Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does the full price always need to be displayed?

Options
  • 04-10-2015 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭

I recently shopped around for travel insurance.

I found some companies quoting once price and then adding "admin fees" or "government levies" or "tax" to the fee on the subsequent page.

Is this legal? Is there no obligation to quote a price that is inclusive of all charges?

Who do I complain to if there is such an obligation?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I would imagine once you know the full price before having to input payment details then they are covered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Yea, this annoys me as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Really? Weren't Ryanair and others forced to display full prices? Is there consumer legislation here?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,466 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

JTMan wrote: »
    Really? Weren't Ryanair and others forced to display full prices? Is there consumer legislation here?

they do display full prices before taking payment. at that stage you have the option to accept or not. If they quoted you a price and took extra money after paying this amount then there would be a problem. but this is not what they are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

There are specific price display regulations for air fares. Insurance comes under general price display regulations.
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/consumer_protection/pricing/price_display_of_goods_and_services.html

• Advertisement

I think it is extremely dishonest of insurance firms to display one price on the first page and another price on the second page.

Whilst I appreciate that there are specific rules for aviation firms, would the insurance firms not be in breach of the below?
    The Consumer Protection Act 2007 prohibits false or misleading indications of the price or the recommended price of goods or services. Prices displayed must be complete, and there should be no hidden charges included. Under the Prices and Charges (Tax- Inclusive Statements) Order 1973 all prices for goods and services available to the consumer must be inclusive of all taxes including Value Added Tax (VAT).

I think it is extremely dishonest of insurance firms to display one price on the first page and another price on the second page.

Whilst I appreciate that there are specific rules for aviation firms, would the insurance firms not be in breach of the below?
    Insurers would be subject to the CPA 2007 and price display regs. Whether they are breach depends on how they display their prices.
    I've looked through the websites of quite a few (7 or 8) Irish travel insurance providers and tbh I've not seen this happen. On each of these sites their quoted price is all-inclusive.

Thanks.

The AA add additional charges. Insureandgo.ie also add additional charges.

Do you think they are breaking pricing rules?

The AA advise you of their €1.50 admin charge early in the quotation process and include it in the quote provided. That seems ok to me.
    However their site advertises cover from as little as €25.49 but when I tried to get a quote it was impossible to get it at that price since they add on that admin charge. That could be an issue.
    Insureandgo.ie advertise cover from €5.88 and I could get this price inclusive of all fees, so is ok. However they don't mention the €1 stamp duty until you're about buy cover (cover €4.88, duty €1) this too could be an issue.
    I'm not sure if these constitute breaches though.

Advertisement