Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brendan Rodgers sacked.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

"Klopp is a great manager, he gets the best out of players. I would love him at my club".

Klopp could be going to liverpool.

"I never rated him, he is a poor manager. I cant see him doing well at liverpool. Glad its not my club he is going to".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

I hope Klopp does go to Liverpool, because frankly I think he will be a failure there.

He is lauded as one of the top managers in the game for doing a good job at Dortmund, but in fact there is little to suggest he will be a guaranteed success anywhere else, the game is full of managers who did well at one club then completely failed to recreate that success at the next.

You would think Klopp was a legend of the game to hear some of the gushing praise he gets when in fact he could easily be as successful as AVB or Phil Scolari.

Of course he could be successful, but I certainly won't be placing any bets on it.

This. Liverpool would be nuts to go for Klopp over Ancellotti. If there is a choice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Even more so from person who thanked it

Probably cos 'Leeds' got a mention. They don't really get talked about much at all anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

People who give out about Klopp seem to have zero idea of the work he did with Mainz before Dortmund as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

jpboard1 wrote: »
    Every appointment is a risk. Klopp wasn't just successful at Dortmund.

Of course every appointment is a risk, and I don't say Liverpool shouldn't take that risk.

I just roll my eyes a little at the gushing praise Klopp gets from all quarters. He is as likely to be the next David Moyes as he is to be the next Mourinho, I just think people should have a little perspective on the guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

niallo27 wrote: »
    "Klopp is a great manager, he gets the best out of players. I would love him at my club".

Klopp could be going to liverpool.

"I never rated him, he is a poor manager. I cant see him doing well at liverpool. Glad its not my club he is going to".

Reminds me of this:

CMyiHpWWwAAD9Oc.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭jpboard1

There seems to be genuine fear from some posters here that Klopp will go to Liverpool. And its not from Liverpool fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Peist2007 wrote: »
    This. Liverpool would be nuts to go for Klopp over Ancellotti. If there is a choice

I would love both but if your thinking long term if there is such a thing in todays football world it would have to be klopp.

Knex. wrote: »
    People who give out about Klopp seem to have zero idea of the work he did with Mainz before Dortmund as well.

No my reservations around Klopp are in the way the Dortmund relationship just petered away in the later years. They were nearly fighting relegation last Christmas. Granted, their team was decimated by Bayern Munich over the years but that is a scenario of which Liverpool would be familiar also.

In short, Klopp is more of a risk. Ancellotti would be a great appointment.

Of course every appointment is a risk, and I don't say Liverpool shouldn't take that risk.

I just roll my eyes a little at the gushing praise Klopp gets from all quarters. He is as likely to be the next David Moyes as he is to be the next Mourinho, I just think people should have a little perspective on the guy.

He had successful spells at both clubs he has managed. With Dortmund he was incredibly successful.

• Advertisement

niallo27 wrote: »
    I would love both but if your thinking long term if there is such a thing in todays football world it would have to be klopp.

Maybe but I wouldnt write Ancellotti off on being up for a long term appointment.

I am a United fan though so this is all just gurning jealousy :rolleyes:

martyos121 wrote: »
    Reminds me of this:

CMyiHpWWwAAD9Oc.jpg:large

You want to turn the search for your new manager into a United-Liverpool thing. Are you ten years old?

You want to turn the search for your new manager into a United-Liverpool thing. Are you ten years old?

Yeah because I am the one who started it. :rolleyes:

You'd want to get your eyes checked, you missed a lot of posts.

AND I'M TEN AND A HALF!! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

zerks wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/BBCSport/status/651038247875948545

#LFC have made contact with representatives of Jurgen Klopp about the vacant manager's position.

I'm fairly sure they made contact before and were waiting to get an answer before sacking Rodgers.

The respectable media are so far off the pace its quite amusing, its as if being a journalist is beyond them. Recycling PR releases is so much less work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

The thread became a 'United-Liverpool' thing when Zerks, Rayne, FutureGuy an the rest of the United clowns turned up and tried to derail it. It happens seemingly every time a thread is created on this forum and they always seem to get a free pass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

The thread became a 'United-Liverpool' thing when Zerks, Rayne, FutureGuy an the rest of the United clowns turned up and tried to derail it. It happens seemingly every time a thread is created on this forum and they always seem to get a free pass.

