Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brendan Rodgers sacked.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Spurs and Liverpool are one and the same the last few years bar the suarezcharged Liverpool that nearly won the title neither side as done much else in the last 5+ years bar squander massive amounts of money on rubbish players

I don't agree there all rubbish players. Lot of decent players at liverpool if they are set up right. I mean one world class players and they nearly won the league so they can't be that bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

What evidence do you have to say that he's not interested? Because everything I've seen from him and his people indicates that he's interested in managing a club of our level.

Such as? I only caught up on the news today in work (football coverage in Toronto is fairly gash), but I have yet to see anything indicated in either direction beyond Liverpool wanting him - not vice versa.
    adox wrote: »
    Who do think will then? I think he's a shoe in for the job and it will be a real coup for Liverpool.

They obviously have some one lined up, with the timing of the Rodgers sacking.

I don't see Ancelloti going there so it looks like Klopp to me.

Not a clue, but my point is not that Klopp is not the right guy for Liverpool - it is that I would not expect him to accept an offer from them, they just don't have the "pull factors" as far as I am concerned. And that is doubly true for Ancelotti.

I expect someone of quite a lower stature, to be honest.

EDIT: To add though, yeah it would be a massive coup if Liverpool got him. I think he was the number 1 guy I wanted for Man Utd both last summer (LVG), and the year (Moyes) before also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Billy86 wrote: »
    Such as? I only caught up on the news today in work (football coverage in Toronto is fairly gash), but I have yet to see anything indicated in either direction beyond Liverpool wanting him - not vice versa.

Not a clue, but my point is not that Klopp is not the right guy for Liverpool - it is that I would not expect him to accept an offer from them, they just don't have the "pull factors" as far as I am concerned. And that is doubly true for Ancelotti.

I expect someone of quite a lower stature, to be honest.

He's 1/10 odds to go to Liverpool. If that isn't an indication that he's likely to go I don't know what is.

magma69 wrote: »
    He's 1/10 odds to go to Liverpool. If that isn't an indication that he's likely to go I don't know what is.

Bookies odds on things like managerial appointments and transfers rarely mean much of anything. If someone went and put a hefty bet on De Boer right now, it completely shifts it and could even make him the favourite. Hence these "huge shifts" SSN and such blather on about in the odds that often amount to nothing.

De Boer also might not be a bad option either, mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

He is shortening on the exchange all day which is a better indication

Bookies odds on things like managerial appointments and transfers rarely mean much of anything. If someone went and put a hefty bet on De Boer right now, it completely shifts it and could even make him the favourite. Hence these "huge shifts" SSN and such blather on about in the odds that often amount to nothing.

We also know he's actually in talks with Liverpool too.

I get the feeling that you simply don't want to entertain the notion of Klopp with Liverpool but there's certainly more evidence to think he'll join than the managers you expect them to get in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

DeBoer has said he won't be taking the job. It will be Klopp, time to just accept it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34448282

Talks with Klopp progressing well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Why must you lie? These are just 2 of your posts about Klopp before LVG got the United job.

Lol

Why didn't you post the dates for the first one, oh because it must have been a year and a half ago and Dortmund fell apart in the mean time?

• Advertisement

Lol

Why didn't you post the dates for the first one, oh because it must have been a year and a half ago and Dortmund fell apart in the mean time?

I'll throw up the date now, 2 seconds.

Now, there you go. Just a month between the 2 posts.

DeBoer has said he won't be taking the job. It will be Klopp, time to just accept it.

Calm down there, pettle. I am just saying he could very likely get better options at the end of the season, so it would be a huge coup for Liverpool.

We also know he's actually in talks with Liverpool too.

I get the feeling that you simply don't want to entertain the notion of Klopp with Liverpool but there's certainly more evidence to think he'll join than the managers you expect them to get in.

No, I am just saying it is far from the guarantee some here seem to be taking it for. Not sure why some feel the need to get so defensive over this, because like I also said - it would be a massive coup, and he was someone I wanted over LVG.

No, I am just saying it is far from the guarantee some here seem to be taking it for.

That isn't what you said at all.

Not sure why some feel the need to get so defensive over this, because like I also said - it would be a massive coup, and he was someone I wanted over LVG.

It would be a massive coup for sure.

It's you saying there's no evidence so suggest he's more likely to join Liverpool than some lesser managers is what I took issue with. That's what you were saying, you said nothing about it being far from the guarantee some are taking it for.

That isn't what you said at all.

It would be a massive coup for sure.

It's you saying there's no evidence so suggest he's more likely to join Liverpool than some lesser managers is what I took issue with. That's what you were saying, you said nothing about it being far from the guarantee some are taking it for.
    Actually, about 2-3 hours ago I said I didn't see him accepting an offer, myself. Since then stories have come out about the talks 'progressing' which must be promising for Liverpool fans, but again is far from a guarantee.

