Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Energia - 22% off Electricity

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,059 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

konline wrote: »
    Thanks, moved to Bordgais for both electricity and gas. Got 12% and 10% discount + 100 euro + one free Boiler service + 1000 Tesco clubcard points.
    I have received the last Tesco clubcard points in the email after signing up, hopefully I will get them.

Thanks I've just switched from Energia to Bord Gais for both as my discounted rate finished in May, said I better do it before the winter takes hold. No issue with Energia, it's just a pity they won't allow existing customers avail of the special discounted rates new users have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭James Delaney

My contract with Energia is up tomorrow - i rang them last mth & they told me I wud get a 2nd yr duscount on both G&E - prob lower than a new customer.

ALWAYS check NET Unit Rate INC VAT & STANDING CHARGE AMT. when comparing prices.

I c posts stating they find Energua good - so what ?
    All of them are good - Its down to PRICE.

Wud ave no bother switching - Keeps these firms competitive.

Thanks I've just switched from Energia to Bord Gais for both as my discounted rate finished in May, said I better do it before the winter takes hold. No issue with Energia, it's just a pity they won't allow existing customers avail of the special discounted rates new users have.

Did Energia not allow u a discount as a 2nd yr custoner ?
    Also how did the companies compare on their Standing Charges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,839 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I had an electric Ireland sales rep at the door offering a 15% discount to sign up. He was showing me how the standing charge was much less than energia/airtricity etc and he was also saying about a 2.5% discount they will be introducing from 16 November.

I just checked bonkers and based on my usage, it's suggesting board gais with an 18% discount. Does this include the €100 cash back too I wonder? It doesn't mention it anywhere and if I sign up to this, would the 2.5% apply in 2 weeks too, or is that ONLY for electric ireland customers?

Would I be better off checking back in 2-3 weeks when other companies may have introduced better offers with this in mind?

Any help appreciated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

cormie wrote: »
    I had an electric Ireland sales rep at the door offering a 15% discount to sign up. He was showing me how the standing charge was much less than energia/airtricity etc and he was also saying about a 2.5% discount they will be introducing from 16 November.

I just checked bonkers and based on my usage, it's suggesting board gais with an 18% discount. Does this include the €100 cash back too I wonder? It doesn't mention it anywhere and if I sign up to this, would the 2.5% apply in 2 weeks too, or is that ONLY for electric ireland customers?

Would I be better off checking back in 2-3 weeks when other companies may have introduced better offers with this in mind?

Any help appreciated!

Go straight to Bord Gais site and 10% + €100 cash back is there and its variable rate so it can (it don't mean it will) go down in few weeks.

The offer is on on Bonkers page if you scroll down.

Any help appreciated!
    Those sales reps are a pack of fecking liars, don't entertain them at all.

Thanks for that. So €100 works out at €8.33 saving a month over a 12 month contract. My current airtricity plan just so happens to be €83 a month so if my maths are right (which I'm not sure :P) the €100 cashback is basically a 20% discount for the year (the 10% and then the 8.33/10%).

Is that right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

JTMan wrote: »
    Energia are offering a "22% discount" (discount off their own standard rate) on electricity via Bonkers.ie.

Depending on your usage, for many people, it is the best deal out there for electricity.

Maybe wait the 2wks - also there cud b a 14day cooling off period on ur new contract. Alternatively switch subject to you being granted any further duscounts during tge yr.

• Advertisement

So it doesn't look like the prices have really dropped since the nov 16th when the reduced rate on electricity was to come in? Or have I missed something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭JTMan

Energia now have a '26% off' promotion (discount on their own 'standard' prices) with Bonkers.ie. Details here.

I also got an email from airtricity sayng they were dropping their rates by 2%

Haven't had a chance to compare them all again since though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭screamer

Dunno if thats correct I got quoted a better saving on the switcher site than that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭ablelocks

on the energia website, it says 26% off and €50 cash back on your bill. (I'll be switching from SSE unless they match - they did call today and offered 15% discount if I stayed with them)

It doesn't matter what discount is given - it matters what U ARE CHARGED for the CONTRACTUAL PERIOD.

To get the BEST VALUE U get EACH energy company to confirm via email the RATE U WILL BE CHARGED INC. VAT + The STANDING CHARGE.

These companies sometimes quote rates EXCLUDING VAT, & don't tell u what the Standing Charges are etc.

I reckon they're just trying to confuse customers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Its same as eircom only 20 for 4 months but its actually 18 month contracts with high monthly charge. Always hoping to confuse customers who don't ask the important questions.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

It doesn't matter what discount is given - it matters what U ARE CHARGED for the CONTRACTUAL PERIOD.

