Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brendan Rodgers sacked.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

He's achieved the goal that was set to him to be fair

And he is achieving the goals for this season too

Yes, they looked very good yesterday. So Utd are now just content to get top 4 now instead of winning titles. Becoming a smaller club so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

TheDoc wrote: »
    He is also a manager who has some clearly positive ties with players he has worked with, and players clearly want to play for him. Could be an added bonus for Liverpool if Klopp arrives, for an avenue to some players that otherwise would be massively unrealistic.

Similar to how Van Gaal's relationship with Memphis was a major advantage in that deal taking place, who knows what player(s) Liverpool could attract with the proposition of Klopp being at the helm.

This, will do no harm at all for prospective signings.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

murpho999 wrote: »
    Yes, they looked very good yesterday. So Utd are now just content to get top 4 now instead of winning titles. Becoming a smaller club so.

It's a marathon not a sprint, we are 2 points off first in third. The goal is to challenge and we are

City and Arsenal lost to West Ham

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

K-9 wrote: »
    This, will do no harm at all for prospective signings.

I don't see the Klopp factor having much of an impact of enticing players tbh. Nearly all players go where the money is.

SlickRic wrote: »
    it's not surprising that many Utd fans are saying Klopp's overrated. it's football tribalism at its least subtle. many can't see a good appointment for what it is when it involves a club they hate.

the narrative in many people's heads is that 'Liverpool are shíte'. Therefore, the extension of that is that they can't get a proven, top quality manager.

i just hope those now denouncing Klopp can even take a second to step back, be objective, and say to themselves that this would be a top quality appointment. you don't have to admit it. you don't have to post it. i wouldn't want you to sully yourself by having to say anything remotely positive about anything Liverpool has done.

I just hope you're honest with yourself, even for a moment.

it'd be sad if your hate was so deep that even that was impossible.

Its shock to hear it is possible.

Couple of the more normal United fans I know just didn't think Klopp would be an option when talking about replacements.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭johnny osbourne

if it wasn't for demba ba

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Its shock to hear it is possible.

Couple of the more normal United fans I know just didn't think Klopp would be an option when talking about replacements.

I don't see why it's being viewed as such a shock.

The guy is out if a job. Also he has never managed an "elite" team before. Someone like Ancellotti might have been surprising in this respect.

Also Klopp had great years at Dortmund, a club and a challenge similar to Liverpool/Liverpool's situation in many ways, but a bigger step up in terms of global fanbase, pressure etc... Seems like a reasonable next step

Klopp didn't shy away of the challenge to work at a financial disadvantage with Dortmund (it seemed he relished it) so why would that change?

Liverpool's history, loyal and passionate fanbase will be a draw for certain managers and Klopp seems like that sort. It's not outlandish to suggest that these elements as well as the opportunity to build something and have a chance at a longer term project appeal to Klopp more than what a club like Chelsea might offer

Some describing it as a "coup" for Liverpool - no doubt it looks like an excellent appointment and the fans will be happy, but I imagine Klopp is also feeling privileged and excited about the opportunity.

It a move that makes sense for both parties and is no great shock - sure it's been rumoured for weeks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

It's a marathon not a sprint, we are 2 points off first in third. The goal is to challenge and we are

City and Arsenal lost to West Ham

Ok, so I'm trying to work out the logic of Utd being title challengers whilst being 2 points adrift but Liverpool have absolutely no hope of top 4 despite being only 3 points off fourth place and 4 behind Utd?

murpho999 wrote: »
    Ok, so I'm trying to work out the logic of Utd being title challengers whilst being 2 points adrift but Liverpool have absolutely no hope of top 4 despite being only 3 points off fourth place and 4 behind Utd?

Because United came 4th last season and are improving on that? Now 3rd, were 1st, I said the goals are being achieved so far, which they are

Of course it lessened him as a manager

When Rodgers almost won the league Liverpool fans thought he was the second coming of Paisley, and the proceeding season changed that

The original question was do I rate Klopp higher than Van Gaal, because I wanted Klopp as manager in early 2014 when he was untouchable is irrelevant to that question because it still doesn't change the fact that Van Gaal is a better manager at present and better for what United need now

So you flip flop opinions if a manager has a bad season. So being consistent LVG must have been a worry with his track record of failed seasons.

Anyway, caught hook, line and sinker. You walked right into it too, he gave you a few chances to wriggle out of it but nope, had to keep biting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,175 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Klopp's achievements ought to be put in perspective.The Bundesliga is a far weaker league than the Premiership - a two horse race, in effect. Ottmar Hitzfeld's successful spell as manager, including a Champions League win in 1997, was far more praiseworthy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I would be interested to hear of any other manager's who have won a league which at the time included one of Bayern Munich, Barca, Real or PSG (one of the real powers of the Euro leagues) of the modern era and also got a team to the CL final. The only other i can think of is Simeone.