Again, the overwhelming need to be defensive. It's strange, but whatever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,745 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Smart move if they got rid of Rodgers to get Klopp in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Far bigger. Chelsea are a still a yoyo club enjoying a rare purple patch in the greater scheme of things. City, despite a richer history, are probably of similar stature
    City a bigger club than Chelsea, now I've heard it all! :pac:

Spot who wasn't around in the nineties! Long before the Russian money Chelsea were always a strong side with the likes of Zola, Desailly, Vialli, Flo, Deschamps, Di Matteo, Poyet, Weah and Petrescu all strutting their stuff in the Premier league while City scratched around as a perenial relegation candidate.

City have a richer history? Thats actually hilarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Lol

And nothing counts if it happened more than a year and a half ago?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

City a bigger club than Chelsea, now I've heard it all! :pac:

Spot who wasn't around in the nineties! Long before the Russian money Chelsea were always a strong side with the likes of Zola, Desailly, Vialli, Flo, Deschamps, Di Matteo, Poyet, Weah and Petrescu all strutting their stuff in the Premier league while City scratched around as a perenial relegation candidate.

City have a richer history? Thats actually hilarious.

Never said City were a bigger club. By richer, I meant perhaps more colourful, likeable if you will. A bit like Chelsea but with less seig heil salutes from the fans

LiamoSail wrote: »
    And nothing counts if it happened more than a year and a half ago?

We both know he won't admit that he would have preferred Klopp to LVG despite me showing that is exactly what he wanted.

It must hurt him that his first choice for the United job could be managing a few miles down the road.

Why must you lie? These are just 2 of your posts about Klopp before LVG got the United job.

Well played.

Love those game set and match posts! :pac:

• Advertisement

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Well played.

Love those game set and match posts! :pac:

If you listen carefully you can hear the steam coming out of his ears while the cogs in his brain go into overdrive trying to think up a funny reply.

Klopp now 4/1 NOT to be the next Liverpool manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

Paul Joyce saying Klopp is done and will be announced before the end of the week. He is pretty much the eminent source for Liverpool news these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

There's an undercurrent of what appears to be bitterness and jealously, incredulity that klopp looks likely to take the Liverpool job. I won't deny that he'd be a frontrunner in my mind to be the arsenal manager when Wenger is done, so I'd be definitely disappointed if he does take it as I'd love his energy and style at the Emirates.
    However part of me wants to see what he does at anfield. Exciting times ahead and at the very least he won't be talking complete balls like Rodgers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Augme

As a Liverpool fan I'll obviously be delighted but also as a football fan. I think it will be great for the league. Obviously it would be much better for me if Chelsea kept doing poorly but I can also see the great entertainment and excitement potential if they start pulling together some results. Seeing Arsenal, City, United, Chelsea and Liverpool all fighting it out for at the top end of the league is something that I'd really enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭viper006

Viktor Fagerström ‏@lfcmaestro23 5m5 minutes ago
    Jürgen Klopp will be unveiled as the new manager of Liverpool on Tuesday after agreeing to a three year deal. (Tony Barrett) #LFC

This would be an incredible coup for FSG

I'll throw up the date now, 2 seconds.

Now, there you go. Just a month between the 2 posts.

March 2014, 9 month previous he won the league and came second in the champions league. His stock was at an all time high. And then in he year and a half since he seemingly didn't know how to fix what was happening at Dortmund and they were awful

You said do I rate Van Gaal over him now and of course I do, you'd be an idiot not to in United's case because he is trying to steady the ship. When Van Gaal builds his team then we can get someone like Guardiola or Klopp in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

March 2014, 9 month previous he won the league and came second in the champions league. His stock was at an all time high. And then in he year and a half since he seemingly didn't know how to fix what was happening at Dortmund and they were awful

You said do I rate Van Gaal over him now and of course I do, you'd be an idiot not to in United's case because he is trying to steady the ship. When Van Gaal builds his team then we can get someone like Guardiola or Klopp in

You're backtracking now. Just because Dortmund had a bad season, it doesn't mean he's lessened as a manager.

Look at Mourinho this season, are you going to say he's a bad manager now?

Sometimes circumstances beyond a manager's control can hamper their achievements, for example transfers, injuries etc.

Just face it that Liverpool will be getting a quality manager in if they get Klopp and also remember that your opponents don't get every decision wrong all the time and the club you support doesn't get everyone right which is how you come across.

Operation rollback

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Tony Barrett and James Pearce saying its done. That's as close as you can get to a club statement.

Times article: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CQlXOCHVEAAFYL5.jpg:large

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Teflon Ron

It's really not a coup.

Liverpool are a big club.