To get the BEST VALUE U get EACH energy company to confirm via email the RATE U WILL BE CHARGED INC. VAT + The STANDING CHARGE.

These companies are quoting rate EXCLUDING VAT, & don't tell u what the Standing Charges are etc.

I reckon they're just trying to confuse customers.

It really isn't that confusing. Simply take you usage for the previous year and put it into bonkers or similar site and it will tell you how much that usage should cost over the next year for each company.

Of course your usage for the next year might be different, but it is unlikely to differ radically.
    TheDriver wrote: »
    Its same as eircom only 20 for 4 months but its actually 18 month contracts with high monthly charge. Always hoping to confuse customers who don't ask the important questions.

Doesn't seem to be the case with Energia or any of the Electricity or Gas plans I've been on over the last few years.

This Energia plan is 26% off their standard rate for the next year and the contract is only 1 year long, so no catch.

The only "catch" is after the 1st year your rate changes back to the standard rate and I suppose they hope people will forget to change. Personally I set a calendar reminder for a year later and switch my gas and electricity plan literally a day after my old contract runs out.

My current contracts are up on the 17th of this month and I'll be moving to this great Energia plan the day after. Only takes about 30 minutes to move.

This is genuinely the biggest discount I've ever seen in the Irish electricity market, I don't know why people are bad mouthing it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

bk wrote: »
    It really isn't that confusing. Simply take you usage for the previous year and put it into bonkers or similar site and it will tell you how much that usage should cost over the next year for each company.

Of course your usage for the next year might be different, but it is unlikely to differ radically.

I agree its the usage that matters.
    Its findable by looking over old bills which allow calculation of the usage and cost.

Ok Usage MIGHT Matter - if there a lower tariff based on usage - I don't think there is?

But its the price they CHARGE U IN YR 1 thats important - Not all Standard Prices are the same - 26% discount MIGHT NOT be better than say 16% - it depends on their STANDARD RATE - So it the CHARGED PRICE U go by.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭loopymum

I just switched using switcher and there is €50 off the first bill but there doesn't seemt to be €50 off with bonkers.

I prefer the bonkers website though, much more clear cut and if you sign up on bonkers, the correct rate is there but switcher brings you to SSE directly and you are shown the cheapest rates even if you can't avail of those ones.
    Switcher also doesn't take into account night rate usage like bonkers

• Advertisement

Why did you go with SSE instead of Energia if bk is saying Energia is the best deal he's ever seen and seems to be well into getting good Electricity deals? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭sept09baby

Energia offer is very good. If you use the bonkers site it shows the difference in standing charge and cost per unit (before and after vat) between your current supplier and Energia.

For me I'd save €196 (breakdown attached)

Energia coming up as best deal on bonkers for me too, says I'll save €165 in year one. Should I just sign up through bonkers or do you get an extra €50 cash back signing up direct?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Why are the unit rates on Energia's own website and bonkers different?

Energia Electricity discount rate: 0.1588 per kWh (new customer, DD etc.)
    Bonkers: 0.1455 per kWh

Energia Gas discounted rate: 0.0511 per kWh
    Bonkers: 0.04694 per kWh

I also notice that my 'savings' on Bonkers is against the standard price for electricity and gas and not my current tariff that it asked me for during the comparison process? A bit of bait and switch going on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭devil-80

I'm getting 0,1555 from electricity also every 2months from supervalue points 10€ off whats is the point of switching for me? Because I don't see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,891 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

If anyone does a lot of shopping at SuperValu (and scans their SuperValu card at the till) you can build up points to get €10 off every Electric Ireland bill.

I'm now on the cheapest electricity pricing I've had in a few years after taking the reduction into account as I get €10 off every bill (plus they had the lowest rate when I signed up back in September)

Worth bearing in mind when switching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

devil-80 wrote: »
    I'm getting 0,1555 from electricity also every 2months from supervalue points 10€ off whats is the point of switching for me? Because I don't see it.

Airtricity have €50 cash back offer and 0.1527
    -you'd have to spend €4000 in supervalu to get 5 €10 vouchers I think

They also have no cash back and 0.1431 which is better for heavy users.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭devil-80

you getting your points also for paying electricity bill so you dont have to spend so much-anyway its easy to get it as i always have it and not doing shopping over there all the time.

Question about gas/electricity. I currently have gas with flo gas and elec with energia. When my year is up, I will move my electricity elsewhere but can I move my gas to energia and be a "new customer"?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Ok Usage MIGHT Matter - if there a lower tariff based on usage - I don't think there is?

