Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brendan Rodgers sacked.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Consistency that eventually dried up because it's just not sustainable (or more worryingly, he got bored) in that kind of environment.

Well managers have a short cycle these days, 3 or 4 years is doing well. Simone could have a bad season and some would start questioning him, that's a mark of how crazy the industry is.

Liverpool and English clubs are much luckier with TV money and no sign of cash drying up so they exist at a different financial level.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I don't foresee Klopp staying at Liverpool for 10 years, even if he is a success, tbh.

If you listen to him speaking about the future, he has no ambition to build a long term legacy at a club like Fergie or Wenger.

He'll end up at Dortmund again at some stage, I feel, or so he stated when he left, and he'll probably want a crack at the German job along the way too.

If we can get 5+ years out him I will be delighted.

Anyway, Liverpool need to get him first before I make a tit out of myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

Except that's not the reality - Rodgers had a genuine tilt at the title and is out.

Alan Pardew would have had a genuine shot at the title with Liverpool the form Suarez and Sturridge where in that season.

Alan Pardew would have had a genuine shot at the title with Liverpool the form Suarez and Sturridge where in that season.

No, I'm afraid.

People forget that Liverpool weren't even expected to get 4th that year, let alone win the title.

Rodgers isn't as bad a manager as some make out. Not by a long shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

MD1990 wrote: »
    Man Utd fans badly wanted Klopp in 2013. Now he is set to be Liverpool manager he isn't that great lol.

Yeah lol, look at all the United fans in here, the vast majority of them aren't saying how good Klopp is or anything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Pardew would win the title single handedly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Peist2007 wrote: »
    In short, Klopp is more of a risk. Ancellotti would be a great appointment.

Ancelotti would be taking a step down to take on Liverpool.
    Liverpool are not contenders and all the clubs he has gone to have been.
    TheDoc wrote: »
    This big club stuff is really silly. Liverpool are CLEARLY a big club.

There is a difference between big club, and successful club. Newcastle are a big club. Sunderland are a big club. They just arn't successful clubs. It's not that hard to differentiate. Saying Liverpool are not a big club is stoking fires in that tribal fandom ****e.

I disagree.
    There is no way in hell one should lump in Newcastle and Sunderland with Liverpool in any conversation.
    They never had the success of Liverpool and were never European super powers. And yes I know that is success, but it all means something in terms of brand which adds to how big a club is.
    They never had the global reach of Liverpool.
    Newcastle and Sunderland appear to be totally rudderless, are skirting with relegation every year and are owned by owners who aren't ever going to invest.
    Villa now fits in with them as well.
    I know some may say Liverpool are a bit like that, but look at the money they invested over last few years and they have been in top 4.

I would equate Liverpool more to be like Ajax in a way.
    Although Ajax can still win Dutch league, they are getting nowhere in Europe.
    They are now shadows of their former selfs and can't compete with the big money guys in Europe.

And I do agree with Carragher Liverpool are now like Totenham and as you said they have been that way for a while now.
    TheDoc wrote: »
    Klopp will be a sensible appointment. He has a genuine track record of success but also coaching players to be better, and making teams greater then the sum of their parts.

Agree.

BTW I am not Liverpool fan and have detested united with a passion since before ferguson arrived, but I am an Ancelotti and Klopp fan.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

United fans calling Klopp overrated because he's on his way to Liverpool is no different to the Liverpool fans calling Di Maria average the day he signed for United, Schweinsteiger washed up, Shaw overrated, the list goes on.

Football is tribal. Klopp is a great manager and from what I've seen a great human being but he's the opposition now, the enemy even. If there's a chance to knock him then we will take it.
    The worst people for me are those that call out other teams fans for something that they may have done themselves and know for sure that their own fans have done before.

If Coutinho somehow ended up at United you can be sure that Liverpool fans would be using the exact same criticisms of his game that United fans currently do and United fans would be putting him up on the very same pedestal that Liverpool fans do.
    It's all a bit ridiculous and pointless really :D

• Subscribers Posts: 693 ✭✭✭FlipperThePriest

Klopp now 1/20 for the appointment with PP. Serious move from 1/10 this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

zippy84 wrote: »
    Klopp now 1/20 for the appointment with PP. Serious move from 1/10 this morning.

Someone had a tenner on!
    These manager markets have no liquidity, if I went in and had 50 on meself to be the next manager I'd prob be cut to 5/2 :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

kfallon wrote: »
    Someone had a tenner on!
    These manager markets have no liquidity, if I went in and had 50 on meself to be the next manager I'd prob be cut to 5/2 :rolleyes:

It's one of the top 10 bookmakers in the world. Going to take a lot more than 50 quid to shift markets from 10 on to 20 on.

