Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brendan Rodgers sacked.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Saipanne wrote: »
    Why would a top manager like Ancelotti take this job? Liverpool are basically a feeder club for the true giants of European football these days.

Every premier leGue club are basically feeder clubs to the true giants of European football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

Liverpool despite it all are the 8th richest club on the planet and have a massive worldwide fanbase the envy of smaller clubs like Spurs or Everton. With the proper manager in place and the new stadium up and running they are a club going places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

Amirani wrote: »
    Internationally yes, but not domestically when there's 4 richer clubs in the same league.

Bend the figure whichever way pleases your good self fact remains Liverpool aren't a club in terminal decline like a Leeds or Aston Villa but have seen their finances and fan base actually grow the last few seasons despite winning the square root of sfa and nearly going out of business a few years back due to the exploits of two fools as owners. A mystery I know but there you have it.

Hearing a Liverpool fan say they are a big club is like hearing a child saying they are a "big boy" or girl. If they say it enough eventually the parents will give in and say yes they are

Probably the 6th best squad in the league, 5th/6th would be a good season, Rodgers didn't do too badly probably about par, but spent too much doing it. Klopp would be a coup it's suprising he hasn't had a better offer, perfect timing maybe.

So Liverpool aren't a big club because they've been ****e for a few years. Where does that leave Milan or Ajax or Celtic?

A big club is a big club because of what they've achieved over generations, not a few seasons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Hearing a Liverpool fan say they are a big club is like hearing a child saying they are a "big boy" or girl. If they say it enough eventually the parents will give in and say yes they are

Probably the 6th best squad in the league, 5th/6th would be a good season, Rodgers didn't do too badly probably about par, but spent too much doing it. Klopp would be a coup it's suprising he hasn't had a better offer, perfect timing maybe.

If they are not a big club why do you spend most of your time on here talking about them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Paully D wrote: »
    The right decision.

One superb season but for the £290m he has spent you really expect something similar every year. He has been utterly horrendous in the transfer market and you couldn't really expect Liverpool to put their hands in their pocket for him again given his record.

Presuming it's Klopp or Ancelotti taking over, I think it'd be difficult for anyone to realistically criticise his dismissal IMO. Ancelotti would be a real next level appointment though, if I were the Liverpool owners I'd throw whatever it took at him to get him in.

Why do Liverpool fans think Ancelotti is a prime candidate ?

Look at Ancelotti's CV.

Apart from his start with Reggiana, he has managed teams that were in the top 2/3 in their leagues at the time.
    He managed Parma to second after they had just won the UEFA cup the year before he arrived.
    He took over Juventus from Lippi who had won Seria A titles and gotten them to two CL finals in preceeding years.
    The Milan team he took over in 2001 had won the Seria A in 1998/99.

Then he went to Chelsea.

PSG were top of the League when he went there.
    He took over Real Madrid when they had just finished second the year before.

I think Liverpool's recent history doesn't tie in with Ancelotti.
    Would not call Man City a giant in European football :D:p

They might not have the history or the trophies, but they do have the money.
    Much like PSG.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

niallo27 wrote: »
    If they are not a big club why do you spend most of your time on here talking about them.

oooohhhh superburn

jmayo wrote: »
    Why do Liverpool fans think Ancelotti is a prime candidate ?

Look at Ancelotti's CV.

Apart from his start with Reggiana, he has managed teams that were in the top 2/3 in their leagues at the time.
    He managed Parma to second after they had just won the UEFA cup the year before he arrived.
    He took over Juventus from Lippi who had won Seria A titles and gotten them to two CL finals in preceeding years.
    The Milan team he took over in 2001 had won the Seria A in 1998/99.

Then he went to Chelsea.

PSG were top of the League when he went there.
    He took over Real Madrid when they had just finished second the year before.

I think Liverpool's recent history doesn't tie in with Ancelotti.

