast so packability is MUST.condensation shouldnt be major issue more afraid of heavy downpour dripping through.Looked at Snugpak synthetic bags too heavy and long for my frame.are there decent cheapish down sleeping bags apart from alpkit? Major brand bags are way expensive so out of range.Thanks a million in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

That is the most condensed post I have ever read lol. I can't recommend any sleeping bag as I haven't found one that is small and warm without costing an arm or leg. You would get a Vango Banshee 200 for under 150 euro off amazon.co.uk, I got a 300 for that price. It is bigger and heavier than I imagined so not sure if that will suit, but it does pitch outer tent first. The Snugpak Ionosphere I have doesn't but it is tiny and weights nothing, above your budget though. The Gelert solo has good reviews and definitely good in terms of value for money. As for pitching on top of a hill or semi exposed area, I don't think any sub 150 euro tent would ideal for this. Depending on conditions that is. I have the Vango Compact Trek mat and short version. Both are very light but obviously the larger one takes up space so you have to determine the opportunity cost of size versus comfort. Outside of the smaller mat and the Solo tent you would not fit them in the 44 L bag. They would have to be secured outside. Even though Ireland has a moderate climate, in winter on the hills, you have to weight up lightweight versus safety. It is easy if you spend big money to get the best equipment. Your jacket and trousers will be your most important equipment followed by the sleeping bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Glonass

Thanks FrostyJack,
    I was looking at Snugpak Ionesphere and dont like the idea of Inner first pitching but i do like its low profile and colour.could be great for stealth wil camping looks like highly recommended by ex military and bushcrafting community.the new 2014 Vango Banshee 200 looks good looked at it on youtube earlier today.idea of having 2 doors is Bonus!!! ! Plus all in one pitching.may be I will get one off under 130€ online.didnt know about the new version until today.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

If you're worried about rain, don't get a down bag. If it gets wet, its no good anymore.
    You probably won't get away with a 100 euro tent on an exposed mountain in December.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

you cannot really afford ultralight so just go with as light as you can make it.

every thing you mentioned would not fit in a 44 litre bag. I have been planning a similar trip to the one you describe during the Summer (never got the weather to risk it on my own) I have this tent it packs down to a very small size and uses a hiking pole as a pole

tent and the thermarest takes up to 2 thirds of my 45 litre rucksack I do not know how I am supposed to fit a sleeping bag in there after these 2 items if I took it out of its stuff sack and shoved it into the corners maybe.

btw Amazon.de now have an english translation of their site it is a bit cheaper than the UK site due to currency differences.

what about this

Is that mini Peak II good against stormy weather? 1500HH doesnt seem that great or am i missing something? I have read a couple of threads which mentioned above Tent.does amazon.de deliver to Ireland? Tnks in advance

• Advertisement

If you're worried about rain, don't get a down bag. If it gets wet, its no good anymore.
    You probably won't get away with a 100 euro tent on an exposed mountain in December.
    Im thinking about using waterproof bivy cover over Down bag...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

Glonass wrote: »
    Is that mini Peak II good against stormy weather? 1500HH doesnt seem that great or am i missing something? I have read a couple of threads which mentioned above Tent.does amazon.de deliver to Ireland? Tnks in advance

Don't know. if out on wild weather I plan to pitch it as low as possible. It mentioned in a couple of other threads one guy on here recommended it to me and I mentioned it in another thread. It is a treking tent it is designed for lightness. at the time it was a good for the criteria of lightness and price that I could find. It is unlikely you will get a light tent that you can expect to put up with stormy weather I would look for a secondhand Force ten tent for something like that. you would have to choose your campsite accordingly. It still wont be comfortable.

amazon.de deliver to ireland

Advertisement