Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traveling in US Buying Petrol & ZIP Codes Issue

Options
  • 04-10-2015 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭

Most gas pumps require entering of a 5 digit numeric ZIP code to authorise pump to release fuel, if you want to avoid going into cashier, or if at an unmanned/after hours station.  Is there a 'generic' number which BoI/Visa can provide which will satisfy this req?  In US it's specific to the zipcode lnked to the card billing addess.  No match, no fuel.  If not a generic number, then is there a card-specific pone which can be provided and how to get same?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭OU812

Encountered this issue earlier this year.

You have to go in & prepay. Means you have to "learn" the tank capacity & usage, but they'll just process it as a signed for sale.

I had both experiences of the pump turning off when I filled $50 and also beforehand where they either gave me a cash refund of the balance or the system automatically refunded the balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Nichard Dixon

UK and Csnadian cards sometimes use the numeric digits from their postcofes. But I expect this wont really be sorted until the US pumps get chip readers. Ideally one company would do this sooner rather than later.

UK and Csnadian cards sometimes use the numeric digits from their postcofes. But I expect this wont really be sorted until the US pumps get chip readers. Ideally one company would do this sooner rather than later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Nicola

Redderneck wrote: »
    Most gas pumps require entering of a 5 digit numeric ZIP code to authorise pump to release fuel, if you want to avoid going into cashier, or if at an unmanned/after hours station.  Is there a 'generic' number which BoI/Visa can provide which will satisfy this req?  In US it's specific to the zipcode lnked to the card billing addess.  No match, no fuel.  If not a generic number, then is there a card-specific pone which can be provided and how to get same?
    Hi Redderneck,

Thanks for getting in touch with us here on Boards.ie

Unfortunately we don't provide a generic code that will work on pumps that require the zip code to be input for address verification.
    In this case you should go into the station (if this is an option) to pay using the card rather than at the self-service pump.

Please let me know if you need help with anything else.

Thanks
    Nicola

• Advertisement
Advertisement