We're just a small club, nothing we can do about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Lumbo wrote: »
    Liverpool will need to rebuild now
    zerks wrote: »
    Again.

Liverpool will need to rebuild now

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

This thread is as predictable as an episode of Scooby Doo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Klopp would have the fire in him to make Liverpool great again, he brought Dortmund from 13th to back to back league champions in 3 years. I'm not fully aware of what kind of structures regarding recruitment he had at the club but players have left Klopp and failed miserably only to return, players like Kagawa and Sahin who were coveted by the best teams in Europe.

FSG will not go out and break the bank for the finished article, it will never happen which is why Ancelotti is not suited. I would love Ancelotti at Liverpool but he is the guy you hire when your world class squad is faltering not one to build a team from mid table capable of challenging on all fronts.

FSG will want a long term manager, I get the feeling once a bigger job is available Ancelotti would be gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

monkey9 wrote: »
    We're just a small club, nothing we can do about it.

You'd swear Palace had won 5 Champions Lea.... oh wait, United fans hate when we talk about our 'history'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

You'd swear Palace had won 5 Champions Lea.... oh wait, United fans hate when we talk about our 'history'.

Nah, we get entertained more than anything. Every year before Christmas it is about what you are going to win, and every year after Christmas it is about what you have won way back in the past. I guess the cycle is running a little early this year. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Maybe they will pull a rabbit out of a hat and surprise me, but this talk of Klopp and especially Ancelotti is, well, not realistic if you ask me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

5starpool wrote: »
    This thread is as predictable as an episode of Scooby Doo.

It's of the episodes with Scrappy Doo in it as well. The annoying little **** :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

brevity wrote: »
    It's of the episodes with Scrappy Doo in it as well. The annoying little **** :mad:

Let me at em..

Scrappy-doo_124281a_2237.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

This big club stuff is really silly. Liverpool are CLEARLY a big club.

There is a difference between big club, and successful club. Newcastle are a big club. Sunderland are a big club. They just arn't successful clubs. It's not that hard to differentiate. Saying Liverpool are not a big club is stoking fires in that tribal fandom ****e.

Liverpools trials and tribulations are not new and it's not rocket science. What Liverpool have been going through, you can see Ac Milan and Inter going through the same thing in Italy. There comes a point where history, prestige and the iconic shirt simply don't cut it for modern players. A footballers career is relatively short, and that is excluding unplanned incidents like injury or suspensions etc.

So for a player to make a move, where in most cases its a 3-4 year deal, signifies a massive portion of their career. Especially if you take some base numbers of a player having a first team career from 20-30. Thats nearly dedicating half their career to one place.

So it's no surprise to ANYONE that players make moves based on a number of factors, but for a certain quality and type, its about ensuring they are playing in the elite competitions, playing with good players and and trying to win silverware. And unfortunately for Liverpool, it has gone on for so long, that it is very difficult to turnaround. I think part of that problem is a failure to accept their place in the pecking order of things. I'm sure that behind closed doors Liverpool hierarchy etc are a little more realistic, but sometimes the way things are done, you wouldn't think so. Carragher has got some airtime from his comments about how Liverpool are now like Totenham, but the truth is Liverpool have been there for easily a decade, bar the odd sporadic anomaly.

As a United fan, I see the same problems in terms of recruitment at our club, just at a higher level. Players choose Bayern, Barca and Real because of the ease of silverware and the near guarantee of year on year deep runs into the Champions league and title contention.

Liverpool have the same problem at a slightly lower level of the market. They "want" to entice the best players, but they are doing so on a hope they can get into the top 4 and secure champions league. There is no guarantee there. So what's left? Buying players with potential, before the big clubs come sniffing, in the hope they can be moulded into top talent and produce for the team. Obviously that is going to be largely hit or miss. And for Liverpool in recent times it's been mostly miss. But there are some hits there. What must be utterly frustrating is by the time you have that player to the point of "right, we have a talent here, lets build around it" that player jumps ship and moves to a more succesfull club. But while its frustrating, it should not be a surprise considering that is the cycle Liverpool are in.

