Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bringing up baby...

• 04-10-2015 4:06pm

...with Cork City FC into the Cup Final, inevitably the fair weather fans like me will think of hauling along for the big occasion.

But have a head scratcher this time. Now have a baby, 9 months old, and not sure it's appropriate to bring her up for it and into the Aviva.

What do people think? I've seen plenty of kids at games, obviously, but a child in a buggy? Would you think it's grand or would you think when that young they should be left at home?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Andre 3000

She'll ruin the match for you with crying etc. Leave her at home with the missus and bring a few mates instead.

Andre 3000 wrote: »
    She'll ruin the match for you with crying etc. Leave her at home with the missus and bring a few mates instead.

None of them would fit into the buggy!

I would put up with the odd cry, but would be concerned that it might irritate others. Wonder will there be any family section type set up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

It will be ****ing freezing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

At less than a year old, she is probably too young and as Dreamers said it will be quite cold on the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

All you're going to do is annoy yourself and the lads around you having to try keep her from crying and scare the absolute bejaysus out of the poor child. The kid won't remember the game in a months time never mind when she's gorwn up, leave her at home in her nice dry warm play pen with her mammy while you suffer a miserable November night in Dublin with your mates.

• Advertisement

Point taken about the cold, but she'd be well wrapped up. We'd have her out for walks anyway for an hour or 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Why would you even consider bringing a nine month old to a game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Judging by your replies you seem set on bringing her anyway regardless of what is said here. I'd say no unless you have some earmuffs for her and are willing to sacrifice actually getting to see the game in spots with crying and nappy changing and everything else...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

A 9 month old baby at a football game of a cold November night doesn't sound like a good idea A) for yourself or B) those around you who might have to put up with a crying child.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Sounds like a bad idea. Just too young. I didn't start forcing my young family members to be Shels fans until they reached 5 at which point attendance became compulsory.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

What a ridiculous idea. You won't enjoy it, the child won't enjoy it, the fans around you won't enjoy it.

But as Mars Bar said, you seem fairly set on doing it anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Point taken about the cold, but she'd be well wrapped up. We'd have her out for walks anyway for an hour or 2.

Bring her then you are clearly adamant on bringing her so not much point pretending otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Dunno about you OP but generally it's completely pointless to bring a baby that young to a game it will know nothing about. It is more for the parent saying look at me, aren't I great.

No, parent, no you're not.

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Judging by your replies you seem set on bringing her anyway regardless of what is said here. I'd say no unless you have some earmuffs for her and are willing to sacrifice actually getting to see the game in spots with crying and nappy changing and everything else...

No no, Id like to bring her if people said "oh I brought mine, 'twas fine" but was wondering are babies brought to games. Can't say it registered with me but then again would be allergic to family enclosures before now. But general reaction seems no they are not so probably won't.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

No no, Id like to bring her if people said "oh I brought mine, 'twas fine" but was wondering are babies brought to games. Can't say it registered with me but then again would be allergic to family enclosures before now. But general reaction seems no they are not so probably won't.

How would you feel if 2 years ago someone was sitting beside you with a baby crying for 90 minutes?

Dunno about you OP but generally it's completely pointless to bring a baby that young to a game it will know nothing about. It is more for the parent saying look at me, aren't I great.

No, parent, no you're not.

Yeah, might be a bit self indulgent. Before she came along I'd be the first to have said "Jesus would yer man not have left her at home" if some crying child was in front of me. If there was a family section I'd think about it, but even at that she might just be on the young side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I think you've got a couple of years before you and her get any enjoyment out of both being there together to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

OP, I have never brought a baby that young to the Aviva but have on more than one occasion brought them to Croke Park.

But each time it has been purely out of necessity, if it could be avoided it was.

But on the day it usually worked out fine, bring plenty of things that help the baby settle, so that they can hopefully drift off to sleep in your arms while you are in your seat.

It gets worse when they are 2 or 3 and will not stay with in the seat for long, but I notice now that it's only after about 6 do you take an interest in the game itself.

Oh and as for people complaining about a baby crying beside them for 90 mins, it something that would never happen.
    Any good parent is not going to sit there the whole game and allow their child to cry and disturb others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I still haven't taken my 5 (coming 6) yr old to a LoI game yet, as I know he'd get bored before halftime and want to go home.

Having said that a 9 month old baby doesn't know its bored but you'd still be mad to consider it. Why not man up and tell the OH you're going to the game! Its obvious she isn't letting you as she doesn't want to be stuck with the kid!

Advertisement