Someone had a tenner on!

Liverpool markets are crazy though.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    Liverpool markets are crazy though.

So crazy that at the risk of losing a euro (such as having placed a tenner like he says) they'd much rather real in the odds to 1/20 than take your money. A euro's a lot of cash! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Jaysus Rodgers payoff is laughable 23 or so million lol

I read it was between 5 - 7 million. Where'd you hear 23??

Someone had a tenner on!

Klopp is 10/1 NOT to be appointed next boss of Liverpool on betfair.

Plenty of liquidy on there

He was on 7m a year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Klopp is 10/1 NOT to be appointed next boss of Liverpool on betfair.

Plenty of liquidy on there

I backed him at 12/1 this morning. He is back 7/1 now not to get the job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Teflon Ron

MD1990 wrote: »
    SOME* Man Utd fans badly wanted Klopp in 2013. Now he is set to be Liverpool manager he isn't that great lol.

We're not all bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

It's one of the top 10 bookmakers in the world. Going to take a lot more than 50 quid to shift markets from 10 on to 20 on.

Not really, bookies wouldn't lay you 2 bananas to a banana these days!
    Still, just wish they'd announce it and let us all get on with creaming ourselves!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Nope, my clearly stated position is that I believe United, Arsenal, City and Chelsea are all operating on a similar level to what Bayern are in Germany.

Forget Europe for a minute, it's irrelevant to this discussion really.

Then you've got Spus and Pool below them - relying on one of those sides having a bad year so they can claim the 4th spot. But they can't claim it on an on-going basis, because those clubs have the wherewithal to bounce straight back - look at the difference between United dropping out of the top 4 and Liverpool dropping from 2nd.

United straight back in, Pool floundering.

Tbf looking at Arsenal and United they are not at the level of Bayern as honestly I don't think they use all the muscle they have.
    Arsenal could easily have been challenging for the league had they fixed the blatantly obvious shortcomings and United I felt stood still for too long in the transfer market especially after getting back in the CL.
    Domestically I don't see either of them winning the league this year despite "challenging", neither of them are that imposing or well managed tbh as has been proved at times already this season.
    Chelsea have had an appalling start but I still see them in the top 4 in May.
    If Liverpool had invested anyway wisely it would be easier for them (300m is a LOT of money spent)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Hannibal

niallo27 wrote:
    Challenging for top 4 and making the breakthrough next season or the third season. If he has liverpool back in the champions league within 3 years i will happy.

Why 3 years for the Champs League? This time last year and up until United beat us in March we were bookies favourites for 4th, we are not that far behind if at all. City, Chelsea, Arsenal and United are not in great shape and it's probably the poorest Premier league in a long time. If we had have beat United two weeks we would be 2 clear of them, the margins are that small.
    We beat Spurs next week we are ahead of them, with United away to Everton then Man City the next week. It's always hypothetical but we could in two matches be 3 behind City and a point either side of United with Chelsea and Spurs behind us.
    The bounce of a new manager on players that look demotivated could propel us into a good position.

I read it was between 5 - 7 million. Where'd you hear 23??

Its about 10 as per BBC, that includes the back room staff.

Twatter is probably his source.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

As much as I would like to see Liverpool managed by someone like Harry Redknapp or Tim Sherwood, Klopp at Liverpool would be good for the league.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Rodgers payoff is limited to a full years pay, not the contract length, or at least according to all sensible sources.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭jpboard1

Klopp will be a great signing if it happens. I wouldn't see him as long term though. I think he will be brought in to get things moving in the right direction. Wonder will he have learnt enough from Dortmund to prolong his managerial influence.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

jpboard1 wrote: »
    Klopp will be a great signing if it happens. I wouldn't see him as long term though. I think he will be brought in to get things moving in the right direction. Wonder will he have learnt enough from Dortmund to prolong his managerial influence.

He was at both his previous clubs for 8 years. If he stayed at Liverpool that long he'd be the longest serving manager since Bob Paisley left over 30 years ago.

5starpool wrote: »
    He was at both his previous clubs for 8 years. If he stayed at Liverpool that long he'd be the longest serving manager since Bob Paisley left over 30 years ago.

Yes, and I wouldn't see him there that long unless he has learnt where he went wrong in previous roles. He will need to be able to adapt is he is going to have longevity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Knex. wrote: »
    The bundesliga is not far weaker than the PL though, regardless of what Sky might drum out.