United very much threw money at the problem to ensure they didn't enter that cycle. Get back into CL ASAP, and ensure you can keep attracting the top talent. But there is a clear pattern emerging where the best players are no longer coming to England. The cyclical nature of the title race means that a big player with unfortunate timing, can spend two years in England with nothing to show for it, and two important years of their career gone also. So its not surprise all the talent is moving to Spain and Germany, if not there already.

The point of the above is that while Liverpool and United sit at different levels in terms of recent success, finances blah blah blah, they do, and will, face the same problems in the coming years, albeit at slightly different ends of the market. And where that becomes even harder for Liverpool, is that when all the top targets choose Bayern, Real or Barca, United move into that sphere where Liverpool are also working, making it even HARDER for them again. So they are forced further down the levels in terms of quality available i nthe market, and need to get creative in terms of buying potential or moulding their own youth players.

Klopp will be a sensible appointment. He has a genuine track record of success but also coaching players to be better, and making teams greater then the sum of their parts. This is the promise Rodger came with, but personally I think it was all bluff. He had a template at Swansea that was there before him that kept working, and he couldn't transfer that over to Liverpool and clearly didn't know what attributes in players he needed for that template.

While Klopp will bring a big personality, and hopefully for Liverpool fans a clear trajectory of improvement, it's a good time for fans and especially ex-players and the rich ex-liverpool punditry environment, to take stock and finally accept how the cards lie. Otherwise the cycle repeats and unrealistic expectations and demands will breathe unrealistic pressure, and another manager driven out of the club with little to nothing to show for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Knex. wrote: »

Anyone who doubts what Klopp has achieved in his career either has some ulterior motive or is very ignorant. There's no other manager I'd like to see take over my team more bar maybe Pep. Would be an incredible signing for Liverpool. It could all go tits up obviously but for a team in Liverpool's position he would be an amazing coup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Check out the redcafe thread, suddenly Klopp is likely to fail, is overrated and so on. Until the Liverpool link they were singing his praises to the ceiling and wanted him over LVG

Liam O wrote: »
    Anyone who doubts what Klopp has achieved in his career either has some ulterior motive or is very ignorant. There's no other manager I'd like to see take over my team more bar maybe Pep. Would be an incredible signing for Liverpool. It could all go tits up obviously but for a team in Liverpool's position he would be an amazing coup.

He is also a manager who has some clearly positive ties with players he has worked with, and players clearly want to play for him. Could be an added bonus for Liverpool if Klopp arrives, for an avenue to some players that otherwise would be massively unrealistic.

Similar to how Van Gaal's relationship with Memphis was a major advantage in that deal taking place, who knows what player(s) Liverpool could attract with the proposition of Klopp being at the helm.

TheDoc wrote: »
    This big club stuff is really silly. Liverpool are CLEARLY a big club.

There is a difference between big club, and successful club. Newcastle are a big club. Sunderland are a big club. They just arn't successful clubs. It's not that hard to differentiate. Saying Liverpool are not a big club is stoking fires in that tribal fandom ****e.

Liverpools trials and tribulations are not new and it's not rocket science. What Liverpool have been going through, you can see Ac Milan and Inter going through the same thing in Italy. There comes a point where history, prestige and the iconic shirt simply don't cut it for modern players. A footballers career is relatively short, and that is excluding unplanned incidents like injury or suspensions etc.

So for a player to make a move, where in most cases its a 3-4 year deal, signifies a massive portion of their career. Especially if you take some base numbers of a player having a first team career from 20-30. Thats nearly dedicating half their career to one place.

So it's no surprise to ANYONE that players make moves based on a number of factors, but for a certain quality and type, its about ensuring they are playing in the elite competitions, playing with good players and and trying to win silverware. And unfortunately for Liverpool, it has gone on for so long, that it is very difficult to turnaround. I think part of that problem is a failure to accept their place in the pecking order of things. I'm sure that behind closed doors Liverpool hierarchy etc are a little more realistic, but sometimes the way things are done, you wouldn't think so. Carragher has got some airtime from his comments about how Liverpool are now like Totenham, but the truth is Liverpool have been there for easily a decade, bar the odd sporadic anomaly.