Benitez?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

The bundesliga is not far weaker than the PL though, regardless of what Sky might drum out.

So you flip flop opinions if a manager has a bad season. So being consistent LVG must have been a worry with his track record of failed seasons.

Anyway, caught hook, line and sinker. You walked right into it too, he gave you a few chances to wriggle out of it but nope, had to keep biting.

Is changing your opinion in the space of a year and a half flip flopping? Because that was the original question he asked me

It was obvious after bringing Van Gaal up what he was angling for, it would have been better if he actually caught me out as you say and I denied ever wanting Klopp over Van Gaal but you'll see I didn't
    But you wanted Klopp before LVG was hired.

I wanted Van Gaal as well, the club needed to stabilise and Van Gaal was a better option than Klopp for doing so. Klopp or Guardiola after Van Gaal for long term

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

LvG would have been a better appointment than Klopp. But the ship sailed on that one a long time ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

chicorytip wrote: »
    Klopp's achievements ought to be put in perspective.The Bundesliga is a far weaker league than the Premiership - a two horse race, in effect. Ottmar Hitzfeld's successful spell as manager, including a Champions League win in 1997, was far more praiseworthy.

The Bundesliga isn't a far weaker league than the mighty premiership. It's quite clear that the top English sides currently don't compare to the top European sides. Back to back Bundesliga titles followed by a champions league final as well as domestic cups do not need to be put into perspective. It was a fantastic achievement by Klopp and Dortmund.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Knex. wrote: »
    The bundesliga is not far weaker than the PL though, regardless of what Sky might drum out.

The best?? erm most competitive?? erm exciting....will that do? league in the world.
    It is a huge achievement to win the Bundesliga from where Dortmund were when he took over & getting them to a CL final.
    Does that mean he will do the exact same at Liverpool? Of course not. He hasn't even taken the job ffs.
    But talking down those achievements is talking absolute fücking bollocks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Knex. wrote: »

It pretty much is though. We're going too far the other way, imo. Sure, the PL has had a rough couple of years but in any given season you will have 4, maybe 5 teams if you consider Pool a potential challenger considering 2014, that could potentially be strong. In the Bundesliga, you just have to hope that Bayern have a down season and you are in with a chance.

That is not to take away from Klopp's achievements though. That Dortmund team would have challenged anywhere. The Bundesliga has one and a half solid clubs that are always capable of mounting a challenge at home and abroad. The PL has 4 or 5.

It pretty much is though. We're going too far the other way, imo. Sure, the PL has had a rough couple of years but in any given season you will have 4, maybe 5 teams if you consider Pool a potential challenger considering 2014, that could potentially be strong. In the Bundesliga, you just have to hope that Bayern have a down season and you are in with a chance.

I genuinely can't remember a season where more than 3 teams in the PL were actually in the race.....Chelsea had basically won it by Christmas last year. Bayern are a far better side than anyone in England at present in my eyes too.
    Even this year it's looking like City will prove to be too good already but what has this got to do with Brendan Rodgers or Liverpool?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

ERG89 wrote: »
    I genuinely can't remember a season where more than 3 teams in the PL were actually in the race.....Chelsea had basically won it by Christmas last year. Bayern are a far better side than anyone in England at present in my eyes too.
    Even this year it's looking like City will prove to be too good already but what has this got to do with Brendan Rodgers or Liverpool?

You are missing my point. If Chelsea are poor this year, another mega club will be good. If United do well next year, for example, they have to hope that City, Arsenal, Chelsea and Pool to a lesser extent are worse. In the Bundesliga, if you are having a good season, you have to hope Bayern, and to a lesser extent Dortmund, are off their game.

There are double the number of teams who have the potential and resources to be excellent in any given year in the PL relative to the Bundesliga. This is inarguable tbh. And I agree, Bayern are far etter than all teams in the PL right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭the incredible pudding

Ottmar Hitzfeld's successful spell as manager, including a Champions League win in 1997, was far more praiseworthy.

It probably is more praise worthy but that shouldn't diminish Klopp's achivement with them. Dortmund were in an awful state before Klopp took over though, they almost got relegated and he came in and completely turned them around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Well having got home and had the chance to read up further on this (like I said, I'm in Toronto where football coverage is minimal at best, and only caught wind of it this morning while in work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

In Klopps first year as Dortmund manager Wolfsburg won the Bundesliga.

