Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brendan Rodgers sacked.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Calling dfx :)

I still don't get it though. If the decision was made weeks ago, what was the point of waiting..I don't see what has changed since Stoke. Trying to force a reisgnation?

There has to be questions as to why it didn't happen then.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

tigger123 wrote: »
    Why did they wait until now to sack him? Why not the start of the season? New manager in, get his wish list of players and get a decent run at the season.

Neither Ancelotti or Klopp were available at the start of the season. Both had said they were taking time off.

Rodgers probably appeared better than the alternatives available at that point.

I would be surprised if Ancelotti went anywhere near this. Klopp is a possibility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

CSF wrote: »
    Get the sacking completely, but the timing is strange. A draw at Everton is a good result.

International break is the best time to do this before Christmas. I'd say this decision was made a few weeks back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

yabadabado wrote: »
    Ancelotti apparently has been spoken to about the Roma job as Garcia is one more **** up from the sack.Roma would be a more attractive job now compared to Pool but you never know with football .Former player as well

Roma also has links to FSG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I imagine the decision was made last week. Regardless of the result in the derby.
    To me, that doesn't make sense. If Liverpool win the game you obviously can't go sack him afterwards. Liverpool are 4 points from the last 6. Reasonable form for the last 2 games. Should he have gone after the United and Norwich games? Absolutely. But to keep him on after that, then for him to go and get 2 pretty creditable results, and sack him anyway, probably sums up how messy the running of Liverpool is at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

I cant believe it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Teflon Ron wrote: »
    Big Sam.

He's odds on for the Black Cats. Well suited to them.

It is for a club where Liverpool are now. Its not for one where he was expecting/expected to have Liverpool now.

I'd like for the club to be in a place in a couple of years where its not considered a good result and that doesn't look like it was going to happed with Rodgers.
    I don't agree. Even the likes of Man United, Man City, Arsenal and Chelsea frequently go there and lose.

Oat23 wrote: »
    Klopp wants an interesting project. Liverpool are the definition of 'interesting project' if you ask me. They've got a massive, dedicated fanbase in a working class city - exactly like Dortmund. They also have owners willing to spend money (I think..).

Would love to see him go there.

He's spoken highly of the club numerous times so fingers crossed he comes here. The owners might spend less than our domestic competitors, excluding Arsenal, but there's a lot more money available each window than there was at Dortmund.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

If its not a klopp or ancelotti to replace him I expect a serious backlash from the fans against fsg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

Rodgers for Sunderland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

B0fjvR7CAAAp-qy.jpgscreen_shot_2015-04-29_at_11.48.29.png?itok=5NHiasd5

To me, that doesn't make sense. If Liverpool win the game you obviously can't go sack him afterwards. Liverpool are 4 points from the last 6. Reasonable form for the last 2 games. Should he have gone after the United and Norwich games? Absolutely. But to keep him on after that, then for him to go and get 2 pretty creditable results, and sack him anyway, probably sums up how messy the running of Liverpool is at the moment.

If a better alternative becomes available, recent results shouldn't really matter all that much.

If they've sacked him with nobody else lined up then I agree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,850 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Saying this as a United fan.. I doubt many LFC fans will be sorry to hear this news. I watched the derby today and for the last 15 minutes or so he put 10 men behind the ball, obviously happy with a point... In the Merseyside derby of all games ? come on ! I'd stop short of calling him a spoofer although he did a lot of that I just think ultimately the job was too big for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I wonder if the situation at Chelsea has led to them doing it now. Seems strange to announce it on a match day where Liverpool haven't been beaten.

Sounds like they have a big name in the works and were maybe concerned Abramovich might sack Jose and swoop in first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Oat23 wrote: »
    Klopp wants an interesting project. Liverpool are the definition of 'interesting project' if you ask me. They've got a massive, dedicated fanbase in a working class city - exactly like Dortmund. They also have owners willing to spend money (I think..).

Would love to see him go there.

I can't imagine the next guy having the pot of gold that Rodgers pissed down the drain. A tougher job for the next man imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

One of the biggest spoofers in football. Amazed he lasted this long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I didn't think FSG had the balls to sack him.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

TheDoc wrote: »
    One of the biggest spoofers in football. Amazed he lasted this long.

Have to agree , van gaal wont be too long afterhim :)

Amirani wrote: »
    If a better alternative becomes available, recent results shouldn't really matter all that much.

If they've sacked him with nobody else lined up then I agree.
    Klopp and Ancelotti were available when Liverpool were soundly beaten by United and stuttered to a draw against Norwich. I assume one of these is the likely replacement so I don't buy this argument at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

How exactly would Rogers be feeling now - angry, sad, depressed....relieved?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I wonder if the situation at Chelsea has led to them doing it now. Seems strange to announce it on a match day where Liverpool haven't been beaten.

I don't think its that surprising, given the international break is on now. It gives them 2 weeks basically to get the new guy in, settled and let him have a look round. If Rodgers was told "Win or you're gone", there's no point dragging it out. Like a plaster. Do it and get it over with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,850 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I think a replacement will be announced within 48 hours. No way this was done without an agreement in place with the new manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

Ride on, sweet Prince Brendan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Dcully wrote: »
    Have to agree , van gaal wont be too long afterhim :)

Don't think so. Atleast with Van Gaal there is a clear vision of where it's going, even if many United fans don't like it.

