Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brendan Rodgers sacked.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

Liverpool despite it all are still a massive draw and challenge for a top manager. I've no doubt FSG will get the business done and bring in a quality manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

How are we in 'cloud cuckoo land'?

FSG can be quite stubborn but I genuinely think they will change their system, not just the manager, and will try hard to get a manager of Klopp's level.

Maybe FSG will change and be willing to relinquish control, they'll have to to get Klopp.
    If they get Klopp that's good news for Liverpool fans because he will demand a bit of control, and at least he'll succeed or fail on his call.

It also means they didn't back Rodgers properly, didn't really trust him or he never had the clout to demand proper backing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

rarnes1 wrote: »

These lads have been posting 4 times a day for 3 weeks that today was the day Rodgers was going to be sacked.

They were bound to be right eventually.

Liverpool despite it all are still a massive draw and challenge for a top manager. I've no doubt FSG will get the business done and bring in a quality manager.

Why have you no doubts?

I have doubts based on hindsight

Gbear wrote: »
    These lads have been posting 4 times a day for 3 weeks that today was the day Rodgers was going to be sacked.

They were bound to be right eventually.

I have no idea. Someone mentioned that they couldn't link so I linked

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Whoever they bring in, you would think the deal was already done before the announcement today.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Why have you no doubts?

I have doubts based on hindsight

The business model for the club revolves around getting champions league football. At the end of the day I doubt FSG give a toss about LFC but they will care about profit and the business model. Appointing a Gary Monk/FDB type manager is a massive risk as they are not proven winners at the highest levels. No more risks proven winners will be the way to go.

At least I hope so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

adox wrote: »
    Whoever they bring in, you would think the deal was already done before the announcement today.

That's what the Bosnian paper reckoned anyway.

Either way, I think FSG would be incredibly naive not to have been assured by someone like Klopp, De Boer, Ancellotti etc. that they were willing to take the job but still sack Brendan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

adox wrote: »

Yea
    Eva Carneiro in talks.
    Will be announced soon enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

The business model for the club revolves around getting champions league football. At the end of the day I doubt FSG give a toss about LFC but they will care about profit and the business model. Appointing a Gary Monk/FDB type manager is a massive risk as they are not proven winners at the highest levels. No more risks proven winners will be the way to go.

At least I hope so

Gary Monk was a journeyman and has a year's managerial experience at Swansea.

FDB managed a side to 4 dutch leagues on the bounce. Nobody has ever done that. He played for Ajax, Barcelona and the Netherlands.

Is he really the same bracket as Gary Monk?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Very Bored

La Gazzetta dello Sport says the top two choices are Jurgen Klopp or Carlo Ancelotti. Failing that it is likely to be Walter Mazzarri.

I can't see the Liverpool board wanting anything but a yes man so I see it being Mazzarri in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

blueser wrote: »
    That link is funny, to be fair.

It is more the facebook page who glorified the Hillsborough disaster in one of their "funny" posts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Ancelotti must be one of the most wronged managers.
    Chelsea gave him the bullet despite winning the double the year previous and Madrid a year after la decima.

Pool would be lucky to get him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

My money's on Harry Redknapp or Alan Curbishley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

It is more the facebook page who glorified the Hillsborough disaster in one of their "funny" posts
    Fair point. But I did refer to THAT particular link. Glorifying anything to do with that sad, heartbreaking day is just wrong on so many levels.

KungPao wrote: »

David O'Leary, George Burley...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

John Gregory?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

Paul Jewel? Brian Little?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Saipanne wrote: »
    John Gregory?

Twitter is aflame for Joe Kinnear....

Linda Pizutti tweeted congrats to Kinnear just a few mins ago.

(I assume)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Very Bored

Davie Kirkwood?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Mourinho to Liverpool and Klopp to the bridge😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Big Sam is big into the science and math of football, would be a perfect signing for those moneyball loving owners. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

If you have more money to waste send some my direction. Ta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Your links and Liverpool jokes are rarely, if ever, funny. Just thought I'd point that out to you.

FoolishOrnateBigmouthbass.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭tinpib

Alan Curbishley currently summarising in the FC Dallas/Houston Dynamo game on Sky Sports 5.

So far he hasn't denied he taking the Liverpool job.

I think we all know what that means.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

If you have more money to waste send some my direction. Ta.

Sure it's David Moyes anyway. That's what the 'lads' were telling us a few weeks back. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Should have been sacked at the end of last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Tomagotchye

Can't wait for the rumours of Klopp just to get Pardew.

Probably the right call. Harsh but fair. It's a results business and he's been rubbish. Think it's ballsy thought. They should have replaced him during the summer. Hard now that manager positions have been filled, they're left with the clutter

Liverpool are, realistically, a club that should aim for 5th. That's no slight on them, no one who followed football in the 80s could predict a day when clubs like Man City and Chelsea would be bigger by dint of the lottery of who buys them. But they are. And Rodgers was not miles off 5th, he's brought Liverpool well above that in the past with one great goalscorer. Think he deserved a bit more slack, if Everton do well Liverpool could become the city's 2nd club and could go the way of Villa, the whole sense of entitlement in football is gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

digzy wrote: »
    Ancelotti must be one of the most wronged managers.
    Chelsea gave him the bullet despite winning the double the year previous and Madrid a year after la decima.

Pool would be lucky to get him.