But its the price they CHARGE U IN YR 1 thats important - Not all Standard Prices are the same - 26% discount MIGHT NOT be better than say 16% - it depends on their STANDARD RATE - So it the CHARGED PRICE U go by.

Yes, of course each companies standard rate and standing charge differ, but that is where the price comparison sites come in. Just enter your yearly consumption rate and the price comparison site should do all the hard work of figuring out who would cost you the least over the next year, taking all of that into account.

Really the only catch is to make sure you switch providers straight after your contract runs out each year, to make sure you are getting the best deal.

Of course most providers are betting on peoples laziness, that people will sign up for a great deal, but will then not bother to move again after the first year. And I'm sure that works for most people.

But for the crafty consumer here on boards, there is definitely great value to be gotten by moving every year and it really isn't hard to get into the habit of reviewing your options once a year. I do it every January and it takes no more then 2 hours to compare and then switch providers. Between gas and electricity, that is an easy €500 saving per year, easy money for 2 hours work.
    Why did you go with SSE instead of Energia if bk is saying Energia is the best deal he's ever seen and seems to be well into getting good Electricity deals? :D

Could be he was already with Energia, these deals are often only available to new customers, so you have to swap to providers every year to get the best deal. But sometimes that means you have to go with the second best deal if you are already with the provider with the best deal, but your contract is up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,891 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Hmm no, I go shopping in my local SuperValu approx every 4 days and spend about €30 each time.

Then have €10 off electricity every 2 months.

So probably spend about €450-500 every 2 months ... which equals 500 points, that then converts into a €10-off.

So I guess €2,500 for €50 off (actually probably more like €2,000 as you get points for paying electric bill)

I also got a €50 off when I signed up to Electric Ireland last year, not sure if they still have that.

2 hours? Being honest, its more like 15 mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

I switched from SSE Airtricity to Energia online yesterday, saving myself around €200 per year, my 1-year discounted contract with Airtricity expired this week. Just submitted my own meter reading this morning and all done. My biggest hassle was trying to re-set my password with Airtricity, they have a ridiculous system in place requiring almost a random word generator to be used which is impossible to remember.

Bonkers.ie is great, makes switching so easy to do. Last year I only was reminded to switch after 2 flirty young wans came to the front door asking me to switch, no need from them this year ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭insullation

They also have no cash back and 0.1431 which is better for heavy users.

2000 spend required as you get 10 euro with every 400 spent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭loopymum

SSE were cheapest for me annually by about 15 euro and them add the 50 euro off the first bill by far the cheapest.
    I'm on rural night saver using close to 1000s annually

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

loopymum wrote: »
    SSE were cheapest for me annually by about 15 euro and them add the 50 euro off the first bill by far the cheapest.
    I'm on rural night saver using close to 1000s annually

When I was on nightsaver it was cheaper to stay with airtricity too after the year by ringing and asking for the loyalty discount.

TheDriver wrote: »
    2 hours? Being honest, its more like 15 mins.

This is what's throwing me off, between all the new account registration, new passwords, signing up through emails, meter readings, getting used to new system, it could be closer to 2 hours over the course of the year :pac:

What way does it work if you go back to a company you've already been with? Has anyone managed to keep their same website login details etc or do you need to start fresh each time you switch back?

This is what's throwing me off, between all the new account registration, new passwords, signing up through emails, meter readings, getting used to new system, it could be closer to 2 hours over the course of the year :pac:

What way does it work if you go back to a company you've already been with? Has anyone managed to keep their same website login details etc or do you need to start fresh each time you switch back?

I have returned to the ESB and my old login and password still worked fine.

I highly recommend using 1Password, makes creating passwords and keeping track of passwords WAY easier.

1 to 2 hours is a realistic time for changing both gas and electricity accounts IMO, but with savign about €400, €200 per hour is a pretty good pay rate :)

My process looks like:

1) Log into existing accounts to check usage over last 12 months.
    2) Enter details of last 12 months usage in bonkers to see the best deal
    3) Read the meters
    4) Sign up to the new accounts

Easiest money I've ever made :)

I've been doing the maths.
    based on current figures it made sense to do dual fuel with energia.
    Looking at my bills changed my plan.
    I'm paying flogas 4.42 c /kwh which is even cheaper than their current 20% discount for new customers. Energia were offering 5.105

For electricity with Bord Gais, I'm paying 15.81 Energia are offering 13.98. they also have €50 cashback on their site.