Agree entirely. I don't see how Ancelotti would fit. Great manager, but has always had a great side to guide to success. Different situation here where he'd have the 5th/6th best squad in the league. Would be a bit like giving Wenger or Guadiola the Sunderland job, as good as both are, I couldn't see it working

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,334 ✭✭✭Ardent

Balotelli was a gamble on the part of Rogers. Google Steven Gerrard's recent comments on this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Who have City had to sell? Chelsea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Can't stand this rubbish.

So according to your logic in the season of 13/14, Liverpool were a big club whilst your lot became a small club as it finished 7th.

Liverpool, by any definition is a big club, due its history, fanbase, financial position and stature within the game. They look set to recruit Klopp who would be regarded as a big club manager.

Just because the team is struggling for form, does not make it a small club.

Uh oh, thread descending into "we're a big club" and "ye're not a big club".

Liverpool are behind City, ManU, Arsenal and Chelsea, and ahead of every other club in England. Now whether that means they are teeny or huge is not really the issue, the issue is that they are a club that should be pitching at 5th and anything else is a bonus. If Ancellotti or Klopp is happy to go to the 5th best club in a league and try to improve them, well they may end up there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Aim for 5th? What a strange target.

"Hey guys, let's all aim for 5th spot in the table this season yeah! Go team"

quarryman wrote: »
    I've been saying exactly that for years now but get attacked on here for anything that correctly points out Liverpool should consider 5th/6th place in the league a good result.

Jamie said it best:

I would consider 5th to be a decent season as long as they put in a good challenge for top 4. Most liverpool fans would be happy with challenging for top 4. Whats wrong with fans being optimistic anyway, whats the point in supporting a team if you dont wish for the best. Your an arsenal fan and im sure you expect arsenal to challenge for the league where in reality they are a 4th place team but there is nothing wrong with you expecting better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

When the fans keep having to reiterate reasons why they're a big club it becomes clear that it isn't really the case

You just have to look at Liverpool's squad and see the lack of talent, and an anomaly season aside they have finished behind Spurs 4 of the last 5 seasons.

Will probably take Klopp 2 seasons to build a team that could challenge for top 4, after doing a major overhaul, I'd expect Pool to finish upper mid table until then. That is if he is appointed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Very Bored

Liverpool is a big club, of course it is. However, they are also too much of a risk. They haven't won the league in 26, almost certainly going to be 27, years and they haven't won anything of any great importance in ten years. They also don't have the finances to compete with the biggest clubs in their league, certainly not on a consistent basis. A top manager isn't going to stake his reputation on building success at that sort of club. In fact I can't remember when Liverpool have attracted a manager out of the top drawer if ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Oranage2 wrote: »

I also think klopp and anchiloti are pipe dreams

Isn't anchiloti a type of vegetable?

It's embarrasing the number on here that can't differenciate between a big club and a great team. This thread would have you believe that Crystal Palace are a bigger club than AC Milan

monkey9 wrote: »
    Aim for 5th? What a strange target.

"Hey guys, let's all aim for 5th spot in the table this season yeah! Go team"

Who said they should aim for 5th?

They are the 5th club in England, whatever they aim for, finishing 5th should be seen as round about where they're at. Rodgers had them on course for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Rafa aimed to be no1
    Hope new manager is not afraid to say it too
    Hope he says it's time to get back up on the perch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭RayCon

Wonder where Rodgers will end up at next ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

It wouldn't take a huge buyout to release roddy from his contract at Waterford United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Its not long ago Liverpool were a big club in Europe, and that's 6 or 7 years ago, not 26. That's what makes them attractive to somebody like Klopp, appeals to his ego.

By the measurement on this thread Arsenal aren't a big club so we're probably talking maybe 7 or 8 clubs in Europe at a push.

Even for the wind up merchants, that's a stretch.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Very Bored wrote: »
    In fact I can't remember when Liverpool have attracted a manager out of the top drawer if ever.

Benitez? Won the league twice in Spain and a UEFA Cup before he came to Liverpool.

Who said they should aim for 5th?

