Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brendan Rodgers sacked.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

:rolleyes:

Or maybe they have been watching football for more than ten minutes and so have a little perspective on the role of the manager and how easy it is to be flavour of the month.

I have no axe to grind with Klopp, if Liverpool are going to get anybody it might as well be him, he can certainly make a good case for himself. But you would think to read posters like you that he was some managerial genius and I'm sorry, but he ain't.

No manager would be an instant success with this Liverpool squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

bad2dabone wrote: »
    From the guardian:

Liverpool are no longer an elite European club. Their recent domestic record is one League Cup since 2006. When a coach of Klopp’s calibre is available, and attracted by the prospect of revitalising a historic club, that club has to act.

I think this is accurate.
    I'd be jealous to see him at Liverpool but also intrigued.
    His Dortmund teams were exiting and the Man himself is great entertainment and very likeable.

there is nothing there that any sane Liverpool fan can disagree with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Probably not, but some manager could strike gold, things could click and they could go on a run in some competition. Stranger things have happened, just ask Di Matteo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Depends what you think success is. For me it's top 4 and I think the squad is good enough to challenge.

Its seem I cannot have an opinion on a manager without it being dismissed as "partisan" and unfounded. :rolleyes: God forbid I repeat the view of Klopp that I have offered up more than once and long before he ever was linked with Liverpool.

In fairness most posters have replied with the reasons why they disagree with you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Klopp is a very good manager, and would be a perfect fit for Liverpools situation in terms of getting high upside players with a low profile and price tag. But I just really, really do not see him opting to go there myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,453 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

SlickRic wrote: »
    it's not surprising that many Utd fans are saying Klopp's overrated. it's football tribalism at its least subtle. many can't see a good appointment for what it is when it involves a club they hate.

the narrative in many people's heads is that 'Liverpool are shíte'. Therefore, the extension of that is that they can't get a proven, top quality manager.

i just hope those now denouncing Klopp can even take a second to step back, be objective, and say to themselves that this would be a top quality appointment. you don't have to admit it. you don't have to post it. i wouldn't want you to sully yourself by having to say anything remotely positive about anything Liverpool has done.

I just hope you're honest with yourself, even for a moment.

it'd be sad if your hate was so deep that even that was impossible.

As a United fan I wouldn't be given over to such petty nonsense. I think Rodgers was a manager who over achieved too early in his time at Liverpool and once his star player was sold struggled as anyone would to scale the heights he had reached beforehand. If we are talking about reality checks perhaps it should be noted that it was a combination of poor management by Rodgers (relative to his Heights at the club) as well as diminishing returns from and a reduction in quality of his playing staff.
    I'm sure Jurgen Klopp has what it takes to be a success at Liverpool but it will most likely be after having brought in new faces to rejuvenate the side. Klopp had of course been linked with United in the past as LVG had been with Liverpool, football fans come out with some awful nonsense in the name of tribalism as you stated but to expect any manager to succeed immediately at a club with the particular set of issues Liverpool are dealing with right now is not reasonable. I just find it strange that Liverpool chose to sack a manager at the start of October and a top managerial talent would leave his club at the same time, logic has taken a holiday it would seem.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Billy86 wrote: »
    Klopp is a very good manager, and would be a perfect fit for Liverpools situation in terms of getting high upside players with a low profile and price tag. But I just really, really do not see him opting to go there myself.

What evidence do you have to say that he's not interested? Because everything I've seen from him and his people indicates that he's interested in managing a club of our level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Billy86 wrote: »

Who do think will then? I think he's a shoe in for the job and it will be a real coup for Liverpool.

They obviously have some one lined up, with the timing of the Rodgers sacking.

I don't see Ancelloti going there so it looks like Klopp to me.

Its seem I cannot have an opinion on a manager without it being dismissed as "partisan" and unfounded. :rolleyes: God forbid I repeat the view of Klopp that I have offered up more than once and long before he ever was linked with Liverpool.

To reinforce this point and show how kneejerk some of the replies are, here are two posts of mine. One from 5 months ago and one from over a year ago.
    He seems to be everybody's darling, but I think Klopp is going to flop in his next job. If he goes to Madrid he won't last a year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

You can use the rollseyes thing here, or you can chose to offer up a justification for your opinion. I did, other posters did.