3 teams have won the premier league in the last 10 years.The EPL isn't very competitive at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

You are missing my point. If Chelsea are poor this year, another mega club will be good. If United do well next year, for example, they have to hope that City, Arsenal, Chelsea and Pool to a lesser extent are worse. In the Bundesliga, if you are having a good season, you have to hope Bayern, and to a lesser extent Dortmund, are off their game.

There are double the number of teams who have the potential and resources to be excellent in any given year in the PL relative to the Bundesliga. This is inarguable tbh. And I agree, Bayern are far etter than all teams in the PL right now.

If that's the case then surely someone outside of Man City Chelsea, and Man Utd should have won the EPL in the last 10 years?

The weaker the best team in a league is the more potential for other teams to win it. Wolfsburg finished second in the Bundesliga last year.If Bayern Munich weren't so brilliant they probably would have won the league but it's extremely difficult to win when the best team is so good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

Is changing your opinion in the space of a year and a half flip flopping? Because that was the original question he asked me

It was obvious after bringing Van Gaal up what he was angling for, it would have been better if he actually caught me out as you say and I denied ever wanting Klopp over Van Gaal but you'll see I didn't

You blatantly did say you wanted Klopp over Van Gaal.
    Originally Posted by :
    Rayne Wooney 15:40 21-04-2014
    Yeah but if there is even a sniff of getting someone like Klopp LVG isn't going to be first choice for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Dortmund were in an awful state before Klopp took over though, they almost got relegated and he came in and completely turned them around.

And then almost got them relegated again.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

They finished 7th last season, fairly comfortably clear of relegation.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

They finished 7th

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

That's not true.

Wolfsburg, Bremen and Stuttgart all won the Bundesliga since 2004 so that is 5 winners in 11 years. With the exception of Bayern Munich all without massive cash injections needed to be competitive like City and Chelsea had.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Hyperbole on both sides - the reality is Klopp is probably the best manager in his category.

He's not yet on the level of men like Guardiola, Mourinho, Benitez, Ancelotti.

If he performs as well as he has done at Dortmund, at Pool, then he will rightly be elevated to that level. What does he need to do to get there?

Simply. Win the league with Liverpool. Champions League won't matter, FA Cup won't matter, Second place in the league (we know now) won't matter.

Can he do that inside 3 years? Doubtful, in my opinion. He'll need more things to go right for him than wrong.

It's true that there are more "elite" teams in the EPL than there are in Germany for him to overcome. It's true that if last season's Champions have a bad day, then there is at least two other clubs able to just step into the place of them (this season that's Arsenal and City imo - then there's United, there's ALWAYS united unless they have another Moyes, which they won't, they've too much money), and he needs to fashion a team to compete up there, year-on-year, otherwise what happened with Suarez and Sterling will continue to happen. Young potential comes to fruitition then looks up and sees those clubs ahead of Pool, and wants more - either in other countries or in the EPL.

He has the pedigree to suggest that he can possibly make that happen, but it will require time. He's not a fast-fix sticking plaster. There'll be more downs than ups before he gets to where he needs to be.

While I agree with a lot of your post, if Klopp somehow won the CL with Liverpool, he would instantly go to Benitez's level in the eyes of most, I would imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Hyperbole on both sides - the reality is Klopp is probably the best manager in his category.

If he performs as well as he has done at Dortmund, at Pool, then he will rightly be elevated to that level. What does he need to do to get there?

Simply. Win the league with Liverpool. Champions League won't matter, FA Cup won't matter, Second place in the league (we know now) won't matter.

Can he do that inside 3 years? Doubtful, in my opinion. He'll need more things to go right for him than wrong.

It's true that there are more "elite" teams in the EPL than there are in Germany for him to overcome. It's true that if last season's Champions have a bad day, then there is at least two other clubs able to just step into the place of them (this season that's Arsenal and City imo - then there's United, there's ALWAYS united unless they have another Moyes, which they won't, they've too much money), and he needs to fashion a team to compete up there, year-on-year, otherwise what happened with Suarez and Sterling will continue to happen. Young potential comes to fruitition then looks up and sees those clubs ahead of Pool, and wants more - either in other countries or in the EPL.

He has the pedigree to suggest that he can possibly make that happen, but it will require time. He's not a fast-fix sticking plaster. There'll be more downs than ups before he gets to where he needs to be.

Liverpool fans wont expect him to win the league in 3 years though, we just want a bit of consistency and a decent shot at top 4 and build from there.

Wolfsburg, Bremen and Stuttgart all won the Bundesliga since 2004 so that is 5 winners in 11 years. With the exception of Bayern Munich all without massive cash injections needed to be competitive like City and Chelsea had.