They are the 5th club in England, whatever they aim for, finishing 5th should be seen as round about where they're at. Rodgers had them on course for that.

So they should be able to challenge for top 4 but we are told we are delusional to think this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

K-9 wrote: »
    Its not long ago Liverpool were a big club in Europe, and that's 6 or 7 years ago, not 26. That's what makes them attractive to somebody like Klopp, appeals to his ego

Thats it exactly. They're almost like the "sleeping giant" United were in the 70s\80s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Nalz wrote: »
    Thats it exactly. They're almost like the "sleeping giant" United were in the 70s\80s.

A deep slumber.

Nalz wrote: »

Yeah, very comparable. Europe is the same as is the English league, media exposure, finances and all that.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

We are talking about the present time, If we are discounting 10 years for Pool then you are inversely saying Chelsea and City aren't big clubs

Liverpool were at one stage, aren't any more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Well yeah, Pool are getting on to the 26 years that United had between titles (yeah, I realise that Pool have won the CL in that time, which is the source of some solace) so that is definitely "deep slumbering giant" territory.

I don't think any manager could win the title with the current squad, and it won't be fixed in one window either.

Problem is, Liverpool are competing with the two Manchester teams for players of quality, and both those teams can afford to pay more wages than Liverpool - and both of those teams are in the Champions League - and probably will be next season too, let's face it.

And all three clubs are competing with the London big boys, two of whom are also in the CL.

Pool definitely need a manager like Klopp, working with a lower budget and managing lesser-quality players as a result. At least in the beginning.

Let's not fool ourselves though - the gap between Dortmund and Bayern is not as big as the gap between Liverpool and the 4 clubs in question. It's a different dynamic in Germany, there's Bayern and the rest - with Dortmund in a "best of the rest" situation.

Liverpool are not in that situation.

• Advertisement

We are talking about the present time, If we are discounting 10 years for Pool then you are inversely saying Chelsea and City aren't big clubs

Its name recognition, Juve or an Inter will also have it even in lean times by their standard. That's the attraction, to restore them back to CL football regularly again. There's not that many teams in that club! Now, if we were a Celtic or an Ajax, different story because of the way CL has gone.

As seen with Chelsea this year and United last, and how English clubs are getting shown up in Europe, the top 4 is very breakable with the right manager and squad. It definitely isn't as set in stone as 10 years ago.

For someone who thinks Liverpool are not a big club you sure spend a lot of time and effort trying to convince people of the same.

I think by any rational measurement, Liverpool are still a big club and even a wealthy club in global terms but up against a number of clubs within their own league who are even wealthier than they are. Substantially wealthier in fact.

That makes it difficult to consistently get CL football as in effect you have to beat the market year in year out. It's not impossible though as they have done it a few times before and even Spurs did it in 10/11. Doing it consistently is always going to be tough though as the wealthy clubs just get wealthier on the back of CL money creating a viscous circle.

So they should be able to challenge for top 4 but we are told we are delusional to think this.

Who said Liverpool was delusional to aim for a top 4?

Take it up with that poster. I made the point that they are the 5th club in England, so to sack a manager who can get them into 5th, and has got them higher, seems a tad harsh.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Haha. Hilarious. Let's have a look at the times when you post in the United match day threads. Every time we drop points. Don't see you anywhere near our threads when things are going well. Shocker.

You only have to look at the pathetic posts from Liverpool fans in the United threads over the last few years to understand how far they have fallen. You don't see the behaviour from City, Chelsea, Arsenal or Leeds fans.

Just Liverpool fans.

Liverpool WERE a big club. Not any more. The only people that fail to realise it are Liverpool fans.

Maybe they will be again but there is nothing to suggest that will happen. Average squad that was constructed from selling the one of the very few world class players ye have had in years. No major talents in the academy. Dried up.

It's hilarious - two years ago I was hoping Liverpool would win the league. But the behaviour of some Liverpool fans here make me very happy to see how the club has fallen.

Klopp and Ancelloti would be mad to take the post. Mad. They are better than Liverpool.