God forbid you are called out on your statements....

You can use the rollseyes thing here, or you can chose to offer up a justification for your opinion. I did, other posters did.

God forbid you are called out on your statements....
    Your post deserved nothing more than rolling eyes.
    Partisan football chat is often best ignored, it comes from a daft place where crests and team colours blind any kind of objectivity available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

would like to see examples of posters changing their tune just because a player/manager joins a team they don't like

if you are going to call them out on it then you should have something to back it up

LiamoSail wrote: »
    10 years is obviously a lifetime for yourself (literally, judging by your posts), but for most it takes more than 10 yrs of success to be considered a big club.

City & Chelsea are better sides than the likes of Liverpool, Ajax, Milan etc, and have been for a few years, but they're not bigger clubs. When they sustain their success for a generation, and dominate consistently both in Europe & home, then you might have a point, but right now, despite all those Thierry Henry Greatest league in the world ads you watch, they aren't

So what you are saying is Liverpool are a bigger club than Chelsea and City?

Interesting opinion you have there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

I'll be honest when I heard talk of Ancellotti for the pool job I thought surely he wouldn't go for that, he'd hold out for a better opportunity with another club that can be up there realistically challenging.

With Klopp I think he's just crazy enough to take it on if rumours are to be believed! If I was a Liverpool fan I'd be delighted if it worked out getting Klopp. Would definitely bring renewed hope where it's badly needed.

With regard to Liverpool being a big club or not, of course historically Liverpool are right up there. I think when we're talking about big clubs you can't ignore Liverpool's history. The current squad and set up is a long way off competing for the top honours or being back in the big leagues but I would still consider Liverpool a big club because of that history. I don't how much time needs to pass for that argument to become redundant but for me they're not there yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

You don't seem to grasp the different concepts of 'big' and 'successful'.

Leeds Utd are a bigger club than many in the Premiership.

I don't see what you are trying to achieve.

Arsenal with two fa cups in 10 years and zero European cups mustn't be a big club either I guess going by some people ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Arsenal with two fa cups in 10 years and zero European cups mustn't be a big club either I guess going by some people ...

Ah now they won the Fairs Cup in 1970 and the Cup Winners Cup in 1994.

My club is bigger than your club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Teflon Ron

All things considered, they're a much bigger club. And in the PL, there are no bigger than United and Liverpool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

I must've had bags under my eyes all day because I thought I heard he just left. WTF is wrong with me?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

nullzero wrote: »
    I just find it strange that Liverpool chose to sack a manager at the start of October and a top managerial talent would leave his club at the same time, logic has taken a holiday it would seem.

I assume you know Klopp isn't a current manager anywhere? Based on that I'm not sure what the above refers to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

would like to see examples of posters changing their tune just because a player/manager joins a team they don't like

if you are going to call them out on it then you should have something to back it up

What's your opinion on Klopp?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

JT26 wrote: »
    What a load of absolute bull****e

Sorry Chelsea had a glorious history before Abramovich. Who could forget the glory years in 1955 when they won the first division?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

LFC are one of Europe's biggest clubs, I'm not sure how anyone can genuinely argue that one. Sure, Chelsea, City and United have more money but it's not like LFC are streets behind. At a guess I would think our spend is consistently in the top 10 in Europe - and considering that there are thousands and thousands of clubs, top 10 would count as one of the biggest, no?

Nobody is seeing we're the biggest club around, but to say we're not a top club is just plain wrong. Massive worldwide fan base, a ground being redeveloped to bring our attendance up, lots of money pumped into the club every year through large sponsorship deals and investment, a very successful history and hey, just for the fun of it, let's include fairly recent history too such as the Champions League 10 years ago. That's not small time.

We're a similar club to Utd, hence the biggest rivalry in the Premiership, albeit we're playing catch-up a little. If the club makes the right managerial appointment (Klopp, I'm hoping), LFC will hopefully narrow that gap further.

What's your opinion on Klopp?

His philosophy is brilliant when he gets it right, Dortmund played some of the best football I've ever watched. The extent of his involvement in transfers is still pretty much up in the air, that Dortmund team were super talented, and what happened at the end of his tenure would be a worry.