Erm, as a frequent Bundesliga watcher, I'd have thought it wasn't open to debat.e The Bundesliga is FAR weaker then the Premier league. Relative to itself maybe not, but it's a one horse race where the gap simply cannot close, unlike the Premier League where the gap has been shortening due to the inability of the top 4 clubs moving to the next level, and that has shortened this summer and will shortern again in the years ahead.

Outside of Bayern, who signed I believe two players over €10m, only two signings were made in the Bundesliga as a whole, for a fee over €10m.

The Bundesliga's competitiveness comes from teams apart from Bayern, and due to financial constraints, can never really make leaps and bounds above the rest. But that is no different to the situation in England where outside of the top 4 it's a pretty competitive bunch, and even now we see the top 4 rarely getting easy rides in the league.

I think there is a difference between Sky's line of "the best league in the world" and it being the most competitive and difficult. The latter is very true imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Rodgers payoff is limited to a full years pay, not the contract length, or at least according to all sensible sources.
    Yea but why let that get in the way of a bit of hysteria?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

Knex. wrote: »
    No, I'm afraid.

People forget that Liverpool weren't even expected to get 4th that year, let alone win the title.

Rodgers isn't as bad a manager as some make out. Not by a long shot.

Never said he was a bad manager. He's run of the mill average premiership standard and Liverpool should never aim for managers at that level. Suarez, Sturridge and Suarez just hit it off that season but put those 3 in the Spurs team of that year and they would have challenged also. I maintain Rodgers inability to organise the defence cost us the title.

Never said he was a bad manager. He's run of the mill average premiership standard and Liverpool should never aim for managers at that level. Suarez, Sturridge and Suarez just hit it off that season but put those 3 in the Spurs team of that year and they would have challenged also. I maintain Rodgers inability to organise the defence cost us the title.

Not even remotely, when you consider we scored 50 goals more than we conceded.

Rodgers focus on attack and goals is what nearly won us the title.

Good job otherwise it would be 23m x 3 years...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Good job otherwise it would be 23m x 3 years...

I heard he also has to give the new teeth back as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

murpho999 wrote: »
    I heard he also has to give the new teeth back as well.

and take his ex wife back

• Advertisement

Classy guys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

You blatantly did say you wanted Klopp over Van Gaal.

You are struggling with basic reading comprehension

In March 2014 I said that

You asked me first do I rate Van Gaal over Klopp now and then you asked me if I wanted Klopp over Van Gaal, I didn't answer. I said I wanted I Van Gaal as well. I don't think I can make it any clearer for you

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

You are struggling with basic reading comprehension

In March 2014 I said that

You asked me first do I rate Van Gaal over Klopp now and then you asked me if I wanted Klopp over Van Gaal, I didn't answer. I said I wanted I Van Gaal as well. I don't think I can make it any clearer for you

Clear as muddy water.

Dig up lad, dig up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Clear as muddy water.

Dig up lad, dig up.

The basis of your whole post was that I yesterday denied ever wanting Klopp over Van Gaal

If you read through all my posts you'll see that never happened

The basis of your whole post was that I yesterday denied ever wanting Klopp over Van Gaal

Nope, I'm merely stating the fact that you wanted Klopp ahead of LVG last April. As another poster said, just admit you were shown to be lying and move along.

would like to see examples of posters changing their tune just because a player/manager joins a team they don't like

if you are going to call them out on it then you should have something to back it up

I find it hilarious that you posted this just before I started questioning you.

• Advertisement

Yeah but if there is even a sniff of getting someone like Klopp LVG isn't going to be first choice for me

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=90029684

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

With two Suarezs, I'd have expected nothing less than the title that year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Ah jasus :pac:.

Any word if klopp will be taking any of his old coaching staff with him ?

This one also made me smile
    Rayne Wooney 15:32 21-04-2014 (3 Thanks)
    Now that it's actually happening I'm not so sure I want Van Gaal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Discussing Klopp in the United thread
    Discussing LVG in the Rodgers thread.

Is the United talk in the pool thread or?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

This one also made me smile

You got your internet victory yesterday dude, can you not leave it there?

I was asked a question, I answered it. Have you anything to add to the discussion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Funny I was told in the Pool thread a couple of days ago to "get a life" for using people's old posts against their argument.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

It's actually destroying you that we're going to get Klopp, isn't it?

It's actually destroying you that we're going to get Klopp, isn't it?

He never wanted Klopp sure, always wanted LVG to steady the ship.

• Advertisement
Advertisement