Rodgers ditched his plans after one year, and has been spoofing his way on ever since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

Klopp and Ancelotti were available when Liverpool were soundly beaten by United and stuttered to a draw against Norwich. I assume one of these is the likely replacement so I don't buy this argument at all.

We don't know whether they'd been contacted at that point. Maybe they started talking to them after the United and Norwich games and decided to pull the trigger at the start of the international break.

The logic behind the sacking doesn't make sense to you because you don't know what the logic is. I'd be fairly certain it's not because of today's result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Augme

He was sacked now because of the international break. New managed will now have at 10 days or so before the next game.

Sounds like they have a big name in the works and were maybe concerned Abramovich might sack Jose and swoop in first.

This decision was taken a couple of weeks ago at least. Clearly FSG in Boston realised they made an error quickly enough but FSG in Liverpool (Ayre and Gordon) wanted Rodgers to stay and try to prove them right for backing him in the summer (the board was split).

There are only so many 1-1 draws against average opposition a manager of such a club can expect to survive in any event!

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭derm0j073

About time, Liverpool were going nowhere with him in charge.

• Advertisement

If it is indeed Klopp who takes over, I can't wait for him to have some of these moments in a Liverpool jacket.

9817991553_b19688dc8e_o.gif
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRluhC84vqj24j8apPuc9QTuVunaQ4i39k5i1TbzsPyGEgAohRGVA
    klopp.gif
    pix284_1432977881B5Wt7dlZuww3i3g.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

He'll never again be seen at a club higher than the level of West Ham or Swansea.

He owes Suarez a fúcking fortune for the improved contract he earned him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

I reckon they'll raid Southampton and go for Koeman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Augme wrote: »
    He was sacked now because of the international break. New managed will now have at 10 days or so before the next game.

Thinking about it a little, I reckon FSG had to move quicker than they wanted to because of the unrest at Chelsea. They probably wanted to hold off for a while longer before they went for Klopp but the unrest at Chelsea could lead to JM getting the boot very soon and Chelsea coming in for Klopp.

Amirani wrote: »
    We don't know whether they'd been contacted at that point. Maybe they started talking to them after the United and Norwich games and decided to pull the trigger at the start of the international break.

The logic behind the sacking doesn't make sense to you because you don't know what the logic is. I'd be fairly certain it's not because of today's result.
    Ah here, this doesn't make sense. If he was doomed after the Norwich game, why not just sack him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Mr_Muffin wrote: »
    How exactly would Rogers be feeling now - angry, sad, depressed....relieved?

Upbeat - He's 7million pound richer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Upbeat - He's 7million pound richer.

That gets a lot of fake tan,teeth whitener and self help books.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Good decision to sack Rogers, had 1 good season in him. He was out of his depth with a club the size of Liverpool.

Ah here, this doesn't make sense. If he was doomed after the Norwich game, why not just sack him?

Because they hadn't talked to a replacement at that point? Sacking a manager mid-season without a replacement lined up tends not to work well. Best to avoid the caretaker/rumour situation and pull the trigger once an alternative is sorted.

If they don't announce a replacement in the next day or 2 then I agree with you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

SlickRic wrote:
    He'll never again be seen at a club higher than the level of West Ham or Swansea.

So Liverpool :p

Jan Aage Fjortoft ‏@JanAageFjortoft 1m1 minute ago
    Am told, by my Germann source, that Klopp will be the next manager of Liverpool Footbal Club.
    #LFC
    Jay Riley ‏@Jay_78_ 18s18 seconds ago
    Jurgen Klopp to become new #LFC manager

Not sure how true that is. You can still get bets on Klopp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Mourinho will still be at Chelsea when Rodgers is sacked by his next club. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Hold on on all the Klopp jazz.

Twitter is abuzz....

Apparently Joe Kinnear was spotted this evening getting into a cab after leaving Liverpool central train station.

Ladbrokes & William Hill no longer offering bets on Kinnear as next manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Mourinho will still be at Chelsea when Rodgers is sacked by his next club. ;)

Will that be during his 3rd stint at the club :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Jürgen Klopp
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jürgen Norbert Klopp (German pronunciation: [ˈjʏɐ̯ɡən ˈklɔp] ( listen); born 16 June 1967) football manager of Liverpool Football Club.

With Klopp as a manager, Borussia Dortmund won the Bundesliga in 2011 and 2012, the DFB-Pokal in 2012, and the DFL-Supercup in 2008 (unofficially), 2013 and 2014. Klopp won the German Football Manager of the Year in 2011 and 2012.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Mick McCarty spotted at Anfield today. To be announced soon as new manager.

Those wiki vandals! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Rodgers to Sunderland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Mick McCarty spotted at Anfield today. To be announced soon as new manager.

Hmmmm interesting.

Perhaps the Joe Kinnear sighting relates to him being appointed DoF?

TBH, McCarthy on the bench, with Kinnear behind the scenes would be amazing....

• Advertisement
Advertisement