Pfft nothing compares to Jupp Heynckes. Wins the champions league with Real Madrid...sacked! Wins the treble with Bayern..."retired".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Liverpool should be moving heaven and earth to get Ancelotti. Ancelotti likes the football culture in England and has said recently that he isn't really interested in going back to Italy because of all of the off the field stuff with hooligans and corruption.

If Ancelotti cannot win the league with Liverpool, they may as well pack the club up and build a museum at Anfield

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Liverpool is a funny club, and as Jamie carragher said they are becoming spurs.

Financially they're not a top club, but the fans are living in the past and expectations for the club are usually deluded.

Saying that, Rodgers is a talented manager, but he was clearly out of his depth managing Liverpool, defensively so naive, terrible in the transfer market 300m spent on mostly crap. His football wasn't bad but just not good enough in the end.

I also think klopp and anchiloti are pipe dreams, there's no benefit what so ever.

Orange is right in everything he said..

Oranage2 wrote: »

Financially they're not a top club, but the fans are living in the past and expectations for the club are usually deluded.

Saying that, Rodgers is a talented manager, but he was clearly out of his depth managing Liverpool, defensively so naive, terrible in the transfer market 300m spent on mostly crap. His football wasn't bad but just not good enough in the end.

I also think klopp and anchiloti are pipe dreams, there's no benefit what so ever.

So Forbes putting Liverpool as the 8th biggest club on the planet in terms of finance are wrong and in fact we aren't a "top" club financially? Ok so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Liverpool are, realistically, a club that should aim for 5th. That's no slight on them, no one who followed football in the 80s could predict a day when clubs like Man City and Chelsea would be bigger by dint of the lottery of who buys them. But they are. And Rodgers was not miles off 5th, he's brought Liverpool well above that in the past with one great goalscorer. Think he deserved a bit more slack, if Everton do well Liverpool could become the city's 2nd club and could go the way of Villa, the whole sense of entitlement in football is gone.
    Oranage2 wrote: »

I've been saying exactly that for years now but get attacked on here for anything that correctly points out Liverpool should consider 5th/6th place in the league a good result.

Jamie said it best:
    Liverpool are becoming Tottenham. They think they are a big club but the real big clubs are not too worried about them

• Advertisement

So Forbes putting Liverpool as the 8th biggest club on the planet in terms of finance are wrong and in fact we aren't a "top" club financially? Ok so.

And rank Arsenal, Man City, ManU and Chelsea as richer.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forbes%27_list_of_the_most_valuable_football_clubs

Other clubs in the top 20 include Newcastle and West Ham.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

I'd give it to Ronnie Pickering

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Gone is our passing game and if Kloop is confirmed we will play hoof it football. Are people happy with the way Kloop plays, he is so direct. It's like we want the '' name'' but don't realize that his philosophy is to play direct football. Fans will hate it.

It's not so much a hoof ball style he plays , it's more of a very fast counter attacking style with a lot of width, the direct play comes on the ground down the channels, it's very high tempo and hard pressing, players need to be extremely tuned in and fit.

I think it will work in the premier league but Liverpool will need a lot of new players for the system.

In saying that , as a Utd fan I'd hate to see Klopp go to Liverpool it's a mssive undertaking their and he'd be taking a big risk. FSG will have to give him a fairly big contract and drop their transfer board with him.

It's not a done deal by any manner , wouldn't be surprised at all to see a Pardew (Who I think is a great manager BTW) or Koeman go in, good managers but a level below Klopp and Ancelotti.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

Not a Liverpool fan but personally feel a bit sorry for Rodgers, players let him down, and of the 300m spent how much say had he in who it was spent on? I don't like this era of players being bought by whoever and the head coach has to fit them in! Balotelli being a prime example! Imo Ian ayre every bit as responsible for the current situation as Rodgers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

LiamoSail wrote: »
    I'd give it to Ronnie Pickering

Who? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

flanzer wrote: »
    Who? :pac:

RONNIE PICKERING

Why would a top manager like Ancelotti take this job? Liverpool are basically a feeder club for the true giants of European football these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭crushproof

LiamoSail wrote: »
    RONNIE PICKERING

Eh? Who's that then? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Why would a top manager like Ancelotti take this job? Liverpool are basically a feeder club for the true giants of European football these days.

Would not call Man City a giant in European football :D:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Would like to see them look at Derek McInnes as well as the soup of the day type managers. He's been doing a great job and his team play some nice ball.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Internationally yes, but not domestically when there's 4 richer clubs in the same league.

Liverpool would sure love to be in their shoes, though.

*Awaits old man's tales from the 80's*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Despite what many on here seem to think, Liverpool still has a good reputation among those in football and becoming manager would not be akin to managing Swansea, Southampton or Spurs. If you want an example to compare us with it's AC or Inter Milan, who somehow still manage to attract top players despite their poor performances in SerieA over past seasons.

Despite what many on here seem to think, Liverpool still has a good reputation among those in football and becoming manager would not be akin to managing Swansea, Southampton or Spurs. If you want an example to compare us with it's AC or Inter Milan, who somehow still manage to attract top players despite their poor performances in SerieA over past seasons.

Still a feeder club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Hearing a Liverpool fan say they are a big club is like hearing a child saying they are a "big boy" or girl. If they say it enough eventually the parents will give in and say yes they are

Probably the 6th best squad in the league, 5th/6th would be a good season, Rodgers didn't do too badly probably about par, but spent too much doing it. Klopp would be a coup it's suprising he hasn't had a better offer, perfect timing maybe.

• Advertisement
Advertisement