Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mossy soggy soil -advice

Options
  • 04-10-2015 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭

Hi all
    I have a bed in part of my garden where the soil is wet and soggy. The plants growing there are suitable for the conditions and are thriving but so too is the moss and algae type stuff growing on the surface of the soil
    I have googled this and I know that this is growing because the soil is weyband compacted.
    Every so often I remove these growths but yesterday I observed they are back with a vengeance!
    I don't want to use mypex in this area, but I was wondering if anyone has any advice for me to improve the appearance of the area. As I said, the plants are thriving but all advice welcome
    Would bark mulch work, or would the weeds/moss grow through it?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Bark mulch would help for the moss and algae, can't guarantee that weeds will not grow through.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭countrywoman

looksee...thanks for your reply

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

Could you plant a water loving ground cover plant so it would hide the moss?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the soil is weyband compacted.
    i googled this and didn't get much; is it an autocorrect?

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭countrywoman

roselm....good idea,have you any recommendations?

magicB- yes, i meant wet and compacted!

• Advertisement
Advertisement