This is the point he's making imo - it's easier to do well in Germany if Bayern aren't performing than to do well in England if one major club is not performing - because there is no equivalent in Germany - there is Bayern at the top level, and a group of clubs all operating a level or two below them - when Bayern flop it's up to one of them to be ready to make the move. They need to be at a certain stage of their cycle, some of it is luck, and some of it (as in Dortmund's case) is down to being able to hang on to the players, to get them or resist Bayern, for longer than would be normal. That's mostly down to the manager and senior players if Gerrard is to be believed.

As we are seeing in England right now, Chelsea are having a nightmare, but the "usual" other clubs are still at the top of the table, then there's a group below that, of which Liverpool are a part.

It's extremely hard to

a. break into that elite group
    b. stay there long term to the detriment of the "usual" clubs

As Liverpool are finding out, 2nd place finish 2 seasons ago, then drop back out. It happened to Spurs. It happened to Everton.

Only really City have displaced a team in the top tier, and that's down to money, money, money - which Liverpool don't have.

The team they displaced IS Liverpool.

I think getting in the top 4 & staying there (not dropping to 7th again) is his objective at the moment for these owners. If Rodgers was in the CL group stage, won a few cups and on target for a top 4 finish he would not have been asked to go so the whole league or bust thing is well erm :confused::confused:

niallo27 wrote: »
    Liverpool fans wont expect him to win the league in 3 years though, we just want a bit of consistency and a decent shot at top 4 and build from there.

What is a "decent shot" at top 4 though?

Eventually finishing fifth? What if the EPL loses the 4th CL spot? What then, because if that happened "top 4" suddenly becomes "top 3", and probably an impossible task in the medium term.

But yeah, define a "decent shot" at Top 4, because it's rather vague and arbitrary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

niallo27 wrote: »

So if Klopp takes over, and come this time 3 years hasn't challenged for the title and doesn't look like he will, you would be happy?

That's very surprising tbh, that's a Spurs (I mean no disrespect to them) mentality.

If Klopp, should he be appointed, is given then time and money BR got then the minimum I'd expect if i was a lfc fan is a genuine tilt at the title by year 3.

I think getting in the top 4 & staying there (not dropping to 7th again) is his objective at the moment for these owners. If Rodgers was in the CL group stage, won a few cups and on target for a top 4 finish he would not have been asked to go so the whole league or bust thing is well erm :confused::confused:

OK cool, if we accept for a minute a league win isn't an objective that most Pool fans are striving for (I don't believe that though), what has Klopp done to suggest that he can get a club into the CL places, and, crucially, stay there?

Brendan Rodgers got Pool into the CL spot, then dropped to 7th.

Kloppt got Dortmund to the CL spot, then dropped to 7th. Fair enough, he maintained the CL spot for longer than a season, but didn't "stay there".

Eventually the manager can only do so much to keep the players who get the team to that position, and they'll be drawn by the clubs who are regularly in those positions, either in England, or elsewhere.

If Klopp, should he be appointed, is given then time and money BR got then the minimum I'd expect if i was a lfc fan is a genuine tilt at the title by year 3.

Except that's not the reality - Rodgers had a genuine tilt at the title and is out.

I don't think flirting with 4th - 6th place will be enough for FSG now, being honest. Rodgers would consistently have you around the lower end of that mark I feel, so I think if Klopp does come in, that's a real statement of intent from the owners.

They will want him pushing for titles and silverware, even if its not realistic due to the strength of the other sides in England. That won't be an excuse to them now, I feel.

If Klopp came 5th this year, and say 5th or 6th again next, I very much think they'd be out of a job if no silverware found its way into Anfield in the meantime. Even then, he could well get the Kenny treatment. FSG don't really adhere to sentiment.

So yeah, I very much think FSG going for Klopp is a sign that they are expecting him to deliver.

• Advertisement

OK cool, if we accept for a minute a league win isn't an objective that most Pool fans are striving for (I don't believe that though), what has Klopp done to suggest that he can get a club into the CL places, and, crucially, stay there?

Brendan Rodgers got Pool into the CL spot, then dropped to 7th.

Kloppt got Dortmund to the CL spot, then dropped to 7th. Fair enough, he maintained the CL spot for longer than a season, but didn't "stay there".

Eventually the manager can only do so much to keep the players who get the team to that position, and they'll be drawn by the clubs who are regularly in those positions, either in England, or elsewhere.

