Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RAS scheme for landlords.

Options
  • 04-10-2015 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭

Looking for advice. I own a house but I am looking at moving - thinking of keeping my current property and renting it out, rather than selling up.
    It is a 3 bed terrace in a housing estate and 2 years ago I made a lot of renovations - rewire, insulate, dry lined, attic conversion, new boiler, alarm, kitchen and converted garage into a workshop, lined and stove.
    If I register my house with LA as a RAS landlord, am I obliged to take any tenant they offer? Is looking for a private tenant a better option? Or do I sell up, although I will get less than the house plus renovations cost at current prices.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Looking for advice. I own a house but I am looking at moving - thinking of keeping my current property and renting it out, rather than selling up.
    It is a 3 bed terrace in a housing estate and 2 years ago I made a lot of renovations - rewire, insulate, dry lined, attic conversion, new boiler, alarm, kitchen and converted garage into a workshop, lined and stove.
    If I register my house with LA as a RAS landlord, am I obliged to take any tenant they offer? Is looking for a private tenant a better option? Or do I sell up, although I will get less than the house plus renovations cost at current prices.

With RAS you find the tenant if they are on the housing list they can then apply for RAS

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Jaketherake

Google all the issues landlords have had with RAS in all its forms.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Really depends on where the house is located.
    That said approach the RAS scheme with caution as it is not a great scheme for landlords.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I looked in to RAS and unless your property is in an area where it might be hard to find a tenant otherwise then there is no advantage to the landlord. Look at it closely as I found a lot of disadvantages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Why are you considering RAS ?

Why would you not consider advertising your property on Daft? We hear about shortage of rental properties.!!

There are no advantages for a landlord using RAS in current market.

• Advertisement
Advertisement