Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breakfast Biscuits

Options
  • 04-10-2015 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭

These are one of my favourite things to have when in the US in both fast food places [McDonalds do an awesome version of their sausage egg muffin with a biscuit instead] & when staying with friends.

I "had a hankering yesterday so I whipped up a batch so that I could have some for breakfast, kept the raw dough for a few of them chilled for this morning & then froze the rest to throw on whenever.

I didn't have any buttermilk so faked it with regular milk soured with lemon juice & I added a pinch of baking powder as I was coming to the end of my self raising & wanted to give it a little boost.

Another great tip I was given [by an american friend] was to freeze the butter [we always have a frozen block] and grate it into the flour as you get a much more even distribution & very little warming by hands. And keep chilling as you go.

These are great for breakfast, or any time & make a great side dish.

Ingredients
    1/2 cup cold butter
    2 1/4 cups self-rising flour
    1 1/4 cups buttermilk

Additional
    Self-rising flour for dusting
    2 tablespoons melted butter

Preparation
    1. Cut butter with a sharp knife or pastry blender into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Sprinkle butter slices over flour in a large bowl. Toss butter with flour. Cut butter into flour with a pastry blender until crumbly and mixture resembles small peas. Cover and chill 10 minutes. Add buttermilk, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened.

2. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface; knead 3 or 4 times, gradually adding additional flour as needed. With floured hands, press or pat dough into a 3/4-inch-thick rectangle (about 9 x 5 inches). Sprinkle top of dough with additional flour. Fold dough over onto itself in 3 sections, starting with 1 short end. (Fold dough rectangle as if folding a letter-size piece of paper.) Repeat entire process 2 more times, beginning with pressing into a 3/4-inch-thick dough rectangle (about 9 x 5 inches).

3. Press or pat dough to 1/2-inch thickness on a lightly floured surface; cut with a 2-inch round cutter, and place, side by side, on a parchment paper-lined or lightly greased pan. (Dough rounds should touch.)

4. Bake at 225° for 13 to 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from oven; brush with 2 Tbsp. melted butter.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Thanks for the recipe. Moved to Cakes & Bakes.

tHB

Advertisement