I just need to get the kids to bed :)

Edit: I got as far as the final page on the switch. It saws the following

Discounted Rates
    Electricity rates:Year 1
    24hr: 0.1606 € per kWh

Standing charge: €158.05 per annum

This differs from what bonkers gives

Charges (excluding VAT
    )

Cost per unit (kWh) 12.32 cent

Charges (including VAT)

Cost per unit (kWh) 13.98 cent

Has anyone any idea about the difference in prices?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

Same here, quoted Airtricity prices seem to be higher than what I'm actually paying (including VAT), so much so that the present yearly bill is ~15 euro cheaper than what bonkers recommends - Energia as saving me 288 euro...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Doodah7

I queried the bonkers.ie rates a couple of pages back to no answer? Where are they getting them from?

tallpaul wrote: »
    I queried the bonkers.ie rates a couple of pages back to no answer? Where are they getting them from?

Why don't you message and query Bonkers yourself and let us know? We aren't bonkers support here!

When you enter your details in bonkers, you put in the date when you started your plan and what plan you were on, they then select the rates from their history.

Perhaps you entered the wrong plan or start date?

Or perhaps Bonkers aren't taking into account changes in the rate from the day you started?

Or perhaps it is just a mistake! Could be any number of reasons. It is a good question you have, but it is directed at the wrong people.

BTW Bonkers and other cost comparison sites and the electricity companies are all regulated by the Irish energy regulator who has very strict rules on the transparency in pricing information and cost comparison sites.

bk wrote: »

BTW Bonkers and other cost comparison sites and the electricity companies are all regulated by the Irish energy regulator who has very strict rules on the transparency in pricing information and cost comparison sites.

Hehe, regulator and strict in the same sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

My contract with SSE is up in March. I usually go to bonkers as well and see what deal looks best. Very hard for bonkers to compare your plan if you are on a discount deal with your supplier ( the rate you are being charged may not actually display ) however I usually note the best deal and just phone SSE and ask them what is the best rate they will offer me for a further year. IN March last year they offered me 14% off their standard rates, which I accepted for 1 year. It looked ok at the time, interesting to see what they offer this year. Switching time, maybe.

I tried contacting both companies this morning but of course they dont work Saturdays!

I can only assume the difference in rates is to do with the deal Bonkers gets for bulk transfers/referrals.

I'll confirm it on Monday as the €50 cashback looks like its only available on the Energia website.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea

Of course usage matters. No discount available is going to make much of a dent if a person is careless with their usage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea

This post has been deleted.
    Huh? :confused:

Discussion about this topic on Radio 1 at the moment by the way.

Azalea wrote: »
    Of course usage matters. No discount available is going to make much of a dent if a person is careless with their usage.

Agreed usage matters but its still important to know the unit rate.
    I was looking at gas. I was paying less with Flogas than Energia were offering with their discount.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭Furzy

I've been doing the maths.
    based on current figures it made sense to do dual fuel with energia.
    Looking at my bills changed my plan.
    I'm paying flogas 4.42 c /kwh which is even cheaper than their current 20% discount for new customers. Energia were offering 5.105

For electricity with Bord Gais, I'm paying 15.81 Energia are offering 13.98. they also have €50 cashback on their site.

I just need to get the kids to bed :)

Edit: I got as far as the final page on the switch. It saws the following

Discounted Rates
    Electricity rates:Year 1
    24hr: 0.1606 € per kWh

Standing charge: €158.05 per annum

This differs from what bonkers gives

Charges (excluding VAT
    )

Cost per unit (kWh) 12.32 cent

Charges (including VAT)

Cost per unit (kWh) 13.98 cent

Has anyone any idea about the difference in prices?

.... interesting - I switched a couple of days ago and the rate I was quoted in my confirmation email from Bonkers was the Energia CHEEP260 rate of €13.98. I now see that the welcome email from Energia thanks me for switching to Smartchoice Electricity from Energia. It doesn't give a rate but on the Energia website the Smartchoice rate is €16.06. Energia say I'll receive a letter in a few days outlining chosen plan and tariffs so hoping it's the cheaper rate - otherwise I'll be switching back to Airtricity.

Furzy wrote: »
    .... interesting - I switched a couple of days ago and the rate I was quoted in my confirmation email from Bonkers was the Energia CHEEP260 rate of €13.98. I now see that the welcome email from Energia thanks me for switching to Smartchoice Electricity from Energia. It doesn't give a rate but on the Energia website the Smartchoice rate is €16.06. Energia say I'll receive a letter in a few days outlining chosen plan and tariffs so hoping it's the cheaper rate - otherwise I'll be switching back to Airtricity.

Keep us informed .

• Advertisement
Advertisement