That's not an insult. That's my personal belief.

Lol, don't take match threads that seriously, we've our share of muppets in ours.

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Haha. Hilarious. Let's have a look at the times when you post in the United match day threads. Every time we drop points. Don't see you anywhere near our threads when things are going well. Shocker.

You only have to look at the pathetic posts from Liverpool fans in the United threads over the last few years to understand how far they have fallen. You don't see the behaviour from City, Chelsea, Arsenal or Leeds fans.

Just Liverpool fans.

Liverpool WERE a big club. Not any more. The only people that fail to realise it are Liverpool fans.

Maybe they will be again but there is nothing to suggest that will happen. Average squad that was constructed from selling the one of the very few world class players ye have had in years. No major talents in the academy. Dried up.

It's hilarious - two years ago I was hoping Liverpool would win the league. But the behaviour of some Liverpool fans here make me very happy to see how the club has fallen.

Klopp and Ancelloti would be mad to take the post. Mad. They are better than Liverpool.

Wow that is certainly a big chip you have on your shoulder, i posted on wednesday night when utd won and didnt post anything yesterday when they were hammered.

10 years is obviously a lifetime for yourself (literally, judging by your posts), but for most it takes more than 10 yrs of success to be considered a big club.

City & Chelsea are better sides than the likes of Liverpool, Ajax, Milan etc, and have been for a few years, but they're not bigger clubs. When they sustain their success for a generation, and dominate consistently both in Europe & home, then you might have a point, but right now, despite all those Thierry Henry Greatest league in the world ads you watch, they aren't

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Godot.

Good luck to Klopp, but he is up against it if he takes on that job. He's at a firm financial disadvantage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

https://twitter.com/BBCSport/status/651038247875948545

#LFC have made contact with representatives of Jurgen Klopp about the vacant manager's position.

I'm fairly sure they made contact before and were waiting to get an answer before sacking Rodgers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Just Liverpool fans.
    And Manchester United fans, as you conveniently left out (wonder why?). Both as bad as each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Just Liverpool fans.

This is hysterical, and not for the reasons that you think it is.

Don't you see anything mildly ironic in turning up in the thread about the Liverpool manager and abusing the club, the fans and the potential managers who have expressed an interest.

Perspective. You done got none.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I hope Klopp does go to Liverpool, because frankly I think he will be a failure there.

He is lauded as one of the top managers in the game for doing a good job at Dortmund, but in fact there is little to suggest he will be a guaranteed success anywhere else, the game is full of managers who did well at one club then completely failed to recreate that success at the next.

You would think Klopp was a legend of the game to hear some of the gushing praise he gets when in fact he could easily be as successful as AVB or Phil Scolari.

Of course he could be successful, but I certainly won't be placing any bets on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Plenty of major talent in the Liverpool youth ranks at the moment. But I'm sure you know best

• Advertisement

I hope Klopp does go to Liverpool, because frankly I think he will be a failure there.

He is lauded as one of the top managers in the game for doing a good job at Dortmund, but in fact there is little to suggest he will be a guaranteed success anywhere else, the game is full of managers who did well at one club then completely failed to recreate that success at the next.

You would think Klopp was a legend of the game to hear some of the gushing praise he gets when in fact he could easily be as successful as AVB or Phil Scolari.

Of course he could be successful, but I certainly won't be placing any bets on it.

Every appointment is a gamble to some extent. All you can do is try and tilt the balance in your favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭jpboard1

Every appointment is a risk. Klopp wasn't just successful at Dortmund.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Just Liverpool fans.

The sheer hypocrisy here is absolutely mind-blowing.

It's adorable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

martyos121 wrote: »
    The sheer hypocrisy here is absolutely mind-blowing.

It's adorable.

Even more so from person who thanked it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Plenty of major talent in the Liverpool youth ranks at the moment. But I'm sure you know best

The top clubs in Europe look forward to picking the best crop.

Fair play to ye for providing such a great service.

• Advertisement
Advertisement