Klopp is a highly rated manager, but still with something to prove looking for a challenge with a big club in a competitive league.

It makes sense for both parties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Teflon Ron wrote: »
    It's really not a coup.

Liverpool are a big club.

Klopp is a highly rated manager, but still with something to prove looking for a challenge with a big club in a competitive league.

It makes sense for both parties.

It really really really really really really really really really really really is.

Of course it lessened him as a manager

When Rodgers almost won the league Liverpool fans thought he was the second coming of Paisley, and the proceeding season changed that

The original question was do I rate Klopp higher than Van Gaal, because I wanted Klopp as manager in early 2014 when he was untouchable is irrelevant to that question because it still doesn't change the fact that Van Gaal is a better manager at present and better for what United need now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Plenty of humble pie to be shared around here methinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

When Rodgers almost won the league Liverpool fans thought he was the second coming of Paisley, and the proceeding season changed that

The original question was do I rate Klopp higher than Van Gaal, because I wanted Klopp as manager in early 2014 when he was untouchable is irrelevant to that question because it still doesn't change the fact that Van Gaal is a better manager at present and better for what United need now

Seriously man, just stop. You already made yourself look like a fool so just own up and admit you lied about your beliefs back then. You clearly said that you wanted LvG over Klopp or Guardiola back then, which was proven to be a total lie.

You were caught red-handed by Caovyn so just own up and show a bit of bottle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Van Gaal is only better insofar as that he is working at the moment.

He has done nothing in his time at UTD to show he is better than Klopp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Seriously man, just stop. You already made yourself look like a fool so just own up and admit you lied about your beliefs back then. You clearly said that you wanted LvG over Klopp or Guardiola back then, which was proven to be a total lie.

You were caught red-handed by Caovyn so just own up and show a bit of bottle.

You mean show some character.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Unfortunately it's a good appointment for Liverpool. They were bound to get one right after the Hodgson, Dalglish and Rodgers hilarious choices

You clearly said that you wanted LvG over Klopp or Guardiola back them

No I didn't, stop making stuff up

• Advertisement

You mean show some character.

Shhh... Don't mention the 'c'-word.

You just know Jürgen will stick it in his opening statement now...

murpho999 wrote: »
    Van Gaal is only better insofar as that he is working at the moment.

He has done nothing in his time at UTD to show he is better than Klopp.

He's achieved the goal that was set to him to be fair

And he is achieving the goals for this season too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Fair play to Liverpool if Klopp is the next manager,his reign at Dortmund might have ended on a low but for a few seasons they played excellent football and he would be on the list of many clubs when looking for a manager.
    He is the calibre of manager FSG should have tried to get when they were replacing Kenny,it still seems incredible they went with Rodgers.He was unproven and are Liverpool in any better of a position after his tenure ?

If Klopp is given time and a decent transfer budget is available then it will be very interesting to see what he can do with the club.Exciting times ahead for Pool fans,the change probably should have taken place in the summer but thats neither here nor there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

If only they'd go away and stop embarrassing themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

With Moyes and now Rodgers getting sacked this will put an end to so called young British managers getting a shot at a big club.

I don't think top clubs will experiment again with unproven at the top level managers.

No I didn't, stop making stuff up
    I wanted Van Gaal as well, the club needed to stabilise and Van Gaal was a better option than Klopp for doing so. Klopp or Guardiola after Van Gaal for long term

Right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

In fairness whether you like Liverpool or not he'll certainly add some excitement to the PL. Also seems like he didn't feel he was too good for Liverpool after all.

With Moyes and now Rodgers getting sacked this will put an end to so called young British managers getting a shot at a big club.

I don't think top clubs will experiment again with unproven at the top level managers.

Hopefully this means more of them will go abroad. Say what you want about English managers, but they don't have a terrible record at foreign clubs; even Steve McClaren dominated the Eredivisie with Twente for a number of years.

I think British managers could do with a bit more experience in different types of leagues, such as slow-paced games in Italy. It might mean they are better prepared for EL/CL games which will benefit them at top English clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Of course every appointment is a risk, and I don't say Liverpool shouldn't take that risk.

I just roll my eyes a little at the gushing praise Klopp gets from all quarters. He is as likely to be the next David Moyes as he is to be the next Mourinho, I just think people should have a little perspective on the guy.

Er, let's not go overboard now.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Liverpool's best appointment since Benitez if it happens.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Right.

So are you going to show me the post where I said that I would prefer Van Gaal to Klopp in March 2014 or not?

It's like saying I would prefer Torres to Suarez in 2009, Suarez is obviously the better player likewise Van Gaal is the better manager now and better suited for what United need.

Do Liverpool fans honestly think Klopp is a better manager than Van Gaal based on their careers so far?

• Advertisement
Advertisement