Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will my Saturday ferry trip go ahead ?

Options
  • 04-10-2015 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭

I'm sure there is a lot of Irish rugby fans in the same boat (excuse the pun). We are due to get a ferry Sunday morning at 00:30 to Holyhead. Will this storm coming in from the Atlantic cancel my ferry. I want to arrange alternative means of travel if this is likely to be the case.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,550 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I'm sure there is a lot of Irish rugby fans in the same boat (excuse the pun). We are due to get a ferry Sunday morning at 00:30 to Holyhead. Will this storm coming in from the Atlantic cancel my ferry. I want to arrange alternative means of travel if this is likely to be the case.

current indications are showing this storm tracking up towards iceland around the weekend and may not cause too many problems for us at all but since this is at the limit of accurate forecasting, id be keeping an eye on it and make a decision mid week if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

Yes, should be fine - conventional ferries will sail in most weathers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Yes, should be fine - conventional ferries will sail in most weathers.

What storm?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

It does look like the the high pressure to the east of Ireland will force this storm to the south or west of Ireland, although some of this evenings models are going back towards something of a closer call.

As for the ferry, the big boats will travel in anything up to a force 9 gale, perhaps more?

Might be busier than usual though as if the storm does move closer, there will be a strong south-easterly up the Irish sea and i wouldnt suspect the swift sailings would go.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

What storm?

Remnants of hurricane Joaquin. Last noticed heading for us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

GFS 06 z has it making landfall here but nothing out of the ordinary IMO

364748.png

GEM 00z very similar , again not that strong
    364749.png

UKMO , stronger but goes to the north of us as it comes up against the high pressure to our east.
    364750.gif

ECM , which has been handling this storm very well since the start doesn't make much of it at all and pushes it well south of us.
    364751.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 14,512 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

The latest word from almost all models is that no storm will develop, the hurricane remnant will drift more towards Portugal and northwest Spain, and the weather will remain moderate. Hope that works out.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

As for the ferry, the big boats will travel in anything up to a force 9 gale, perhaps more?

ferries will sail in any conditions that allow them to leave and arrive the harbours in safety. That includes the ability to call on tugs to assist their manoeuvring. With the exception of fast ferries (and the Jonathan Swift is the only one left now) the passengers will give up long before the ship does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

The latest word from almost all models is that no storm will develop, the hurricane remnant will drift more towards Portugal and northwest Spain, and the weather will remain moderate. Hope that works out.

Awwww. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Remnants of hurricane Joaquin. Last noticed heading for us.

Sort must have slept through that......

• Advertisement
Advertisement