A big risk for him if he doesn't do well at Pool his career could nose dive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

TheDoc wrote: »
    Carragher has got some airtime from his comments about how Liverpool are now like Totenham, but the truth is Liverpool have been there for easily a decade, bar the odd sporadic anomaly.

A good post, but I have to disagree with this part. In the last decade Liverpool have:

2005: champions league winners
    2006: fa cup winners
    2007: champions league runners up
    2009: premiership runners up
    2010: Europa league semi finalists
    2012: league cup winners, fa cup runners up
    2014: premiership runners up

That is not comparable with spurs. Perhaps over the last five years, but definitely not the past decade. Even over the last five years, although admittedly an anomaly, Liverpool have had a campaign that spurs are simply incapable of having. Liverpool aren't as dormant a giant as some people believe. For the entirety of Benitez reign Liverpool were one of biggest and best performing clubs in Europe.

A worry for any manager at a new club, surely?

• Advertisement

His philosophy is brilliant when he gets it right, Dortmund played some of the best football I've ever watched. The extent of his involvement in transfers is still pretty much up in the air, that Dortmund team were super talented, and what happened at the end of his tenure would be a worry.

And would you rate him higher than LVG?

MR NINE wrote: »
    A good post, but I have to disagree with this part. In the last decade Liverpool have:

That is not comparable with spurs. Perhaps over the last five years, but definitely not the past decade. Even over the last five years, although admittedly an anomaly, Liverpool have had a campaign that spurs are simply incapable of having. Liverpool aren't as dormant a giant as some people believe. For the entirety of Benitez reign Liverpool were one of biggest and best performing clubs in Europe.

Spurs have finished ahead of Liverpool in 5 of the last 6 seasons.

The big club debate is a bit of a silly one, much like debating whether a player is world class. It's a term that means different things to different people. As far as I can tell the measures of a big club are:

Trophies won
    Fanbase
    Finances
    Current squad/manager quality

By two of those measures Liverpool are one of the biggest around. In terms of finances I'd say they're probably top ten. Its current squad/manager quality that lets them down but by that measure Utd are the fourth biggest team in England which I doubt many on here would really agree with.

And would you rate him higher than LVG?

Nope

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

I hope Klopp does go to Liverpool, because frankly I think he will be a failure there.

He is lauded as one of the top managers in the game for doing a good job at Dortmund, but in fact there is little to suggest he will be a guaranteed success anywhere else, the game is full of managers who did well at one club then completely failed to recreate that success at the next.

You would think Klopp was a legend of the game to hear some of the gushing praise he gets when in fact he could easily be as successful as AVB or Phil Scolari.

Of course he could be successful, but I certainly won't be placing any bets on it.

I don't agree. There were other clubs before Dortmund, he didn't get there from the job centre.

He did a fantastic job with Mainz as a young coach making it all the way from Bundesliga 2 into the UEFA cup and stayed with them even when times got tougher again. Then he lead Dortmund to heights they weren't even dreaming of. He did so with a charismatic personality and a great passion for the game and he won't change his ways at another club. I like the guy, he's what you'd call a right character.
    But he's also paired with serious competence and a love for fast attacking football plus he can form a real bond in the squad. His managerial credentials are beyond doubt imo.

I'd say if he became Liverpool manager he has a 50% chance of success. I only give him 50% because simply England is different to the Bundesliga, very different. But if he did become manager at Liverpool and succeed it could be the start of something. It's either going to be a spectacular fail or a spectacular success.

I'm not a great friend of Liverpool but I'd love to see it happening. Popcorn at the ready. I might find myself rooting for them even. :eek:

Nope

But you used to right?

• Advertisement

Yes, that's why I said over the last five years perhaps they are comparable, but not the last decade. Liverpool have achieved things in the last decade spurs won't achieve for a very very long time if ever. And as I also pointed out, I don't believe spurs are capable of having a campaign like the one Liverpool had two years ago

But you used to right?