As a United fan, I see the same problems in terms of recruitment at our club, just at a higher level. Players choose Bayern, Barca and Real because of the ease of silverware and the near guarantee of year on year deep runs into the Champions league and title contention.

Liverpool have the same problem at a slightly lower level of the market. They "want" to entice the best players, but they are doing so on a hope they can get into the top 4 and secure champions league. There is no guarantee there. So what's left? Buying players with potential, before the big clubs come sniffing, in the hope they can be moulded into top talent and produce for the team. Obviously that is going to be largely hit or miss. And for Liverpool in recent times it's been mostly miss. But there are some hits there. What must be utterly frustrating is by the time you have that player to the point of "right, we have a talent here, lets build around it" that player jumps ship and moves to a more succesfull club. But while its frustrating, it should not be a surprise considering that is the cycle Liverpool are in.

United very much threw money at the problem to ensure they didn't enter that cycle. Get back into CL ASAP, and ensure you can keep attracting the top talent. But there is a clear pattern emerging where the best players are no longer coming to England. The cyclical nature of the title race means that a big player with unfortunate timing, can spend two years in England with nothing to show for it, and two important years of their career gone also. So its not surprise all the talent is moving to Spain and Germany, if not there already.

The point of the above is that while Liverpool and United sit at different levels in terms of recent success, finances blah blah blah, they do, and will, face the same problems in the coming years, albeit at slightly different ends of the market. And where that becomes even harder for Liverpool, is that when all the top targets choose Bayern, Real or Barca, United move into that sphere where Liverpool are also working, making it even HARDER for them again. So they are forced further down the levels in terms of quality available i nthe market, and need to get creative in terms of buying potential or moulding their own youth players.

Klopp will be a sensible appointment. He has a genuine track record of success but also coaching players to be better, and making teams greater then the sum of their parts. This is the promise Rodger came with, but personally I think it was all bluff. He had a template at Swansea that was there before him that kept working, and he couldn't transfer that over to Liverpool and clearly didn't know what attributes in players he needed for that template.

While Klopp will bring a big personality, and hopefully for Liverpool fans a clear trajectory of improvement, it's a good time for fans and especially ex-players and the rich ex-liverpool punditry environment, to take stock and finally accept how the cards lie. Otherwise the cycle repeats and unrealistic expectations and demands will breathe unrealistic pressure, and another manager driven out of the club with little to nothing to show for it.

Great post. It seems there are some sensible posters on boards!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Just wait til Klopp turns up and starts dishing out the slaps. He does like a nice open hander round the chops, thinks it's mad craic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Check out the redcafe thread, suddenly Klopp is likely to fail, is overrated and so on. Until the Liverpool link they were singing his praises to the ceiling and wanted him over LVG
    Being likely to fail at Liverpool would more be to do with the fans having expectations somewhat above the current ability of the squad I'd say. What if Klopp comes in now and form continues the way it has until January? What if there is no money available in January and he has to wait until the Summer to start a rebuild? These could all be factors.

In my opinion he'd get certain players playing better quite quickly but a lot of them are clearly not upto the standard that they would need to be for a top 4 finish which seems to be where a lot of Liverpool fans think they should be, or at least aspiring to be in the near future. These things take time, with significantly less money but less pressure and more time Martinez has brought together a group, albeit from a good base that Moyes left him, that is at least on a par if not better than Liverpool. They are shopping in an echelon below Liverpool in terms of profile and finance too.

Just because I think Klopp is a fantastic manager doesn't mean I'd think everything is going to work out at Liverpool. There are other factors to consider when looking at it. If I had to bet I'd think it would be a success but there are a lot of factors either way.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

As a neutral I'd like to see klopp go to Liverpool. Would be entertaining if nothing else.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

That's narrow minded tribal stuff.

Klopps arrival at Liverpool wont immediately concern me (as a United fan) but it will definitely mean having one eye on Anfield. He is a coach I really like and think will do well anywhere he goes. But as Baldy said earlier he wont turn it around in a season.

Van Gaal has this season and next season and then he is off. Depending on how this and next year plays out, we will have either won a title and used that position to strengthen with genuine talent and maintained strength, or its another two seasons of 3rd/4th place finishes, where a settled, upward trajectory Klopp and Liverpool can capitalise on that changeover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

As much as I would hate seeing Klopp at Liverpool, I am really looking forward to having him in the Premier League.