Long term the objective is the leage LONG TERM. His objective now IF he arrives is to steady the ship, try secure a CL spot. Get money in, the profile of the club up and hopefully bring in better players as a result of that and then challenge for the league. NOBODY is saying win the league there lickidy split Jurgen or Fúck off so your post i'm afraid is from the moon. My stay there comment was about a poster saying 2nd wasn't enough for Rodgers as really he finished there once and 7th every other season
    This is the point he's making imo - it's easier to do well in Germany if Bayern aren't performing than to do well in England if one major club is not performing - because there is no equivalent in Germany - there is Bayern at the top level, and a group of clubs all operating a level or two below them - when Bayern flop it's up to one of them to be ready to make the move. They need to be at a certain stage of their cycle, some of it is luck, and some of it (as in Dortmund's case) is down to being able to hang on to the players, to get them or resist Bayern, for longer than would be normal. That's mostly down to the manager and senior players if Gerrard is to be believed.

As we are seeing in England right now, Chelsea are having a nightmare, but the "usual" other clubs are still at the top of the table, then there's a group below that, of which Liverpool are a part.

It's extremely hard to

a. break into that elite group
    b. stay there long term to the detriment of the "usual" clubs

As Liverpool are finding out, 2nd place finish 2 seasons ago, then drop back out. It happened to Spurs. It happened to Everton.

Only really City have displaced a team in the top tier, and that's down to money, money, money - which Liverpool don't have.

The team they displaced IS Liverpool.

Pretty sure Bayern were in a CL final one of the seasons Dortmund won the league so they must have "underperformed" that year so :rolleyes:
    Can you just say United were bad any year Chelsea or Arsenal won it so since they have won the majority of leagues since the PL was renamed

I don't think it's beyond him, but it's a much harder task than the one in Germany.

But unless FSG back up that ambition with spending then he's on a hiding to nothing. Consistently spending the 5th highest on wages is going to consistently get you an average of a 5th place finish - that may include a season in second and a season in seventh though.

As it already has done.

So if Klopp takes over, and come this time 3 years hasn't challenged for the title and doesn't look like he will, you would be happy?

That's very surprising tbh, that's a Spurs (I mean no disrespect to them) mentality.

Well if we say we want to win a title we are called deluded and living in the past. With all the money in the premier league i know how incredibly hard it would be to win a title.

What is a "decent shot" at top 4 though?

Eventually finishing fifth? What if the EPL loses the 4th CL spot? What then, because if that happened "top 4" suddenly becomes "top 3", and probably an impossible task in the medium term.

But yeah, define a "decent shot" at Top 4, because it's rather vague and arbitrary.

Challenging for top 4 and making the breakthrough next season or the third season. If he has liverpool back in the champions league within 3 years i will happy.

Can you just say United were bad any year Chelsea or Arsenal won it so since they have won the majority of leagues since the PL was renamed

Nope, my clearly stated position is that I believe United, Arsenal, City and Chelsea are all operating on a similar level to what Bayern are in Germany.

Forget Europe for a minute, it's irrelevant to this discussion really.

Then you've got Spus and Pool below them - relying on one of those sides having a bad year so they can claim the 4th spot. But they can't claim it on an on-going basis, because those clubs have the wherewithal to bounce straight back - look at the difference between United dropping out of the top 4 and Liverpool dropping from 2nd.

United straight back in, Pool floundering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Except that's not the reality - Rodgers had a genuine tilt at the title and is out.

BR got lucky in the players he had for 13/14, despite what some people think I believe that if Suarez was not in that team they wouldn't have come close to 2nd.

The following season they went backwards and this season to date backwards further still.

It was also the performances or lack there of that were the issue for the last 18 months, hapless for the most part. If they had have scraped 4th like we did last year he would still be in a job today IMO.

Consistency which he had at Dortmund is what Liverpool want now.

Doubt you'll get many expecting him to win the league, 13/14 was very much an aberration. Anything close to Rafa and he'll have done an excellent job, winning a league would be exceptional given the disadvantages Liverpool are at.

Achievements at Dortmund or the closest I can think of. Atletico would still fall short of Liverpool winning a league because well. there are 4 bigger financial giants to compete with.

Basically, regular CL football would be Liverpool punching above their weight, a league title would be an incredible achievement in the modern business of football.

BR got lucky in the players he had for 13/14, despite what some people think I believe that if Suarez was not in that team they wouldn't have come close to 2nd.

The following season they went backwards and this season to date backwards further still.

It was also the performances or lack there of that were the issue for the last 18 months, hapless for the most part. If they had have scraped 4th like we did last year he would still be in a job today IMO.

Staying in the CL is the target.

Consistency that eventually dried up because it's just not sustainable (or more worryingly, he got bored) in that kind of environment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Man Utd fans badly wanted Klopp in 2013. Now he is set to be Liverpool manager he isn't that great lol.

Advertisement