Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leaf Tea; the ratio

• 04-10-2015 2:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭

Old-fashioned, I know. The Bag rules supreme, almost unchallenged.

But recently I've got nostalgic for the hot strong Tay of my childhood.

So I bought a packet yesterday, in the local Super-Valu: Barry's original.

Now then: quantities, proportions?

I invite readers to submit their infallible ratios for perfect tea.

You must give quantities for both tea and water. And additional instructions and hints are welcome too.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Right then: first attempt.

I opened up my old wedding-present tea-caddy and found in it a cache of tea leaves. Decided to try it there and then.

Teaspoons, I assume, are so called because they can be used for measuring tea.

I used 2 level teaspoons of tea leaves in 8 fl oz of boiling water. That's about 220 ml for you metricationers, or 1 American cup.

Waited one minute while it brewed, then another minute.

Strained the resulting liquid through a little tea-strainer (clue in the name!) and added milk to the cup. I'm Irish, me.

It was dismal, tasteless and weak.

Was it the old, stale tea? Does it go "off"? (I know coffee does.) Or maybe I used too much liquid, or not enough leaves.

Tomorrow I open the Barry's and get brewing again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

I normally use 1g per 100ml, so you're probably about right.
    If its black tea you'd probably want to brew it for 3-4 minutes.

@PPC - I am impressed with your dedication, to weigh the tea. But thank you - I will definitely check the weight of one level teaspoon - good idea!

Well, I tried it. But my very old-fashioned balance scales isn't the best at such small quantities, and my smallest metric weight is 5 grams.
    With a little tinkering, I managed to establish that 2 Tablespoons (15ml) of Barry's Original Leaf weighs 10 grams.
    Then I realised that I would have to do a sum, and lost interest.

Returning to the field of battle, I had another go: this time using that freshly opened pack of Barry's.

2 level teaspoons to 6 fl oz of boiling water. A slightly smaller ration of water, you will notice, and brewed somewhat longer, following advice from the poster above.
    Brewed this lot for 4 minutes by the clock, strained and drank.

Verdict: strength and colour excellent. Flavour- more tea-ish than we have been used to lately, (which I think is a good thing.)
    Maybe the finer powder that they make for "bagging" lets more of the scented oils escape.

I was very happy with today's experiment - in future will start from this as the standard baseline:
    2 level teaspoons per 6 fl oz of boiling water.
    (That's 10 ml per 170 ml water, or - if American - 2 tsp to 3/4 cup.)

Well, I tried it. But my very old-fashioned balance scales isn't the best at such small quantities, and my smallest metric weight is 5 grams.
    With a little tinkering, I managed to establish that 2 Tablespoons (15ml) of Barry's Original Leaf weighs 10 grams.
    Then I realised that I would have to do a sum, and lost interest.

Returning to the field of battle, I had another go: this time using that freshly opened pack of Barry's.

2 level teaspoons to 6 fl oz of boiling water. A slightly smaller ration of water, you will notice, and brewed somewhat longer, following advice from the poster above.
    Brewed this lot for 4 minutes by the clock, strained and drank.

Verdict: strength and colour excellent. Flavour- more tea-ish than we have been used to lately, (which I think is a good thing.)
    Maybe the finer powder that they make for "bagging" lets more of the scented oils escape.

I was very happy with today's experiment - in future will start from this as the standard baseline:
    2 level teaspoons per 6 fl oz of boiling water.
    (That's 10 ml per 170 ml water, or - if American - 2 tsp to 3/4 cup.)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

I find generally less is more if it's a green or white tea. Usually a pinch for green, or a heaped teaspoon for dark mixed in with a standard pot and stepped for 2-3 minutes does the job. I don't really measure - you get a feel for what you like.

Advertisement