That's narrow minded tribal stuff.

Klopps arrival at Liverpool wont immediately concern me (as a United fan) but it will definitely mean having one eye on Anfield. He is a coach I really like and think will do well anywhere he goes. But as Baldy said earlier he wont turn it around in a season.

Van Gaal has this season and next season and then he is off. Depending on how this and next year plays out, we will have either won a title and used that position to strengthen with genuine talent and maintained strength, or its another two seasons of 3rd/4th place finishes, where a settled, upward trajectory Klopp and Liverpool can capitalise on that changeover.

I would think VG might be gone this summer. Wouldn't surprise me if Ancelotti might come in then.

jpboard1 wrote: »
    I would think VG might be gone this summer. Wouldn't surprise me if Ancelotti might come in then.

My napkin theory is that Van Gaal with United will mount some form of title challenge this year. (As unlikely or likely as that might seem depending on your view) Guardiola finishes with Bayern after this season, and takes a "sebatical". Van Gaal finishes his final season with the club as promised, and hopefully by then a title in the bag. If not, atleast there is a decent squad to work with. Guardiola then comes into take over United for a 3-4 year period.

Thats my "dream" scenario anyway. I don't buy the Guardialo to City stuff anyway. Read enough books about him and Untied had a lasting impression on him, and he was always mad eager to speak with Sir Alex at manager events. And not to mention recent revelations(although somewhat known at the time) that Pep was first choice to succeed him. Who knows what was said at the time ;)

I don't forsee Van Gaal being so bad that is he turfed out this summer, and expect him to be there until the end of next season.

My napkin theory is that Van Gaal with United will mount some form of title challenge this year. (As unlikely or likely as that might seem depending on your view) Guardiola finishes with Bayern after this season, and takes a "sebatical". Van Gaal finishes his final season with the club as promised, and hopefully by then a title in the bag. If not, atleast there is a decent squad to work with. Guardiola then comes into take over United for a 3-4 year period.

Thats my "dream" scenario anyway. I don't buy the Guardialo to City stuff anyway. Read enough books about him and Untied had a lasting impression on him, and he was always mad eager to speak with Sir Alex at manager events. And not to mention recent revelations(although somewhat known at the time) that Pep was first choice to succeed him. Who knows what was said at the time ;)

I don't forsee Van Gaal being so bad that is he turfed out this summer, and expect him to be there until the end of next season.

Would be surprised to see Pep there. Would be great for the league though

What about Pep to Chelsea after Mou does he standard tough 3rd season disappearing act? Maybe they'll apologise to Ancelotti and invite him back?

Funny turn the thread took. The lads that moan about match threads getting derailed derail a thread about a manager getting sacked! Couldn't make it up.

Anyway, good luck to Rodgers. It has gone stale and new ideas are needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Very Bored

I'm afraid Liverpool fans have to take a reality check. If a Klopp or an Ancelotti goes to them then I would be very surprised. Look at the list of managers we've taken in recent years and we're no smaller a world name. In fact we've been more successful more recently and our road back to the top is not as difficult because we are still one of the three big players, at least financially, in our league. After Mourinho and until the return of Mancini we've lived on a diet of managers below the top drawer. The only reason Mancini has returned is because he has a personal connection with the club.

Equally, those who think Liverpool are not a big club are living in cloud cuckoo land. Make a list of the top twenty clubs in the world and Liverpool are still definitely amongst them, as are we. Its a big club with the potential to be enormous. But until it starts to meet some of that potential it remains too big a risk for a top drawer manager looking to keep adding trophies to his CV to keep his profile up. We're exactly the same and its the harsh reality clubs in this situation need to get used to. We're both big enough clubs to expect a manager to return the Premier League or scudetto within three years, we're not good enough to guarantee it though. And that makes us too big a danger for a manager commanding the top salaries.

• Advertisement

Red Cafe like RAWK attracts many clowns with extreme views. Probably not the best places to find opinions

The most ironic thing about the sacking of Rodgers, is that his replacement will be a man with great character.