Van Gaal is more of what we need now

I would take Klopp when things have settled, that will never happen if he manages Pool you'd think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

MR NINE wrote: »

2007: Didn't Win Anything
    2009: Didn't Win Anything
    2010: Didn't Win Anything
    2012: league cup winners
    2014: Didn't Win Anything

Van Gaal is more of what we need now

I would take Klopp when things have settled, that will never happen if he manages Pool you'd think

But you wanted Klopp before LVG was hired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Far bigger. Chelsea are a still a yoyo club enjoying a rare purple patch in the greater scheme of things. City, despite a richer history, are probably of similar stature

Both City and Chelsea have better sides than Liverpool, Have been more successful over the last 10 years and are richer, but that doesn't make them bigger. Keep it up and it will, but Liverpool have pedigree. Like Real,Barca, Milan, Ajax, Juve, United. Clubs that have dominated Their domestic leagues and dominated Europe, maintaining a level of success over a prolonged period. These clubs were big 40 years ago, and still are to varying degrees. Can the likes of Chelsea or City do that? I'd be doubtful. Wealth based on stolen oil and human rights violations doesn't last forever

• Advertisement

I wanted Van Gaal as well, the club needed to stabilise and Van Gaal was a better option than Klopp for doing so. Klopp or Guardiola after Van Gaal for long term

In fairness they only finished ahead of liverpool last year because liverpool stopped playing 5 games out.

I wanted Van Gaal as well, the club needed to stabilise and Van Gaal was a better option than Klopp for doing so. Klopp or Guardiola after Van Gaal for long term

Why must you lie? These are just 2 of your posts about Klopp before LVG got the United job.
    Rayne Wooney 15:40 21-04-2014
    Yeah but if there is even a sniff of getting someone like Klopp LVG isn't going to be first choice for me
    Rayne Wooney 17:03 17-03-2014
    Klopp is perfect for what we need, his brand of football is magnificent to watch and who knows what he can do with financial muscle behind him.

glued wrote: »
    I'd say Liverpool are a bigger club than Man City anyway. Chelsea are getting there but they don't really have much history outside of Abramovich.

Chelsea's only history of note outside of abramovich revolves around their right wing fans hooliganism. They're just footballs version of the National Front Nazi that's grown up, donned a suit and joined UKIP

Tbf, that's probably because he doesn't count LVG's success as the majority of it was achieved prior to 2009.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

That's fantastic. :pac::pac:

There's a definite sense of insecurity coming from some posters on this thread.

Getting Klopp would have more of an impact on the club than signing a 40 million player world class player imo.

Hopefully Klopp will come to Liverpool, early reports suggest negotiations are going well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Teflon Ron

Can't believe some of the rubbish posted by fellow United fans. It's f*cking embarrassing.

Purely because of the brand of football Klopp's Dortmund played, I'd have taken him over LVG any day.

First choice would've been Carlo though. His Chelsea team played some of the best football I've seen in the PL.

2007: Didn't Win Anything
    2009: Didn't Win Anything
    2010: Didn't Win Anything
    2012: league cup winners
    2014: Didn't Win Anything

Spurs:
    2005, 06, 07, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14: Didn't win anything
    2008: League cup winners

I'm not sure of your point here? Spurs finishing in 4th or 5th a few times ahead of Liverpool is more impressive than LFC winning the Champions League and FA Cup, and being runners-up in the Champions League and Premiership?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Some scutter being posted in here, from sections of both supporters.

At the end of the day Klopp will be a damn sight better than BR.

He went toe to toe with the giants of Munich and came out on top more than once.

He also did well in Europe, something LFC have not done since Rafa's tenure.

There are some good players at LFC whether some United fans will agree or not.

LFC are also still a big draw, maybe not on the scale of a Chelsea or a United but they aren't far off it.

If he does come in then I'd expect him to make a good run at top 4 and a good EL run too.

Next summer will be very interesting and the following year we will really see his mettle.

He also seems like a real character, something, aside from LVG, the premiership has been lacking for some time.

He may well fall flat on his face but there is just as much chance of him making LFC genuine title contenders.

IMO if any United fans say they arent a bit concerned and that they won't be looking over their shoulder then they are either deluded or liars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Spurs and Liverpool are one and the same the last few years bar the suarezcharged Liverpool that nearly won the title neither side as done much else in the last 5+ years bar squander massive amounts of money on rubbish players

• Advertisement
Advertisement