Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting smartphone to TV

• 04-10-2015 1:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭

I'm doing a bit of voluntary work at the moment and could do with some advice.
    Is there any way / gadget which I can use to connect smartphones to a particular TV.
    The TV in question is a relatively new Normende smart TV, approx 40"

It would need to be multi device ie iOS, android, windows etc....
    It would hypothetically be used for sending videos and photos (taken on the phones) to the TV.
    I'm guessing here but could Bluetooth be used somehow??

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,085 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Get a Chromecast.

There is a new model available from Google Play Store in Ireland right now.

You cam cast your phones screen to it. Displaying video images browser music, whatever. It plugs to the TVs HDMI port

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭Cerco

You will need a USB port as well to power it or a USB power supply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Chromecast will only work with Android as far as I'm aware.

Miracast at least will work with both Windows devices (Windows 8 and 10) and android devices (4.2+).

Miracast however is limited to only screen mirroring (or showing a second display if connecting from something like a windows laptop or Surface Pro). Whereas Chromecast can take over some apps such as netflix leaving the phone to do other tasks.

Apple will only work with airplay which won't work with Android or Windows.

All of the above plug into the HDMI port, the chromecast uses USB power, either from the TV or elsewhere, and the miracast devices come in all shapes and sizes though the microsoft provided miracast device is similar to the chromecast.

To be as multi-platform as possible you'll need to get a minimum of two devices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭Cerco

Chromecast will work to a limited extent with Windows and Apple OS. Using Chrome browser on Windows you can send your browser content, There is also a beta version of the software that allows more casting but is not stable yet.
    On Apple you can use Apps e.g. Allcast to send photos and videos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

...It would need to be multi device ie iOS, android, windows etc....

Why?

Might be simpler to have some shared resource that the media can be uploaded to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭cornholiooo

beauf wrote: »
    Why?

So everybody can send media to the TV screen regardless of their type of phone.
    More than one device is not feasible, I guess there's no solution after all.

Advertisement