Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A decent set of boots/socks, and other worthwhile gear?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

The first thing I would do is start wearing 2 pairs of socks. I wear 2 pairs of bridgedale socks whenever I go for a hike and the comfort is brilliant.

I've tried many types of footwear, Zamberlan, Meindl, Merrell, Salomon, Innov8, Hitec, Ecco and the only thing that prevents blisters is 2 pairs of good quality woolen socks. The best socks I've found are Bridgedale.

I really don't think you should need two pairs of socks if your boots are fitted correctly and worn in properly, must be cruelty on a hot day! Depending on your size op sportsdirect currently have great offers on Berghaus explorer boots. Great value for a reputable goretex boot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

SomeFool wrote: »
    I really don't think you should need two pairs of socks if your boots are fitted correctly and worn in properly, must be cruelty on a hot day! Depending on your size op sportsdirect currently have great offers on Berghaus explorer boots. Great value for a reputable goretex boot.

The OP has stated that the boots maybe fine so rather than going to the expense of new boots he should try an extra pair of socks.

I've bought footwear from many brands - Zamberlan, Meindl, Salomon, Merrell, Hi-Tec, New Balance, Innov8, New Balance to name a few.
    So I have spent time and money on getting advice and trying different brands to get the best fit, and no matter how good a boot feels in the shop, it doesn't compare to the hills.

My current boot is Ecco Biom Terrain, and I consider them excellent, but I can still get blisters from them too.

No blister patch or duck tape or lube has ever prevented blisters for me.
    The only thing that guarantees me comfort is 2 pairs of bridgedale socks.

And even on the hottest of summer days the heat has never been a factor.

So my view is, the extra pair of socks may solve his problem, and if they do great.

If they don't work then the problem is elsewhere, and then he should consider the expense of new boots.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Two common problems that result in blisters are boots that are too "voluminous", i.e. the boot is the correct size for the length of the foot, or possibly slightly too long (see below) and there is just too much room in the boot causing the foot to move around, which will cause foot blisters, and/or "heel lift" which will cause heel blisters.

Both of these are solvable, a too roomy boot can be reduced by half a size or more using so-called "volume reducers", hard, incompressible insoles that you put under your normal insoles. Heel lift can be helped with heel raisers, wedge shaped hard foam inserts that again go under the insoles under the heels.

I should also add that whenever I've gone to a certain well-known outdoor shop in Dublin for footwear, they always insist on measuring my feet even though I've been the same size for years, and then inform me I'm one size bigger than i really am. Just saying like :)

Alun wrote: »
    Two common problems that result in blisters are boots that are too "voluminous", i.e. the boot is the correct size for the length of the foot, or possibly slightly too long (see below) and there is just too much room in the boot causing the foot to move around, which will cause foot blisters, and/or "heel lift" which will cause heel blisters.

Both of these are solvable, a too roomy boot can be reduced by half a size or more using so-called "volume reducers", hard, incompressible insoles that you put under your normal insoles. Heel lift can be helped with heel raisers, wedge shaped hard foam inserts that again go under the insoles under the heels.

I should also add that whenever I've gone to a certain well-known outdoor shop in Dublin for footwear, they always insist on measuring my feet even though I've been the same size for years, and then inform me I'm one size bigger than i really am. Just saying like :)

And if the problem is solved by the simple addition of an extra pair of socks, Alun, is the problem any less solved?

And if the problem is solved by the simple addition of an extra pair of socks, Alun, is the problem any less solved?
    Whatever works for you, but wearing two pairs of socks wouldn't appeal to me, especially in the summer. Volume reducers would also probably be cheaper both initially and in the long run.

• Advertisement

Alun wrote: »
    Whatever works for you, but wearing two pairs of socks wouldn't appeal to me, especially in the summer. Volume reducers would also probably be cheaper both initially and in the long run.

Wearing "hard, incompressible insoles" over your Vibram soles seems similarly unappealing.
    And the only way an extra pair of socks could possibly work out dearer is if you only had one pair of socks to start with :confused:

Wearing "hard, incompressible insoles" over your Vibram soles seems similarly unappealing.
    They're just a harder rubber, no harder or more inflexible than the inside of the soles of the boots themselves. Your normal softer insoles go over the top of them, so you don't notice them at all.
    And the only way an extra pair of socks could possibly work out dearer is if you only had one pair of socks to start with :confused:
    But on average you'll be wearing those two pairs of socks twice as long, so they'll wear out faster and need replacing. A pair of volume reducers is about 1/3 of the cost of a decent pair of socks and lasts effectively forever.

Look, as I said, if it works for you, fine, I was just pointing out that there are other well established methods of compensating for a mismatch between foot and boot volumes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

I would never wear 2 pairs of socks because it would cause blisters. It would also cause excessive sweating. I don't no anybody that wears 2 pairs of socks while hiking or covering lots of ground. Just saying.

I would never wear 2 pairs of socks because it would cause blisters. It would also cause excessive sweating. I don't no anybody that wears 2 pairs of socks while hiking or covering lots of ground. Just saying.

An extra pair of socks does not cause blisters, as long as both pairs are woollen, it prevents them.
    I did the Galtees Challenge Crossing last summer, the full 30km Galtee range in one warm summer's day, and there were no blisters or heat issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

I did a really stupid thing a few years ago. I decided to walk the camino one week. Went out and bought new hiking shoes and started the next monday.
    Blister city you'd think.... I didnt get one. Now i know i was extremely lucky but i was also careful. I covered my feet with bodyglide lube every morning. I also wore a thin pair of sock liners under bridgedale hiking socks. Walked about 25 km a day. Not one blister.

Incidentally the shoes were fitted at great outdoors and I got a pair of boots there last week too. I do think they are the best place for proper gear and good advice.

As regards the half size thing. I climbed carauntoohil a couple of years ago in boots that were my 'regular' high street size and lost both big toenails. Those boots went straight into the bin.(They weren't proper hiking boots anyway - they were winter boots.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I have a pair of Berghaus Explorer Ridge....very comfortable boot straight out of the box, no breaking in time whatsoever

Sorbothane insoles are very good for absorbing, they can be bought online already made to fit sizes, or you can buy sheets of the stuff on ebay of various thickness and cut exact to size using the existing insole as a template

Advertisement