For anyone that doesn't think Klopp will be the next boss, he's 3/1 NOT to be the next Liverpool manager on betfair

Fill your boots, no limit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Brendan Rodgers Statement
    "I am, of course, incredibly disappointed to be leaving Liverpool Football Club. It has been both an honour and a privilege to manage one of the game’s great clubs for the last three years.
    “I have worked every day to represent the club to the best of my ability, to develop both individual players and a team that the club’s magnificent fans can be proud of. There have been some very memorable moments during my time at Liverpool and I would like to thank all of the players for their hard work and commitment. The current squad is one in transition, but they have some real talent and are showing a strong sense of togetherness. I expect to see them continue to grow and develop over the coming weeks and I wish them and my successor well for the rest of the season.

“Liverpool has a magnificent football heritage and I have nothing but respect and admiration for the history, tradition and values that make the city and the club so exceptional. As well as my players, I would like to thank everyone connected with the club; Fenway Sports Group, the Liverpool Directors, in particular Ian Ayre, my coaching staff, the staff throughout the club, the volunteers, the Academy staff and its young players and of course the amazing Liverpool fans for their unwavering support, passion and dedication which has made my time at the club so special.

“Finally, I would like to give a special mention to John W. Henry, Tom Werner and Mike Gordon. They gave me this great opportunity and even though we will no longer be working together I am sure our relationship and friendship will continue into the future.”

rarnes1 wrote: »
    For anyone that doesn't think Klopp will be the next boss, he's 3/1 NOT to be the next Liverpool manager on betfair

Fill your boots, no limit

Put a tenner down on that.

It's a win-win if I ever saw one.

Liam O wrote: »
    Anyone who doubts what Klopp has achieved in his career either has some ulterior motive or is very ignorant.

:rolleyes:

Or maybe they have been watching football for more than ten minutes and so have a little perspective on the role of the manager and how easy it is to be flavour of the month.

I have no axe to grind with Klopp, if Liverpool are going to get anybody it might as well be him, he can certainly make a good case for himself. But you would think to read posters like you that he was some managerial genius and I'm sorry, but he ain't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

it's not surprising that many Utd fans are saying Klopp's overrated. it's football tribalism at its least subtle. many can't see a good appointment for what it is when it involves a club they hate.

the narrative in many people's heads is that 'Liverpool are shíte'. Therefore, the extension of that is that they can't get a proven, top quality manager.

i just hope those now denouncing Klopp can even take a second to step back, be objective, and say to themselves that this would be a top quality appointment. you don't have to admit it. you don't have to post it. i wouldn't want you to sully yourself by having to say anything remotely positive about anything Liverpool has done.

I just hope you're honest with yourself, even for a moment.

it'd be sad if your hate was so deep that even that was impossible.

:rolleyes:

Or maybe they have been watching football for more than ten minutes and so have a little perspective on the role of the manager and how easy it is to be flavour of the month.

I have no axe to grind with Klopp, if Liverpool are going to get anybody it might as well be him, he can certainly make a good case for himself. But you would think to read posters like you that he was some managerial genius and I'm sorry, but he ain't.

He's had a very impressive track record in a short period of time, which demands much more respect than the likes of you are able to afford. Partisan football chat is often best ignored, it comes from a daft place where crests and team colours blind any kind of objectivity available.

That said, I'm more of an Ancelotti fan, but would be very happy with either.

I would be interested to hear of any other manager's who have won a league which at the time included one of Bayern Munich, Barca, Real or PSG (one of the real powers of the Euro leagues) of the modern era and also got a team to the CL final. The only other i can think of is Simeone.

Kind of makes a mockery of trite statements like "you would think to read posters like you that he was some managerial genius and I'm sorry, but he ain't"

In my opinion, at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

From the guardian:

Liverpool are no longer an elite European club. Their recent domestic record is one League Cup since 2006. When a coach of Klopp’s calibre is available, and attracted by the prospect of revitalising a historic club, that club has to act.

I think this is accurate.
    I'd be jealous to see him at Liverpool but also intrigued.
    His Dortmund teams were exiting and the Man himself is great entertainment and very likeable.

• Advertisement

Its seem I cannot have an opinion on a manager without it being dismissed as "partisan" and unfounded. :rolleyes: God forbid I repeat the view of Klopp that I have offered up more than once and long before he ever was linked with Liverpool.

Advertisement